Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,403 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:31 AM

Uk Election On May 6; With Polls - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Uk Election On May 6; With Polls (8153 Views)

Poll: Which party would you vote for

Labour: 50% (14 votes)
Conservatives: 14% (4 votes)
Lib Derms: 32% (9 votes)
UKIP: 0% (0 votes)
BNP: 3% (1 vote)
Green party: 0% (0 votes)
Others: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Ben Carson Now Joint Top With Trump In US GOP Polls After AntiMuslim Comments / Ben Carson Surges In Polls After Debate Performance / Uk Election Called - May 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by snowdrops(m): 12:53pm On Apr 06, 2010
British prime minister Gordon Brown today announced May 6 as polling day. His party the Labour party is behind in most opinion polls to rivals the conservative party. The latter look set to produce the next British PM come may 6.

The conservatives [Tories] have a reputation of being the nasty party due to unfavourable records on discrimination against minorities. They have stated their intention on putting a limit to the number of immigrants to britain. Critics have called this unworkable. This if passed can make life more difficult for would be migrants from Nigeria, and we would need to wait for any impact on Nigerian temporary residents here. Other fringe parties such as UKIP, BNP and the Green party have also made significant strides.

PS; i wonder how many Nigerians in UK are registered to vote. And if so who would you vote for. There are up to 1 million Nigerians in the Uk [legal/illegal, direct/indirect descendants] and thats constitutes a good number of the voting public. I am creating a poll for nairalanders in the UK so we can get a feel of which party we want at 10 Downinf street in the next parliament.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by snowdrops(m): 2:15pm On Apr 06, 2010
All lavour votes so far. Would be interesting to know why many foregners are alledged to support labour.

Also, again i ask how many of us would be voting on may 6? If we dont and we get a conservative govt or eg a BNP MP/councillor, it could make life miserable for immigrants/ethnic minorities.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Ibime(m): 6:19pm On Apr 06, 2010
Its Conservatives turn abeg. . . .
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 7:39pm On Apr 06, 2010
BNP.

Since they've been forced to take other races by the courts now. cool

I am tired of Nigerian immigrant coming here to ruin it for us all. grin

Seriously, I think Conservative may be the one to go for this time. Labour are probably doing damage to the UK in a long term, but let us see how it goes.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 11:41pm On Apr 06, 2010
Funny how you an immigrant would wish the doors closed on prospective immigrants.
Dont worry the country will not become overcrowded as the fear mongers in the right wing want ppl to believe.
ElRazur:

BNP.

Since they've been forced to take other races by the courts now. cool

I am tired of Nigerian immigrant coming here to ruin it for us all. grin

Seriously, I think Conservative may be the one to go for this time. Labour are probably doing damage to the UK in a long term, but let us see how it goes.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 4:11pm On Apr 07, 2010
osaass:

Funny how you an immigrant would wish the doors closed on prospective immigrants.
Dont worry the country will not become overcrowded as the fear mongers in the right wing want ppl to believe.

Woooooossssh!

That's the sounds it makes as it goes over your head. smiley
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 4:14pm On Apr 07, 2010
ElRazur:

Woooooossssh!

That's the sounds it makes as it goes over your head. smiley

The butterfly calls itself a bird.
Because dem manage give you stay for uk after your false asylum claims you think you are now a white man. You must be a clown.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 6:11pm On Apr 07, 2010
osaass:

The butterfly calls itself a bird.
Because dem manage give you stay for uk after your false asylum claims you think you are now a white man. You must be a clown.

Do you understand English language? Do you? I am guessing no. Allow me to break it down for you in simple terms. My first statement was a light hearted humour. Also, I made a serious comments by saying "Seriously . . ". Despite all of these you appeared to think that is my stance etc.

I then make a second post telling you that you do not get it hence the "wooooosh" [A phrase used when someone is not getting something obvious] and now you result to showing how ignorant you are? Nice.

I am guessing my statement touched a nerve and you had to act all funny right?

I think I met you at Chamotex's party, omo I beg you look more intelligent than you are sounding right now sha.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 11:31am On Apr 08, 2010
ElRazur:

Do you understand English language? Do you? I am guessing no. Allow me to break it down for you in simple terms. My first statement was a light hearted humour. Also, I made a serious comments by saying "Seriously . . ". Despite all of these you appeared to think that is my stance etc.

