Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,387 members, 7,800,787 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:44 AM

Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food (10639 Views)

Man Slumps And Dies By Roadside In Port Harcourt (Photos) / Lady Looking Drugged Found Lying By The Roadside In Lekki / Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by pol23: 7:56am On Jan 07, 2018
I Don fall victim once oo.
Food poisoning in Ekiti state.
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by ednut1(m): 7:56am On Jan 07, 2018
Hungrychicken:
We have a proverb in my place that says, ''GERMS NO DEY KILL AFRICAN MAN ''
naso, y life expectancy come low for africa den

2 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by tballeyy(m): 8:17am On Jan 07, 2018
pussyeater:
Mama Chinedu, Mama Ngozi, Mama Obiora. Hope say una dey hear grin
correct

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by tballeyy(m): 8:22am On Jan 07, 2018
Lascode:
They should do something about it as d health of Nigerians are at risk
this is nigeria nothing dey happen, we have D immune to contain it
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by psp2pc(m): 8:31am On Jan 07, 2018
HungerBAD:

Writes impeccably too.
NICE.
can I lodge at your munchy munchy.
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by psp2pc(m): 8:32am On Jan 07, 2018
psp2pc:

can I lodge at your munchy munchy.
@ sisisioge
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by sisisioge: 8:35am On Jan 07, 2018
psp2pc:

@ sisisioge

Show me your statistics first angry

Its a Sunday fa, I don't talk dirty on sabbath grin
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by Hungrychicken(m): 8:37am On Jan 07, 2018
ednut1:
naso, y life expectancy come low for africa den
guy na poverty and bad government cause am.

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by Ishilove: 8:41am On Jan 07, 2018
sisisioge:

Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by sisisioge: 8:46am On Jan 07, 2018
Ishilove:

My fellow choir member, I have sang him the gospel o grin. Howdy? I hope all is well in we and we Eden? Couldn't help the aproko this morning grin grin
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:27am On Jan 07, 2018
Lol funny how it's only the rich who eat in hygienic places that get really sick with all these "high end" diseases, upon all thier "hygiene". undecided The people eating road side food are not dead yet now are they?

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by Reference(m): 9:36am On Jan 07, 2018
So how you wan make chemist dey sell...
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by Nobody: 9:36am On Jan 07, 2018
Hungrychicken:
We have a proverb in my place that says, ''GERMS NO DEY KILL AFRICAN MAN ''

What kills African man is brief illness. And life expectancy is 50 or thereabouts.
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by Nobody: 9:39am On Jan 07, 2018
JeffreyJamez:
Lol funny how it's only the rich who eat in hygienic places that get really sick with all these "high end" diseases, upon all thier "hygiene". undecided The people eating road side food are not dead yet now are they?

The poor get afflicted as well. They say na from village. They go to pastor, or road side chemist. Where do you think some of these bizarre skin cases you see on fp come from?

You know where the word typhoid comes from. Typhoid Mary, a woman running a dirty mama put in medevial England. Almost all her customers died, but the woman's body was tough. It's the same thing playing out in Nigeria. Ponder on that fact.

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:42am On Jan 07, 2018
oyb:

The poor get afflicted as well. They say na from village. They go to pastor, or road side chemist. Where do you think some of these bizarre skin cases you see on fp come from?

You know where the word typhoid comes from. Typhoid Mary, a woman running a dirty mama put in medevial England. Almost all her customers died, but the woman's body was tough. It's the same thing playing out in Nigeria. Ponder on that fact.

Hmmm..... pondering.... realising.....accepting.

You're right.

But..rich people that don't eat roadside food get sick too I'm just saying.
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by Maj196(m): 9:42am On Jan 07, 2018
Poor man immune system strong pass rich man own if poor man chop for road side notin go do am if rich man try am na sickness.
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by MrRichy(m): 10:00am On Jan 07, 2018
GREATESTPIANIST:
na when u catch infection in d long run, your eye go open....keep flexing
bro... I've got very strong antibodies..
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by Nobody: 10:11am On Jan 07, 2018
open roadside meals or fries do twist-tight my intestines then put me in an uncomfortable state
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by dingbang(m): 12:02pm On Jan 07, 2018
our girlfriends dont know how to cook good food, so we decided to be patronizing road size food sellers. cheesy
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by HungerBAD: 12:12pm On Jan 07, 2018
sisisioge:

I no be MUGU but what is Munchy Munchy again?Google is not explaining anything.
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jan 07, 2018
HungerBAD:

I no be MUGU but what is Munchy Munchy again?Google is not explaining anything.

rugmuncher?

Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by HungerBAD: 12:26pm On Jan 07, 2018
oyb:

rugmuncher?

If that's what I am assuming it is.

This guy with moniker psp2pc wanting to lodge at my munchy is crazy.
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by Hungrychicken(m): 12:36pm On Jan 07, 2018
oyb:

What kills African man is brief illness. And life expectancy is 50 or thereabouts.
my grandfather is still alive and very healthy, he's more than 150. Only people with poverty die at 50.
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by okerekeikpo: 1:04pm On Jan 07, 2018
Don't spoil market for people o
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jan 07, 2018
Hungrychicken:

my grandfather is still alive and very healthy, he's more than 150. Only people with poverty die at 50.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_verified_oldest_men

This is a list of the 100 verified oldest men, arranged in descending order of each individual's age in years and days. A year typically refers to a calendar year, the time between two dates of the same name. However, years can be of different lengths due to the presence or absence of a leap day within the year, or to the conversion of dates from one calendar to another. The oldest man ever whose age has been verified is Jiroemon Kimura (1897–2013) of Japan who died at age 116 years, 54 days. There are six living people on this list, the oldest of whom is Spaniard Francisco Núñez Olivera, aged 113 years, 25 days.

