Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,834 members, 7,806,348 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

What To Do With A Degree In English Language - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What To Do With A Degree In English Language (26917 Views)

Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up / A Job In A Multinational Company Or A Masters Degree In France / Can I Still Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree In Accounting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do With A Degree In English Language by HushTee(m): 6:37am On Jan 07, 2018
An English language degree is constructed to push you to analyze theories, read books, critique verse and prose and take a more detailed look at the words and signs surrounding us daily. The goal is to make you as an English Language student think analytically and creatively about the English language.
If you are about studying for a degree in English language, and are skeptical about it? Or you already have a BA in English and you're not sure of what your next career step should be ? Here are some ideas on what to do with a degree in English Language

First …Why study English? The following are some of the reasons why you should study English
More employment opportunities: Your employment and career prospects can exponentially increase. Individuals who have the capacity to efficiently speak English language alongside another the English are in high demand and are always sought after by organizations of various kinds including international organizations. When in search of a job, the ability to speak with precision and confidence as using the English language can give you an edge against others.
Transferable Skills: The transferable skills of the English language degree are very high in demand. Some of these skills have to do with communication, getting information, writing ability among a host of other
Combined Courses: English departments provide some double honor degrees which means that you would have the capacity to merge a linguistic or literary education alongside any passion you might have.
Versatility: When it has to do with matters of trade or business, the common currency happens to be English. By attaining a degree in English, you would have the ability to carry out business transactions as well as effectively write reports, agreements, and memos. It also provides the possibility of having a career in business if you desire.

What to do with a degree in English Language
Graduates of English language always find lots of opportunities with a host of employers, OR You could also choose to be self-employed, building your business/company’s services around what these organizations offer. They include private and public sector organizations, legal and financial firms, educational institutions, national and local government, charitable and voluntary organizations, media organizations, public relation agencies, publishing companies, tourism agencies, and leisure agencies always provide employment for graduates of English language.
The following are some opportunities available for English language students
1. Job Opportunities
a. Magazine journalist
b. English as a foreign language teacher
c. Digital copywriter
d. Web content manager
e. Writer
f. Newspaper journalist
g. Publishing copy-editor/proofreader
h. Advertising account executive
i. Lexicographer
j. Arts administrator
k. Advertising account executive
l. Academic librarian
m. Information officer
n. Advertising copywriter
o. General Manager
p. Researcher
2. Internship Opportunities: The above listed job opportunities are also usually available for interns. While they may not be a satisfactorily paying position, they are perfect to start building your career and gaining work experience before you graduate
3. Further Study: You can also choose to further your studies by going for your masters degree in study areas related to English Language, particularly in the Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, and Management Sciences.

Tips for your CV
Work Experience: Because English is a course which is not vocational, the skills attained outside your study are crucial in creating a CV that is well rounded. For example, while in the university a lot of English students will write for magazines and newspapers for students, volunteer in local schools or communities or get involved with student film societies. Any evidence of skills attained from extracurricular activities can aid in enhancing your prospects for a job.
Needed Skills/Proficiencies: The main strength possessed by graduates in English language is the capacity to efficiently communicate both in writing and orally. Having a degree in English language however aids in the development of the following:
a. Ability to research effectively
b. Organization and time management
c. Teamwork and negotiating to present information and ideas
d. Participating and leading discussions
e. Articulation understanding and knowledge of texts, theories and concepts
f. Efficiently passing across opinions and ideas as well as thinking creatively.
g. Critical analysis and reasoning
h. Utilizing your judgement in determining other perspectives

Conclusion
Graduates of English have a diverse range of career choices and will gain the skills required to function in almost any kind of industry making a degree in English very useful. Now you have some ideas on what to do with a degree in English Language, right?

In the comments section below, please let's know about your ideas on what you think an English Language Student can do with a his/her degree. I look forward to hearing from you

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by marooh: 7:14am On Jan 07, 2018
Thank God say u knew d answer if not, I for tell u to start molua preaching grin

2 Likes

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by hoygift(m): 7:25am On Jan 07, 2018
WHAT TO DO WITH A DEGREE IN ENGLISH

1. Get a job in a secondary school

2. Lash any student that can't speak good English

3. Buy an English Text Book @500 naira and sell @750 naira

4. Lash any student that doesn't want to buy the Text

5. Always look good in school

6. Lash any student that doesn't look good to assembly

7. Speak wrong English

8. Lash all the students that laughed grin grin

FINALLY ENGLISH TEACHERS ME THE FEAR THEM, THEN FOR SCHOOL...

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by TheHotspur(m): 7:26am On Jan 07, 2018
grin
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by ookesanjo(m): 7:26am On Jan 07, 2018
Its good..
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Nobody: 7:26am On Jan 07, 2018
Lecturing sure pass

5 Likes

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Nutase: 7:28am On Jan 07, 2018
Tear it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Adonike(m): 7:28am On Jan 07, 2018
Nice Job Op..

English Language as a career path is not a bad choice at all especially for those with dream of becoming teachers.

Where the challenge lies is when one decides to rely on the many quack higher institutions of learning here in the country for the degree. Having visited many campuses in the country, I discovered that many of the lecturers do not flow well in the language, and would rather depend heavily in the native language when delivering lectures.

