Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,794 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

Tips On How To Drive At Night - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tips On How To Drive At Night (1620 Views)

If You Have Kids In Your Compound, Don’t Be In A Hurry To Drive Out (picture) / Video Of A Dad Teaching His 3year Old Daughter How To Drive Wow / Saudi Women Celebrate News They Will Finally Be Allowed To Drive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips On How To Drive At Night by Nobody: 7:49am On Jan 05, 2018
Pls pple
I have been driving mostly during d day
Only once at 6:40pm
I have never driven at night before

Is there any diff, kinda risk
Difficulties

Pls tips
Cos am planning on doing some night driving today mayb 7,8pm
Thanks
Re: Tips On How To Drive At Night by koolaid87: 7:55am On Jan 05, 2018
You’ll survive on your own

Just take it easy, no need to speed

2 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Drive At Night by tmx21(m): 7:58am On Jan 05, 2018
I dont think driving at night is so hard. Just dont be too scared plus don't overspeed cos your car light cant see the whole road at a time.

Start with a familiar road.
Re: Tips On How To Drive At Night by Nobody: 7:59am On Jan 05, 2018
tmx21:
I dont think driving at night is so hard. Just dont be too scared plus don't overspeed cos your car light cant see the whole road at a time.

Start with a familiar road.
Tanx , I will update u guys.

Yeah its a familiar road
Re: Tips On How To Drive At Night by mammanbawa: 8:03am On Jan 05, 2018
There is a huge difference and you have to be ready for it.
First of all, be prepared for the ignorant drivers who do not know the difference between full light and dim.
Secondly, be very careful with stray animals so as not to fall victim to a road kill.
Do not forget reckless humans who do not care about their lives by wearing dark clothes and crossing the road as they please.
Lastly, drive with utmost care and regulate the use of your headlamps (full and dim), driving past a car with full lights is very displeasing. Stay safe and don't endanger the lives of others.

When and when not to use full light; use it when there are no oncoming cars on the opposite side (or when the oncoming drivers prove stubborn by not dimming their headlamps)
Do not use it when behind a vehicle you're about to overtake, the reflection is very annoying and displeasing on the vehicle's rear view mirrors.
Do not use it in residential areas, save yourself from a million curses.

Do not forget to drive very carefully, whenever you come across a fool that does not dim his lights, put on your car's full lights and keep to your right. You'll have very poor visibility at that moment but the right side of the road will be visible to an extent, use it as a guide until you get past that car.
Stay safe, cheers.

7 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Drive At Night by Nobody: 8:05am On Jan 05, 2018
mammanbawa:
There is a huge difference and you have to be ready for it.
First of all, be prepared for the ignorant drivers who do not know the difference between full light and dim.
Secondly, be very careful with stray animals so as not to fall victim to a road kill.
Do not forget reckless humans who do not care about their lives by wearing dark clothes and crossing the road as they please.
Lastly, drive with utmost care and regulate the use of your headlamps (full and dim), driving past a car with full lights is very displeasing. Stay safe and don't endanger the lives of others.

When and when not to use full light; use it when there are no oncoming cars on the opposite side (or when the oncoming drivers prove stubborn by not dimming their headlamps)
Do not use it when behind a vehicle you're about to overtake, the reflection is very annoying and displeasing on the vehicle's rear view mirrors.
Do not use it in residential areas, save yourself from a million curses.

Do not forget to drive very carefully, whenever you come across a fool that does not dim his lights, put on your car's full lights and keep to your right. You'll have very poor visibility at that moment but the right side of the road will be visible to an extent, use it as a guide until you get past that car.
Stay safe, cheers.

Exactly what I wanted to ask
Dim light nd full beam

Thanks
Re: Tips On How To Drive At Night by mammanbawa: 8:14am On Jan 05, 2018
Emzyme:

Exactly what I wanted to ask
Dim light nd full beam

Thanks

In some cars, if you switch on your head lamps, you have to tap the stick(on the left side of the steering wheel for LHDs) in your direction, a blue light(icon will pop up) on your instrument cluster.
In other cars, the stick has to be moved in the opposite direction and it will get stuck there until you decide to switch it off.
That blue light indicates your full light is engaged.
If you want to draw attention of other drivers, just tap on the stick to your direction slightly, the light will come on and go off immediately (simultaneously with the headlamps).

Difference is the brightness.
Managed to get you a snap, it's morning already hence the poor picture quality.
First picture; dim
Second picture; full lights. Take note of the blue light I'm talking about just above the headlamp indicator.

