Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! (744 Views)

Is Going To Church A Guarantee Of Making Heaven? / Things That Religious Or Church People Do To Medical Doctors . / Is The Deeper Life Bible Church A Cult ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! by oteneaaron(m): 7:52am On Jan 07, 2018
Religion has the power to manipulate humans to believe unrealistic doctrine and engage in destructive behaviour. Examples are:

- Members of suicide cults and suicide bombers that sacrifice their own life and kill innocent members of the public.

- Parents that allow their child to die refusing medical treatments.

- Mothers and fathers that are instructed to shun their own children, or children that shun their parents and siblings for life, due to a difference of opinion over religion or morals.

Coercive persuasion is the academic term for mind control or brainwashing.

I am going to list the 8 points that Prove whether or not religion or organisation is a cult, originally listed by Robert Lifton (1950) and summarized by Dr. Margaret singer.

Use your Power of reasoning, and discern if you've been in a cult all along and have been under some shitt-y mind control. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Point 1.
Environment Control.: Limitation of many/all forms of communication with those outside the group. Books, magazines, letters and visits with friends and family are taboo. "Come out and be separate!"

Point 2.
Mystical Manipulation.: The potential convert to the group becomes convinced of the higher purpose and special calling of the group through a profound encounter / experience, for example, through an alleged miracle or prophetic word of those in the group.

Point 3.
Demand for Purity.: An explicit goal of the group is to bring about some kind of change, whether it be on a global, social, or personal level. "Perfection is possible if one stays with the group and is committed."

Point 4.
Cult of Confession.: The unhealthy practice of self disclosure to members in the group. Often in the context of a public gathering in the group, admitting past sins and imperfections, even doubts about the group and critical thoughts about the integrity of the leaders.

Point 5.
Sacred Science.: The group's perspective is absolutely true and completely adequate to explain EVERYTHING. The doctrine is not subject to amendments or question. ABSOLUTE conformity to the doctrine is required.

Point 6.
Loaded Language.: A new vocabulary emerges within the context of the group. Group members "think" within the very abstract and narrow parameters of the group's doctrine. The terminology sufficiently stops members from thinking critically by reinforcing a "black and white" mentality. Loaded terms and clichés prejudice thinking.

Point 7.
Doctrine over Person. Pre-group experience and group experience are narrowly and decisively interpreted through the absolute doctrine, even when experience contradicts the doctrine

Point 8.
Dispensing of Existence.: Salvation is possible only in the group. Those who leave the group are doomed.

The passion for freedom of the mind is strong and everlasting, which is fortunate, because so is the passion to squelch it. - AM Rosenthal, New York Times

Peace!!

Source: https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/fear-cult-mind-control.php
Re: Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! by koolaid87: 7:55am On Jan 07, 2018
Nah, my church ain't a cult but they love tithe n offering
Re: Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! by hopefulLandlord: 7:59am On Jan 07, 2018
All religions are technically cults

3 Likes

Re: Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! by adepeter2027(m): 8:01am On Jan 07, 2018
Lemme park here. Fuel about to finish
Re: Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! by bedspread: 8:01am On Jan 07, 2018
JW I know only GOD can convince you guys....
My Prayer is that GOD ALMIGHTY appears and Deliver you all Worldwide before the Rapture...
Re: Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! by oteneaaron(m): 8:08am On Jan 07, 2018
bedspread:
JW I know only GOD can convince you guys....
My Prayer is that GOD ALMIGHTY appears and Deliver you all Worldwide before the Rapture...

Not just JW, there is a strand of Mind Control and subtle Cult related actions in EVERY religion on earth right now. You think you're safe where you at? Look again bruh!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! by bedspread: 8:15am On Jan 07, 2018
oteneaaron:

Not just JW, there is a strand of Mind Control and subtle Cult related actions in EVERY religion on earth right now. You think you're safe where you at? Look again bruh!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
if u see u in anything that tends to lead u out of THE HOLY BIBLE, take off...

The first duty of the Church is to minister the Gospel of Salvation Through JESUS CHRIST.... Thereby Preparing people for the Rapture.any other way of Salvation is False.

That's the Foundation of a True Church..

If you Find out your Church/religion cannot change you, Then Change your Church/Religion
Re: Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! by internationalman(m): 8:35am On Jan 07, 2018
I gave up on going to church the day I saw my former pastor on dreadlocks.
Re: Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! by hisgrace090: 8:39am On Jan 07, 2018
Ask for Gods mercy and grace daily.
Re: Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! by BlackDBagba: 8:53am On Jan 07, 2018
OK
Re: Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! by TheNobleProphet: 9:19am On Jan 07, 2018
First of all, it is good to stress the point that "religion is a man-made institution" formed by some persons at that time solely to keep themselves in positions of authority as well as to remain relevant in the scheme of things here on Earth!

All the Prophets and Truth Bringers sent from GOD ALMIGHTY "never" established any religion! It was man that established religion and this has caused so much problem to the World we live in today!

Man should become "spiritual" again by doing away with religion completely and this can only be achieved by "genuinely" following the "true teachings" of CHRIST JESUS our MESSIAH!

Shalom!
Re: Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jan 07, 2018
space booked will return when it gets to FP
Re: Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! by Ayo081(m): 8:38am On Jan 24, 2022
space booked will return when it gets to FP

It's 2022 and it didn't undecided
Re: Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! by oteneaaron(m): 8:45am On Jan 24, 2022
Ayo081:

It's 2022 and it didn't undecided

Hahahahaha

That is the Nairaland Algorithm for you.
Re: Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! by Ayo081(m): 8:54am On Jan 24, 2022
oteneaaron:

Hahahahaha

That is the Nairaland Algorithm for you.

I don't think it's algo.

I've observed mods push to FP based on how catchy the topic is, the number of views and comments in it's first few hours and the situation of the country.

Moreso, a religious (Christian) thread don't usually make FP even on a Sunday except it's 'controversial'.
Re: Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! by oteneaaron(m): 9:01am On Jan 24, 2022
Ayo081:

I don't think it's algo.

I've observed mods push to FP based on how catchy the topic is, the number of views and comments in it's first few hours and the situation of the country.

Moreso, a religious (Christian) thread don't usually make FP even on a Sunday except it's 'controversial'.

Your observation is apt!

I agree with you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Is Leading The 2018 Holy Land Tour / Colonial Mentality / Is There Any Thing Wrong With What Pastor Told Us This Morning In Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.