Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,424 members, 7,781,232 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:02 AM

A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) (35113 Views)

Nairalander Visits Oguta Lake Confluence And Saw Amazing Ecological Wonder / Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) / There Are Only Two Suspended Lakes In The World, Ado-awaye Suspended Lake Is One (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by OBALORLA(m): 5:03pm On Jan 07, 2018
Agodi Gardens, Mapo Hall Bower’s Tower, The University of Ibadan Zoo and Ado Awaye Mountain were the major places I had planned to explore when I traveled to Ibadan. While I achieved my aim with the first three, I failed at the fourth because of my crazy assumption of thinking since Ibadan and Ado Awaye are both inside Oyo state, it’d be easier for me to travel between the two destinations.

This turned out to be the craziest assumption I made in 2017.

The plan had been to either take a bus or a cab from Round-about on my way back from Bower’s tower in Ibadan. This was based on the assumption that one of them would be loading for Ado-Awaye. Unfortunately, everyone I approached seemed not to know anywhere with that name. Not even the bike men

It dawned on me then that all what I had read about Ibadan being the largest city in West Africa in terms of land mass were not false.

So I gave up on my plans but didn’t back, hence promising myself I was going to do a solo return before the year runs away.

I didn’t fail myself.

How did I get the fund?

It was self-funded. As soon as I could, I started saving up every hundred and thousand which came my way. I put the word out to my community so they could send in their prayers and well wishes. Then I started counting down to the day as the nights became longer.

The day finally came, and I can honestly say that I had a miserable journey. My trip ended up going beyond one day. Though, it ended up being worth it.

Preparation
Waking up at 8am on Saturday, the 2nd of December 2017 was on hindsight a very bad mistake, but since I didn’t know that then, I went on with my day. I rushed to have my bath; dressed up, unplugged my phone whose battery was still less than 50%; raced to a nearby barber to get a better haircut; then took advantage of an innocent Keke (tricycle). This took me to Sabo (Lagos) where a bus was on standby to accommodate just one more passenger before leaving for Ojota.

I was very happy because I thought I was very lucky. My happiness disappeared though when I realised that the time was already several minutes past 11am. I started trying to calculate just how long the journey was going to take; if I was going to return the same day as I had promised; and if I couldn’t return, how I would get extra cash since I was on a budget.

These were the questions running through my mind as I wandered around Ojota garage looking out for the next bus/car going to Oyo state. But no one was there to tell me I was on a long thing. Kudos to the driver though, he did well in terms of safe driving but did fairly well with acceleration.

I got to Oyo around 3:30 pm (Yes! I spent close to 2 hours waiting for the car to get filled) and after asking a cab driver how to get to Ado Awaye, he told me I had to get to Owode. From there I could take a bus to Iseyin, drop at Oja Agbe, before taking another to Ado Awaye.

Owode

My muscles immediately became feeble. I also suddenly remembered I hadn’t eaten.

“Who even send you message?” asked another voice from nowhere.

I was in a dilemma. Going further into the journey was going to be futile, and trying to go back home would be more brutal. So, I continued with little joy while I munched on a roll of Gala which I guess might have been close to its expiration date.

On transit to Ado Awaye

By the time I got to Ado Awaye, it was almost 7pm. I had just one option left then because there wasn’t even a guest house or a hotel anywhere in sight.

My only option was to look for the King’s palace and sleep there.

I soon decided against that when I heard a lady beside me say she was waiting for a cab going to Abeokuta. That was when I realised that Abeokuta was close by.
Thank goodness, I thought. I could pass the night at Dare’s place.

This was me right in front of the magnificent beast, but the time was 6:32pm. It’d make no sense hiking by this time. The next option was to locate the king’s palace to pass the night but I ditched that thought immediately as I heard a woman mentioned that Abeokuta isn’t too far away. So I headed to Dare’s place. Remember Dare? My very first host.

LOCATING THE SUSPENDED LAKE

On getting to Dare’s pace, I swore never to return to Ado Awaye again because that would mean spending way outside my budget which was very risky. But then, how could I suffer in vain? Going through all the trauma and returning home with nothing.

No! I decided I couldn’t go back empty-handed. A lot of people needed feedback about this trip.

So the next day, I washed my body and wore my polo and shorts again and this time around, I set out earlier. Off I went to Lafenwa, from where I boarded a cab destined for Igbo-Ora. There I joined another cab which took me to Ado Awaye.

It’s a Sunday but traders still went ahead with their thing.

Mud houses in Ado Awaye

All these happened within 3 hours. I was so happy that my energy levels soared and I barely remembered the pains of the previous day.

So the thing is, almost everyone in Ado Awaye is a tour guide. they can easily Identify a stranger and the reason behind visiting. Here’s Akande- on discovering I was coming to him after alighting from the cab, He asked if I wanted to see the mountain and I answered yes. He requested I paid #600 but I insisted on parting with #400 and he let out a mild grin after i promised I’d teach him how to take pictures with my camera.

Whenever there is sever drought in the land, the chief priest of the mountain will visit the mountain and wrap a white cloth around the ‘waist’ of Ishage rock; an action which will make rain fall heavily upon the land that night and the Ishage Rock will drop off the white cloth after the downpour.

