Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,769 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:37 PM

These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy (25066 Views)

Top 6, 2020 Most Liked Posts On Instagram / Artificial Intelligence Technologies That Will Dominate In 2019 / Next Year Smartphones Might Spot In-screen Fingerprint Scanner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by NaijaTechGuy(m): 2:02am On Dec 29, 2017
2017 came with a lot of improvements in smartphones as we know it. In the smartphone sector, we all witnessed a shift towards full view displays and dual cameras, and other significant evolutionary upgrades for the better.

The performance and battery backup of affordable phones has never been better, thanks to powerful and power-efficient chipsets like Snapdragon 625 and 835 Chipsets. Nevertheless I'll say we still don’t have a perfect Android (or iOS) flagship, but at least we have, what certainly feels like, a perfect camera phone.

Let me quickly recap the major smartphone trends of 2017 before I tell you what I think we should expect in 2018.

1.Full-view displays took the world storm.
2.Dual cameras
3.4GB RAM and 64GB storage are now available on affordable phones.
4.Face Unlock gains some traction.
5.Stock Android is no longer a rarity (Nokia, Billion, Tenor, Moto, HTC, and even Xiaomi).
6.Snapdragon 625 consolidated Qualcomm’s position in affordable and mid-tier phones.
7.In general, battery backup on phones has improved a lot.

So, that brings me to the next question. What’s in store for us next year? Well, there are quite a few interesting upgrades you should expect.

In-display fingerprint sensors

[img]http://3.bp..com/-a7CxCU4va6w/WkS_XyDhNaI/AAAAAAAAAY0/G5Bu8jCBU-s6OpTIbm5avy8lJlUDIJbbQCLcBGAs/s640/under-display-fingerprint-sensor-image.jpg[/img]
Do you know why Samsung's Note 8's fingerprint scanner is an awkward position?, It's because it was actualy meant to be under the screen but Samsung couldn't meet up and had to place it beside the camera. However Vivo have already made a prototype with the Finger Print Scanner under the screen.
The biggest casualty of 18:9 displays have been the front fingerprint sensors. The Face Unlock isn’t as good a replacement which is why manufacturers have been working on under-display fingerprint sensor for a while.

In-display fingerprint sensors have now entered mass production. In fact, the first mainstream in-display fingerprint sensor phone from Vivo is set to arrive as early as CES 2018 (January 09-12).

Snapdragon 660, Snapdragon 630 For Mid-Range Smartphones

[img]http://4.bp..com/-EpZSS5Ur2gE/WkS_ex-30fI/AAAAAAAAAY4/RUTPd3RU_0YlP_kKWLpPoUhlhGotiyf2wCLcBGAs/s1600/oppo-r11s.jpeg[/img]
The success of Snapdragon 625 and Snapdragon 430 helped Qualcomm infiltrate MediaTek’s stronghold last year. To further strengthen its grip, the dominant chipset maker will be pushing a lot more muscle in its mid-tier (series-600) mobile platform.

The Snapdragon 660 will be the first mid-range chipset to include Kyro cores and the Snapdragon 630 will add iterative refinements to Snapdragon 625. Both these chipsets will be formed on the power-efficient 14nm FinFET process and we will be hearing a lot about them next year.

Of course, the Snapdragon 845 will dominate tier-1 flagships.

Foldable Display Phones

[img]http://4.bp..com/-VuNdcgIbkDs/WkS_iq3ZsAI/AAAAAAAAAY8/Z_lR-boCZ-IDmIIpB-3HptoyCrcb0XiOwCLcBGAs/s640/foldable-phone.jpg[/img]
Many smartphone manufacturers have been filing patents for foldable display phones for many years now. Samsung actually showcased a foldable smartphone prototype way back in 2011. Also, Microsoft put some weight behind the tech and also filed a patent for what looks like the future ‘Surface Phone’.

This is naturally being viewed as the next revolution in displays and a means for adding an even bigger size screen without bloating the size.

I don’t expect foldable-displays to go mainstream the same way as 18:9 full-view screens anytime soon but I'm quite optimistic that the world will have witnessed a fordable display gadget by the end of next year.

Better 2X Zoom and Software based portrait mode

Dual cameras became quite popular this year however most premium phones use the extra sensor for 2X zoom and in low light, the zoom is still digital and reliant on the main sensor.
[img]
http://2.bp..com/-ECyqSglKF8A/WkS_rXRhtiI/AAAAAAAAAZA/qQ4w67qBA5kAVy9j14MX6zi4pPBSRV4KwCLcBGAs/s640/oppo-camera-tech.jpg[/img]

Next year,I expect more OEMs relying on software for Portrait mode and flagships will strive towards perfecting their Zoom capabilities. Chinese OEM Oppo is already working on a periscope-like lens assembly for 5X optical zoom without any camera hump and other OEMs are expected to innovate on similar lines.

