Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,550 members, 7,809,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria (52074 Views)

Coronavirus: Body Of Nigerian Nurse In US Removed From Her Home (Video) / Doctor Assaults Senior Nurse In FMC, Owerri / Pregnant Woman Beaten By Nurse In Calabar (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by Modupeolatemi01(f): 7:14pm On Feb 02, 2018
BNsc nurses don't wait till 300level before they start clinical posting sir. I'm sure u r not one cos dts very ridiculous and strange. I am a BNsc nurse n I started my clinicals after year one, things have changed now.

Plus u might not be completely wrong probably some universities do that or were doing dt but not in my school where I graduated. All the same, nice write up.

faheez:

there exist this usual belief that products from schools of nursing are more sound in health care delivery( as in manual dexterity ) because they get exposed to clinical experience immediately after there first 6month in school and they will constantly move from class -- ward, ward-- class almost every month till they finish their 3 years program.. compare to university nursing student that will start going to the ward maybe after their 300level. the above stated point cannot be 100% correct because we will still have students from school of nursing that will not be serious, viz we having university students that will go extra mile to learn. So question about who is better might be down on individuals zeal to learn. But in actuality, SON students get exposed to clinicals more than university students but I'm not saying they are better.

Also in terms of career prospects, the university way is far better than the School of nursing way because a university student spend 5 years and within this period he/she gets RN, (RM or RPN) and BNSc I.e 2 professional certificate and a degree which is an academic certificate
while a school of nursing student spends 3 years and gets only RN which is 1 professional certificate and for you to get degree,you have to wait for 1year to jamb direct entry to 200level, so another 4years for degree. so 3years + 1year + 4years = 8years... so someone spent just 5years while someone will spend 8 years. Do the math and choose wisely..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by beautyhound(m): 8:41pm On Feb 02, 2018
asuustrike2009:
Op can a male university nurse graduate take delivery?

I op I can answer as a (MALE) nurse... First of all, wot kinda mumu question is dt! As long as you are qualified (BNSc comes with RN nd also RM qualifications). RM (Registered Midwife) is actually a specialty/post basic course... Sometimes u might v issues generally bin employed as a male nurse due to Nigeria factor tho.
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:29pm On Feb 02, 2018
beautyhound:

I op I can answer as a (MALE) nurse... First of all, wot kinda mumu question is dt! As long as you are qualified (BNSc comes with RN nd also RM qualifications). RM (Registered Midwife) is actually a specialty/post basic course... Sometimes u might v issues generally bin employed as a male nurse due to Nigeria factor tho.
I know why I asked this question. Am talking of the reality not mere words
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by Herdeybayo1(m): 10:34pm On Feb 02, 2018
k
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by okadoo: 10:47pm On Feb 02, 2018
Timothy3113:
I don't know your plan , but if you want to work for Nigeria government. Forget that Bsc nursing from Cotonou. You won't be allowed to practice as a Registered Nurse here in Nigeria, except you want to be an educated auxiliary.

My sister fished from Cotonou as a registered nurse and she is practicing in Lagos (Gov hospital)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by Lumie08(f): 10:56pm On Feb 02, 2018
asuustrike2009:

I know why I asked this question. Am talking of the reality not mere words

Very Very well and sometimes better than their female counterparts. I'v seen male nurses whose first attempt at taking delivery is more perfect and neater than female nurses, now imagine their subsequent ones. That aside, I know some male nurses who are so good with taking deliveries that they no longer want to take normal ones but seek to take complicated deliveries. Some do all these well with just their BNSc training, you just might not really find many of them specializing in midwifery

like someone said earlier, its a matter of having the zeal and loving what one does. With these, you can be better than others.

1 Like

Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:59pm On Feb 02, 2018
Lumie08:

Very Very well and sometimes better than their female counterparts. I'v seen male nurses whose first attempt at taking delivery is more perfect and neater than female nurses, now imagine their subsequent ones. That aside, I know some male nurses who are so good with taking deliveries that they no longer want to take normal ones but seek to take complicated deliveries. Some do all these well with just their BNSc training, you just might not really find many of them specializing in midwifery

like someone said earlier, its a matter of having the zeal and loving what one does. With these, you can be better than others.
Thank you for the enlightenment
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by faheez(m): 4:25am On Feb 03, 2018
Modupeolatemi01:

BNsc nurses don't wait till 300level before they start clinical posting sir. I'm sure u r not one cos dts very ridiculous and strange. I am a BNsc nurse n I started my clinicals after year one, things have changed now.