I then make a second post telling you that you do not get it hence the "wooooosh" [A phrase used when someone is not getting something obvious] and now you result to showing how ignorant you are? Nice.

I am guessing my statement touched a nerve and you had to act all funny right?

I think I met you at Chamotex's party, omo I beg you look more intelligent than you are sounding right now sha.
Another troll all out to derail threads. You spent ages contructing insults at another person. If you are asked to make useful comments you brain would go into meltdown. If you want to share some dry humour, there is a joke section and seriously thats where you ilk belong.
Please buzzer off this thread. Its for matured minds wanting to talk about british politics and not clowns like yourself.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by thameamead(f): 1:13pm On Apr 08, 2010
fingers and toes crossed for a hung parliament, everyone should give the LIb Dems a chance. as for David Cameron, most of his backers are millonaires and billionaires, i wonder why cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy The british public should vote tactically for the Lib Dems. it's not suprising 90% of the media are supporting the tories. i hope the british people wake up from their slumber and realise the tory party is for and about the priveledged. THE SUN, DAILY MAIL , THE TELEGRAPH, SKY NEWS and the DAILY EXPRESS are backing the tories and trying to paint Vince Cable as a flibber because they are worried about a hung parliament. i'll love to see a hung parliament, pls vote
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 1:37pm On Apr 08, 2010
thameamead:

fingers and toes crossed for a hung parliament, everyone should give the LIb Dems a chance. as for David Cameron, most of his backers are millonaires and billionaires, i wonder why cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy The british public should vote tactically for the Lib Dems. it's not suprising 90% of the media are supporting the tories. i hope the british people wake up from their slumber and realise the tory party is for and about the priveledged. THE SUN, DAILY MAIL , THE TELEGRAPH, SKY NEWS and the DAILY EXPRESS are backing the tories and trying to paint Vince Cable as a flibber because they are worried about a hung parliament. i'll love to see a hung parliament, pls vote
Very astute analysis. The tories are the great deceivers. All they are good at is attacking labour without coming forwards clearly with their manifesto. Conservatives historically serve the rich and multinational companies. Cameron knows this but has so far cleverly shielded this from the voting public. Cameron and his wife are aristocrats. His wifes parents are multi-millionaires, and she grew up in a massive estate.

The pubilc are simply fed up with labour on issues such as immigration, security, iraq war and health. Brown is not as eloquent as Blair was, and has failed woefully in winning populist arguements.

This election is the tories to lose. They already have it in the bag. The issue therefore is by what margin would they win.
When Cameron comes into power, i know he is going to scrap most of the benefits labour is currently doling out. All the single mothers and homeless ppl are in for a hard time.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 1:42pm On Apr 08, 2010
Osass you really are thick in the head. Read my reply again. While you are doing so, look up on the meaning of Irony too.

What a slowpoke, trying to save face after you have shown you do not understand basic and simple explanation.  

@thamemead.

I like the policy of the minor/lightweight parties, but I am not sure they can make a difference at this point in time.

In my opinion, there isn't much between the two main parties. I do however dread conservatives making it, as my sector will see a massive cut. (healthcare/nhs) .

The papers have chosen their political parties and while this appear to be a long tradition in the UK, I am of Tue belief that they should be neutral and be more objective.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 1:43pm On Apr 08, 2010
Osass you really are thick in the head. Read my reply again. While you are doing so, look up on the meaning of Irony too.

What a slowpoke, trying to save face after you have shown you do not understand basic and simple explanation.  

@thamemead.

I like the policy of the minor/lightweight parties, but I am not sure they can make a difference at this point in time.

In my opinion, there isn't much between the two main parties. I do however dread conservatives making it, as my sector will see a massive cut. (healthcare/nhs) .

