Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,143 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:43 AM

2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets (12054 Views)

Lawan Woos PDP Senators With Juicy Chairmanship Slots / Senate President Aspirant Woos PDP Senators-elect With Constituency Projects / Leave Sinking Party, APC Woos Aggrieved PDP Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by dre11(m): 7:54am On Jan 04, 2018
By Felix Nwaneri

The poaching of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) legislators by the All Progressives Congress (APC) is unlikely to abate despite the outcry by the leadership of the main opposition party. New Telegraph gathered from sources in both parties that the APC leadership is wooing the opposition federal legislators with promises of return tickets to the Senate and House of Representatives in the 2019 general elections. This has not only sent shock waves to camp of the opposition party, but threatening its newly elected rebuilding efforts.

However, the leadership of the ruling party is said to have intensified efforts to convince more of the PDP legislators to dump their platform. The PDP House caucus, recently, staged a walkout from the Green Chamber over the defection of Hon. Nnanna Igbokwe, who represents Ahiazu Mbaise/ Ezinihitte Federal Constituency of Imo State to the APC. Igbokwe’s defection letter was read by Speaker Yakubu Dogara, after which he granted effect to it, but the lawmakers subsequently protested, while some of them left the plenary session.

The PDP also lost another of its lawmaker to the ruling party two days Igbokwe’s defection when the member representing Egor/Ikpoba-okha Federal Constituency of Edo State, Hon. Johnson Agbonayinma, defected to the APC. He became the eighth member of the PDP to dump the party in 2017. His defection cut the numerical strength of the PDP in the Green Chamber to 118.

The lawmaker had described the PDP as “darkness,” where he could no longer belong because he had seen the “light” in the APC. “The PDP has shut the door against me,” he told the House in his letter read by Dogara.

Though the PDP House Caucus celebrated his defection unlike in previous cases where they protested against the defection of their members, the development is said to have unsettled not only the PDP National Assembly Caucus, but the leadership of the party as well. The PDP has also, before now, lost some of its members in the Senate to the ruling party. The 8th Senate, on inauguration, was composed of 59 APC and 50 PDP senators. But, as it stands, the APC has 66 senators as against PDP’s 42.

This is as a result of defection of some of the opposition lawmakers to the ruling party, as well as losses through the courts and rerun polls.
Among the PDP senators who have jumped ship are Joshua Dariye (Plateau Central), Yele Omogunwa (Ondo South), Nelson Effiong (Akwa Ibom South) and Andy Uba (Anambra South).

The only Labour Party (LP) senator in the upper legislative chamber, Ovie Omo-Agege (Delta Central) also added to the swelling in APC’s rank with his recent defection to the ruling party, and there are speculations that more PDP senators will dump their platform soon.

A PDP source, who spoke on the issue, particularly told our correspondent that the party’s national leadership is jittery that the party may lose a majority of its lawmakers ahead of the forthcoming general elections, given the spate of defection of its lawmakers to the ruling party. He added that the APC is not only employing the defection strategy to weaken the PDP’s strength in the National Assembly, but also using it to tighten the noose on the opposition ahead of the forthcoming general elections.

“Whereas the PDP on one hand kicked against the defection of one of its lawmakers in the House of Representatives and on the other hand celebrated the other, there is no doubt that it is troubled over the gale of defections as they are coming at a time the party needs these members to consolidate on the gains of its recent national convention.

“Is it not surprising that some of the defectors are citing all sorts of flimsy excuses for dumping the platform through which they got elected to the National Assembly such as leadership crisis and factionalization, even when it is clear to all that the PDP has resolved its crisis with the successful conduct of its recent national convention?

“While one cannot deny them of their right to associate with whichever party they want to, I can tell you that their defections were prompted by the ruling APC, which has promised return tickets in 2019 to PDP lawmakers, whether at the federal or state level, who are ready to join its fold,” the source said.

He further revealed that PDP lawmakers, who are not ready to accept the offer, risked being harassed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). He cited example of the recent ordeal of former Senate President, David Mark, in the hand of the anti-graft agency.

He said: “There is no hiding the fact that the APC leadership is out to deplete the PDP’s rank in the National Assembly and it is not only doing this by wooing the opposition lawmakers to its fold through promises of return tickets, but has also assured them of protection from the preying eyes of officials of the anti-graft agencies.

“You will agree with me that most of the PDP lawmakers had their hands soiled while their party was in power and given the belief that the APC is likely to unleash the EFCC on perceived members of the opposition ahead of the 2019 general elections, the lawmakers are jumping at the offer to avoid anything that will rock their chances of returning to the National Assembly.”

