Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,416 members, 7,808,481 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:37 PM

Feminism: What Is Your View About It? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Feminism: What Is Your View About It? (12519 Views)

Poll: Do you Agree with it?

Yes!: 52% (31 votes)
No!: 47% (28 votes)
This poll has ended

Lord Luggard's View About Hausa-fulani Before His Death / View About D New Efcc Chairman-ibrahim Lamorde / Multi-party System In Nigeria? What's your View (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Feb 28, 2007
I am soon going to have an oral test in English and I have decided to choose Feminism as my subject matter. I'd like you all to please share your views with me in order to later use them as documents for my research! Your cooperation will be highly appreciated!

This is the question: Do you believe in this women emancipation?

Please vote and write down your answer. This will be useful to me to stipulate a percentage of the women and men who voted against or pro!

Thank you in advance!
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by Sijien(m): 4:22pm On Feb 28, 2007
feminism is a waste of everybodys time.
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by toshmann(m): 6:14pm On Feb 28, 2007
michy,
why dont you start by defining feminism? that way you'll be more professional and people can see clearly what they are voting for.
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 28, 2007
@ Toshmann Feminism is a very vast topic and to define it will signify going to pick all the types of feminism which are more than 10.

To make it short let's say feminism shouldn't be seen as Sexism. Sexism or Chauvinism declares the male sex superior to the female sex. On the other hand, feminism is just a movement whose main aim is to make everyone to recognize the diversities between the sexes but also make sure these differences aren't seen as a proof of the superiority of one sex on the other. So it is more like a call for the Valuation of the individual.
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by toshmann(m): 7:00pm On Feb 28, 2007
good start. anyway, right now i'm hungry, so i need to go get some food (i cant cook)but it seems this is a htread i'll be very involved in b/c i've done a thing or two about feminism in cardiff uni.
BTW, what is this thread doing in racism section? anyways, i'll be back
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Feb 28, 2007
Ask the children who are the main victims of the increase in divorce rate, they'll tell you what they think of feminism! grin
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by mazaje(m): 9:25pm On Feb 28, 2007
true talk donzman
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:28pm On Feb 28, 2007
Not sure why you would ask such a question considering the kinda imbeciles you know are on this site, mechelin.

Sade Adu is a child of divorce that looks better and makes more money than you ever will, Donzie. what do you say about that?
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by Nia: 10:52pm On Feb 28, 2007
michelin89:

I am soon going to have an oral test in English and I have decided to choose Feminism as my subject matter. I'd like you all to please share your views with me in order to later use them as documents for my research! Your cooperation will be highly appreciated!

Please vote and write down your answer. This will be useful to me to stipulate a percentage of the women and men who voted against or pro!

Thank you in advance!

I doubt this is really the place for any analytical or indepth knowledge of such movement, you'll generally just get typical anti-feminism rhetorics, but anyways,
I would lean more towards womanism than I do feminism. Feminism generally focuses on the oppression of white women and have historically neglected those of women of color and womanism generally recognizes the different types and forms of oppression on different groups of women, including non-white women all over the world. I am against capitalism, but I don't have time to write a long essay on it, however, I think in your research you might look into how capitalism fosters/encourages oppression of women and people of color.
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by toshmann(m): 12:22am On Mar 01, 2007
apart from capitalism you also have to look into the role of culture and religion. take note of the fact that what may be oppression in america may be the norm in iran. so you may as well narrow your topic further to a particular geographical area.

in this kind of topic there may be no right or wrong answer, but ur argumentative ability is on trial here. so u'll have to take a stand and stand by it. we'll talk more.

cheers cool
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by Nobody: 1:18am On Mar 01, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Not sure why you would ask such a question considering the kind of imbeciles you know are on this site, mechelin.
Sade Adu is a child of divorce that looks better and makes more money than you ever will, Donzie. what do you say about that?

might you be one of them dear?
careful what you say!
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by Nobody: 1:22am On Mar 01, 2007
michelin89:

Thank you in advance!

women should definitely be regarded as full fledged humans with the same thinking capacity as men.
Feminists have other agenda.
Show me a happily married feminist!!!
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:34am On Mar 01, 2007
*rolls eyes* I am not one of them osisi cos I actually know the difference between a feminist and a femi-nazi

babyosisi:

women should definitely be regarded as full fledged humans with the same thinking capacity as men.
Feminists have other agenda.
Show me a happily married feminist!!!

as shown above even you dont know the meaning of feminism as all they want is to have the same rights as men. It's femi-nazis that take it to the extreme on a whole crazier tangent

Thanks for proving my inital point.
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by Nobody: 1:37am On Mar 01, 2007
so why are on on a thread with imbeciles?
when are you going to stop talking like this.
Is there no soft side to you?
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by Nobody: 1:39am On Mar 01, 2007
I have NEVER heard femi nazi and I'm sure several people haven't either.
Is it what the good feminists call the bad ones?
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:55am On Mar 01, 2007
why are you always bothering me? Reply the thread and leave.

