Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,871 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari (21565 Views)

Senator Bima Enagi Introduces Bill To Ban Generators; 10-year Jail For Seller / Ghana Plan To Ban Rice Importation / Border Closure: Nigeria Rejects Vietnam’s Rice Importation Plea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by tete7000(m): 5:11pm On Jan 01, 2018
They should ban medical tourism too and stop providing forex reduction for their children that school abroad. That way, I will know they are serious.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by preshinno: 5:19pm On Jan 01, 2018
pls oga president if na joke stop it oh. we haven't even produced enough and u want to ban the imported ones. there is hunger in the land oh Mr President.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by Adebowale89(m): 5:23pm On Jan 01, 2018
he should also caution the Fulani herdsmen in order to allow the subsistence famers to plant crops without the fears of attack in their own land

farmers insecurities might discourage agriculture the more in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by steveneche(m): 5:38pm On Jan 01, 2018
I can't even remember when Last I ate foreign rice.. Stone free local rice everywhere. We'll soon get there. God bless PMB
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jan 01, 2018
smiley
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by Emmabuh: 5:43pm On Jan 01, 2018
TheHistorian:

Hatred and Bigotry has robbed this one off her rationality.

Do you know how massive Rice production is locally now?

Better days ahead. . . grin grin grin

At least I bought a bag of Local Rice for N21000 this season as against N33000 last season.
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by lastempero: 5:53pm On Jan 01, 2018
Iam gonna get additional 3bags of rice for mum,these MorphOS want to start another macabre dance this 2018.when u can't feed 30% of ur people with ur internet rice.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by Horus(m): 6:00pm On Jan 01, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbgEGUhtGaY

Fake Rice Imported To Nigeria From China
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by israelmao(m): 6:02pm On Jan 01, 2018
Weight your options in statistically whether we could produce enough to feed ourselves before you do that.
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by AiiVee(m): 6:08pm On Jan 01, 2018
First good news of the year.. If this holds, then we can tick this off the list of our foreign dependency
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by Minemrys: 6:08pm On Jan 01, 2018
EternalTruths:

I prophesy in your life, that you will be blessed if you support the disintegration of this unworkable entity called Nigeria and you will eat excess rice in Odua republic.
dude, i d0n't care abt ur prayerz or any bl0ody odua republic. Got that? I just want s0me peace and quiet and space fr0m riff raffs.
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by tomdon(m): 6:17pm On Jan 01, 2018
Please where is the local rice
What does it look like
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by Mcslize: 6:22pm On Jan 01, 2018
NgeneUkwenu:

Wake up, local production are everywhere... Rice importation fell by 90% in the outgoing year...

For first time in years, we are eating local rice in our hood...

Hope there will be no stones in those rice o
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by diluewunmi: 7:01pm On Jan 01, 2018
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by docadams: 7:34pm On Jan 01, 2018
Blue3k2:

No it didn't. Rice importation is actually set to rise this year. Production grew but it certainly no where close to consumption. Thai Rice imports dropped last year.

Whether importation is set to rise or not doesn't negate the government proposed plan to ban importation of rice - Life is all about making hard choices. I think it is a good policy which we should key into. At the end of the year, we take stock of progress made and make corrections as appropriate.

Back in the early eighties we were used to government coming up with short, medium, and long time development plans at year's end. Those whose means of livelihood depends on rice should start adapting now. The ricemania need to stop

I think the study by DFID posted below should shed more light on the issue

States producing 5.7 million metric tonnes of rice – DFID

http://punchng.com/states-producing-5-7-million-metric-tonnes-of-rice-dfid/

The United Kingdom’s Department for International Development has said that 18 states in Nigeria now produce about 5.7 million metric tonnes of milled rice, bringing the country’s production closer to the seven million metric tonnes projected milled rice requirement for 2016.

According to a report on Growth and Employment in States, which was funded by the DFID, the 18 states were selected based on their contributions to national rice production as per the 2015 Agricultural Production Survey.

The April 2017 report, which was titled, ‘Mapping of rice production clusters in Nigeria’, and was made available to our correspondent in Abuja on Sunday by the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, noted that in the 18 states, rice farming was widely spread across 165 clusters and 2,812 sub-clusters.