While the source cautioned those jumping at the APC offer to think twice as the party “hardly keeps its promises,” a member of the PDP Board of Trustees (BoT), who spoke on the issue, told New Telegraph that the party is not losing sleep over its lawmakers’ defecting to the ruling party.

His words: “Anybody can defect to anywhere; there is nothing we can do about that. They have freedom of movement and you cannot stop them. They cannot claim they are defecting because of crisis because we have resolved all our differences, they are defecting because they want to defect; I wish them good luck.”

https://newtelegraphonline.com/2018/01/2019-apc-woos-pdp-lawmakers-return-tickets/

lalasticlala
Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by HungerBAD: 7:55am On Jan 04, 2018
Interesting.

The APC does not woo. They have no reason to. As the PDP members jumping ship are only doing so for political survival.

That members of the PDP have the Atiku Syndrome(Jumping from one party to another) should not surprise anybody,and that they are jumping ship because of the fear of the EFCC is balderdash.

I knew those jumping ship will start from the East. I knew something was going on, when all of a sudden they started giving top APC members Chieftaincy titles left and right in the East.

To the APC I ask. Why exactly are you welcoming these guys that took Nigeria 50 years backward into the party?so they can get elected into power again and then continue looting the country from where they stopped?the APC has enough recycled thieves from the OLD thieving Goodluck Jonathan Brigade to last us until 2087.

These thieves are not welcome in the APC.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by Jones612(m): 7:56am On Jan 04, 2018
Politrics.
Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by Crying4NIGERIA(m): 7:58am On Jan 04, 2018
Wow
Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by Crying4NIGERIA(m): 7:59am On Jan 04, 2018
Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by chikago1: 8:00am On Jan 04, 2018
HungerBAD:
K
welcome back, I missed your epic replies and blunt honesty. Happy New year.

2 Likes

Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by ouzo1(m): 8:05am On Jan 04, 2018
Jones612:
Politrics.

Advanced scammers
Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by Lipscomb(m): 8:15am On Jan 04, 2018
Who care I'm not concern about these useless lawmakers they thought they are wise especially that man call Joshua dariye this name is a old name in political arenas.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by IamPatriotic(m): 8:16am On Jan 04, 2018
I thought they said Atiku would move all APC legislators to PDP, why is it the other way round?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by NgeneUkwenu(f): 8:18am On Jan 04, 2018
IamPatriotic:
I thought they said Atiku would move all APC legislators to PDP, why is it the other way round?

2 Likes

Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by Nobody: 8:32am On Jan 04, 2018
SMH ,so APC will return the defected lawmakers to the house not the masses the claim to represent? And you call this democracy?

Politics without principle and ideology.

APC and PDP are both sides of a coin.

With these crop of politicians Nigeria has (including Buhari and Atiku),those waiting for Nigeria to progress will wait and their unborn children will wait too.

THE LAND OF THE RISING SUN MUST SET FORTH AT DAWN

2 Likes

Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by Firefire(m): 8:35am On Jan 04, 2018
Fraudulent party searching and 'wooing' their likes...

APC, party of professional looters and career rogues.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by NgeneUkwenu(f): 8:37am On Jan 04, 2018
[s]
Firefire:
Fraudulent party searching and 'wooing' their likes...

APC, party of professional looters and career rogues.
[/s]

Sorry Atiku boy!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by Firefire(m): 8:39am On Jan 04, 2018
NgeneUkwenu:
[s][/s]

Sorry Atiku boy!

4 Likes

Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by HungerBAD: 8:42am On Jan 04, 2018
chikago1:
welcome back, I missed your epic replies and blunt honesty. Happy New year.

Thank you Boss.

Miss you guys.
Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by chikago1: 11:43am On Jan 04, 2018
HungerBAD:

Thank you Boss.

Miss you guys.
I have been trying to get your attention. But it's hard because you're a nland celebrity. I would appreciate it if you could give me a few minutes. I don't know how to send pm's though.
Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by AnodaIT(m): 11:58am On Jan 04, 2018
I just dey pity all those Benue and South East lawmakers especially Ebonyi decamping and thinking they can win under APC

Anyway, $1bn Boko Haram money is being utilize well for campaign
Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by jazinogold(m): 12:03pm On Jan 04, 2018
angry sad

Return ticket to their village angry angry
Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by purem(m): 12:03pm On Jan 04, 2018
WHO ELSE NOTICE THAT PPL ARE NOT TOO ACTIVE ON NL TODAY
Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by Gkay1(m): 12:04pm On Jan 04, 2018
is too long jor, I dont have time to read all dis.
next news
Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by Iyajelili(f): 12:04pm On Jan 04, 2018
Useless people
Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jan 04, 2018
ALL WE ARE SAYING... BACK2DAURA
https://www.nairaland.com/4266624/back-daura
Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by olaolulazio(m): 12:06pm On Jan 04, 2018
Double challenge o
Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by IcePk(m): 12:07pm On Jan 04, 2018
The Government Is Playing You… And You Don’t Even Realize It!