Augmented Reality,

What actually is Augmented Reality? In a layman's understanding I would define it as the ability to see evil spirits from your phone's camera.(Welcome to Africa lol). However, if you're familiar with Pokemon Go , it should give you a little idea of how AR works. Google and Apple put their approval stamps on AR with ARKit and ARCore SDKs and the same should yield something more meaningful than AR Stickers by the next year.
[img]
http://4.bp..com/-OtPyhL93PH0/WkS_wXhZGeI/AAAAAAAAAZE/n74832b1pgQw0P3SttaK1ufoIXeV6Ym8ACLcBGAs/s640/IMG_20171212_194403.jpg
[/img]
The iPhone X and Google Pixel 2 duo have the necessary hardware for the promised AR push and developers are already working on leveraging the technology for future updates

Artificial intelligence

Apart from AR, Artificial Intelligence should play a bigger role in enhancing smartphone experience next year. We already have phones marketing AI-based software (and assistants) across different budgets. Siri, Cortana, Alexa And Google Assistant should get a boost next year

Phones like Pixel 2 exemplify the power of software in overcoming hardware constraints. The phone integrates AI based refinements to improve numerous aspects including camera performance.
[img]http://3.bp..com/-bEGUrxaaCiA/WkS_07hiVzI/AAAAAAAAAZI/3QHO2IftuzwubOf7wtZQMMC9lo8a4wBxACLcBGAs/s640/Google-Pixel-2-Review-In-photos-6-1.jpg[/img]
Google isn’t alone, though. Huawei’s Kirin 970 chipset uses the separate neural processing engine for AI-based resource allocation to avoid inadvertent lag that creeps up in Android phones over a period of usage. Even Oppo is marketing an AI-based beautify mode in its new set of selfie experts.

Next year, the scope and reliance on AI and machine learning in smartphones is expected to broaden.

Apart from the changes mentioned , you might finally get the promised high-density batteries or get to experience one of the many battery revolutions under works. A lot is happening right now and it’s still not crystal clear what 2018 might or might not have in store, but things look really good for now.

Virtual Reality would also improve next year.

3 Likes

Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by Ignyte(m): 6:24am On Dec 29, 2017
In case
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by MrHistorian: 7:19am On Dec 29, 2017
grin
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by tstx(m): 7:19am On Dec 29, 2017
Let's watch and see
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by Edopesin: 7:19am On Dec 29, 2017
Nawa ooo Wetin 2019 Go Bring

1 Like

Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by neloyah: 7:20am On Dec 29, 2017
Can't wait to try out the foldable display shocked
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by directonpc(m): 7:21am On Dec 29, 2017
Nice
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:21am On Dec 29, 2017
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by mahxiimus(m): 7:21am On Dec 29, 2017
Let's see what happens
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by BruncleZuma: 7:22am On Dec 29, 2017
Finger print sensor in display will be shipping with the Vivo smartphones...waiting for Xiaomi to do the needful.
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by eezeribe(m): 7:22am On Dec 29, 2017
The only thing Nigeria and Nigerians can do is to review and consume.... we even review more than the manufacturers themselves.
We are always the first to ask for 6GB RAM,but we can't even manufacture a device with one kilobyte of RAM.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by israelmao(m): 7:22am On Dec 29, 2017
I need a new phone for sure!
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by datfreshdoc(m): 7:24am On Dec 29, 2017
The facial lock will be tricky tho' .... Thatzz for the girls sha cuz one minute y'll be looking like lady gaga and the next minute we got a princess diana #juxsaying tho :p:|

9 Likes

Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by nathanccr(m): 7:26am On Dec 29, 2017
2018 is just a couple of days away, let's see how it goes. Thank you Lord I was not consumed by Typhoid grin cool

4 Likes

Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by festwiz(m): 7:26am On Dec 29, 2017
I feel like the upcoming Snapdragon 460 and 640 chipsets will put a dip on Mediatek's midrange dominance.

4 Likes

Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by PotatoSalad(m): 7:27am On Dec 29, 2017
When can I be able to download Eba na? angry
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by abumeinben(m): 7:32am On Dec 29, 2017
Cool

5.Stock Android is no longer a rarity (Nokia, Billion, Tenor, Moto, HTC, and even Xiaomi
).
6.Snapdragon 625 consolidated Qualcomm’s position in affordable and mid-tier phones.

