Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) (54968 Views)

LAUTECH Online Transcripts And Letter Of English Proficiency / Test Your English Proficiency Here / How To Improve Your English Speaking(check It Out). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by druxy(m): 12:06am On Jan 07, 2018
it's the daughter....
if it was the mother..it'll have been..."as a result of being drunk" or "due to"....not "because"
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by dyomatrix1(m): 12:09am On Jan 07, 2018
MrHistorian:
Ambiguity!!!!

U HAVE D CORRECT ANSA. q.e.d

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Nobody: 12:20am On Jan 07, 2018
Who was drunk?

A DAUGHTER BEAT HER MOTHER BECAUSE SHE WAS DRUNK.

Hmmm,,,,,,A typical omo Naija would quickly giv answer to dis.
Truly, it's ambiguous.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by hillarioux: 12:22am On Jan 07, 2018
echelons:
Obviously the daughter.. Action and consequence.. Get drunk, get beaten.
better still get drunk and beat ur daughter because of ur poor judgement
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by seunfape(m): 12:30am On Jan 07, 2018
To me,drunk daughter deserve beating so the daughter is drunk automatically
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by fries07(m): 12:32am On Jan 07, 2018
The mother because of the word "was" I think
igraman:
Check this out.
Let's have your answer.
it has generated a lot of arguments here.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Adanne9110(f): 1:51am On Jan 07, 2018
BMCSlayer:
The mother.
Its like my dad slapped me because he was angry.
sorry dear not the same,,,,it's quite different,,,except u would say ' my dad slapped him because he was angry' "me" makes your example ist person while "he" makes it third person

1 Like

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Georgeisco2007: 3:24am On Jan 07, 2018
Flashh:
The drunker knows herself.

And the beater too
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by solbinho: 3:26am On Jan 07, 2018
The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by ajaniogun14: 4:29am On Jan 07, 2018
I know this is late but the answer is Mother...the verb drunk qualifies the action of the 'SHE' which also doubles as the pronoun for the main noun (Mother) at the beginning of the sentence(this is to avoid repeating Mother in the same sentence. The use of 'Daughter' was just to throw one off balance.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by stephinnoyewole(m): 4:46am On Jan 07, 2018
HeyCorleone:
Obviously it's the mother.

"a woman beat her daughter because she was drunk". Drunk qualifies the woman.
I think the drunk was complementing the object and not the subject, i.e. the daughter was drunk
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by klassykute(m): 4:53am On Jan 07, 2018
Flashh:
lol smart little thing.. to think u got away wit ur answer abi. Lol
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Olaone1: 5:01am On Jan 07, 2018
lol grin grin grin
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Silvano34: 5:17am On Jan 07, 2018
Analysis of the statement, "A mother beat her daughter because she was drunk."

1. The mother was drunk
2. The daughter was drunk

Who did the beaten ? The mother; she is the primary subject of the whole sentence.

Who was beaten ? The daughter ; the daughter is the object of the sentence.

Why was she beaten by her mother ? Because she was drunk

Why did the mother beat her? Because she, her daughter was drunk

This ambiguity could have been avoided if the statement had been put in this way, " A mother beat her daughter, because she, her daughter, was drunk."

I hope this helps?

1 Like

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by placeofallure(f): 5:24am On Jan 07, 2018
ExplicitContent:
Simple -The daughter was the one drunk.

In the sentence it says, 'beat her daughter because she was drunk' .

"because" serves as a conjunction between "daughter" which is a noun following over with the word "she which is an adverb all referring to the daughter..

So the person drunk was the daughter.

I pity y'all clicking like to support this post. Somebody just told you that the word 'she' is an adverb and you never thought to re-examine it in your heads. Of course 'she' is a pronoun just like He, Her, Him, I, We, Us, It, They, Them etc.

As regards the post: 'The mother beat her daughter because she was drunk '
Like BigBelleControl said earlier, 'because she was drunk' is an adverbial clause of reason showing why the daughter was beaten. But what the subordinate clause, which is an adverbial clause of reason didn't tell us is this:
Whether the woman beat the daughter out of her
own drunkenness. OR
Whether the daughter got beaten because she
was drunk.

Therefore, I rule that the sentence is ambiguous. That's why aspiring writers are advised against vague use of pronouns or any word for that matter for clarity purposes. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Obhiaba1on1: 5:39am On Jan 07, 2018
Flashh:

₩hat of the drunkee ?�
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by churchee: 6:13am On Jan 07, 2018
echelons:

Action and consequence; get drunk and get beaten. Hence, the daughter.

1 Like

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by churchee: 6:16am On Jan 07, 2018
Let me tell you'll. I warned the mother when she was younger to desist from drinking but she wouldn't listen, now there's a drunk and there's a beat. Whosoever that got drunk and whosoever that got beaten, all are the concerns of those involved.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by victorious2503(m): 6:30am On Jan 07, 2018
The noun closer/nearer to the verb is the performer of the action except when punctuations have been appropriately used.

The Daughter is therefore the answer in this case.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by meilleur: 6:31am On Jan 07, 2018
BMCSlayer:
The mother.
Its like my dad slapped me because he was angry.
this cant work... replace my with his and tell who was angry.....
his father slapped him cos he was angry
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Suuuru: 6:38am On Jan 07, 2018
daughter
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Psoul(m): 6:42am On Jan 07, 2018
It is called ambiguous statement. In law/court ambiguity is not allowed. Your statements should be very clear.
The statement has two meanings.
It could mean that the drunk mother beat her daughter.
It could also mean that the mother beat her daughter because the daughter got drunk.

We have so many of these ambiguous Caption here in Nairaland. A caption that may generate 2 meanings.

1 Like

Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Gwazah(m): 6:52am On Jan 07, 2018
BigBelleControl:
This is an adverbial clause of reason which modifies the verb drunk which is the reason for the action.

Therefore the daughter is the drunk one.
Your whole explanation is still referring to two of them which is the mother and the girl.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by godofuck231: 6:54am On Jan 07, 2018
igraman:
Check this out.
Let's have your answer.
in the said sentence the action is beating and the action being carried out by the mother which makes her the subject of the verb, this sentence is talking about the drunk mother and not her daughter, the rule of subject ,object and predicate wins in this argument .
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by krushdripper(m): 7:06am On Jan 07, 2018
Actually, it can be the mother or the daughter.
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by okonja(m): 7:10am On Jan 07, 2018
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Nobody: 7:12am On Jan 07, 2018
yea I agree with krushdripper,it could be either the mother or the dauggter
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by helphelp: 7:12am On Jan 07, 2018
igraman:
Check this out.
Let's have your answer.

That mother ...the word "was is directly attached to the mother.

" Because she got drunk" would have linked it to the daughter
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by Emmysky(m): 7:35am On Jan 07, 2018
Ambiguous sentences
Sentences that have more than one meaning

Well it's the mother that was drunk
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by farouk2much(m): 7:39am On Jan 07, 2018
Elesu:
I think it's the foolish daughter that drank till she became drunk.

Cc: Lalasticlala
but You Dnt Knw Or May Be The Doughter Na Small Baby,
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by farouk2much(m): 7:41am On Jan 07, 2018
echelons:
You Dnt Knw Or May_be The Doughter Na Small Baby,
Re: Test Your English Proficiency Here (picture) by BASHMAN1991(m): 7:53am On Jan 07, 2018
mother nani

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Friends Pour Water On Graduate And His Mother At UNILAG Convocation (Pics) / JAMB Abolishes UTME Cut-Off Marks / Some English Words With Nigerian Origin.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.