Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,647 members, 7,801,886 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:50 AM

"Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar (2466 Views)

Inheritance Even With A Will. Polygamous Families Are The Worst. / Some Families Are Really Suffering This Period / Is It Just My Family That Is Dysfunctional Or Every Other Families Are Like That (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by Niftyrules(m): 5:39am On Jan 06, 2018
Alexander Buds, a Doctoral scholar from the University of Edinburgh Scotland and Hope University England has shared exclusively with DAILYFAMILY his wonderful experience in Nigeria and the hospitality he enjoyed during his stay.

In this interview with him, he took us through his wonderful time in Nigeria, the level of acceptability he enjoyed with each family he visited and dropped with us some amazing memory of his two years stay here.

Can we meet you please?
My name is Alexander Buds. I am doing a PhD in the University of Edinburgh Scotland and Hope University Englands. I came to Nigeria two years ago.

What has been your experience with families in Nigeria?

I have had a lot of experience with families here. I have stayed with a host family in Lagos. My first host family was in Ogba this is newly married couple, Banke and Taiwo. They help me settle down in Lagos. I stayed in their house for more than six month.

What was the hospitality like with the Taiwos when you stayed with them?

Well they really included me in all of their family events. The first week they took me to a family wedding and when there was a new baby in the family, i was included in all of the family event.

So that means you went to the baby's christening?

Not a christening but i went to the hospital to visit the lady who put to bed.

You must have tasted some Nigerian delicacies. We are so sure you must have. Can you tell us some of them?

I spent a lot of time in the east and i like white soup (ofe nsala), i like goat meat . You know we don't have it too much in England. I like garri, it's heavy and fills me up.

Relating families in the UK and families in Nigeria, what is the difference?
I think the extended family is more important here, because nuclear family is more important in the UK. I have experienced some really nice hospitality here in the way people are open to include me into their families here they wouldn't over there. At times i have seen serious family conflicts. Some times I have seen the good times and the bad things.

Through out your stay in Nigeria have you been able to learn some new phrase, slang or have you been able to learn a new language?

I tried igbo but mainly i have been picking up pidgin.

So can you try something now?
How levels naw, wats popping, you be smoke picking, i will show you pepper.

So far your stay in Nigeria, do you feel any sense of belonging here or do you feel you should come back to Nigeria once again?

Well, this is already my third time in Nigeria and i think i can tell you i am definitely coming back.

Will you say Nigerian families are interesting or boring?
Never boring.

What is the interesting thing about Nigerian families?

Nigerian families are very traditional.'

https://dailyfamily.ng/nigerian-families-are-very-tradition-scottish-scholar/

Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by Niftyrules(m): 5:40am On Jan 06, 2018
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by biacan(f): 5:43am On Jan 06, 2018
Can't you see how happy he is wink he's definitely feeling himself..... had a great time in the east.... unlike some lipsrsealed
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by smulti(m): 6:06am On Jan 06, 2018
am I the only one who observed how the masquerade by his right hand side grabbed his hand like his life depends on it

1 Like

Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by smulti(m): 6:12am On Jan 06, 2018
biacan:
Can't you see how happy he is wink he's definitely feeling himself..... had a great time in the east.... unlike some lipsrsealed

this is childish !!

Nigeria generally are hospitable we only have bad governance

crooked politicians

scam pastors

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by Martin0(m): 6:23am On Jan 06, 2018
biacan:

Yeah true!
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by mamaafrik(m): 6:34am On Jan 06, 2018
Is it the English man that said "Nigerian family are very tradition "or a am i the one u didnt read my "Queen premeire" and "Agbo goes to school very well",should it not have been traditional?
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by Nobody: 6:58am On Jan 06, 2018
We live and breathe Family.
No solo runs.....

Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by biacan(f): 7:12am On Jan 06, 2018
smulti:

this is childish !!

Nigeria generally are hospitable we only have bad governance

crooked politicians

scam pastors
Hey don't affect me with your problems biko I didn't mention anyone's name there
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by biacan(f): 7:15am On Jan 06, 2018
Martin0:

Yeah true!
I hope you have an idea of where I'm heading wink
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by Martin0(m): 8:29am On Jan 06, 2018
biacan:
I hope you have an idea of where I'm heading wink

Very well nagringrin
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by biacan(f): 11:15am On Jan 06, 2018
Martin0:

Very well nagringrin
You are a wise guy wink
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by Martin0(m): 11:20am On Jan 06, 2018
biacan:
You are a wise guy wink

Confirm babe!

