Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:58 AM

5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University (47912 Views)

Is Adeleke University, Ede The Most Beautiful Private University In Nigeria? / Lecturer Stands On A Table To Invigilate During Exam In A Private University / Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by ogechukwubliss(f): 7:18am On Dec 31, 2017
Timmmy:
If you look beyond the ASUU strikes in public universities, you'll see several benefits these schools have over their private counterparts.

In Nigeria, there is a general belief that private universities are far better than public varsities.
This belief is strengthened by the epileptic ASUU strikes and internal crises in public higher institutions across the country.

Usually, when a crisis does not get to the point of pausing the academic progression of the students and shutting the school gates, the crisis doesn't get resolved. These are parts of the reasons why some parents choose to send their wards to private universities. However, if you look beyond the ASUU strike in public universities, you will see several benefits these schools have over their private counterparts.

These benefits range from cheaper school fees to freedom to become an adult and exposure to the real world before becoming a graduate. The bulk of private university graduates don't have such exposure and experience.

So here are five reasons you should consider public university if you are seeking admission.

1. Cost of Education
The first thing people get to know about private universities is not the facilities they have but their school fees. Some private schools tuition fee is enough to build a house elsewhere. On the other hand, cost of education is very cheap.
Apart from this, cost of living in public university is also cheap as students are allowed to either patronise campus shops or those on the streets where prices are competitive. This is not allowed as some private universities will even punish students for having foodstuff in their hostel.

2. Freedom and Independence
Undergraduates in public universities enjoy some degrees of freedom as they are not kept under stringent rules on how to live on campus.
Private Universities have so many amusing rules that keep their students under the prying eyes of the management. No freedom, no independence, just students shuttling between lecture rooms and hostels. Private universities force their laws down the throat of their students as they have rules guiding everything. Private school is that entity that treats adults like kids by giving them rules on what to eat, how to dress and when to worship.

3. Campus Fun
Some Private universities are dry and are utterly devoid of campus fun. In public universities, you have parties to attend, meet real people, rich and poor; and even join socio-cultural associations like the Kegites groups.
Dating is also fun as students couple enjoy their relationship without being punished for expressing love. You can not do this in some private universities. In fact, some private universities frown at students of opposite sex hugging each other.

4. Public University encourages hard work
Some lecturers' nonchalant attitudes to work in public universities propel students to work hard to succeed.

For instance, a lecturer that comes to class only to give out handouts expects the students to impress him in their exams. Those lecturers who do not come to class regularly because of other commitments also expect good performance from the students. These students are denied a lot of things yet, they come out with good grades. On the other hands, private university students have almost everything to facilitate their education, yet, some of them are no match for public school graduates who are screwed to success.

5. Public university produces mature graduates
Everything public university undergraduates go through in the hands of their lecturers and the university system toughens and prepare them for the life after graduation. They understand life more on campus through the many challenges they go through. The same can not be said about private university undergraduates, most of whom only see life through one prism of their parents' wealth and lecturers' soft approaches to everything. They hardly make decisions for themselves. It is either their parents make it for them or the school management does. 

Source: http://www.pulse.ng/communities/student/5-reasons-you-shouldnt-attend-a-private-university-id7786239.html?link_time=1514630396#utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by 360command: 7:18am On Dec 31, 2017
Dirty smelly filthy public university with a decayed uni structure, myopic and sadist lecturer who just sit, do no research but collect bribes and drink bear or go to hotels to fvckkk runs girls.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by cnwamo(m): 7:19am On Dec 31, 2017
All i see are people bashing themselves grin grin ;Dthemselves
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by ogechukwubliss(f): 7:21am On Dec 31, 2017
Too much watching of Z-world. India Has Bewitched You With Their Romance Stories. ;DToo much watching of Z-world. India Has Bewitched You With Their Romance Stories.
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by frankmoney(m): 7:26am On Dec 31, 2017
I attend a public school but I will choose a private school over it anyday , in public schools most of them lack equipment , I remember going to a mechanical engineering workshop in my school and 90% of the equipments weren't working , you talk about hard work , most of the lecturers are not interested in passing a student which I have no idea why , but it's easier in a private school because they want to impart knowledge and not become uneccesary sadist , most public schools are living in past glory trust me . And you are talking about cost , the truth is education is expensive, travel abroad and see how much the quality schools pay , the reason why public schools are the way they are is because they are heavily underfunded, and student pay less

7 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by jamariwolf2(f): 7:27am On Dec 31, 2017
DrayZee:

Wow. You're so damn narrow minded.
Qualitative education is the reason why I chose my university. You think it's all about money. No one spends money unnecessarily.
That's why people like you who throw shades at private universities are still the ones asking them to bring down their fees.

