Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,803 members, 7,798,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:07 AM

Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice (2705 Views)

Dv 2011 American Lottery Results Finally Out / Dv 2012 Result Is Out ! / Visa Lottery Results Are Out (DV 2010 Status Check) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by ELDERLAGON: 6:29pm On Apr 07, 2010
Hi forum.My lil sister  is a winner of DV 2010 and her husband is a derivative.Her derivative(spouse) bears ADEDAYO JONATHAN OLUWADAYO(not real name) on his birth certificate and some other documents.But in the first notification letter sent to them by KCC,the spouse shortened OLUWADAYO to DAYO (i.e. ADEDAYO JONATHAN DAYO).My sister is restive and she has sought my professional advice on this.As a professional in the field,I suggested  to them that the spouse should do 'to whom it may concern' in the national newspaper and back it up with an affidavit .However,they were of the opinion that he should do another e-passport. I prefer my advice to theirs because of the following reasons  1. For him to obtain a new e-passport,he will need to travel from Lagos to  Abuja to do it.Two,since all his academic documents bear OLUWADAYO JONATHAN ADEDAYO,obtaining a new passport may be an exercise in futility.3.The spouse has been a past winner of the DV programme,so the embassy will have his database.I hope I am in order.Or what do you feel?
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by dancewith: 6:58pm On Apr 07, 2010
ELDERLAGON:

Hi forum.My lil sister is a winner of DV 2010 and her husband is a derivative.Her derivative(spouse) bears ADEDAYO JONATHAN OLUWADAYO(not real name) on his birth certificate and some other documents.But in the first notification letter sent to them by KCC,the spouse shortened OLUWADAYO to DAYO (i.e. ADEDAYO JONATHAN DAYO).My sister is restive and she has sought my professional advice on this.As a professional in the field,I suggested to them that the spouse should do 'to whom it may concern' in the national newspaper and back it up with an affidavit .However,they were of the opinion that he should do another e-passport. I prefer my advice to theirs because of the following reasons 1. For him to obtain a new e-passport,he will need to travel from Lagos to Abuja to do it.Two,since all his academic documents bear OLUWADAYO JONATHAN ADEDAYO,obtaining a new passport may be an exercise in futility.3.The spouse has been a past winner of the DV programme,so the embassy will have his database.I hope I am in order.Or what do you feel?

I do not understand this. The letter from KCC must have shown the name of the spouse as submitted by the wife at the time of the application. So at what point was this shortened by the husband? If I understand your post clearly, the husband has been refused a DV before so why on earth should he play pranks with his initial? What were his motives?? The wife indeed must have good reasons to be restive because he is clearly going to get them both refused

My advice
He should immediately write to the Kentucky office with the details of his real name and informing them to update his records as the Dayo is a short form for Adedayo. He should thereafter play by the rules!
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by omega25red(m): 9:03pm On Apr 07, 2010
dancewith:

I do not understand this. The letter from KCC must have shown the name of the spouse as submitted by the wife at the time of the application. So at what point was this shortened by the husband? If I understand your post clearly, the husband has been refused a DV before so why on earth should he play pranks with his initial? What were his motives?? The wife indeed must have good reasons to be restive because he is clearly going to get them both refused

My advice
He should immediately write to the Kentucky office with the details of his real name and informing them to update his records as the Dayo is a short form for Adedayo. He should thereafter play by the rules!
or he can go to court and get his name legally changed that way he would have papers showing who he is.
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by Nobody: 7:45am On Apr 08, 2010
Since he's a past winner he don't need to be her derivative so he don't mess up her chances.
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by ELDERLAGON: 9:55am On Apr 08, 2010
By 'not the real name',I mean the name I used in the post is pseudo,not that he used a fake name.
@dancewith
thanks very sincerely for your advice.They got married after my sister had played the DV(not after she had won),so he became a derivative after the first notification was sent.As regards playing pranks,I do not think he meant that.In fact his old international passport(one he used during his interview) bears DAYO,and not OLUWADAYO.I think he maintained that DAYO because he was aware that the embassy might still have that in its database.
Their interview date is around May,and they have done the medicals in the name OLUWADAYO because that is what he has on his E-PASSPORT.I think writing to KCC to update his record might alter their interview date,or what do you feel?

@OMEGA25RED
thanks a million for your input.I think my suggestion to them was AFFIDAVIT,your suggestion
@chimpunky,

Thanks too.But is there any DV rule that says/suggests past selectees can not apply again?I guess none.
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by aroy1: 9:36am On Apr 09, 2010
@elderlagon

I can see your brother-in-law jeopardising your sister's visa issuance.

Firstly, the mismatch in his name is mainly Nigerian factor & the US is not concerned.Probably this is why he was previously denied.Note, to the Americans, "Collins" & "Colin" are 2 entirely different names.More, same applies to OKE, John Ola & OKE, Ola John.I've seen many people denied the DV lottery visa based on overlooked Nigerian factors.Am afraid your people might lose their non-refundable $1550 (DV visa fee for couple) & chance to the visa if they think the US share our mentality.

