Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,839 members, 7,802,689 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:56 PM

The Niger Delta Question And Its Population - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Niger Delta Question And Its Population (866 Views)

JUST IN: Despite Its Population Concerns, ICFP 2018 Opens In Kigali Without Nige / Schlumberger Internship/industrial Training Past Question And Answers / Practice Post UTME Past Question And Answers For Universities And Polytechnics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Niger Delta Question And Its Population by Afriifa(m): 1:21pm On Jan 07, 2018
I have been hearing tales from different Ethnic Groups in the South-South geopolitical zone of Nigeria (Preferably the Niger Delta) each claiming to be the largest ethnic group in the region, with recently, the Ishekiris attacking the Ijaw nation concerning their status in the region.

As someone who loves knowledge and all the benefits it brings.
I have tasked my self today to.

"What Ethnic Group Constitutes the Largest In The Niger Delta?"

notes: the floor is open for arguments and counter arguments with facts..

cc: Lalasticlala : Mynd44 : TonyeBacarnista. Adafonju.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Niger Delta Question And Its Population by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jan 07, 2018
I lack answers to this

1 Like

Re: The Niger Delta Question And Its Population by Afriifa(m): 1:27pm On Jan 07, 2018
OceanmorganTrix:
I lack answers to this
i am also confused. so I want to know today.
Re: The Niger Delta Question And Its Population by AdaFonju: 1:31pm On Jan 07, 2018
Assumptions or positions can't be made without being able to site adequate references from sources that have the capacity to determine the population figure

South south state
Akwa-Ibom

Cross rivers

Edo state

Delta

Rivers state

Bayelsa state

Source:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ni.html

Population:
note: estimates for this country explicitly take into account the effects of excess mortality due to AIDS; this can result in lower life expectancy, higher infant mortality, higher death rates, lower population growth rates, and changes in the distribution of population by age and sex than would otherwise be expected (July 2017 est.)
country comparison to the world: 7
Nationality:
noun: Nigerian(s)
adjective: Nigerian
Ethnic groups:
Nigeria, Africa's most populous country, is composed of more than 250 ethnic groups; the most populous and politically influential are: Hausa and the Fulani 29%, Yoruba 21%, Igbo (Ibo) 18%, Ijaw 10%, Kanuri 4%, Ibibio 3.5%, Tiv 2.5%

1 Like

Re: The Niger Delta Question And Its Population by Eggcelent(m): 1:45pm On Jan 07, 2018
Given Their Spread, I Will Go With The Izons (Ijaw)

Bayelsa Is Over 90% Ijaw.

Similarly, The Kalabaris, Okrikans & Bonny People Of Rivers State Are Ijaws

They Are In Ondo, Delta & Edo States Too.

If The Various Subgroups In Calabar Will Agree To Come Under One Umbrella, Then I Will Have They Have Second Largest Population

Please, Above Is My Humble Opinion, Though Without Any Statistical Backing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Niger Delta Question And Its Population by Afriifa(m): 1:51pm On Jan 07, 2018
Eggcelent:
Given Their Spread, I Will Go With The Izons (Ijaw)

Bayelsa Is Over 90% Ijaw.

Similarly, The Kalabaris, Okrikans & Bonny People Of Rivers State Are Ijaws

They Are In Ondo, Delta & Edo States Too.

If The Various Subgroups In Calabar Will Agree To Come Under One Umbrella, Then I Will Have They Have Second Largest Population

Please, Above Is My Humble Opinion, Though Without Any Statistical Backing
In as much as i would love to support your claims, I will still render your opinion baseless because you lack data to validate your opinion. thanks though
Re: The Niger Delta Question And Its Population by Eggcelent(m): 2:13pm On Jan 07, 2018
Afriifa:
In as much as i would love to support your claims, I will still render your opinion useless because you lack data to validate your opinion. thanks though

"Useless" Is Rather A Strong & Inappropriate Word To Use In Qualifying A Non-abusive Comment Made On Your Post

It May Discourage Others From Potentially Contributing

You May Wish To Modify The Response In Question. Thanks
Re: The Niger Delta Question And Its Population by Afriifa(m): 2:14pm On Jan 07, 2018
AdaFonju:
Assumptions or positions can't be made without being able to site adequate references from sources that have the capacity to determine the population figure

South south state
Akwa-Ibom

Cross rivers

Edo state

Delta

Rivers state

Bayelsa state

Source:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ni.html

Population:
note: estimates for this country explicitly take into account the effects of excess mortality due to AIDS; this can result in lower life expectancy, higher infant mortality, higher death rates, lower population growth rates, and changes in the distribution of population by age and sex than would otherwise be expected (July 2017 est.)
country comparison to the world: 7
Nationality:
noun: Nigerian(s)
adjective: Nigerian
Ethnic groups:
Nigeria, Africa's most populous country, is composed of more than 250 ethnic groups; the most populous and politically influential are: Hausa and the Fulani 29%, Yoruba 21%, Igbo (Ibo) 18%, Ijaw 10%, Kanuri 4%, Ibibio 3.5%, Tiv 2.5%

statistically the Ijaws occupies only the Niger Delta
Re: The Niger Delta Question And Its Population by Afriifa(m): 2:20pm On Jan 07, 2018
Eggcelent:

"Useless" Is Rather A Strong & Inappropriate Word To Use In Qualifying A Non-abusive Comment Made On Your Post

It May Discourage Others From Potentially Contributing

You May Wish To Modify The Response In Question. Thanks
I apologize for using a word like like that to portray your views.
Re: The Niger Delta Question And Its Population by Afriifa(m): 2:47pm On Jan 07, 2018
mynd44 biko people need to be enlightened. come and move dis thread to d promise land. today is the first Sunday of the Year. no turn down request.
Re: The Niger Delta Question And Its Population by AdaFonju: 3:17pm On Jan 07, 2018
Afriifa:
statistically the Ijaws occupies only the Niger Delta
Ijaws can be found outside Nigeria as far as sierra leone, there were even Ijaw speaking people of the carribean who might have gotten there during the slave trade

1 Like

Re: The Niger Delta Question And Its Population by Afriifa(m): 3:22pm On Jan 07, 2018
AdaFonju:

Ijaws can be found outside Nigeria as far as sierra leone, there were even Ijaw speaking people of the carribean who might have gotten there during the slave trade
yeah. i heard dat too.. even in ghana too

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

See Pictures Of The Youngest And Rightful King Of Umuebulu In Etche / Married Woman Video Her unclothedness Mistakenly Send It An Unknown Person / Build Muscle On A Budget: The 10 Cheapest Sources Of Protein

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.