Re: Tips On How To Drive At Night by Nobody: 8:25am On Jan 05, 2018
mammanbawa:

In some cars, if you switch on your head lamps, you have to tap the stick(on the left side of the steering wheel for LHDs) in your direction, a blue light(icon will pop up) on your instrument cluster.
In other cars, the stick has to be moved in the opposite direction and it will get stuck there until you decide to switch it off.
That blue light indicates your full light is engaged.
If you want to draw attention of other drivers, just tap on the stick to your direction slightly, the light will come on and go off immediately (simultaneously with the headlamps).

Difference is the brightness.

Re: Tips On How To Drive At Night by mammanbawa: 8:54am On Jan 05, 2018
From the picture, I think your car is the xv10 camry wide body.
At the edge of the stick (LHS of the steering wheel)
Turn the edge of the stick anti clockwise, it has two positions; first one is for the parking lights while second position is the headlamp), switch on the headlamp (your dashboard and instrument cluster will illuminate and a green light icon will pop up on your instrument cluster indicating your headlamps are on {dim}. Shift the stick towards the cluster and it will get stuck in that position; the blue icon will pop up and that's the full light indicator). Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Drive At Night by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jan 05, 2018
mammanbawa:
From the picture, I think your car is the xv10 camry wide body.
At the edge of the stick (LHS of the steering wheel)
Turn the edge of the stick anti clockwise, it has two positions; first one is for the parking lights while second position is the headlamp), switch on the headlamp (your dashboard and instrument cluster will illuminate and a green light icon will pop up on your instrument cluster indicating your headlamps are on {dim}. Shift the stick towards the cluster and it will get stuck in that position; the blue icon will pop up and that's the full light indicator). Good luck.
Sir I Dnt Understand D Cluster Part, Its A Toyota Camry Orobo

D first line on d stick , d light is kinda low
If I turn it again its brighter

Buh I dnt knw how to move. D cluster thing
Re: Tips On How To Drive At Night by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jan 05, 2018
Tanx all got it
Switch to beam nd push down!!
Re: Tips On How To Drive At Night by mammanbawa: 6:59pm On Jan 05, 2018
Emzyme:

Sir I Dnt Understand D Cluster Part, Its A Toyota Camry Orobo

D first line on d stick , d light is kinda low
If I turn it again its brighter

Buh I dnt knw how to move. D cluster thing

Cluster is the display behind your steering wheel consisting of the fuel gauge, odometer, speedometer, tachometer and the temperature gauge.
If you read my post well, you'll see the part I explained the positions for the parking lights and headlamps. The faint light you're talking about is the parking light, the bright one is the main headlamp.
Hope it's all sorted now. Update the house on the journey. Cheers
Re: Tips On How To Drive At Night by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jan 05, 2018
mammanbawa:

Cluster is the display behind your steering wheel consisting of the fuel gauge, odometer, speedometer, tachometer and the temperature gauge.
If you read my post well, you'll see the part I explained the positions for the parking lights and headlamps. The faint light you're talking about is the parking light, the bright one is the main headlamp.
Hope it's all sorted now. Update the house on the journey. Cheers

Yeah tanx sir
Went well Just arrived home now

Smooth, only that d light was flashing directly into my eyes most times
Heeded ur advice to looks towards the right when d light gets into my eyes
Only 2 cars overtook me throughout sha.
Tanx am grateful

Finally drove at night today!!!!

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Drive At Night by mammanbawa: 7:15am On Jan 06, 2018
Emzyme:

Yeah tanx sir
Went well Just arrived home now

Smooth, only that d light was flashing directly into my eyes most times
Heeded ur advice to looks towards the right when d light gets into my eyes
Only 2 cars overtook me throughout sha.
Tanx am grateful

Finally drove at night today!!!!

You're welcome. Stay safe. Happy motoring.
Re: Tips On How To Drive At Night by anibirelawal(m): 3:22pm On Jan 07, 2018
Get yourself a semi-dark shade glasses/ sunglass.this will reduce the direct light ray coming from the opposite vehicle.with that, you will be able to see clearer at night.as time goes on, you wouldnt need the glasses again.by then you must have been better by driving at night. Goodluck.
Emzyme:
Pls pple
I have been driving mostly during d day
Only once at 6:40pm
I have never driven at night before

Is there any diff, kinda risk
Difficulties

Pls tips
Cos am planning on doing some night driving today mayb 7,8pm
Thanks
Get yourself a semi-dark shade glasses/ sunglass.this will reduce the direct light ray coming from the opposite vehicle.with that, you will be able to see clearer at night.as time goes on, you wouldnt need the glasses again.by then you must have been better by driving at night. Goodluck.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Corolla Is Overheating / Fixing The Madness In Nigeria's Auto Repair Industry / My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.