Secondly, the US consulate deny a VERY HIGH PERCENTAGE of DV couples in which the initial applicant/winner was single.Many Nigerians have abused the system and the consulate is well aware such couples are 80-90% arrangee marriage, in other words fraudulent.Clearly,your case falls into this and already this is a good ground of refusal if they provide mismatched answers to questins asked when being interviewed as couples.

A word is enough for the wise.Goodluck.
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by dancewith: 5:46pm On Apr 09, 2010
@dancewith
thanks very sincerely for your advice.They got married after my sister had played the DV(not after she had won),so he became a derivative after the first notification was sent.As regards playing pranks,I do not think he meant that.In fact his old international passport(one he used during his interview) bears DAYO,and not OLUWADAYO.I think he maintained that DAYO because he was aware that the embassy might still have that in its database.
Their interview date is around May,and they have done the medicals in the name OLUWADAYO because that is what he has on his E-PASSPORT.I think writing to KCC to update his record might alter their interview date,or what do you feel?

From experience I have found out that the US consulate is not happy with any 'sworn affidavit' from Nigerians. It may be well that they get KCC to make a change and get a later date with a shot to success than do the interview in may with a high probability for failure
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by Nobody: 2:51am On Apr 11, 2010
go to forums.immigrations.com
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by sojjx(m): 10:38am On May 26, 2010
Can somebody pls help me? my interview is nest month and waec officials told me that it will take a minimum of 6 months for them to rectify a misspell in my name on the certificate after submission with the payment of 10k. I used the statement of the result from the school to process my bsc only to note a mistake in the spelling of my name when i went for the original certificate. I have about 20 days to my interview and all other required materials are ready, pls help!
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by conquerorb: 11:22am On May 26, 2010
pls can anyone tell me if the 2010 dv winners letters hv started to roll out. i played one b4 i was married and after marriage with my wife as a couple.wot are my chances of winnin . i understand the letters will be mailed from may 2010 to july 2010.am anticipatin repones.
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by dove24u(m): 2:27pm On May 26, 2010
conquerorb:

pls can anyone tell me if the 2010 dv winners letters hv started to roll out. i played one b4 i was married and after marriage with my wife as a couple.wot are my chances of winnin . i understand the letters will be mailed from may 2010 to july 2010.am anticipatin repones.

What do you mean by saying you played one before you got married and one after your marriage in the same year?

The NLs are already out check you Post office box.
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by aroy1: 4:50am On May 28, 2010
@sojjx

I might be able to give you some pointers off here if I know the extent of the mistake.You can drop your email or phone.
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by pady2: 7:52am On May 28, 2010
@ dove24u

i mean i first registered as a single person a mth b4 my wedddin and latter after the weddin under my wifes name as her husband and not all over again.i hope you now understand?
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by sojjx(m): 1:38pm On May 28, 2010
@aroy1
Thank you, sojjx@yahoo.com.
The mistake is, ADELOLA instead ADEBOLA

YOU CAN PLS MAIL ME, THANK YOU!,
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by aroy1: 2:41pm On May 28, 2010
@sojjx

Are your other names & date of birth in order?How old are you?When is your interview?If you want confidentiality, my email is kkklor@yahoo.com
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by MOG2009: 1:37am On May 29, 2010
This may sound stupid or foolish, but I think is the best chance for both couple. Let the wife finish the process of the DV lottery, get her visa and green card in three weeks on her arrival to U.S. Afterwards, filed for her hubby  and wait for him after five years as a US Citizen. Otherwise, there is likey  chance of losing this slot.
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by MOG2009: 1:38am On May 29, 2010
This may sound stupid or foolish, but I think is the best chance for both couple. Let the wife finish the process of the DV lottery, get her visa and green card in three weeks on her arrival to U.S. Afterwards, filed for her hubby  and wait for him after five years as a US Citizen. Otherwise, there is likey  chance of losing this slot.
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by Mudley313: 3:52am On May 29, 2010
Insert Quote
This may sound silly or foolish, but I think is the best chance for both couple. Let the wife finish the process of the DV lottery, get her visa and green card in three weeks on her arrival to U.S. Afterwards, filed for her hubby and wait for him after five years as a US Citizen. Otherwise, there is likey chance of losing this slot.

hmm. . .it takes more than five years for the spouse of a green card holder to be approved and a green card holder becomes a citizen after five years before he/she files as a citizen which is another 1 to 2 years wait. so, two options: 1) out of fear of losing the visa, allow only your wife to go, and be prepared for the pain of over 5 years of seperation or 2) take the risk of going with your wife and either loss all or gain immediate immigration to the US

depends on how desperate you are to be in the US, but me i'd take option 2
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by dove24u(m): 11:45am On May 29, 2010
pady2:

@ dove24u

i mean i first registered as a single person a mth b4 my wedddin and latter after the weddin under my wifes name as her husband and not all over again.i hope you now understand?