It said, “The 2016 total paddy production estimate is put at 17.5 million tonnes with a marketing surplus after post-harvest losses and domestic use of 11.4 million tonnes, equivalent to 5.7 million tonnes milled rice.

“This is just below the total national demand for rice, which was projected to reach seven million tonnes in 2016, and it implies that the country is progressing towards its goal of rice self-sufficiency.”

The report noted that Kebbi State led the pack with the production at 3.56 million metric tonnes for the wet and dry seasons combined, followed by Kano at 2.82 million metric tonnes.

Kebbi produced 2.05 million metric tonnes in the wet season and 1.51 million metric tonnes in the dry season, while Kano produced 1.86 million metric tonnes and 0.96 million metric tonnes during the wet and dry seasons, respectively in the same period.

It, however, stated that only 10 of the 18 states were involved in the dry season production of rice, contributing 26.57 per cent of the total production.

The DFID report stated that a mapping exercise of rice production clusters through researchers’ and enumerators’ visits to rice production locations was carried out in the 18 states, which include Bauchi, Benue, Ebonyi, Ekiti, the Federal Capital Territory, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina and Kebbi.

Others are Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa, Niger, Ogun, Sokoto, Taraba and Zamfara states.

Commenting on the development, an Abuja-based rice farmer and Head, Modern Agriculture Farms, Mr. Suleiman Kutunku, said Nigeria would have met the seven million metric tonnes target if not for the massive export of locally produced rice.

He said, “The problem we have why you may say we are not self-sufficient is because we allow what we produce to go out of the country. About 50 per cent of our produce is exported out of Nigeria by rice farmers, and this is the major cause for rice scarcity in some areas today.

“Had it been we stopped the export of grains, the rice production of last year alone was okay for us to say that we have attained sufficiency. But many rice farmers needed extra cash and so they preferred selling to other countries in order to make more income, hence depleting the availability of the commodity in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by Emmyg50002: 7:37pm On Jan 01, 2018
The most important thing that should be banned in this country is the importation of crude oil not rice o,you import what you don't have,and export what u have,we have crude oil so we shouldn't be importing that.who else is in the same page with me
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by LionDeLeo: 7:42pm On Jan 01, 2018
Emmyg50002:
The most important thing that should be banned in this country is the importation of crude oil not rice o,you import what you don't have,and export what u have,we have crude oil so we shouldn't be importing that.who else is in the same page with me
I think you are alone on this page.

In the first place, Nigeria doesn't import crude oil.
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by Emmyg50002: 7:53pm On Jan 01, 2018
Eyya,i tot we import crude oil o,but why the last scarcity,even nnpc didn't have fuel to dispence,was it that the refinaries where bad,and what are those vessels doing in wharf?
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by docadams: 8:23pm On Jan 01, 2018
Emmyg50002:
Eyya,i tot we import crude oil o,but why the last scarcity,even nnpc didn't have fuel to dispence,was it that the refinaries where bad,and what are those vessels doing in wharf?

My friend try to accept correction when you make a wrong opinion. We import petroleum products and export crude oil.

If we can be exporting beans amidst self sufficiency, why can't we be self sufficient in rice and progress to exporting it. The first ingredient to becoming great is to have the believe that we can be great. Let us jettison this attitude that we cannot make it.
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by brojoshua: 8:28pm On Jan 01, 2018
Good after we have planted, have sufficient quantity and excess. So put effort, money machinery and so on into farming that we may have plenty , sufficient and excess for export. It's an excellent idea
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by Ratello: 8:35pm On Jan 01, 2018
Blue3k2:

No it didn't. Rice importation is actually set to rise this year. Production grew but it certainly no where close to consumption. Thai Rice imports dropped last year.

Stop wasting your time educating that lost dude he won't see any truth and sense in what you are saying no matter how convincing it might sound. Imagine they even claimed Nigeria is producing 15 million metric tonnes already meaning 300 million 50 kg bags and I ask, where are these mysterious 50kg bags disappearing into? grin cheesy

Read the news here on their imaginary 15 million metric tonnes of rice production;

https://www.nairaland.com/4253864/rice-production-nigeria-hits-15
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by nkemjacob2(m): 8:53pm On Jan 01, 2018
Nigerians shouldn't make another blind mistake