A tale that has been repeatedly told to every tourist who’s hiked the Ado Awaye suspended lake is that these holes scattered all over the mountain are “Ese Awon Agba” meaning “footprints of the Elders”. I don’t think this is true. These holes must have been as a result of consistent grinding activities by the early settlers. since there were neither blenders nor grinding stones as at these periods.

The popular belief which I guess must be myth is that this lake is bottomless. Folklore even had it that whoever attempts to swim inside it will never be found again. Villagers however drink from it, professing it spirituality in terms of healing the sick and cleansing the filthy.

A view from the sky.

Tips on Hiking the Ado Awaye Suspended lake
- Leave home very early (esp. when you wouldn’t be going with a private car).
- Speak Yoruba (or go alongside someone who’s fluent). Majority of the locals are Yoruba and Hausa/Fulani.
- Haggle for everything with a Naira value.
- Carry water along. A lot of it.
- Hike light. carry only items you’d need. e.g camera water etc. as carry more than necessary items will get you tired easily.
- You should learn endurance as that’s the only skill required to get to the top.

sourced from:
http://www.nomadicnegro.com/ado-awaye-suspended-lake/

102 Likes 8 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by OBALORLA(m): 5:08pm On Jan 07, 2018
cc; lalasticlala,
cc: Mynd44,

Help a budding ministry. grin

6 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by sinaj(f): 5:09pm On Jan 07, 2018
Wooow!

Would love to go there someday.

Thanks for the interesting explanason Op, I njoyed it.

12 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by OBALORLA(m): 5:11pm On Jan 07, 2018
You won't regret it Sinaj.
The view from the top is breathtaking.
the villagers too are very friendly and would do anything to make you happy.

sinaj:
Wooow!

Would love to go there someday.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by AVECDEO: 5:12pm On Jan 07, 2018
you did this all alone?
you get mind sha... I'm impressed.

25 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by AVECDEO: 5:12pm On Jan 07, 2018
you did this all alone?
you get mind sha... I'm impressed.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by olureignforever: 5:40pm On Jan 07, 2018
Impressive

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by OBALORLA(m): 5:41pm On Jan 07, 2018
Thanks Olureignforever

olureignforever:
Impressive
Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Evablizin(f): 5:45pm On Jan 07, 2018
Wow,nice adventure.

8 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by OBALORLA(m): 6:12pm On Jan 07, 2018
Thanks Evablizin.

Evablizin:
Wow,nice adventure.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jan 07, 2018
Lalasticlala.. kpakurumo cheesy

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by MrHistorian: 7:53pm On Jan 07, 2018

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Fynestboi: 7:54pm On Jan 07, 2018
Interesting.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jan 07, 2018
Nothing here piques my interest.

11 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Flexherbal(m): 7:55pm On Jan 07, 2018
Wow!.

This is lovely !!

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by UbanmeUdie: 7:57pm On Jan 07, 2018
shocked

Totally a huge waste!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Okoyeeboz: 7:58pm On Jan 07, 2018
jboy73:
Nice brown roofs.

As at when those houses with brown roofs were being built, the descendants of Judas iscariot had not finished trekking from Isreal or wherever they were downloaded from.

74 Likes 6 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Haganah: 7:58pm On Jan 07, 2018
Nice one OP, I love trips like this?

But going by the trend in the South West, Is my head safe?

You may have survived it, but can we be confident that our parts will remain intact?

8 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by BluntBoy(m): 7:59pm On Jan 07, 2018
There is nothing extraordinary about the lake. Just myths.

I want to go to The Ikogosi Warm Springs.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Perge(m): 7:59pm On Jan 07, 2018
Thanks for posting the real pictures of Ibadan cheesy

9 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by dontbothermuch: 7:59pm On Jan 07, 2018
Cool
Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by GossipGirl1(f): 8:00pm On Jan 07, 2018
It looks really peaceful,nature is beautiful sha...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jan 07, 2018
The popular belief which I guess must be myth is that this lake is bottomless. Folklore even had it that whoever attempts to swim inside it will never be found again. Villagers however drink from it, professing it spirituality in terms of healing the sick and cleansing the filthy.

Who in their right senses will swim in that dirty lake anyways?

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Chykeboss(m): 8:02pm On Jan 07, 2018
o.p really love the persistent.. nice tour keep it up sir

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jan 07, 2018
Very explanatory. Thanks OP. Wanted to go last year when I went to Iseyin but something came up. This year I must there. I just have to go there.
Did you see the "Elephant" Tree?

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by AreaFada2: 8:02pm On Jan 07, 2018
Very good.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by apholaryn: 8:03pm On Jan 07, 2018
Nice 1 op...flaaatheads already infesting d nice thread...aww!

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by austin2all: 8:04pm On Jan 07, 2018
brown roofs eerywhere

5 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by OlujobaSamuel: 8:05pm On Jan 07, 2018
I do travel to this village, but I've never tried visiting the site, should go there is cashew season by God's grace. Thanks op. kudos

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jan 07, 2018
nice! i would like to live Around that area near the water.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by eterisan(m): 8:06pm On Jan 07, 2018
Very nice

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tarkwa Bay Island In 2018 – Shocking Story Of An Amazing Community / Food Item Not Allowed To Take When Traveling From Nigerian To Other Country / Lagos Traffic- Life Inside The World's Worst Traffic Jam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.