The truth is, it’s NOT your fault… but it IS your responsibility!

It’s time to face the TRUTH.

The whole "Be a good little boy/girl. Get good grades. Got to college. Find a good job. Put away money into your retirement account and you’ll be just fine." charade is COLLAPSING right under our noses.

You’ve been lead to believe that happiness and security were waiting for you...if only you did as you were told.

You’ve been told that as long you followed the path society laid out for you, you’d be ok.

You were told that the government would protect you…

That the school system would educate you…

And that your corporate job would take care of you, like you took care of them.

But chances are that’s NOT working out as planned for you...

Surveys show 1 in 3 Americans have NO retirement savings.

Surveys show most Americans don't have even $1,000 in their bank account.

And this may sound crazy...but surveys show that only 20% of Americans are free of debt.

Horrifying stats yes...but honestly, not surprising.

Not when millions of students nationwide borrow as much as $40K A YEAR with the dream of getting a degree that’s supposed to open doors for them…

Only to face being forced back to their parents’ place, because there just aren’t any jobs for their line of work.

As if that wasn’t enough, it seems like every decent paying job is either being replaced by automation through software or robots…

Or it’s being shipped overseas so companies can save a few dollars on payrolls.

It’s no wonder that a new report from the McKinsey Global Institute titled "Poorer than their Parents: Flat or Falling Incomes in Advanced Economies," shows a drastic trend in declining incomes for middle class workers.

The report found that as much as 70% of households saw their earnings drop in the past decade.

To put it bluntly: Those who had been taught to expect their wealth to grow as long as they obediently followed society’s path of choice, have learned that this promise is a LIE.

Look the reality is that the ruling minority is interested in having an obedient, loyal workforce practically enslaved by debt.

So if you chose to believe the lie and headed down this dead-end path... it’s NOT your fault. We’ve ALL been played.

But it IS your RESPONSIBILITY to do something about it - and guarantee that you and your family will NOT be played anymore.

The first step is to embrace this truth…and the next step is to get educated on what’s REALLY going on right now.

And today you’re in luck…

Because my friend and mentor David Sharpe just released his newest training video, and it is an ABSOLUTE MUST WATCH if you’re ready to WAKE UP, face the truth and DO something about it:

FREE Training: http://endfinancialstressnow.com/secret/index.php?aid=9219

The best part is that I have the right to give you access to this training for FREE.

Yes, FREE.

All you have to do is tell Dave where to send it to you and you’ll be able to watch it IMMEDIATELY:

FREE Training: http://endfinancialstressnow.com/secret/index.php?aid=9219

Are you ready to make a change?

Then click the link above and get ready to take ACTION!
Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jan 04, 2018
grin

Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jan 04, 2018

Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by izzou(m): 12:14pm On Jan 04, 2018
HungerBAD:
Interesting.

The APC does not woo. They have no reason to. As the PDP members jumping ship,are only doing so for political survival.

That members of the PDP have the Atiku Syndrome(Jumping from one party to another) should not surprise anybody,and that they are jumping ship because of the fear of the EFCC is balderdash.

I knew those jumping ship will start from the East. I knew something was going on, when all of a sudden they started giving top APC members Chieftaincy titles left and right in the East.

To the APC I ask. Why exactly are you welcoming these guys that took Nigeria 50 years backward into the party?so they can get elected into power again and then continue looting the country from where they stopped?the APC has enough recycled thieves from the OLD thieving Goodluck Jonathan Brigade to last us until 2087.

These thieves are not welcome in the APC.

Happy new year bro

Where have thou been? grin
Re: 2019: APC Woos PDP Lawmakers With Return Tickets by Omeokachie: 12:14pm On Jan 04, 2018
...as desperation sets in!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Keep Quiet If You Can’t Name Looters, PDP Tells Osinbajo / Abacha $322m Loot : Reps Move To Use Fund To Resuscitate Ajaokuta Steel, Railway / Governorship Election: Edo Govt Declares Friday Sept 18 Work-free Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.