Plus u might not be completely wrong probably some universities do that or were doing dt but not in my school where I graduated. All the same, nice write up.

Aunty modupe As much as I would love to commend you, you phucked up with one word.. I internationally left out the egocentricity part of the 2 party. which of course is common among the university chaps and it's even evident in your post. what calls for (I'm not sure you are one). .correction could actually be made without throwing punchlines.. Namaste
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by HaneefahRN(f): 5:31am On Feb 03, 2018
Modupeolatemi01:

What University did you study?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by Modupeolatemi01(f): 5:41am On Feb 03, 2018
Babcock

HaneefahRN:

What University did you study?
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by Modupeolatemi01(f): 5:46am On Feb 03, 2018
Well bros I wasn't throwing punchline when I said 'I'm not sure u r one. I'm sorry if it felt like one. I was just trying to correct that 300 level thingy cos it's so not true.

faheez:

Aunty modupe As much as I would love to commend you, you phucked up with one word.. I internationally left out the egocentricity part of the 2 party. which of course is common among the university chaps and it's even evident in your post. what calls for (I'm not sure you are one). .correction could actually be made without throwing punchlines.. Namaste
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by topearos(m): 6:28am On Feb 03, 2018
faheez:

what you will face when you carry their yeye certificate here, you will cry in French

Thank you for the enlightenment.
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by topearos(m): 6:33am On Feb 03, 2018
okadoo:

My sister fished from Cotonou as a registered nurse and she is practicing in Lagos (Gov hospital)

Tell your sister to tell you the truth, she graduated from Cotonou but her result does not bear Cotonou. There's a way they manipulate it, got results from other neighbouring countries.

Shalom! �
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by Timothy3113(m): 7:40am On Feb 03, 2018
okadoo:

Hmmm,

Not in for an argument, but I know so many people from
topearos:

Tell your sister to tell you the truth, she graduated from Cotonou but her result does not bear Cotonou. There's a way they manipulate it, got results from other neighbouring countries.

Shalom! �
okadoo:

Hmmm,

Not in for an argument, but I know so many people studying in Cotonou, that left at there finals due to accreditation issue.

Some were given the option to graduate with public health, or pay additional fee and go to Ghana to continue there studies.

1 Like

Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by HaneefahRN(f): 9:08am On Feb 03, 2018
Modupeolatemi01:

Babcock

That's nice
The guy you quoted isn't wrong though, a lot of Unis start clinical postings for their students at 300 level
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by Precious111(f): 9:20am On Feb 03, 2018
Hello Nurses in the house,
Can I study Nursing in Ghana and work with the certificate in Nigeria. If Yes, can somebody help with the University I can apply to and the probability of getting admitted
Thanks in advance
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by faheez(m): 11:04am On Feb 03, 2018
Modupeolatemi01:

Well bros I wasn't throwing punchline when I said 'I'm not sure u r one. I'm sorry if it felt like one. I was just trying to correct that 300 level thingy cos it's so not true.

now you are highly welcome wink ,descendant of nightingale.

1 Like

Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by Modupeolatemi01(f): 11:52am On Feb 03, 2018
Thanks. #greatnurses

faheez:
now you are highly welcome wink ,descendant of nightingale.
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by Modupeolatemi01(f): 11:53am On Feb 03, 2018
Wao! That's strange.

HaneefahRN:

That's nice
The guy you quoted isn't wrong though, a lot of Unis start clinical postings for their students at 300 level
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by topearos(m): 2:27pm On Feb 03, 2018
Timothy3113:
Hmmm,

Not in for an argument, but I know so many people from Hmmm,

Not in for an argument, but I know so many people studying in Cotonou, that left at there finals due to accreditation issue.

Some were given the option to graduate with public health, or pay additional fee and go to Ghana to continue there studies.