A degree with some worth, eh! It's no longer about the mind. It's about the degree. That's why you'll go to a school for 5years, gain no practical experience, read hand-outs upon hand-outs, sort your way all through the university, just to get a degree. That's where the worth of your degree lies.
And yet, you think a graduate from a private university with a good result will be intimidated by any of you? So narrow minded.
If you think life will care about your degree, then you have another thing coming.
just leave them to their ignorance. You've made good points.

6 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 7:27am On Dec 31, 2017
Sterope:
Basically, you can't afford it. You don't need to hate.

Private Universities in Nigeria are good, their students can stand shoulder to shoulder with public school students. Most of you hating cannot prove why they should not be rated, you hate them because you acnt afford them.

@OP, the only con in your write up is campus fun. Others are hogwash. undecided

You that can afford it attend,nobody says you shouldn't attend it.And I can afford some of them(the one's that pays in thousands)I can't imagine paying millions to study in Nigeria, but it would be better I go to a public university in Nigeria or I go to a public or private university abroad simple it is clearly my opinion and not your's in a real sense some of their certificates cannot be compared with public universities.
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by Jethrolite(m): 7:28am On Dec 31, 2017
TheUbermensch:

If life won't care about your degree why go to school then?

Smh..

It's better one goes to a federal poly sef, than attend any of those advanced secondary schools called private universities.
Go and sit down and stop disgracing yourself this morning.

When una chop mixed beans and spaghetti without finish, you feel on top of the world and start defending rubbish on nairaland. Do you even know what qualitative education feels like or you think you can experience it with your imagination?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by AdaFonju: 7:33am On Dec 31, 2017
DrayZee:

I had admission into FUTO. I rejected it and did an A Level programme in Uniport, then gained 200 level admission into Mechanical engineering. I still rejected it and went private.
And most private universities release their admission lists before public universities. By the time the public universities are admitting students, their counterparts in private universities would have even matriculated or started exams. So what are you saying?
Most of you don't even know what you're saying. You believe everything people tell you.
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by AZeD1(m): 7:36am On Dec 31, 2017
Is the competition for "stupid thread of the year" still open?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by jamariwolf2(f): 7:36am On Dec 31, 2017
AdaFonju:
The truth is most nigerians only consider the private institutions when their wards don't get admission into the public ones, I believe that alone speaks volumes.
in 2010, I applied for Law at UNN University of Nigeria Nsukka. My dad was asked to pay #1.5 million naira before I would be considered for admission.
Pls goan siddon somewhere joooor..
Speaks volume indeed.

6 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by SammieLee1(m): 7:38am On Dec 31, 2017
TheUbermensch:
Private schools are just money making for the owners. They are just all about the profit without paying much attention to the quality of education they give.

But trust their students to defend them. lol

Quality of education u say... well,having the best environment to study, almost zero harassment and frustration of students all na poor quality abi?. It's like saying the teacher that flogged you d most taught u d best.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by omoiyalayi(m): 7:39am On Dec 31, 2017
All the private school students will not allow us rest now as if they re the one paying the school fees grin

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by repent4christ: 7:41am On Dec 31, 2017
Public universities ko private university ni degree na degree depending on the individual. One can graduate from Oxford and still be a (nicompu).

4 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by KelvinC1(m): 7:49am On Dec 31, 2017
MrHistorian:

What's the nonsense you just typed?

What's the value attached to being a student of a Public Uni?. . .The dilapidated buildings? The unnecessary stress the lecturers subject students to?

What exactly is your point?

Your emphasis on financial gains is very shallow,You should build a private enterprise too and make sure you run at a loss. . .ehn?. Private Universities are funded(mostly) by private individuals or organizations which makes their sole aim PROFIT MAXIMIZATION which is justifiable considering the amount they spend on buildings maintenance, electricity and renumeration of personnels.

