Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,401 members, 7,808,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:56 AM

The Dilemma Of An Undergraduate From A Poor Background. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Dilemma Of An Undergraduate From A Poor Background. (915 Views)

What Skills Can An Undergraduate In Mechatronics Engineering Aquire To Boost . / Recommend How To Be Professional As An Undergraduate. / My Dilemma As Contract Staff In A Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dilemma Of An Undergraduate From A Poor Background. by Samzzy94(m): 10:48am On Dec 29, 2017
Sam was happy when he heard that he got admission to study Microbiology in a Federal University in the Southwest region of Nigeria. But beneath the excitement are his fears of the added financial responsibility that his parent would have to face in order to see him through school. He is the first child among the 7 children his parent has thereby he has to be a good example to his siblings by making sure he excels in his academic pursuits in order to come back and cater for them. With that in mind he took up the admission offer.
Now 4years down the line, after a lot of struggles academically, emotionally, physically and above all financially, he is now a final year student in 400level. Now he realises that the possibility of his B.sc degree in Microbiology to get the good life and good job after school is minute. He is now made to understand that before he can be a little bit guaranteed of that good job with a good pay, he has to further his education to at least Masters level or probably divert and get a professional skill. Now his problem is, he struggled financially to even get to his final year and he knows he can't expect financial backing from his parent to pursue any other programme after school. He also has siblings to take care of. He doesn't know how he is going to go about it, because the fear of life after school is really drowning him.

Well this is the best way I can capture my thoughts and fears, I need advice from fellow nairalanders, especially from those who have been in this situation before and how they overcame the challenge....Pls help Sam

Mods pls help me put it in front page
Re: The Dilemma Of An Undergraduate From A Poor Background. by LionDeLeo: 10:57am On Dec 29, 2017
Manage and graduate first, have no fear, believe in destiny.

Microbiology is a very promising course provided you studied very well and understand what you read.

I have a friend who studied that course, he now works with a well paying multinational and he didn't pull any string from anywhere as he didn't even have any.

Some of these dry heads calling themselves graduates roaming the streets shouting Buhari, unemployment everywhere are actually groundnuts, most of them don't even know what they studied.

Some of them cannot even write ordinary application for employment. I have come across good number of them.
Re: The Dilemma Of An Undergraduate From A Poor Background. by xtian234(m): 7:41pm On Dec 29, 2017
sure there is more to life....graduate well and by Gods grace u will get a Job if u have groomed yourself well to meet employers demand
Re: The Dilemma Of An Undergraduate From A Poor Background. by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 29, 2017
my dear I see fears in your write up
bear it mind
no loss ,no gain
no story ,no glory
in your tours throughout life there must be challenges but u have to keep moving ,praying and dreaming without looking back .
Re: The Dilemma Of An Undergraduate From A Poor Background. by bishop0608: 7:26am On Dec 31, 2017
It is advisable to discontinue thinking about your poor background.No man was born with three-piece suit on. We become who we are by our choices. No profession is an end in itself but a means to an end.Study hard so as to graduate with a very good result and you will see the glory of God. Thank God for the opportunity to have gained admission and for honour of graduating with a first degree.The vision of our destiny is entirely in God's hand and that vision is opened chapter by chapter.It is only with good relationship
that one will be able to follow through with the will of God concerning our lives.
I would like to invite you to the Cross over night at the Living Faith Church Canaan Land Ota on Sunday for Divine directions concerning your life.The means of going to & fro the Cross over night will be taken care of.Remain ever blessed.
Re: The Dilemma Of An Undergraduate From A Poor Background. by Accscholar: 12:20pm On Dec 31, 2017
This person should graduate first. These days the course that you studied does not really matter. As long as he graduates with a minimum of 2:1, and in a much better position, a First Class, he would get a job.

But please, tell him to delete his passion for Microbiology if he wants to stay in Nigeria - he'll just be in one dead unfunded, unequipped lab somewhere. Otherwise, he should go to more developed countries where his passion for microbiology would be realized.

If he wants to stay in Nigeria, though, jobs yapayaski. Deloitte, KPMG, Mckinsey, PwC, Banks, etc. None of them would look at your course of study, as long as your grades are tight.

Best wishes

(1) (Reply)

Vacancy: Studio Photographer / . / 5 In Demand Digital Skills You Should Acquire In 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.