The papers have chosen their political parties and while this appear to be a long tradition in the UK, I am of Tue belief that they should be neutral and be more objective.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 1:56pm On Apr 08, 2010
ElRazur:

HAHAHAHAHAHA
Now you have got me laughing. You are definitely a certified comedian. Having realized your losing the arguement you resort to more name calling spilling filth and mumbo jumbo. And so may i add another HAHA. cheesy

This will teach you the difference between the jokes and politics section. If you dont have sth sensible to contribute buzz off. If you do say so as you have shown above. Had you done that in the first place there would have been no need for the sound beating i have handed out to you.

PS stop the double posting. It wont get you to a billion posts. tongue
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by thameamead(f): 2:07pm On Apr 08, 2010
@thamemead.

[quote][/quote]

Its time for the British public to come together and show the likes of THE SUN that we are not thick, its bizaare that the owner of THE SUN, THE TIMES, THE NEWS OF THE WORLD AND SKY NEWS  (RUPERT MURDOCH) who is an Australian born American citizen should be getting involved in the politics of the United Kingdom, d same guy who owns FOX NEWS, why should a man who is not registered to vote in the UK have some much power, there is also that billonaire Lord Ashcroft who has not paid a penny on his world wide income yet he passes law and legislation in the Uk, He happens to be Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party, he's donated over £4M to the tories, that does not look like DEMOCRACY to me, there is also a non-dom parliamentary candidate for Richmond park called Zac Goldsmith who also does not pay tax, The Telegraph which is also backing the Tory's is owned by the Barclays brothers who are also non-dorm, they live tax free in jersery, God Help us with the Tory's, as for SKY NEWS, they are no longer fair, its shocking,
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by JeSoul(f): 2:13pm On Apr 08, 2010
ElRazur:

@thamemead.

This is a long standing tradition in almost every country with a "functioning" democratic system. Corruption is everywhere, you will be hard-pressed to find a truly objective media outlet - paper or tv or internet.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by thameamead(f): 2:17pm On Apr 08, 2010
osaass:

Very astute analysis. The tories are the great deceivers. All they are good at is attacking labour without coming forwards clearly with their manifesto. Conservatives historically serve the rich and multinational companies. Cameron knows this but has so far cleverly shielded this from the voting public. Cameron and his wife are aristocrats. His wifes parents are multi-millionaires, and she grew up in a massive estate.

The pubilc are simply fed up with labour on issues such as immigration, security, iraq war and health. Brown is not as eloquent as Blair was, and has failed woefully in winning populist arguements.

This election is the tories to lose. They already have it in the bag. The issue therefore is by what margin would they win.
When Cameron comes into power, i know he is going to scrap most of the benefits labour is currently doling out. All the single mothers and homeless ppl are in for a hard time.

David Cameron is all spin, he was into PR before he got into politics which clealy shows. he's got no policies that' y he's talks without notes, its all empty words and empty promises, he thinks he's d knew obama, always calling press conferences but he's not. he's just a snake oil sales man not to talk of his chancellor, George Osbourne whom i would not trust with my sons' pocket money, the Tories are nothing to write home about. they 've received $14M in donations from the rich. i have put a bet on a hang parlliament. Everyone seems to have diserted labour, even Alan Sugar who got his peerage from Gordon Brown is nowhere to be seen, i hope policians of all the three parties learn from these,
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 2:20pm On Apr 08, 2010
Ideally, I was expecting a decent response from you. What a let down.

@topic
Coincidentally, I just got sent a text asking me to vote labour instead of conservative. The request for my vote was however based on that fact that am a "foreigner". The question of course is why do people who are perceived as foreigners are asked to vote labour?

As it stand,  some will argue that Labour have done some damage to UK and to some extent I share this arguement and one of the many reasons I am not sure I.will vote for them.
A vote based on "immigrants appeal"  may perhaps have adverse effects on the policy and shape of UK's policy in years to come. (yeah there are two sides though)  Remember, these folks are there for their own need and not because they truly like Johnny foreigner.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 2:24pm On Apr 08, 2010
@jesoul.

You do have a point. The UK media appears to get personal and just nasty. This can weigh and sway the influence and opinion of the public towards or against a party.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by chocomillo(f): 2:26pm On Apr 08, 2010
Let's all vote labour. Let's give labour another chance!  Remember the tyms of Thatcher
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 2:30pm On Apr 08, 2010
Why though? Please do not take this personal, but why should I be worried? I suppose those who may be are those here illegally. Outside this, I see no legitimate reason. Perhaps I am missing something here.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by JeSoul(f): 2:41pm On Apr 08, 2010
ElRazur:

@jesoul.