Private Universities offer very qualitative and sound education and their graduates are very proud and confident of their educational institution. . .So,Your assertion on Inferiority is purely baseless.

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by amahthelma(f): 7:50am On Dec 31, 2017
DrayZee:

Don't just sit down in your house and start typing anything you feel like. If you don't have money to go for private, nobody is forcing you. Go to your public in peace. Don't disturb the rest of us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by Donkalio: 7:51am On Dec 31, 2017
MrHistorian:

What's the nonsense you just typed?

What's the value attached to being a student of a Public Uni?. . .The dilapidated buildings? The unnecessary stress the lecturers subject students to?

What exactly is your point?

Your emphasis on financial gains is very shallow,You should build a private enterprise too and make sure you run at a loss. . .ehn?.

Majority of the people goin to private uni are not dat rich, just like outside states uni, private uni don,t need jamb to enter, do it is compulsory that u must do late jamb applicatn as to have jamb reg no for ur nysc. All private uni candidates has been denied admissn in public uni, either as a result of low performance in jamb or post-utme. Instead of dem stayin @ home, their parents prefer sippin gari & sendin their child to private school.
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by Freethought(m): 7:51am On Dec 31, 2017
DrayZee:

Don't just sit down in your house and start typing anything you feel like. If you don't have money to go for private, nobody is forcing you. Go to your public in peace. Don't disturb the rest of us.

This, yu just typed is a strong confirmation to the OP
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by KelvinC1(m): 7:51am On Dec 31, 2017
[quote author=KelvinC1 post=63760209][/quote]
I know two graduates of covenant university, their mum is my lecturer currently in UniJOS here. They can't even send them, they are always shy and can't price anything.. Their mum always send me to get everything for them so from there as a sharp guy I go get my own share too.. No dull moments with me bro.. Na final year things 400L..

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by KelvinC1(m): 7:54am On Dec 31, 2017
I know two graduates of covenant university, their mum is my lecturer currently in UniJOS here. They can't even send them, they are always shy and can't price anything.. Their mum always send me to get everything for them so from there as a sharp guy I go get my own share too.. No dull moments with me bro.. Na final year things 400L..
Bros fed uni better pass..
Those two guys can't even take care of the house when the mum travel.. Na me them dey always call.. I dey even command them sef..
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by josite: 7:54am On Dec 31, 2017
Univervasitas exists for the training of the faculties,of the mind.I have been to Babcock,Babcock cannot be a balanced university with students treated like nursery school pupils.how can you train minds in such a setting.you banned freedom to choice foods and expect the brain to function optimally and you impose a ban on expressions and you want to produce first class brains.you make men going to 80/85 deans and hod and expect to have a vibrant faculty because at that age men are not likely to have erections and thereby the virginity of girls pupils ,who are only virgins ,in the imagination ,of their parents ,are preserved. Babcock may be ideal for girls.it is a no no for guys.
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by Jerryordam: 7:58am On Dec 31, 2017
Well, as much as you free to disagree with me, a good number of private universities in Nigeria could only best be described as glorified secondary schools. I've had a lot of encounters with many of their graduates and believe me, there's nothing to write home about, but you see them awarding first class degrees to almost every of their graduates.

I was also opportuned to serve with a lot of them during my service year, both the ones we stayed at the same lodge and those in my place of primary assignment. They well a complete embarrassment, had nothing to offer...

And remember, they were from different institutions across the country (don't want to mention names).

4 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by AdaFonju: 7:59am On Dec 31, 2017
jamariwolf2:
in 2010, I applied for Law at UNN University of Nigeria Nsukka. My dad was asked to pay #1.5 million naira before I would be considered for admission.
Pls goan siddon somewhere joooor..
Speaks volume indeed.
but why did you consider unn first ?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by LOVEGINO(m): 8:05am On Dec 31, 2017
Timmmy:
If you look beyond the ASUU strikes in public universities, you'll see several benefits these schools have over their private counterparts.

In Nigeria, there is a general belief that private universities are far better than public varsities.
This belief is strengthened by the epileptic ASUU strikes and internal crises in public higher institutions across the country.

Usually, when a crisis does not get to the point of pausing the academic progression of the students and shutting the school gates, the crisis doesn't get resolved. These are parts of the reasons why some parents choose to send their wards to private universities. However, if you look beyond the ASUU strike in public universities, you will see several benefits these schools have over their private counterparts.

