Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,424 members, 7,800,898 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:45 AM

Dear God, Why... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Dear God, Why... (4183 Views)

If Allah Is God, Why Does He Pray For Muhammad? Surah 33:43, 33:56, And 2:157? / If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? / Have You Ever Asked God, "Why Is My Own Case Different?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear God, Why... by AntiNormal(m): 3:34pm On Jan 07, 2018
The praise session in church today was led by a tall, slim woman who spent more time dancing than she did singing. The talking drummers kept the groove spicy with amazing rolls to make up for the drummer, who wasn't very good.
After the praise, there was a Bible reading. The pastor that led it read the scripture haltingly, like he was translating the words from Aramaic. A pastor substituted him and read the announcements like he was reading the news. After him, a new pastor came up and called out a list of names of people that had testimonies to share. A young man thanked God because he had finally received his visa. Another one was grateful to God because he rounded up his youth service in the North without any incident. A heavy set man rumbled about how the Lord saved his business from armed robbers and gave him a bountiful contract in the space of two days.
The last testifier was a woman. She was accompanied by her husband, and was carrying a baby in her arms. The couple were dressed to match. The man took the microphone from the pastor and began their account.
It wasn't necessarily a new story, but there was something in his voice, something in the way he was speaking that captivated the entire congregation. Halfway through the story, his wife started to cry. He paused, pulled out a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to her. By the time he was done, most of the congregation were on their feet and waving their hands to the glory of the Lord. The man took the baby from his wife and raised him up to the Lord - like Rafiki did with Simba in the Lion King - while his wife knelt and pressed her forehead to the floor.
The woman's wrapper unraveled as she got up, but she pulled it back in place and readjusted it with practiced ease.
The pastor took his mic back and asked the congregation to give glory to God, because He's worthy of it. No one else could have done this.
Give Him glory. Give Him glory.

This is the man's story.

He and his wife have been trying to have a child for 20 years. They went for countless scans and tests and spent a ridiculous amount of money trying to solve their problem. His mother wouldn't let his wife have any peace because she hadn't produced a child and was constantly going on about how he should be thinking of marrying a new, much more fertile wife. It didn't help that his junior brothers all had multiple children with their spouses while he - the first born son - had none. His friends gave unsolicited advice and tips, and many young girls began to push themselves in his direction, hoping to become the new Mrs. It got worse when his maid tried to seduce him, and when he resisted, she told him that she could give him the child he was looking for.
He fired her and got a less ambitious maid, but he couldn't shake the effects of that encounter. He couldn't help but feel like a failure. His spiritual life suffered and it became hard to focus on his business. The mental strain was too much, and he almost broke.
But... In the end, God did it for him, and gave him the long awaited child. After twenty long years of waiting, and doubting and worrying and overthinking, God finally did it.
The man was in tears by the time he was done, and there was a new air in the church, a new mood set by what we'd just heard.

But you want to hear something strange?
After hearing the man's story, I had questions, a ton of them, and most of them began with why.
Why did God make him wait 20 years?
It is well known that God's time is the best, but still I couldn't help but wonder why He didn't just give the man a child. It wouldn't have taken anything out of Him to make the woman's womb quicken for her husband. So why didn't He?
Why wait 20 years?
And let's not forget the maid. Imagine if the man had fallen for her wiles.
What then?
According to the doctrine of Christianity, he would have committed adultery and would have gone to hell for it.
Now imagine that the man had fallen into temptation. He would have sinned and won himself a spot in hell, eternally being punished for something that God could have prevented.