Just exact what I was trying to say.
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:36pm On Feb 03, 2018
CONSULTATION SERVICES ON GYN/OBS

I wish to make it known publicly that I run consultation services on female health and pregnancy on mobile basis.
This is will allow me to have a special private discussion with all respective subjects as necessary.
Being suggested as putting all things make and put together, it is not going to run free. This will requires one to pay a certain amount for the time accrued or used. It is cheap and does not require one to pay as high as any physical services.

HOW TO START:

At first I thought it was good rendering out this service on phone call,it came so late that conversation through any of these messengers was alright. And using the whatapps messenger has proved it worth. Please in order to start,I would prefer;
i) You call to introduce yourself.
ii) You may also state clearly what service you really require from me
iii) if you don't feel like calling,you may also send it through by normal text messages
iv)Don't make any payment until you have discus this with me
v) Make transfer of service charges and confirm on my end if I have been credited.
vi) You may start conversing with me on whatapps or if you don't mind tell me when you want the consultation.

TIME AND DAYS FOR CONSULTATION:
Monday - Friday: 5p.m - 12a.m
Saturday - Sunday : 1p.m - 4p.m(noon)
8p.m - 1 a.m (evening)

CONSULTATION CHARGES:

The following are marked charges with respect time spent discussing on the phone;
At most 45min-1hr========1000-naira(#1000)
1hr-2hr========2000-naira(#2000)
2hr-3hr========3000-naira(#3000)
The rule is simple,for every hour spent a thousand naira is charge. It is cheap and affordable.

PAYMENT:
Service is render before payment as to avoid any case of incongruent complexities. Regarding this, I will duly indulge everyone to be churchly minded that operating under falsity and scamming is highly disapproving. Let's do things right.

PAYMENT METHOD:
Mobile transfer of service charges is richly advisable.

CONSULTATION PHONE NUMBER: 08176371308 and 09075560712

CONSULTATION ACCOUNT NUMBER:
FCMB
Gabriel Ogedegbe

...respect to this I sincerely seek your resolve to give inputs to make this simpler and reachable to everyone giving an intention that I might not have hinted on something or overlooked at it.
In addition to the former,I want everyone us to:
1) draw the attention of every person here in case a fraud is sensed.
2) copy the vital part of this post as it may not always be pasted.
3) tell other women of this service as a helping hand to

1 Like

Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by beautyhound(m): 2:49pm On Feb 03, 2018
LuckyG1:
CONSULTATION SERVICES ON GYN/OBS

I wish to make it known publicly that I run consultation services on female health and pregnancy on mobile basis.
This is will allow me to have a special private discussion with all respective subjects as necessary.
Being suggested as putting all things make and put together, it is not going to run free. This will requires one to pay a certain amount for the time accrued or used. It is cheap and does not require one to pay as high as any physical services.

HOW TO START:

At first I thought it was good rendering out this service on phone call,it came so late that conversation through any of these messengers was alright. And using the whatapps messenger has proved it worth. Please in order to start,I would prefer;
i) You call to introduce yourself.
ii) You may also state clearly what service you really require from me
iii) if you don't feel like calling,you may also send it through by normal text messages
iv)Don't make any payment until you have discus this with me
v) Make transfer of service charges and confirm on my end if I have been credited.
vi) You may start conversing with me on whatapps or if you don't mind tell me when you want the consultation.

TIME AND DAYS FOR CONSULTATION:
Monday - Friday: 5p.m - 12a.m
Saturday - Sunday : 1p.m - 4p.m(noon)
8p.m - 1 a.m (evening)

CONSULTATION CHARGES:

The following are marked charges with respect time spent discussing on the phone;
At most 45min-1hr========1000-naira(#1000)
1hr-2hr========2000-naira(#2000)
2hr-3hr========3000-naira(#3000)
The rule is simple,for every hour spent a thousand naira is charge. It is cheap and affordable.

PAYMENT:
Service is render before payment as to avoid any case of incongruent complexities. Regarding this, I will duly indulge everyone to be churchly minded that operating under falsity and scamming is highly disapproving. Let's do things right.

PAYMENT METHOD:
Mobile transfer of service charges is richly advisable.