Yes I got you right now. You stand a better chance. You can win as a principal applicant and also be a derivative under your wife if she also win.
Its DV 2011 not DV 2010 and NL is being mailed to the selectees, you can check your Post Office add, I mean the one you used during the online registration/application. goodluck!!!
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by sojjx(m): 1:05pm On May 29, 2010
@aroy1
Thanks alot, the names on other documents are very correct, I have just two weeks now
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by aroy1: 2:34pm On May 29, 2010
@sojjx

Have you asked WAEC to give you a cover letter to the US Consulate?You should now have my phone in your mail.It would be better to call.
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by ucheawesom: 3:07pm On May 30, 2010
I may be wrong but i thought that since he is a derivative that the embassy is not so much concerned wt his info,but rather the wifes info as the pricipal applicant.

Again,u said in the !st NL that KCC sent his name was wrong,how can his name even be in the 1st Nl if they got married after the wife played.Certainly,the guys name cant be in the 1st NL,rather its after she has received the NL that they complete the immigration forms including the husband since he was not originally included in the DV application.
I say this cos i have been there .

finally like someone has pointed out,the embassy distrusts all the marriages after the DV.the same thing happend to me.I won sinlge,included my husband and believe me it was really tough but after many interviews they were convinced.My hubby and i were more than prepared,again we have been together for 4 yrs b4 dat so we knew each other so well that we were not caught off guard.
Additonally i must tell that of all the many ppl that got married after winning the DV only two were granted.The rest were rejectd so weigh ur options very well.
all the best
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by pady2: 8:58am On Jun 02, 2010
@ dove24u,thks

actually, as i type this, i hv not yet rec'd any NL.am really hopin this comes tru for one of us.i really hope it does cos its my one wish for this yr.abeg follow me pray to baba God oooo.
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by Paulash(m): 6:51pm On Jun 05, 2010
Inform the KCC of any life changes made(including marriage) after you won the Lottery. Send an email to them with all the documents(scanned copies) concerning your marriage, change of name, discrepancies in your names or certificates etc(always include your Case Number in all your correspondence with KCC), they will adjust your records accordingly.
Also you can check out immigrationportal.com(check the Nigerian threads there), you'll get more than enough information.
The embassy will give you your visa, even if you got married after winning the lottery, just inform the KCC before your interview date and have more than enough evidence to show your marriage is genuine.
I hope this helps. I am pressed for time so i wrote this in a rush.I thought i should reply since I have experience in these matters.
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by aroy1: 8:42pm On Jun 05, 2010
Paulash:

Inform the KCC of any life changes made(including marriage) after you won the Lottery. Send an email to them with all the documents(scanned copies) concerning your marriage, change of name, discrepancies in your names or certificates etc(always include your Case Number in all your correspondence with KCC), they will adjust your records accordingly.
Also you can check out immigrationportal.com(check the Nigerian threads there), you'll get more than enough information.
The embassy will give you your visa, even if you got married after winning the lottery, just inform the KCC before your interview date and have more than enough evidence to show your marriage is genuine.
I hope this helps. I am pressed for time so i wrote this in a rush.I thought i should reply since I have experience in these matters.

You erred.Your text above in bold are misinformation.
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by Paulash(m): 4:49pm On Jun 06, 2010
@aroy1
I've experienced this happen a thousand times.I didnt just write what I wrote for fun.Please prove me wrong.
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by ELDERLAGON: 12:38pm On Jun 12, 2010
Thank Heaven,my lil sister has got the visa afterall.During the interview in early May,she and her husband(derivative) were screwed with questions,particularly questions on their relationship.But the couple were at their best to the admiration of the embassy staff.Going by the way the interview went that day,it showed clearly that KCC had initially marked them for refusal.However,the embassy staff, considering the fact that the couple were genuine,decided to schedule another interview for them to hold July.But as God would have it,the couple were called last week monday to come for an interview in any day last week.And they eventually went on wednesday.My regards to all the forum members that gave their pieces of advice.
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by Carmint: 9:05am On Sep 19, 2010
please can anyone forward the link to check the dv2010 results?
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by Kevdee4reel(m): 1:05pm On Sep 22, 2010
I would like to know if there is a secret to winning the lottery. I know all the picture specifics but is there something else. I've never won before and people are talking about winning twice or thrice. Thanks.
Re: Dv 2010 Winners Need Your Advice by dregmaster: 3:22pm On Sep 23, 2010
@ELDERLAGON, so did they apply to KCC to rectify the mistake or did a sworn affidavit for a change of name?

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Preparing For GRE (graduate Record Examinations) Lets Meet Here. / British Green Card ! / The Cheapest Airline To Dubai From Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.