Shouldnt you be off making me threads looking for trouble on how various people are supposedly of multiple identities?

Do you see me following you in your numerous threads where you attack muslims?

Seriously get away from me before I report you for constantly hounding me.

ALOT of the men esp the ones on this board have no idea on what the word even means but anytime they see someone a female as for equal respect on a matter they automatically labelled the person as a feminist, the word shouldnt even have to exist if people werent so damn ignorant and sexist. Even Nia pointed out in her comment that isnt the kind of place where you can truly discuss such a thing so seriously say your own and get off my back then go mingle with your people.
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by neelsel(f): 2:18am On Mar 01, 2007
Feminism ROCKS!!

*now I take my bow and quietly leaves*
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by Nobody: 2:35am On Mar 01, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Not sure why you would ask such a question considering the kind of imbeciles you know are on this site, mechelin.

Don't be shallow, wealth or beauty doesn't equal happiness. Feminists are crap, so 1970's!

as shown above even you don't know the meaning of feminism as all they want is to have the same rights as men.

Don't deceive yourself, feminists are way more than that and you know it.
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by Nia: 5:03am On Mar 01, 2007
@ toshman not really sure if you're addressing me or the original poster? I know u mentioned capitalism, but your last paragraph left me sorta confused. Regarding your point on capitalism: No, capitalism is not the only system that fosters oppression of a group of people or women, but it's one I feel more strongly against having lived where it is practiced. Nor do I think culture and the type of economic system (so to speak) practiced in a/many country are mutually exclusive or play little role in affecting each other.
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by toshmann(m): 9:27am On Mar 01, 2007
i wasn't criticising you. i was just contributing more points to the one u made.
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by Nobody: 11:46am On Mar 01, 2007
Someone asked why this thread is in this section. Answer: I wanted to get people to notice it. Also I think this is the right board. Afterall it's about discrimination.

People continue with your posts! I am really enjoying this division and ideas. it also surprising to know that women aren't so pleased by this movement! I would like to know why!
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by GNature(m): 5:48pm On Mar 01, 2007
nice picture there TOH wink

*sorry for going off topic*
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Mar 01, 2007
TOH this maybe the one you've been waiting for lol.
The Lord does move in mysterious ways.
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:05pm On Mar 01, 2007
thanks Gnature smiley

Im taken, osisi. Now clean the egg off your face and dont let it stain my carpet.
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Mar 01, 2007
eggs ke?
I'm happy for you,why shouldn't I be?
when are the bells ringing?
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:15pm On Mar 01, 2007
after your first naming ceramony smiley
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by toshmann(m): 6:24pm On Mar 01, 2007
wow!!!!!i can see feminism nairaland style
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Mar 01, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

after your first naming ceramony smiley

we don't do naming ceremonies so you'll be waiting forever
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by neelsel(f): 7:13pm On Mar 01, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

I'm taken, osisi. Now clean the egg off your face and don't let it stain my carpet.

Congrats!! am awaiting the date, even if am not invited I will find out the venue and invite myself grin grin
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:18pm On Mar 01, 2007
lol neelsel you craze

My apologies osisi, I always thought naming ceramonies was a Nigerian thing, not just exclusive to the Yorubas so I will correct my statement

After your first child then cool
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by TerraCotta(m): 7:53pm On Mar 01, 2007
Information about Igbo naming ceremony practices

Perhaps BabyOsisi's people/area has practices that differ from their neighbors, but naming ceremonies are pretty common to Nigerians and most other people all over the world.

Nia--I agree with your point distinguishing feminism from womanism. The thread-starter may want to google bell hooks (lower case--that's how she writes her name) for a perspective on how women of color view feminism as opposed to white women, who traditionally led the movement. I'll agree with everyone else that have said this isn't really an appropriate venue to gather research. Unless your professor/teacher is extremely lenient, they probably won't be too happy with the results of an internet poll.
Re: Feminism: What Is Your View About It? by LadyT(f): 8:22pm On Mar 01, 2007
I would go as far as saying naming ceremonies are a must for africans.

Can Osisi explain further why she doesnt have them?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Who Killed Funso Williams In 2006? / Coming From A Jonathan Fan In Imo State.. You Wont Believe This! / APC Supported Amaechi To Disgrace Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.