You do have a point. The UK media appears to get personal and just nasty. This can weigh and sway the influence and opinion of the public towards or against a party.
Exhibit A: MSNBC during the Bush years, Exhibit B: Fox during the Obama years. lol.

It seems like as far back as since I became conscious, the media has always been not just a barometer, but the driving force, for which direction the society will sway to. Which is why corrupt media = corrupt govt . . . or is it the other way round?
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 3:54pm On Apr 08, 2010
JeSoul:

Exhibit A: MSNBC during the Bush years, Exhibit B: Fox during the Obama years. lol.

It seems like as far back as since I became conscious, the media has always been not just a barometer, but the driving force, for which direction the society will sway to. Which is why corrupt media = corrupt govt . . . or is it the other way round?
Yes. The media certainly has a big hand in the direction of british politics. Remember the same sun newspaper swept tony blair into office in 1997. Blair used the media very well in remaining in power and winning 3 historical elections for labour.
Problem is there are too many right wing media out there. Apart from the daily mirror and the guardian there are hardly any voice for the left.

@elrazur
hope you ve learnt you lessons.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by JeSoul(f): 4:46pm On Apr 08, 2010
osaass:

Yes. The media certainly has a big hand in the direction of british politics. Remember the same sun newspaper swept tony blair into office in 1997. Blair used the media very well in remaining in power and winning 3 historical elections for labour.
Problem is there are too many right wing media out there. Apart from the daily mirror and the guardian there are hardly any voice for the left.
  Is that really the case in the UK?

It is the exact opposite in the US. The far left rules the media by far.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 11:07pm On Apr 08, 2010
JeSoul:

Is that really the case in the UK?

It is the exact opposite in the US. The far left rules the media by far.
It is a right-wing dominated media in the uk for sure and to a large extent mainland europe.
The have been fanning the flames of xenophobia and nationalism. No surprise therefore that a neo-nazi fascist group the BNP is a registered political party and has millions of registered members here. They have loads of councillors and recently gained 2 seats in the european parliament.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 9:55am On Apr 09, 2010
I am voting for Labour just for the sake of it, the alternatives are just too frightening.

David Cameron for one does not have a clue, its more like the early years of Tony Blair, change and all we got was disaster.

In a way Gordon Brown is a steadier hand.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 4:07pm On Apr 09, 2010
frosbel:

I am voting for Labour just for the sake of it, the alternatives are just too frightening.

David Cameron for one does not have a clue, its more like the early years of Tony Blair, change and all we got was disaster.

Its easy to call for change. To bring about that [positive] change is another issue.

Ask Barack Obama.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 5:16pm On Apr 09, 2010
osaass:

It is a right-wing dominated media in the uk for sure and to a large extent mainland europe.
The have been fanning the flames of xenophobia and nationalism. No surprise therefore that a neo-nazi fascist group the BNP is a registered political party and has millions of registered members here. They have loads of councillors and recently gained 2 seats in the european parliament.

Do you seriously know about UK politics and media?

Who are the right-wing media that DOMINATES the UK, I am sure you can enlighten us.

Is it the Guardian? A much more serious-type of broadsheet that is mostly read by so called upper class

Or will it be the Times? I read the times as I find it educative, informative and well written [Owned by Rupert Murdoch]

Or will it be the Sun - a less serious type of media - aka Tabloid.

Or the Daily Telegraph - another serious outlet similar to the Times

Or will it be the daily express and daily sports who have nothing but Big breasted women in nothing but panties and features a story of the latest gossip?

The only newspaper I can think of that falls in to the region of been closer to a right wing is the Daily Mail or something. Assuming they are[b] fully right wing[/b] [Which it isn't] all they do is report sensationalist headlines etc. And as anyone will tell you, it is not a true representative of the UK media.

How the heck is mainland Europe right wing too? Yes there are neo-facist and neo-nazi here and there but again they do not represent the true picture of things. Ironically, you are doing what most of these facist party do - give out misinformation. Jeez.