I will advise any serious minded student who will want to carve a niche for himself/herself in the English career path to look to the way of ANAMBRA STATE UNIVERSITY (now Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University) for it.

The department of English of that school rocks!!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by GREATESTPIANIST: 7:28am On Jan 07, 2018
My Declarations
(Pls personalize it)

.......This year go betta for us all, i refuse to be
depressed, lazy towards my dreams, allow
negative thoughts into my life!!! I will work
smart, diligently and optimistic in my pursuit
of my goals......This year will be good for me
and other nairalanders.....i wnt cry this year, it
will be rejoicing!!! Those that want ny downfall
will collapse into their graves.....yes!! i made
some mistakes in the past, but its past, and its
gone, i am highly optimistic that my present
and future will be better and filled with
surprises!!! i will not give up on my
dreams.....things will work well for me......i
refuse to move with the wrong company!!! its
time to take that daring step!!!! i will make it in
life, Village or no village people, wahala ti won
ni yen, mo ma ye ge!!!!!

#IWILLMAKEIT

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by edoman2016: 7:28am On Jan 07, 2018
May God help Nigerian graduates from courses such as English language, philosophy, archaeology, sociology, and so on. Those courses are theoretical and useless in this modern world of skill acquisition.

12 Likes

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Funjosh(m): 7:29am On Jan 07, 2018
Me : am studying English Language

My friends : you want to be a teacher

6 Likes

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by BruncleZuma: 7:30am On Jan 07, 2018
Join the Police or a PR Firm

2 Likes

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by vioment: 7:30am On Jan 07, 2018
Just don't cause people pain with your English like this guy below due to being incoherent and don't hide behind it's not my mother tongue but can't even read and write your mother tongue thoroughly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1HwaUkl_uw
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by akinlaso(m): 7:31am On Jan 07, 2018
undecidedOP studies English so he's tryna make himself happy..... like any job opportunities are certain after graduation

2 Likes

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by FrenchWay: 7:31am On Jan 07, 2018
edoman2016:
May God help Nigerian graduates from courses such as English language, philosophy, archaeology, sociology, and so on. Those courses are theoretical and useless in this modern world of skill acquisition.
You are not God.

Someone that studied nairaland in the university can still be successful in life.
Destinies and stars matter, not courses.
Good morning!

8 Likes

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by zicoraads: 7:33am On Jan 07, 2018
Funjosh:
Me : am studying English Language

My friends : you want to be a teacher
Yea, you can also teach. I'm surprised he didn't include that there. Teach and take extra lessons as well. Teachers of English Language are always in high demand. Especially if you are very good at it.

And oh, not just any school or some of these mushroom schools.

Some now earn as close to 150K and even much more every month with a degree in English Language wink

6 Likes

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by idu1(m): 7:33am On Jan 07, 2018
You can start coding grin

1 Like

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Nobody: 7:35am On Jan 07, 2018
To me no reason at all, you go go school waste 4 years dey study person ancestor language even your own language you no sabi am well.
Jamb fit follow configure law aspirant to languages.
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by zicoraads: 7:36am On Jan 07, 2018
edoman2016:
English Language is theoretical? shocked cheesy

3 Likes

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by purem(m): 7:37am On Jan 07, 2018
I will have to do this since you've done yours

Plz don't be offended if it ever in any way arrass or assaults you, Just know that I don't have any choice but to show you how much I love been myself coz you will never know how it's feels like to actually have some previledges to be in a position you've always wanted to be, as in the type of advantages you never expected to come your way, and to be honest with you I don't even know what am talking about sef, like I've apologized earlier, am so sorry again to be wasting your time.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Nobody: 7:37am On Jan 07, 2018
okay. smiley
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by pol23: 7:42am On Jan 07, 2018
The truth shouldn't be so hard.
TEACHER.
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by saraki2019(m): 7:42am On Jan 07, 2018
become a nairaland super moderator

3 Likes

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by eightsin(m): 7:43am On Jan 07, 2018
i studied English and i work as an administrative officer. I hope to do my masters soon and move on to greater things.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by richfriendsng: 7:43am On Jan 07, 2018
Any English language student or graduate in the house, pls help a brother, what should I lookout for as a student who just got newly admitted in the department, what are your piece of advice for me, I want to excel in that field. 100level right now

List of beautiful blog sites at a giveaway price, grab one like a boss ,
Check them out yourself

3 6 0 c l a s s g i s t . g a

And

3 6 0 g i s t 4 u . g a

price lil bit negotiable

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by seguno2: 7:50am On Jan 07, 2018
Tear it up and scatter the pieces in the air.
What a question after four academic sessions?
What did you do with all your time in school?
Anyway, you can try doing translation of vernacular Nollywood films for free and editing scripts, newspapers, magazines etc until they see your indispensability and ask to pay for your expert service in order not to lose you to their competition.
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Nobody: 7:53am On Jan 07, 2018
Interesting

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Graduate Without A Job? How To Create A Job From Home (secrets) / NLNG Online Assessment Test Invite 2023. / My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.