Now. I know what you're going to say. You're going to throw the freewill argument, that God let's us do what we want and choose because He doesn't want to coerce us or make us do anything. He wants us to make our own choices and follow our paths.
That's nice and everything, but think about this. God is our heavenly father, right? And according to the laws of nature, every parent is supposed to look out for the wellbeing of their offspring at all times, even if it means taking away their free will.
What do I mean?
Crocodile mothers let their hatchlings roam free while they snooze, but they keep an eye open to watch for danger. If they see something they don't like, they hurry and carry their babies in their mouths and keep them in there until the danger has passed. Lions - and all the big cats really - do the same thing with their cubs (they carry them by the scruffs of their necks and keep them close by until it's safe again).
Let's make it a human example now.
You have a faulty iron in your house that shocks whoever touches it anyhow. You have a three year old baby boy that bounces around, like he's high on sugar, and plays with everything he sees. You're ironing your clothes, and you get a call. You leave to take your call. When you come back, you see your boy about to touch the iron. The law of nature and your instincts demand that you stop him.
Why?
Because if you don't, he'll hurt himself and you don't want that.
Now if he insists, you'll probably smack him a couple of times and deliver a more stern warning. If after a month of stern warnings and smacking, he still wants to play with fire (figuratively), you'll probably be tempted to let him get shocked once, so he can learn his lesson.
This doesn't make you a bad parent, because you're doing what's best for him in the long run. If he gets shocked, he'll learn not to play with faulty irons.
There's a rationale for your letting him feel this pain, so you let him go right ahead.
The day of reckoning comes, and sure as hell, your little one is circling the iron and eyeing it. You find a spot and hide, watching to see what he'll do. He looks around to see if he's alone, and you smile to yourself.
Here we go, you think. He's going to do it.
You're right. He touches it and yelps. You come out of your hiding spot and ask him what happened. When he tells you, you scold the iron for daring to hurt your baby and give the baby in question a treat. Then you take him to the living room to watch Power Rangers Samurai.
Lesson learned.
He's never going to do it again, unless he's really into electricity, and you've done your job as a parent.
It's not the same with God and that man with the testimony.
First, by not giving him the child, He's left the man wide open to the temptation of his maid, and pressure from his mother and friends. And that's before mentioning the depression and anxiety he experienced due to the situation. Every single bad thing that could have happened could have been avoided if the man had gotten his child.
But nothing bad happened, you argue, and now he's stronger in faith.
But what if it had?
What if he'd faltered? What if he'd broken and killed himself? What if he'd been unable to handle the strain? What if he'd cheated on his wife? Or even gone for a more traditionalist solution?
Hell. That's what.
Now, how would that have been fair?
Also, remember this, hell is not a corrective measure. It's not like the shock your boy got from the iron. Hell is not temporary. It is not something you get over or an experience you come out after learning a valuable lesson.
No.
Hell is the ultimate punishment. It you get in, you're toast (literally) and you're never getting out. Ever.
Do you get my point now?
Why would God allow that man to go through two decades of torture, with the very real possibility of screwing up and ending up in hell forever and ever and freaking ever, when He could have just given the man a child?
Would any loving father do that to their child?
No? So, why does our heavenly father do it to us?
Why not remove the danger of eternal torment altogether?
Why gamble with our lives, hoping that we get it right and make it to heaven?
Would you gamble with your child like that?

Plus, it makes me wonder why some people have to wait for so long while others barely wait at all.
Young girls fool around with boys and get pregnant without even meaning to, and then they go for abortions (which I don't imagine God is okay with) while mature wives spend years enduring mental and emotional torture from their in laws and relatives and friends and even husbands in the process of trying for one child.
Why does God allow it?
It hardly seems fair.
Even the mad women on the streets can get it right when it comes to getting pregnant, so why not sane wives who are praying and fasting and doing every thing they ought to?

Why?

Tell me what you think...

I'm sorry if this is rough, and for the tense changes. It's how I usually think. Besides, I wrote this in church during service, the irony of which is not lost on me.

No flames please... If you're going to criticize me, do it intelligently. Thank you.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear God, Why... by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 07, 2018
No matter what's happening, it's unwise to ask God 'Why'
Re: Dear God, Why... by AntiNormal(m): 3:40pm On Jan 07, 2018
FortifiedCity:

I'm sorry, but I don't like your answer...
It screams of unquestionable obedience, and while that may seem like a good thing, it's really not...

2 Likes

Re: Dear God, Why... by AntiNormal(m): 3:44pm On Jan 07, 2018
FortifiedCity:

Anyway, why is it unwise to ask God why?
Will He strike you down for asking him why you and your wife have been unable to have children for twenty years?
Or is it because He won't answer?

Which is it?
Re: Dear God, Why... by chukslawrence(m): 3:53pm On Jan 07, 2018
FortifiedCity:
kindly excuse my ignorance, may i know why it is unwise?
Re: Dear God, Why... by elope: 6:14pm On Jan 07, 2018
AntiNormal:
The praise session in church today was led by a tall, slim woman who spent more time dancing than she did singing. The talking drummers kept the groove spicy with amazing rolls to make up for the drummer, who wasn't very good.
After the praise, there was a Bible reading. The pastor that led it read the scripture haltingly, like he was translating the words from Aramaic. A pastor substituted him and read the announcements like he was reading the news. After him, a new pastor came up and called out a list of names of people that had testimonies to share. A young man thanked God because he had finally received his visa. Another one was grateful to God because he rounded up his youth service in the North without any incident. A heavy set man rumbled about how the Lord saved his business from armed robbers and gave him a bountiful contract in the space of two days.
The last testifier was a woman. She was accompanied by her husband, and was carrying a baby in her arms. The couple were dressed to match. The man took the microphone from the pastor and began their account.
It wasn't necessarily a new story, but there was something in his voice, something in the way he was speaking that captivated the entire congregation. Halfway through the story, his wife started to cry. He paused, pulled out a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to her. By the time he was done, most of the congregation were on their feet and waving their hands to the glory of the Lord. The man took the baby from his wife and raised him up to the Lord - like Rafiki did with Simba in the Lion King - while his wife knelt and pressed her forehead to the floor.
The woman's wrapper unraveled as she got up, but she pulled it back in place and readjusted it with practiced ease.
The pastor took his mic back and asked the congregation to give glory to God, because He's worthy of it. No one else could have done this.
Give Him glory. Give Him glory.

