Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,404 members, 7,781,161 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:06 AM

An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities (3299 Views)

18 foreign Universities Banned By The NUC (see Full List) / Locations Of The Newly-Approved 6 Federal Colleges Of Education / JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by Hedriz(m): 7:19am On Dec 28, 2017
AN EYE OPENER ON THE NEWLY APPROVED GRADING SYSTEM BY THE NATIONAL UNIVERSITIES COMMISSION FOR NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES

By;
Shotunde Oladimeji

It is no longer news that the National Universities Commission (NUC) has adopted a new grading system which happens to be entirely different from the one we are used to.

However, it is important to note that this grading system would take effect from the 2017/2018 academic session; implying that it affects only the new intakes and subsequent intakes, thereby giving preceding ones nothing to bother about.

There have been uproars from concerned Nigerians condemning the initiative and positing firmly that Nigeria has numerous problems to be battled and things like this should not be an item on the list to be tackled. We seem to have forgotten that problems are very contagious and one leads to the other.

For the benefit of those that would find themselves with this new system, you have nothing and something to worry about. The fact is that the new grading system is a very laudable initiative and definitely one to embrace.

Having spoken to those in the academic sphere (Insiders), I discovered that it would, to a large extent, encourage hard work among the students. I will juxtapose the new system and the old system to give an insight into what I am trying to pass across.

Under the old system, we had a grading system that was largely discouraging and to a large extent not truly reflective. Take a look at this:

1.50 - 2.39-- Third Class
2.40 - 3.49-- Second Class Lower
3.50 - 4.49-- Second Class Upper
4.50 - 5.00-- First Class

At times, I tend to question the large spacing between this categorization. Does it mean that a student with a 3.51 or possibly 3.62 would have the same degree classification with a student who graduates with a 4.40 or 4.48? Or another with a 2.40 would have the same degree classification with someone with a 3.49? Isn't it ridiculous It is questionable and largely defective.

Now, let us take a look at the new grading system which happens to be very reflective:

1.00 - 1.99-- Third Class
2.00 - 2.99-- Second Class Lower
3.00 - 3.49-- Second Class Upper
3.50 - 4.00-- First Class

Can you see the spacing in there. There is no way an hardworking student would not fall in the First class or Second class categories. Luckily for university undergraduates, for you to achieve an "A" in a course, you need to have a "70" and above score unlike the polytechnics where an "A" starts from "75" and above.

Subjectively, I did an analysis which showed that attaining a first class is easier under the new grading system. If you correlate the 3.50/4.00 which is the least to attain a first class in the new system to the 4.50/5.00 which is also the least you can have to attain a first class in the old system, you will discover that on a scale of 5.00, having 4.375/5.00 would earn you a first class (3.5/4 *5). However the analysis does not hold water after I carried out a simulation and discovered that it is all the same since we would be representing a "5" as a "4" to serve as an "A".

Overall, the advantages of the new grading system are as follows:

1. It would eliminate mediocrity in the system I.e it would put you where you rightly belong. (Someone with a 2.50 wouldn't have the same degree classification with another with a 3.49)

2. It aligns with the standard used in some countries such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand and a host of others thereby making our grading system to align with international best practices.

3.It will help in distinguishing job worthy graduates. Making a Third Class under the new grading system shows the unemployability of such a person and we should note that third class increases the unemployability of our graduates.

4. Uniformity: Having been faced with the challenge of having two systems of grading where some institutions use 6 grade point of 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 for letter grades of A, B, C, D, E and F respectively and others removing the E grade thereby having a grading system with grade points of 5, 4, 3, 2, 0 for letter grades of A, B, C, D and F respectively, this system, if complied with, will ensure uniformity across all institutions thereby eliminating any technical implications on the grading of students. It would also eliminate instances where some universities would use the 5 point grading system while some others like the University of Ibadan (UI) would use the 7 point grading system.

I am not disputing the fact that funding is a major problem in the educational sector. However, we should note that there are some unpronounced or not too pronounced problems that if not well addressed would snow ball into bigger problems and an example of these is the grading system. The problem facing Nigeria educational system is multi faceted and the diagnosis and proffering of solution must also be multi faceted and should take a multi faceted approach.