Come oo biacan wey my new year goodies?gringrin

Come oo lefulefu biacan don give u her new year goodies wey she promise u? Abi u don forget?
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by biacan(f): 11:40am On Jan 06, 2018
Martin0:

Confirm babe!

Come oo biacan wey my new year goodies?gringrin

Come oo lefulefu biacan don give u her new year goodies wey she promise u? Abi u don forget?
E still dey my mind just busy with something's that's why I'll see you guys personally chim
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by Martin0(m): 11:51am On Jan 06, 2018
biacan:
E still dey my mind just busy with something's that's why I'll see you guys personally chim

Eh eh ah trust u sha!
Lefulefu take note oogrin
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by biacan(f): 11:55am On Jan 06, 2018
Martin0:

Eh eh ah trust u sha! Lefulefu take note oogrin
Martin Martin e have now join bad gang again
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by Martin0(m): 11:57am On Jan 06, 2018
biacan:
Martin Martin e have now join bad gang again

Atleast na bad gang wey go dey give me courage to mingle with u nau!grin
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by biacan(f): 12:03pm On Jan 06, 2018
Martin0:

Atleast na bad gang wey go dey give me courage to mingle with u nau!grin
You say waiting so to mingle with me you need courage this bad gang people wants to spoil your mind towards me

Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by Martin0(m): 12:09pm On Jan 06, 2018
biacan:
You say waiting so to mingle with me you need courage this bad gang people wants to spoil your mind towards me

Abi ooogrin ask lefulefugrin
Him tell me say him like u oogrin

So I was asking him if he truely likes u? And he said yes!grin
Don't u wish to have lefulefu unlike megrin

See that reminds me I no sabi skelewu oogringrin and lefulefu na good teacher,am sure u don't want a boring marriage! Shine ur eye oo babegrin
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by biacan(f): 12:12pm On Jan 06, 2018
Martin0:

See that reminds me I no sabi skelewu oogringrin and lefulefu na good teacher,am sure u don't want a boring marriage! Shine ur eye oo babegrin
Yes nah I was moving fine with him until you came to spoil his package......lol
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jan 06, 2018
Martin0:

u never told me u don dey receive lessons frm lai Muhammed cheesy

Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by Martin0(m): 12:19pm On Jan 06, 2018
lefulefu:
u never told me u don dey receive lessons frm lai Muhammed cheesy

Oh so u don become friends with deny Melaye abigringrin

#issoright#
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by Martin0(m): 12:20pm On Jan 06, 2018
biacan:
Yes nah I was moving fine with him until you came to spoil his package......lol

Ok sorry am trying to stitch it abeggrin
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by biacan(f): 12:23pm On Jan 06, 2018
Martin0:

Stitch waiting e si gini

Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by biacan(f): 12:24pm On Jan 06, 2018
Martin0:

Stitch waiting e si gini

Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by Martin0(m): 12:27pm On Jan 06, 2018
biacan:
Stitch waiting e si gini
U nor know da story again abigrin
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by Martin0(m): 12:28pm On Jan 06, 2018
biacan:
Stitch waiting e si gini
Abeg mek una lemme sleep,!
Lefulefu leter na! I wan sleep abeg
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by biacan(f): 12:29pm On Jan 06, 2018
Martin0:

U nor know da story again abigrin
Abeg ooo I nor know anything I still be young girl
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by Martin0(m): 12:30pm On Jan 06, 2018
biacan:
Abeg ooo I nor know anything I still be young girl

Young girl ke,na dem bad pass oogrin
Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by biacan(f): 12:31pm On Jan 06, 2018
Martin0:

OK go sleep grin

Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by biacan(f): 12:31pm On Jan 06, 2018
Martin0:

OK go sleep grin

Re: "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar by biacan(f): 12:36pm On Jan 06, 2018
Martin0:

Young girl ke,na dem bad pass oogrin
Better go sleep but don't pay in kind oooo grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Lady Brought Me A Pregnancy With Shady Background How Should I Go About It? / My Strange Experience With Nigeria Women, Will Make Any Man To Commit Suicide. / Help!! Desperately Need To Get Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.