This is the man's story.

He and his wife have been trying to have a child for 20 years. They went for countless scans and tests and spent a ridiculous amount of money trying to solve their problem. His mother wouldn't let his wife have any peace because she hadn't produced a child and was constantly going on about how he should be thinking of marrying a new, much more fertile wife. It didn't help that his junior brothers all had multiple children with their spouses while he - the first born son - had none. His friends gave unsolicited advice and tips, and many young girls began to push themselves in his direction, hoping to become the new Mrs. It got worse when his maid tried to seduce him, and when he resisted, she told him that she could give him the child he was looking for.
He fired her and got a less ambitious maid, but he couldn't shake the effects of that encounter. He couldn't help but feel like a failure. His spiritual life suffered and it became hard to focus on his business. The mental strain was too much, and he almost broke.
But... In the end, God did it for him, and gave him the long awaited child. After twenty long years of waiting, and doubting and worrying and overthinking, God finally did it.
The man was in tears by the time he was done, and there was a new air in the church, a new mood set by what we'd just heard.

But you want to hear something strange?
After hearing the man's story, I had questions, a ton of them, and most of them began with why.
Why did God make him wait 20 years?
It is well known that God's time is the best, but still I couldn't help but wonder why He didn't just give the man a child. It wouldn't have taken anything out of Him to make the woman's womb quicken for her husband. So why didn't He?
Why wait 20 years?
And let's not forget the maid. Imagine if the man had fallen for her wiles.
What then?
According to the doctrine of Christianity, he would have committed adultery and would have gone to hell for it.
Now imagine that the man had fallen into temptation. He would have sinned and won himself a spot in hell, eternally being punished for something that God could have prevented.

Now. I know what you're going to say. You're going to throw the freewill argument, that God let's us do what we want and choose because He doesn't want to coerce us or make us do anything. He wants us to make our own choices and follow our paths.
That's nice and everything, but think about this. God is our heavenly father, right? And according to the laws of nature, every parent is supposed to look out for the wellbeing of their offspring at all times, even if it means taking away their free will.
What do I mean?
Crocodile mothers let their hatchlings roam free while they snooze, but they keep an eye open to watch for danger. If they see something they don't like, they hurry and carry their babies in their mouths and keep them in there until the danger has passed. Lions - and all the big cats really - do the same thing with their cubs (they carry them by the scruffs of their necks and keep them close by until it's safe again).
Let's make it a human example now.
You have a faulty iron in your house that shocks whoever touches it anyhow. You have a three year old baby boy that bounces around, like he's high on sugar, and plays with everything he sees. You're ironing your clothes, and you get a call. You leave to take your call. When you come back, you see your boy about to touch the iron. The law of nature and your instincts demand that you stop him.
Why?
Because if you don't, he'll hurt himself and you don't want that.
Now if he insists, you'll probably smack him a couple of times and deliver a more stern warning. If after a month of stern warnings and smacking, he still wants to play with fire (figuratively), you'll probably be tempted to let him get shocked once, so he can learn his lesson.
This doesn't make you a bad parent, because you're doing what's best for him in the long run. If he gets shocked, he'll learn not to play with faulty irons.
There's a rationale for your letting him feel this pain, so you let him go right ahead.
The day of reckoning comes, and sure as hell, your little one is circling the iron and eyeing it. You find a spot and hide, watching to see what he'll do. He looks around to see if he's alone, and you smile to yourself.
Here we go, you think. He's going to do it.
You're right. He touches it and yelps. You come out of your hiding spot and ask him what happened. When he tells you, you scold the iron for daring to hurt your baby and give the baby in question a treat. Then you take him to the living room to watch Power Rangers Samurai.
Lesson learned.
He's never going to do it again, unless he's really into electricity, and you've done your job as a parent.
It's not the same with God and that man with the testimony.
First, by not giving him the child, He's left the man wide open to the temptation of his maid, and pressure from his mother and friends. And that's before mentioning the depression and anxiety he experienced due to the situation. Every single bad thing that could have happened could have been avoided if the man had gotten his child.
But nothing bad happened, you argue, and now he's stronger in faith.
But what if it had?
What if he'd faltered? What if he'd broken and killed himself? What if he'd been unable to handle the strain? What if he'd cheated on his wife? Or even gone for a more traditionalist solution?
Hell. That's what.
Now, how would that have been fair?
Also, remember this, hell is not a corrective measure. It's not like the shock your boy got from the iron. Hell is not temporary. It is not something you get over or an experience you come out after learning a valuable lesson.
No.
Hell is the ultimate punishment. It you get in, you're toast (literally) and you're never getting out. Ever.
Do you get my point now?
Why would God allow that man to go through two decades of torture, with the very real possibility of screwing up and ending up in hell forever and ever and freaking ever, when He could have just given the man a child?
Would any loving father do that to their child?
No? So, why does our heavenly father do it to us?
Why not remove the danger of eternal torment altogether?
Why gamble with our lives, hoping that we get it right and make it to heaven?
Would you gamble with your child like that?