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by Enice(m): 8:54pm On Jan 01, 2018
hungryboy:
you wan ban rice importation when our local farmers never get enough rice to meet demand, which will only lead to one thing, making rice more expensive and unaffordable for people like me. When dis man go get sense?
Na you no get sense, hatred and tribal bigotry don blind una eyes and heart. When you import you are paying the salary of those who produced the goods. When you produce locally, you create employment for locals. How can we, a country with fertile land be importing a product that we can easily produce just because we want a quick fix? Later you go say you no get job, say Nigerians are hungry. How work wan take come when people like you wen no get sense dey talk rubbish? No pain, no gain.
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by gabe: 9:22pm On Jan 01, 2018
good development. however, we need to work on getting rice to the SE, SS and SW. Our roads and transport infrastructure are just too useless to support movement of rice from the production belts in the north eg kebbi to most areas in the south. in fact, foreign rice is more common in these areas for these same reasons.
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by Validated: 9:33pm On Jan 01, 2018
I fully support the President on this. In fact,
I was already thinking of writing to the President on this Our people are too lazy, waiting for handouts snd entitlement. You only see them as either touts, Okada riders, drivers, street hawkers, money changers (unregistered bureaux de change) and agberos. Noone wants to farm, yet we talk of groundnut pyramid, palm plantation, rubber plantation and cocoa plantations of old.

Beyond banning imports, Government should be prepared to buy up excess grains at market prices from farmers. Farm produce takes time to mature from growth to harvest, what plans do our governments have to sustain these farmers?
It take more than just ban but a deliberate government policy to address the agricultural potentials of Nigeria.

I wonder why Nigeria with good arable land, great seasons all year round will be importing food from countries that have only 7 months for agricultural production. Shame on all of us!!!

Oh how I wish some of us have opportunities to turn things around. Nigeria is a great nation filled with great people, but government turns the people to become lazy. Politicians patronise agberos to win elections, we settle lazy pple on the name of militants. We encoutage hordes of almajiris to continue to use them for electoral gains, I can go on and on.

I recall years back one time Rivers governor PC Oyakilome launched School to Land project. Where is it today? Yet Amaechi and Wike are busy rearing tugs and giving ND pple hands out and creating imaginary empires and murderous warriors. .

Nigeria need to rise up above oil money. In fact oil is already becoming uselessness anyway.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by vision2050: 9:52pm On Jan 01, 2018
Let the local rice be enough, before ban imported rice. Don't kill us please. 40,000 bags of rice that Ogun state government commissioned didn't not circulate, I didn't even see a cup to buy. Two local governments benefit Abeokuta South and North out of 20. Produce enough before u put a stop from coming in.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by evy800(f): 10:11pm On Jan 01, 2018
Its a good development, as it is the only way to continue 2 encourage local production, mk our farmers enjoy their labor 2.Gud 1 Buhari
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by uba1991: 11:54pm On Jan 01, 2018
Billyonaire:
You guys eat too much cheap rice.

Mr. President is banning the import so you guys can patronize the local ones at a higher price to show your patriotism.

My Question;
Is the Power Bike his son rode to near-death, made in Nigeria ?
some people are just disgracing dia families
Let me ask u. The phone u are using to type dis rubbish is it made in Aba? I don't want to call u a fool but u reason like one
God bless Nigeria
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by Ugbavihi: 12:56am On Jan 02, 2018
We don't have enough locally manufacture rice yet..... Let him not take up this conjectural decision again that will affect naija ooo
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by romme2u: 1:10am On Jan 02, 2018
Missy89:
Only village idiots on naira land will call this a good development. Banning rice importation will give people less choice and will increase the price of rice since local producers wont have any competition.
grin

of course what do you expect from BMC
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by chngebeginwthme: 1:56am On Jan 02, 2018
loveth360:
banning things you cant even produce.

What a zoo.

hahaha the money you have made from smuggling rice is enough to start legal business..

Beside We have lake rice, Abakaliki, Ofada in ogun state etc..

God Bless PMB.. if you like kill yourself..
Re: Nigeria To Ban Rice Importation This Year – Buhari by tundeport(m): 3:39am On Jan 02, 2018
If we continue like this,we are heading to rite directions gradually.pmb continue joooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK): Nigerian Army Renames Operation In The North East / Call For Ayu’s Resignation Achievable – Atiku / Dr. Mahmud Raji To Be Imposed As CMD Of National Hospital - DAILY NIGERIAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.