Thanks for reading.

Shotunde Oladimeji
(Shotundeoladimeji07@gmail.com)

Kindly RBC

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by TheHotspur(m): 7:31am On Dec 28, 2017
That means I have first class now

see what PMB has caused, What happens to our result now Are we going to get a new one
Re: An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by jericco1(m): 8:23am On Dec 28, 2017
I don't see any difference. abeg make I do leave school

1 Like

Re: An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by Nobody: 8:48am On Dec 28, 2017
angry

∆ All these ones na wash...
Who cares about the grading system in Switzerland Australia and whatever country have you.

The 0.01 factor can not be eliminated completely... 1.99 and 2.00 for instance.

New Grading system is not what is needed now...

What about those that have the certificates already? How will they get jobs? How will the government make them self employed? NGOs. How will Churches, Mosques establish their jobless member rather than taking too much from them? Even if it is going to be on a small or medium scale.

Introducing a new grading system and not breaking the chain of unemployment is useless...

1 Like

Re: An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by Jethrolite(m): 11:23am On Dec 28, 2017
What happens to those who have moved a class upward?
Re: An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by motivationspika(m): 3:22pm On Dec 28, 2017
Honestly, there is no difference between the two. Do the calculations well.
Re: An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by Oladimeji07(m): 8:15pm On Dec 28, 2017
OrestesDante:
angry

∆ All these ones na wash...
Who cares about the grading system in Switzerland Australia and whatever country have you.

The 0.01 factor can not be eliminated completely... 1.99 and 2.00 for instance.

New Grading system is not what is needed now...

What about those that have the certificates already? How will they get jobs? How will the government make them self employed? NGOs. How will Churches, Mosques establish their jobless member rather than taking too much from them? Even if it is going to be on a small or medium scale.

Introducing a new grading system and not breaking the chain of unemployment is useless...

Brother.... Reason the other way... Look at the positives
Re: An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by Nobody: 8:20pm On Dec 28, 2017
Oladimeji07:

Brother.... Reason the other way... Look at the positives

angry

∆ Which other way??
Talk now? We solve one problem and create 10 more for ourselves
Re: An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by Desyner: 10:18pm On Dec 28, 2017
The new system is slightly better.
Re: An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by RichardKajola(m): 11:45pm On Dec 28, 2017
unijos is already using this grading system since 2015
Re: An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by Bifrost: 3:41am On Dec 29, 2017
TheHotspur:
That means I have first class now

see what PMB has caused, What happens to our result now Are we going to get a new one

You're very ignorant.
Re: An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by Bifrost: 3:44am On Dec 29, 2017
motivationspika:
Honestly, there is no difference between the two. Do the calculations well.

Leave these people saying they've moved up to firstclass and 2¹
Re: An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by Oladimeji07(m): 3:46am On Dec 29, 2017
OrestesDante:

angry

∆ Which other way??

Talk now? We solve one problem and create 10 more for ourselves

I disagree. We are not creating problems for ourselves. I would implore you to read the last paragraph carefully.
Re: An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by Nobody: 6:51am On Dec 29, 2017
Oladimeji07:

I disagree. We are not creating problems for ourselves. I would implore you to read the last paragraph carefully.

angry

∆ Alright!! But fūçk the article ∆
Re: An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by Bifrost: 7:45am On Dec 29, 2017
OrestesDante:

angry

∆ Alright!! But fūçk the article ∆

∆ Nobody forced you to read right?∆
Re: An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by Nobody: 7:55am On Dec 29, 2017
Bifrost:

∆ Nobody forced you to read right?∆

angry

∆ Nobody truly ∆

1 Like

Re: An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by TheHotspur(m): 4:21pm On Dec 29, 2017
Bifrost:

You're very ignorant.

Thank you sir

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: An Eye Opener On The Newly Approved Grading System By The Nuc For Universities by Bifrost: 6:38pm On Dec 29, 2017
TheHotspur:

Thank you sir
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
you're welcome dear. grin

(1) (Reply)

Chinese Boy Inserts Sewing Needle In His Urethra To Stay Awake And Do Home Work / Nda Pre Degree Form Is Now Available / A Nigerian Wins $400,000 After Finishing Second At World Chemistry Competition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.