Plus, it makes me wonder why some people have to wait for so long while others barely wait at all.
Young girls fool around with boys and get pregnant without even meaning to, and then they go for abortions (which I don't imagine God is okay with) while mature wives spend years enduring mental and emotional torture from their in laws and relatives and friends and even husbands in the process of trying for one child.
Why does God allow it?
It hardly seems fair.
Even the mad women on the streets can get it right when it comes to getting pregnant, so why not sane wives who are praying and fasting and doing every thing they ought to?

Why?

Tell me what you think...

I'm sorry if this is rough, and for the tense changes. It's how I usually think. Besides, I wrote this in church during service, the irony of which is not lost on me.

No flames please... If you're going to criticize me, do it intelligently. Thank you.
So many questions to ask when we get to heaven but in the end, we would realise it was for the best.... When things eventually turn out well, you will even thank God it hadn't earlier. Sometimes, we need to loom at the flipsode of things. It could be that if they had had a child at that point, twenty years ago, something could have happened. The child could have suffered a deadly disease or probably even turned to an armed robber but in the end, Gods time is always the best..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dear God, Why... by AntiNormal(m): 8:24pm On Jan 08, 2018
elope:

So many questions to ask when we get to heaven but in the end, we would realise it was for the best.... When things eventually turn out well, you will even thank God it hadn't earlier. Sometimes, we need to loom at the flipsode of things. It could be that if they had had a child at that point, twenty years ago, something could have happened. The child could have suffered a deadly disease or probably even turned to an armed robber but in the end, Gods time is always the best..

So God couldn't have given them a child that wouldn't grow up to be an armed robber?

1 Like

Re: Dear God, Why... by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jan 08, 2018
And what's the assurance that he won't still end up in hell even after the baby..lolz lolzzz. Well let's thank God that the man didn't fall for the wiles of the devil and today blessed with a child from his loins through his wife. One thing is certain, if you stray away from the path of righteousness, you head straight down to destruction in hell but if you regain your senses and come back to it, you'll keep walking to your heavenly home. If the righteous fall seven times, seven times he will rise.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear God, Why... by sonofthunder: 9:29pm On Jan 08, 2018
AntiNormal:

I'm sorry, but I don't like your answer...
It screams of unquestionable obedience, and while that may seem like a good thing, it's really not...
as difficult and ridiculous as it may sound, I discover more and more that that is God's expectation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dear God, Why... by Uyi168: 10:03pm On Jan 08, 2018
OP,u are such a great writer..i envy u..ehmm,to ur post,they say God works in mysterious ways...
Re: Dear God, Why... by AntiNormal(m): 1:29am On Jan 09, 2018
sonofthunder:

as difficult and ridiculous as it may sound, I discover more and more that that is God's expectation.

As a person who's having serious problems with faith in God, I don't even know how to take this...
Re: Dear God, Why... by AntiNormal(m): 1:29am On Jan 09, 2018
Uyi168:
OP,u are such a great writer..i envy u..ehmm,to ur post,they say God works in mysterious ways...

Thank you for the compliment, and for your two cents of wisdom...