Especially these.

What do you mean by "even Xiaomi"?

1 Like

Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by Generalkorex(m): 7:35am On Dec 29, 2017
Cool features. Still waiting for the time we will start downloading food from our phones

1 Like

Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:37am On Dec 29, 2017
abumeinben:
Cool

Especially these.

What do you mean by "even Xiaomi"?

considering the fact they prefer a highly customized MIUI interface, however a few of their devices actually came with stock Android with very minimal traces of MIUI
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by abumeinben(m): 7:39am On Dec 29, 2017
Generalkorex:
Cool features. Still waiting for the time we will start downloading food from our phones

You mean this? grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6478591_img20171229073844_jpeg6514d32ca05b242a92d92ea06b70f550

2 Likes

Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:43am On Dec 29, 2017
Generalkorex:

lol . you can actually. but not from your phone. MacDonalds has a food ATM . it's not yet available in Nigeria though. so I'm imagining hungry Nigerians queuing up to withdraw food grin .-https://www.eater.com/2017/1/26/14400334/big-mac-atm-mcdonalds
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by abumeinben(m): 7:45am On Dec 29, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

considering the fact they prefer a highly customized MIUI interface, however a few of their devices actually came with stock Android with very minimal traces of MIUI

Lots of the new rollouts come with stock Android.
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by pointstores(m): 7:49am On Dec 29, 2017
Kkk
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by OgahBohz: 8:03am On Dec 29, 2017
which one should I expect to buy sef
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by fajob: 8:03am On Dec 29, 2017
wow
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by maxwell530(m): 8:07am On Dec 29, 2017
Watch out for OnePlus, that brand dey vex

Its latest flagship OnePlus5 is even faster than iPhone 7

1 Like

Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by austinereds(m): 8:08am On Dec 29, 2017
I love naijatechguy. Awesome write up. Facial recognition won't still ace up. Fingerprints in screen is a Wow. Snapdragon chipsets will finally conquer in 2018.
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by dreamworld: 8:31am On Dec 29, 2017
7.many phones will copy their designs
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by bughead: 8:40am On Dec 29, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
2017 came with a lot of improvements in smartphones as we know it. In the smartphone sector, we all witnessed a shift towards full view displays and dual cameras, and other significant evolutionary upgrades for the better.

The performance and battery backup of affordable phones has never been better, thanks to powerful and power-efficient chipsets like Snapdragon 625 and 835 Chipsets. Nevertheless I'll say we still don’t have a perfect Android (or iOS) flagship, but at least we have, what certainly feels like, a perfect camera phone.

Let me quickly recap the major smartphone trends of 2017 before I tell you what I think we should expect in 2018.

1.Full-view displays took the world storm.
2.Dual cameras
5.Stock Android is no longer a rarity (Nokia, Billion, Tenor, Moto, HTC, and even Xiaomi).
7.In general, battery backup on phones has improved a lot.

So, that brings me to the next question. What’s in store for us next year? Well, there are quite a few interesting upgrades you should expect.

In-display fingerprint sensors

[img]http://3.bp..com/-a7CxCU4va6w/WkS_XyDhNaI/AAAAAAAAAY0/G5Bu8jCBU-s6OpTIbm5avy8lJlUDIJbbQCLcBGAs/s640/under-display-fingerprint-sensor-image.jpg[/img]
Do you know why Samsung's Note 8's fingerprint scanner is an awkward position?, It's because it was actualy meant to be under the screen but Samsung couldn't meet up and had to place it beside the camera. However Vivo have already made a prototype with the Finger Print Scanner under the screen.
The biggest casualty of 18:9 displays have been the front fingerprint sensors. The Face Unlock isn’t as good a replacement which is why manufacturers have been working on under-display fingerprint sensor for a while.

In-display fingerprint sensors have now entered mass production. In fact, the first mainstream in-display fingerprint sensor phone from Vivo is set to arrive as early as CES 2018 (January 09-12).

Snapdragon 660, Snapdragon 630 For Mid-Range Smartphones

[img]http://4.bp..com/-EpZSS5Ur2gE/WkS_ex-30fI/AAAAAAAAAY4/RUTPd3RU_0YlP_kKWLpPoUhlhGotiyf2wCLcBGAs/s1600/oppo-r11s.jpeg[/img]
The success of Snapdragon 625 and Snapdragon 430 helped Qualcomm infiltrate MediaTek’s stronghold last year. To further strengthen its grip, the dominant chipset maker will be pushing a lot more muscle in its mid-tier (series-600) mobile platform.