Since all the men on this list have lived to at least the age of 110, all of them are supercentenarians.

AWESOME!! please go straight to Guinness so they can put him in their book of records tongue tongue tongue
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by GREATESTPIANIST: 1:32pm On Jan 07, 2018
MrRichy:

and so Anyway, always make sure what you eat out is clean.....happy Sunday grin
MrRichy:

and so Anyway, always make sure what you eat out is clean.....happy Sunday
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by Hungrychicken(m): 2:10pm On Jan 07, 2018
oyb:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_verified_oldest_men

AWESOME!! please go straight to Guinness so they can put him in their book of records tongue tongue tongue
What about your own grandfather, how old?
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by akigbemaru: 2:58pm On Jan 07, 2018
HungerBAD:
By Geraldine Akutu and Ijeoma Thomas Odia

In the past, roadside food vendors were mandated by relevant agencies to either cover their stuff with transparent polythene, or display such in show glasses. In addition, food items must be sold in a hygienic environment, with the vendor also clean and well presented. All this was to prevent contamination and spread of germs and diseases.

Nowadays, however, the very opposite is what obtains, as food vendors do their business anywhere and anyhow. They no longer bother to cover food items, just as they sell right beside dirty gutters and refuse dumps. It is not uncommon to see flies perching on displayed roadside food items, just as passing vehicles ‘garnish’ them with dust and smoke from exhaust fumes. Nobody seems to be doing anything to check the situation.

Ope Osibogun, a medical epidemiologist, said due to the unprecedented urban growth, Nigeria has seen a rise in street vendors, which has led to the demand for ready-made and “fast” food items by some citizens, who are having to cope with tight schedules.

In the past, roadside food vendors were mandated by relevant agencies to either cover their stuff with transparent polythene, or display such in show glasses. In addition, food items must be sold in a hygienic environment, with the vendor also clean and well presented. All this was to prevent contamination and spread of germs and diseases.

Nowadays, however, the very opposite is what obtains, as food vendors do their business anywhere and anyhow. They no longer bother to cover food items, just as they sell right beside dirty gutters and refuse dumps. It is not uncommon to see flies perching on displayed roadside food items, just as passing vehicles ‘garnish’ them with dust and smoke from exhaust fumes. Nobody seems to be doing anything to check the situation.

Ope Osibogun, a medical epidemiologist, said due to the unprecedented urban growth, Nigeria has seen a rise in street vendors, which has led to the demand for ready-made and “fast” food items by some citizens, who are having to cope with tight schedules.

“Another disease that can be contacted is typhoid fever, which is prevalent in our environment. Studies have shown that most cases of typhoid can be prevented, if hygiene is given premium attention. This brings us to the issue of how hygienic are these foods prepared, and as they sell on the streets, what measures are the vendors taking to protect these foods?

“Roadside foods are exposed to flies, dust, as most people eat by the roadside after purchasing these foods.

“We also look at the source of water used in preparing these foods. Because there is lack of water, people look for water from various means and this leads to illness. However, some people develop allergies after taking some foods, which can come in the form of such reactions as skin rashes, patches all over the body, and cases of asthma, all of which have been linked to exposure to unhygienic foods.

“We also have rising cases of cancer. Such foods as roasted are corn, yam and barbecue (suya), most of which are prepared by the use of charcoal, are said to be carcinogenic. These are some of the foods that increase free radicals and help cancer to thrive, and when one allows such to continue piling up in the system, they causes cancer in the long run.

“When we look at food-borne diseases, there are viruses, organisms and bacteria that can be on these foods, depending on the way they are presented and prepared. Rotavirus is associated with some of the cases of such air borne diseases as common cold, cough, and catarrh, lower and upper respiratory organs. There is also the risk of having abdominal pains and cramps. The issue of food poisoning is also very common. So, it is important to consider the health risk before patronising these roadside vendors.”

Nwachukwu said it is important that government embarks on sensitisation programmes, to enlighten citizen, on the risk of roadside foods, as well as ensure that adequate measures are taken to improve the environment where roadside foods are prepared. The vendors should be mandated to use clean water and sell in healthy environment. With this, illnesses and needless deaths will be reduced.

A reliable source at the Mosan Okunola Local Council Development Area said the environmental unit of the council has food and beverage section charged with the responsibility of ensuring hygienic conditions within the locality. The source revealed that more enforcement needs to be done, as such acts are still rampant due to lack of alternatives for this segment in the society.

“I believe that to rid the society of such, alternatives should be provided as well as enforcement which the local government will be working on.”

Another source from the government-owned hospitals in the state said, “it is very obvious that uncovered foods pose a threat to the health and well being of people especially children and that is why at every time, we engage our patients and lecture them on the ills of consuming these foods.”

http://guardian.ng/sunday-magazine/dangers-of-uncovered-roadside-food/

Lalasticlacla Mynd44
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by psp2pc(m): 4:22pm On Jan 07, 2018
sisisioge:

don't worry bout my stats... have a lovely sabbath day, hopefully u keep it holy.
Re: Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food by mecussey(m): 4:40pm On Jan 07, 2018
prodiG:
Some even sell food near refuse dumps,Smelly gutters embarassed Na God go save person for this country sad

If you dey lagos you no get choice na unless, you be bigman. Me i dey chop on top the gutter wey dirty water full inside. The main thing na make food enter bele. Thank God for changes in life sha.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Treat Staphlococus Infection / 35 Doctors Contract COVID-19 In Kwara – NMA / Osun Doctors Protest 3rd Time In 2 Months Over 22 Months Salary Arrears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.