The entire thing reeks of mystery, doesn't it?
Re: Dear God, Why... by Uyi168: 1:34am On Jan 09, 2018
AntiNormal:

Thank you for the compliment, and for your two cents of wisdom...
The entire thing reeks of mystery, doesn't it?
Sure it does..
Re: Dear God, Why... by TomHagen: 7:43am On Jan 09, 2018
You are in the first stage.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear God, Why... by sonofthunder: 12:14pm On Jan 09, 2018
AntiNormal:

As a person who's having serious problems with faith in God, I don't even know how to take this...

no matter how much effort we put in we may never explain 'away' the mystery/mysteries. I'm sure you are familiar with Abraham and the man who was lame for 38yrs (here Jesus even said its nobody's sin). truth is that no matter how much any of us (including the testifying man) drifts away from God, God is ever willing and able to accepts us and fulfil His promises/will in our life. He knows why He has chosen things to happen as they do when they seem to happen negatively... If I may ask, in what way(s) are you having problem with your faith?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dear God, Why... by AntiNormal(m): 2:07pm On Jan 10, 2018
TomHagen:
You are in the first stage.

The first stage of what, if you don't mind me asking?
Re: Dear God, Why... by tartar9(m): 2:55pm On Jan 10, 2018
...Am I this stupid
Re: Dear God, Why... by sonofthunder: 5:20pm On Jan 10, 2018
AntiNormal:

The first stage of what, if you don't mind me asking?
becoming an atheist is what I'm guessing he's implying to you. But then, there's always a flip side to every coin that's tossed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dear God, Why... by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 10, 2018
very easy .. Mr op what's your definition of God? in line with the Bible pls
Re: Dear God, Why... by danvon(m): 7:56pm On Jan 10, 2018
Well op according to you're post, the man isn't asking God why if he isn't neither should you
Re: Dear God, Why... by AntiNormal(m): 10:38pm On Jan 10, 2018
tartar9:
...Am I this stupid

I don't understand your comment... Are you trying insult me or yourself?
Re: Dear God, Why... by AntiNormal(m): 10:39pm On Jan 10, 2018
sonofthunder:

becoming an atheist is what I'm guessing he's implying to you. But then, there's always a flip side to every coin that's tossed.

Oh... That...
Honestly, at this point, becoming an atheist wouldn't really surprise me...
It just feels like it's been a long time coming...

Okay, maybe not an atheist... I know - in theory - that there is God...
I just can't seem to make myself follow Him... Not the way I ought to...
Re: Dear God, Why... by AntiNormal(m): 10:40pm On Jan 10, 2018
sonofthunder:

And what's the flip side to this coin?
Re: Dear God, Why... by AntiNormal(m): 10:42pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

I'm sensing a trick question here...
Even if there isn't one, I don't think you can define God... Because to do so, would be to limit Him...

At least, that's what I think...
Re: Dear God, Why... by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jan 10, 2018
AntiNormal:

I'm sensing a trick question here...
Even if there isn't one, I don't think you can define God... Because to do so, would be to limit Him...

At least, that's what I think...

lolx you seem not to get it.... it's true that God is limitless... but how do you know that .?
Re: Dear God, Why... by AntiNormal(m): 10:47pm On Jan 10, 2018
danvon:
Well op according to you're post, the man isn't asking God why if he isn't neither should you

I'm sorry, but I disagree...
That he's not questioning the situation doesn't mean that I can't...
After all, Boko Haram attacks haven't ever happened to you or yours, but you still question, analyze and discuss them, don't you?
Re: Dear God, Why... by AntiNormal(m): 10:48pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

lolx you seem not to get it.... it's true that God is limitless... but how do you know that .?

Because that's the general opinion...
Re: Dear God, Why... by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jan 10, 2018
AntiNormal:

Because that's the general opinion...
oh really,, so you believe general opinion??
Re: Dear God, Why... by AntiNormal(m): 10:49pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

Let's see how easy it really is...
How about you do it?
Define God, I mean... In line with the Bible of course...
Re: Dear God, Why... by AntiNormal(m): 10:50pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

oh really,, so you believe general opinion??

I don't... Not really...
It's general opinion, which means it's not fact...
It's what I've got to work with, seeing as there aren't any concrete facts on the matter...
Re: Dear God, Why... by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jan 10, 2018
AntiNormal:

I don't... Not really...
It's general opinion, which means it's not fact...
It's what I've got to work with, seeing as there aren't any concrete facts on the matter...

lolz so all your life as a Christian was lived in GENERAL OPINION?
Re: Dear God, Why... by AntiNormal(m): 10:54pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

lolz so all your life as a Christian was lived in GENERAL OPINION?

You say it like you're living outside it...
Are you? Are you really?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

God's Love For You Is Not On Trial. / "Revival Will Only Come When Billy Graham Dies" - Benny Hinn / Why Don’t Jews Believe In Jesus?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.