Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,938 members, 7,799,187 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:41 PM

How To Correctly Use The Word "BEAT" In A Sentence. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Correctly Use The Word "BEAT" In A Sentence. (979 Views)

Lagos Teacher Beats Student To Death For Not Answering Maths Question Correctly / How To Correctly Apply For A Canadian Visa From Nigeria For Studies / How To Correctly Use Who, Whom, Whose And Who's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Correctly Use The Word "BEAT" In A Sentence. by KingOfAmebo(m): 3:16am On Jan 07, 2018
Hello everyone, I came across a post on the frontage of Nairaland with the Title: "Test Your English Proficiency Here" you can read the post here
https://www.nairaland.com/4273829/test-english-proficiency-here-picture

In the post a question was asked:

A mother beat her daughter because she was drunk...

So,...who was drunk?

While majority of the comments on the post focused on getting the answer right, I think the question itself is out of order.

Firstly, we need to understand the meaning of the word beat.

beat/biːt/

verb

strike (a person or an animal) repeatedly and violently so as to hurt or injure them, typically with an implement such as a club or whip.

defeat (someone) in a game or other competitive situation.

succeed in getting somewhere ahead of (someone).

(of the heart) pulsate.

(of a bird) move (the wings) up and down.

stir (cooking ingredients) vigorously to make a smooth or frothy mixture.

leave.

sail into the wind, following a zigzag course with repeated tacking.

noun

a main accent or rhythmic unit in music or poetry.

the movement of a bird's wings.

an area allocated to a police officer and patrolled on foot.

a brief pause or moment of hesitation.

short for beatnik.

adjective

completely exhausted.

relating to the beat generation or its philosophy.

So, to correctly use the word in the context of that question, I would suggest the question should be:

Mother beat daughter because she was drunk...

So, who was drunk?

English scholars in the house should correct me if I am wrong.

Re: How To Correctly Use The Word "BEAT" In A Sentence. by MaconAwire(m): 5:07am On Jan 07, 2018
OH GEEZ!

IN SUMMARY PLS, ANYONE

wire was here!

(1) (Reply)

Shocking Pictures Of Dilapidated School In Essien Udim - Home Of Senator Akpabio / We Didn't Cancel The Released Results / A Photo Of A Handsome Nigeria Who Died Few Days To His Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.