These benefits range from cheaper school fees to freedom to become an adult and exposure to the real world before becoming a graduate. The bulk of private university graduates don't have such exposure and experience.

So here are five reasons you should consider public university if you are seeking admission.

1. Cost of Education
The first thing people get to know about private universities is not the facilities they have but their school fees. Some private schools tuition fee is enough to build a house elsewhere. On the other hand, cost of education is very cheap.
Apart from this, cost of living in public university is also cheap as students are allowed to either patronise campus shops or those on the streets where prices are competitive. This is not allowed as some private universities will even punish students for having foodstuff in their hostel.

2. Freedom and Independence
Undergraduates in public universities enjoy some degrees of freedom as they are not kept under stringent rules on how to live on campus.
Private Universities have so many amusing rules that keep their students under the prying eyes of the management. No freedom, no independence, just students shuttling between lecture rooms and hostels. Private universities force their laws down the throat of their students as they have rules guiding everything. Private school is that entity that treats adults like kids by giving them rules on what to eat, how to dress and when to worship.

3. Campus Fun
Some Private universities are dry and are utterly devoid of campus fun. In public universities, you have parties to attend, meet real people, rich and poor; and even join socio-cultural associations like the Kegites groups.
Dating is also fun as students couple enjoy their relationship without being punished for expressing love. You can not do this in some private universities. In fact, some private universities frown at students of opposite sex hugging each other.

4. Public University encourages hard work
Some lecturers' nonchalant attitudes to work in public universities propel students to work hard to succeed.

For instance, a lecturer that comes to class only to give out handouts expects the students to impress him in their exams. Those lecturers who do not come to class regularly because of other commitments also expect good performance from the students. These students are denied a lot of things yet, they come out with good grades. On the other hands, private university students have almost everything to facilitate their education, yet, some of them are no match for public school graduates who are screwed to success.

5. Public university produces mature graduates
Everything public university undergraduates go through in the hands of their lecturers and the university system toughens and prepare them for the life after graduation. They understand life more on campus through the many challenges they go through. The same can not be said about private university undergraduates, most of whom only see life through one prism of their parents' wealth and lecturers' soft approaches to everything. They hardly make decisions for themselves. It is either their parents make it for them or the school management does. 

Source: http://www.pulse.ng/communities/student/5-reasons-you-shouldnt-attend-a-private-university-id7786239.html?link_time=1514630396#utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook
poverty no good oo.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by Afritop(m): 8:06am On Dec 31, 2017
AFTER ENDURING MORE THAN 12 MONTHS OF STRIKE DURING MY UNIVERSITY DAYS YOU WANT ME TO THINK ABOUT THIS POOISH POST.
THIS TOPIC IS NOT NECESSARY IF WE HAVE AN EXCELLENT EDUCATION SYSTEM
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by lilmax(m): 8:11am On Dec 31, 2017
didn't attend private but I bow when I see them

fact is quality education ain't cheap

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by Nobody: 8:20am On Dec 31, 2017
The private uni girls have met so far are damn so boring, they also love being indoor
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by Nobody: 8:21am On Dec 31, 2017
Alright nice points. Get into a public school at age 17 or 18 for a four year course and spend six to seven years in school thanks to ASUU and other irregularities, spend another two or three years waiting for nysc due to some mobilization issues. Get ready for the job market at age 27 and start bitching about jobs whose required minimum age is 26 grin grin Ndi public school, wehdone oh cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by Nobody: 8:27am On Dec 31, 2017
smiley
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by Nobody: 8:27am On Dec 31, 2017
Ladyhippolyta88:
Well written, I would rather go abroad than to study in a private university in Nigeria.At least the universities that are manageable in this country are public universities.
i prefer to study in other African countries sef than to study in 9ja private institutions
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University by SoldierBoy1(m): 8:41am On Dec 31, 2017
Some points are not valid... I think maturity depends on your person and not as a result of the school you attend, and about campus fun, there are fun filled events in private schools also and the original balling for us na for house no be school sef, also about being hardworking it still depends on the person cause some guys don't go through zero effort to succeed in school in both public and private universities.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UNILAG Student Shot In The Head On Campus / Meet The Youngest Medical Student In Ambrose Alli University Also A Nairalader. / Improving Low Gpa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.