CONSULTATION PHONE NUMBER: 08176371308 and 09075560712

CONSULTATION ACCOUNT NUMBER:
FCMB
Gabriel Ogedegbe

...respect to this I sincerely seek your resolve to give inputs to make this simpler and reachable to everyone giving an intention that I might not have hinted on something or overlooked at it.
In addition to the former,I want everyone us to:
1) draw the attention of every person here in case a fraud is sensed.
2) copy the vital part of this post as it may not always be pasted.
3) tell other women of this service as a helping hand to

first question nd very important, are you registered under d appropriate board either as a nurse or doctor?
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by faheez(m): 4:14pm On Feb 03, 2018
Modupeolatemi01:

Babcock

which set please, coz a secondary school classmate of mine also finished there..
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by Modupeolatemi01(f): 5:40pm On Feb 03, 2018
I finished 2010

faheez:
which set please, coz a secondary school classmate of mine also finished there..
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by inspector44(m): 5:41pm On Feb 03, 2018
Please someone with a degree BSC in Microbiology and wants to study nursing...... At what level do I start from considering I want to start up a career in nursing
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by Timothy3113(m): 7:31pm On Feb 03, 2018
inspector44:
Please someone with a degree BSC in Microbiology and wants to study nursing...... At what level do I start from considering I want to start up a career in nursing
You start from 200 level
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by inspector44(m): 12:07am On Feb 05, 2018
Timothy3113:
You start from 200 level

What about going through the medical postgraduate College along badagry to do a programme can that work. Cos my wife wants to build a career for her self in medical
she has a BSC microbiology and a PGD in Maritime Environmental Management...... I really need your advice
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by Timothy3113(m): 7:41am On Feb 05, 2018
inspector44:

What about going through the medical postgraduate College along badagry to do a programme can that work. Cos my wife wants to build a career for her self in medical
she has a BSC microbiology and a PGD in Maritime Environmental Management...... I really need your advice
Majority of all health practitioner are all licensed in Nigeria, Doctors by MDCN, nurses by NMNC, Lab scientist by Mlscn, pharmacist by pcn , e.t.c

The Nigeria medical postgraduate college is mainly for Medical doctors.
No matter your postgraduate qualification, if don't have a Bsc in that field and aren't licensed, you can't practice.

3 Likes

Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:14pm On May 14, 2018
generalbush:
Do you aspire to become a Registered nurse in Nigeria? This post will clearly explain to you how to achieve that. Before you go ahead to purchase any nursing form, be sure to go through this post and get the best insight on how to become a nurse in Nigeria. Nursing was included as one of the best science courses in Nigeria

Do you know that there are three (3) ways to become a registered midwife or nurse in Nigeria? They are;

The 3-year basic Midwifery Training Program
The 3 year basic General Nursing Program and
The 5-year BSc Nursing Degree Program

The advantage is that these three routes have the same entry requirement of five credits in five subjects which are; English, Maths, Biology, Physics, and Chemistry in not more than 2 sittings. To enter major universities to study nursing, you must have credits in the above courses listed above. The difference is the Jamb requirements for the BNSc programme. This means that you have the choice to either basic nursing/midwife program, or you sit for Jamb for the BNSc program.

The 5-year Generic BNSc Nursing Program

This program is designed to make you a polyvalent nursing practitioner. At the end of your program, you graduate with the General Nursing program qualification, the Midwifery program qualification, and a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BNSc). Depending on your institution, you can equally graduate with an extra qualification in public health nursing. With these qualifications, you can easily move on to earn your masters in Nursing before a PhD in Nursing. This is one of the routes to become a registered nurse in Nigeria.

The 3 year Basic Midwifery Training Program

The obvious drawback to this route is the fact that after qualifying as a registered midwife in this way, most recruiting organizations still request a double qualified practitioner. This means that you still have to go back for another 18 months post basic general nursing course. Another fact to note before using this route to become a registered nurse in Nigeria is that most Nigerian universities don’t accept RN for direct entry purposes.

The 3 year Basic General Nursing Program

For the basic general nursing program, an average of N250, 000 is needed for the admission fee. You should also know that the 3-year duration isn’t inclusive of the 6 months that you would spend in PTS. The 3 years can be extended to 4, 5 years in different guises such as demotion, pregnancy, suspension by SON principals, accreditation issues, failure in your exams, and other endless reasons.