How is the UK media responsible for the BNP winning a Seat in European Parliament? Jesus freaking christ, I suppose the notion of Democracy is not something you truly understand? People are free to air what ever views they want and even though it may be offensive at times, it is still their right to do so. As it stand, I have no worries about BNP, winning a couple of Seat in the EP, as it is not enough to make any change. They are a tiny minority and do not have the power to change anything and as it stand, they will continue to remain so. In fact, they will fade away once the economic boom starts back again.

As history will tell us, whenever there is a general discontent with a government and coupled with rise in Unemployment and unfavourable changes in the economy, there is usually an increase in the activities of so called right wing political parties and it is not a surprise to see them win a seat here and there.

Overall, quit misinforming people, as the UK media is finely balanced. I.e Some are Centred but leaning on the right etc and a few are conservative. The majority of the UK media are not right-winged as you are claiming.

The more I read about your original response and stance, I suppose the picture is clear as to why you have such stance. Speaks volumes. smiley

frosbel:

To be honest, I am not sure there is much difference between them both. Who ever wins between them will see matter get worse for sometime and probably more. Green party or something may be getting my vote, but I am yet to decide.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by debosky(m): 5:23pm On Apr 09, 2010
osas and El sheathe your swords please. wink

@ topic

I'm not decided yet - I want to see the live debates by the leaders before making my decision.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Conservatives or Lib Dems - Labour has screwed things up for long enough.

My issue with the Conservatives is that their message keeps changing - from an 'age of austerity' to all this talk about refusing to allow a meager tax rise in NI. The Lib Dems are calling things straight but their incoherent immigration policy makes them doubtful as well.

Needless to say, Brown needs to go - my concern is whether the conservatives get a majority or a hung parliament with the Lib Dems being the bride who can rein in the conservative madness.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 6:00pm On Apr 09, 2010
Is it me, but those ad board with the massive head of Dave is so not trusting.  grin

Lib-dem is on my list too, their manifesto is more of common sense and probably a better option. I am just so not sure about the big two any more. sad

I think as it stand, Brown will probably lose the election and then his party call for his head. I am guessing the young guy - can't remember his name will most likely replace him so as to win voters back. Time will tell as we ain't too long from the main events now.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by JeSoul(f): 7:12pm On Apr 09, 2010
osaass:

ElRazur:

The majority of the UK media are not right-winged as you are claiming.

Lol, Osaass, I was about to begin doubting you when you proceeded to say most of mainland Europe media is also far-right. There I would've disagreed. We hear all the time about the ever shifting left-wards of much of Europe, it'd be hard to conceive the media wasn't fueling that fire. Anyways, Elrazur, thanks for your input too.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 1:45am On Apr 10, 2010
@El razor

Yet again you display you gutter ignorance in a public forum. You went to the shameful extent but uttering the despicable phrase of "jesus freaking christ"!!You think you are a white man and so has the licence to use our Lords name in vain. May your sins rise against you.

You blabbed on and on regarding the british press and in the end made no sense. Your intention i know is to launch an attack against whatever position i take, but NEWS FLASH you remain an amateur when it comes to that.

So you call the sun, times, and maybe news of the world left wing paper?? Are you ok? Who owns these papers? Do you know what news corps stand for? In terms of readership most of the national dailies [broadsheet and tabloids] are left leaning. The exception is the guardian. Others would have been the daily mirror and the independent but they are dying newspaper. The former was recently bailed out by the ex-KGB agent for £1.

And YES i say it again that most main land Europe is right leaning. That goes from the Berlusoni government in Italy[ he heads a centre right coalition and his party has been attacked on numerous occasions for fanning anti-immigrant sentiments]
Nicolas Sarkozy; was accused as the most divisive minister of interior in france before ascending the throne as the president.His party the UMP is a centre-right political party founded in 2002 by jacques chirac.
I can keep on and on but in my next post i will paste an extract from news week magazine on the rise of right wing government in europe. The article is from 2008 but quite contemporary.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

General Idi Amin Of Uganda / Museveni Declares June 25 For National Prayer Over COVID-19 / Japan Earthquake Latest: At Least 48 Killed In Japan - As Another Quake Reported

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.