The Snapdragon 660 will be the first mid-range chipset to include Kyro cores and the Snapdragon 630 will add iterative refinements to Snapdragon 625. Both these chipsets will be formed on the power-efficient 14nm FinFET process and we will be hearing a lot about them next year.

Of course, the Snapdragon 845 will dominate tier-1 flagships.

Foldable Display Phones

[img]http://4.bp..com/-VuNdcgIbkDs/WkS_iq3ZsAI/AAAAAAAAAY8/Z_lR-boCZ-IDmIIpB-3HptoyCrcb0XiOwCLcBGAs/s640/foldable-phone.jpg[/img]
Many smartphone manufacturers have been filing patents for foldable display phones for many years now. Samsung actually showcased a foldable smartphone prototype way back in 2011. Also, Microsoft put some weight behind the tech and also filed a patent for what looks like the future ‘Surface Phone’.

This is naturally being viewed as the next revolution in displays and a means for adding an even bigger size screen without bloating the size.

I don’t expect foldable-displays to go mainstream the same way as 18:9 full-view screens anytime soon but I'm quite optimistic that the world will have witnessed a fordable display gadget by the end of next year.

Better 2X Zoom and Software based portrait mode

Dual cameras became quite popular this year however most premium phones use the extra sensor for 2X zoom and in low light, the zoom is still digital and reliant on the main sensor.
[img]
http://2.bp..com/-ECyqSglKF8A/WkS_rXRhtiI/AAAAAAAAAZA/qQ4w67qBA5kAVy9j14MX6zi4pPBSRV4KwCLcBGAs/s640/oppo-camera-tech.jpg[/img]

Next year,I expect more OEMs relying on software for Portrait mode and flagships will strive towards perfecting their Zoom capabilities. Chinese OEM Oppo is already working on a periscope-like lens assembly for 5X optical zoom without any camera hump and other OEMs are expected to innovate on similar lines.

Augmented Reality,

What actually is Augmented Reality? In a layman's understanding I would define it as the ability to see evil spirits from your phone's camera.(Welcome to Africa lol). However, if you're familiar with Pokemon Go , it should give you a little idea of how AR works. Google and Apple put their approval stamps on AR with ARKit and ARCore SDKs and the same should yield something more meaningful than AR Stickers by the next year.
[img]
http://4.bp..com/-OtPyhL93PH0/WkS_wXhZGeI/AAAAAAAAAZE/n74832b1pgQw0P3SttaK1ufoIXeV6Ym8ACLcBGAs/s640/IMG_20171212_194403.jpg
[/img]
The iPhone X and Google Pixel 2 duo have the necessary hardware for the promised AR push and developers are already working on leveraging the technology for future updates

Artificial intelligence

Apart from AR, Artificial Intelligence should play a bigger role in enhancing smartphone experience next year. We already have phones marketing AI-based software (and assistants) across different budgets. Siri, Cortana, Alexa And Google Assistant should get a boost next year

Phones like Pixel 2 exemplify the power of software in overcoming hardware constraints. The phone integrates AI based refinements to improve numerous aspects including camera performance.
[img]http://3.bp..com/-bEGUrxaaCiA/WkS_07hiVzI/AAAAAAAAAZI/3QHO2IftuzwubOf7wtZQMMC9lo8a4wBxACLcBGAs/s640/Google-Pixel-2-Review-In-photos-6-1.jpg[/img]
Google isn’t alone, though. Huawei’s Kirin 970 chipset uses the separate neural processing engine for AI-based resource allocation to avoid inadvertent lag that creeps up in Android phones over a period of usage. Even Oppo is marketing an AI-based beautify mode in its new set of selfie experts.

Next year, the scope and reliance on AI and machine learning in smartphones is expected to broaden.

Apart from the changes mentioned , you might finally get the promised high-density batteries or get to experience one of the many battery revolutions under works. A lot is happening right now and it’s still not crystal clear what 2018 might or might not have in store, but things look really good for now.

Virtual Reality would also improve next year.
jargons angry

No picture to prove your points!
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by introvertme: 8:55am On Dec 29, 2017
bughead:
jargons angry
No picture to prove your points!
You can easily click the link to see the pictures
Re: These Are The Top 6 Smartphone Trends That Will Dominate Next Year -naijatechguy by kushy340: 8:56am On Dec 29, 2017
Infinix note 4 very neat 2weeks old with 3gig ram and 32gb rom contact 08144228659.
location Ibadan
amount 49000

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tecno Camon X Vs Tecno Camon CX : Comparison / Expect The Infinix Zero 4 Edge Very Soon, See Expected Specs! / New MTN Recharge Code That Works Now *3551*pin-number# And Send

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.