Even after writing the NMCN exams, you would be required to spend some extra months working for free in hospital wards pending when the council releases your final qualifying result.

Another important fact to note is that the general nursing and basic midwifery routes are both hospital-based programs with professional licensure and it was only in October of 2007 that an expert assessors committee accorded the qualifications obtained therein the same as HND attracting a grade level08 (step 1) for employment purposes only and NOT for academic purposes.

A major advantage though, of obtaining an RN qualification either via route 1,2 or 3 to become a registered nurse in Nigeria is that it qualifies you to practice as a nurse abroad. RN qualification is also a valid requirement for further studies in the Nigerian university system for direct entry (DE) into degree programs in philosophy, psychology, social works etc

The major drawback for those who aspire to become a registered nurse in Nigeria at the moment is embroiled in a bitter fight for the soul of Nursing professionalism. Earning a degree in these previously and erroneously tagged “degrees allied to Nursing” according to our statutory regulatory body NMCN does not qualify one to progress to the directorate Nursing cadre. This stance by the NMCN reinforced the position of the National Council on the establishment (NCE) at its 37th Meeting in Akure where it stated that “Possession of a first degree in NURSING, not allied courses is a sine qua non of running the nursing officers cadre.

LUTH management also reaffirmed this when it refused accepting Masters degrees in these “allied course” obtained by lecturers in its school of Midwifery insisting that professional progression must be dependent on the acquisition of masters degree in core Nursing courses for holders of BNSc qualification, not masters in an allied course. Thus the route may provide an avenue for further degrees in other professional domains but these degrees outside of Nursing may count for nothing professionally.

In the long run, the abysmal remuneration of being a single qualified (RN) nurse would force you to seek further post basic qualification which costs an average of another N250,000 to N300,000 in admission costs. I forgot to add that most post basic programs would insist that you should have practised for at least 2 years before applying; a two-year experience you would gain trolling from one private hospital to another where you would be overworked and underpaid.

Remember, this post basic qualification to become a registered nurse in Nigeria is a prerequisite if you would want to be employed on GL 08 step 4 instead of step 1 if you had only an RN. What this means is that you may never get to the peak as your professional growth terminates abruptly at grade level 14 and you can only go beyond this on lateral conversion to the officer’s cadre following acquisition of a Nursing degree

By this time, six years or more would have rolled by. You probably have gotten married with kids and wishing you went with route 3 (BNSc Nursing). Albeit late, you decide to start the 4-year university route. If financially buoyant, you probably enrol in a neighbouring country like Benin Republic, Ghana, niger for a BNSc program or you spend another two years battling to get a DE admission to a Nigerian university.

Adult education at this time puts your marriage under strain, your life is put at risk as you make multiple treacherous travels to the university, the emotional and psychological torture cannot be quantified not to talk of the financial burden of university admission. The entire rigmarole is just time wasting, psychologically demeaning and heart-wrenching.

Globally, the system of education in nursing is changing. I sincerely hope that this article on NursingworldNigeria.com enlightens you to make an informed decision on which route suits you best. I wish you best of luck. (source: Nursing world)

Source: http://dailystudentinfo.com/become-registered-nurse-nigeria/

lalasticlala

Please can someone with waec move straight to School of Nursing, then at the end of the school of nursing (3years), he/she gets RN certification?
Is this possible?
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by gasbee: 8:04am On May 15, 2018
Good morning, as a registered nurse , how can one build up her career in DAT profession, wat ideas or certification is needed as a boost in dat medical line
Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by JoannaSedley(f): 8:38am On May 15, 2018
gasbee:
Good morning, as a registered nurse , how can one build up her career in DAT profession, wat ideas or certification is needed as a boost in dat medical line
Get your Bachelors in Nursing science. Masters and PhD.

3 Likes

Re: Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria by lovely22: 7:56pm On Jul 15, 2018
pls if someone is done with the 3 yrs basic nursing programme in Nigeria and wants to further her studies to get bsc nursing programme degree in UK
how many yrs wld that take?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Facts About Condoms / What's The Best Insecticide For Lagosian Mosquitoes? / Man Rescues An Abandoned Baby, While Others Were Busy Taking Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.