Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

Short Story Of A Frustrated UNIOSUN Undergraduate - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story Of A Frustrated UNIOSUN Undergraduate (1452 Views)

PERFIDY- A STORY OF LOVE,BETRAYAL AND DECEIT / Switched (story Of A Fierce Battle Between Desperate Infatuation And True Love) / The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Short Story Of A Frustrated UNIOSUN Undergraduate by olril17(m): 12:35am On Jan 09, 2018
Good day everyone...

my first time of writing of Nairaland..

please endeavor to comment and criticise me(no matter the harshness) where necessary.

And please,pardon me for any grammatical blunder in the course of this piece.

N.B : This is a fictional work.Although the imagination was derived from my last session in the school(Osun state University) where Students who defaulted in one way or the other were prevented from writing exams.

Dedicated: to my critics and my new friends here.
Re: Short Story Of A Frustrated UNIOSUN Undergraduate by olril17(m): 12:40am On Jan 09, 2018
He wasn't shock when musty accosted him

"Old boy,have you been to school today?"

"No,what happened?" Badejo who has already guessed what musty want to tell him was still hoping its something else.

"Its all on the board,your name was listed among those who owe tuition fees"
Musty concluded and moved past him to the pavement

"How much was there?"

" 400000"
musty replied.

He spit and looked away from musty,his heart thudded, he must had aged ten times over,if he was deeply affected by the news,he kept it away from Musty, the campus jester and gossiper.

"My dad is working on it musty,I should definitely pay before the examination commence"
He pouted and spit again

"Better do,I overheard the dean telling someone over phone that students who owe shall not definitely write the examinations.
Musty replied again.

His heart thudded heavily again,it almost jump out of his mouth,still he seems unaffected.

" But that is bad musty,what is this school turning in to?, it wasn't like this before "

Musty put down the plastic kettle and sigh sympathetically

" Yes,but since they changed the vice chancellor,things has really change in this school"
He concluded.

Badejo hissed and rain curses on the vice chancellor quietly.

"So if a person was not allow to write his examinations, will they conduct his own examinations for him after he pays?"

Musty brushed his hand,rinsed it with water and looked up again.

"Walahi,I tell you,its a most wicked decision, a lot of people who has not paid,it is not their fault at all"

"Its not their fault,we have wicked student leaders in this school,why can't they do something about this,they will not say anything as usual"
Badejo protested In frustration

"Don't blame them Bade,don't you know we have moles among us,some students in this school are hell bent on frustrating the student leaders"

Musty said,brushing his mouth with water and spitting it on the ground

"That is true,but those idiot students should consider people like us,its not our fault we didn't pay"

"Look at you,they want to finish school on time,so they know if the students go on rampage and the school is closed ,it will increase the year they will spend in school"

"And so what? "

He brushed through his hair
"Apart from that some use their tuition fee to do Magic money"

Musty said and laugh hysterically,switching his face from side place to side.

"Those people are very stupid,but the school should know how to separate those who do magic money and those whose it is not their fault they didn't pay"

He was washing his left feet now

"Bade,it will not happened, that will be too tedious for the school to do,the decision is sad,its better to find a way to pay before the deadline"

He walked toward him and zoomed to the "Ali mosque" where the Muslim students perform their prayers .Badejo was mostly grateful, musty didn't notice because he hide quite well,that was a most uncomfortable topic for him,he was lying though,his father is helpless and they will not be able to pay the fees,still he hoped on miracles.

"Badejo,where have you been"
Tokode called from afar angrily "

"Wetin I do you na,why u con dey shout ma name like that"
He always enjoy his pidgin.

"Dey there,dey shout,the dean don dey look for you tete"
Tokode also fired back in pidgin.
Badejo raised his eyes and hold his waist,he could feel his heartbeat,the tension has risen to the highest.

"Why da dean dey look for me,wetin I do am again"

Tokode is a man of little patience.

"I no know oo,he sha wan see you,he don call your number sef,im no go"

"Okay tokode,I go go see am for office on Monday"

Tokode walked past the gate and stopped the motorcycle man.

"Better do,it will not be funny if you don't write exam again this semester o,don't joke with this information o"

He was already on the bike,Badejo was relived,he tilted his head,and went back to his room,which he shared with three other roommates,he considered them annoying,he did not like them for anything,but they do not speak well of him too. If he can tolerate the others,he does not like Rinwa and Rinwa has told him severely he does not think highly of him too.
There was even a scuffle between them weeks ago as the two of them could not hide their disgust.

"Cass,tell Rinwa never to talk to me like that again in his life"
Rinwa was silent at first,then he hissed.

"Cass,can you see that? Is it me that nincompoop and half trained idiot is hissing at?"

Cass closed his contract textbook,took a measured look at Badejo and nodded secretly. Badejo is the menance and trouble maker of this room,he did not regard him,but he always find a way to tolerate him the way others,especially,Rinwa could not. Their room hadd been nicknamed "War room"
And Badejo had play a role to in that.

"Rinwa, you sef, you should know how to control yourself"
Re: Short Story Of A Frustrated UNIOSUN Undergraduate by olril17(m): 1:00am On Jan 09, 2018
Rinwa was visibly irritated now

"Can't you see,I have not spoken a word since he started? Does he want to turn the rest of us to dunce in this room?"
Rinwa hissed again,took water from his bowl and went back to his corner,Badejo fumed and kicked his shoe,flying
towards the door.

"Don't ever in your life insult me again,you this boy that lacks home training ,I'm I your mate?"

Rinwa rose,he clasp and spat out.
"How dare you insult my parents,you fool,don't you ever insult my parents again"
Rinwa moved closer to Badejo,soon crowds,mostly colleagues started gathering in the room,in truth a lot were not their to settle dispute but to watch a physical confrontation. Pete already had his video camera up,Favour was shouting they should leave them and let's see "who is the stronger between the two". There were giggles too.

Badejo looked at Rinwa with eyes full of blood,he flew at him and landed him a heavy slap,Rinwa,stunned and dazed at first stood rooted to the spot,they were now shouting,they want to see more.
Then Rinwa saw something,he grabbed the sauce pan from musty's hand and smash it on his opponent head.

Musty was was excited now,this is what he love most.
The two fighters flew and clung on each other, exchanging hot blows,each blow landing attract on both opponent attracts noise from their spectators.

Pete began a song

" Akiti lo le ja o
Ija lo le ja o
O ni aya bi ibon oo
Ija lo le ja o
Akiti lo le ja o
Ija lo le ja o"

Inno who just entered went to bring his drum.they sang and sang until their voice went.

Suddenly,Badejo kicked Rinwa in the stomach,carried him shoulder high and threw him on the hard floor,blood was spouting out from his opponent face,Badejo had a finger cut in his left eye.
They carried Badejo shoulder high,singing his praise,while they mock Rinwa who was pretending he still want to fight, in actual,he was hoping they would hold him so the fight can stop,he has been thoroughly thrashed.
For days,they were imitating the "big fight" describing the styles the two opponent had used.They acknowledged Badejo is a good fighter indeed.
For Badejo,he knew Rinwa has not wronged him,he should not have fought him.He hated them all,including Cass,they were symbols of what he dislike. They were comfortable and can afford everything unlike him who does not have a suit and has only one dirty,old shoe to boast of.He knew they have paid their tuition fee too. How dare them!

He entered the room to sleep,to catch some sleep at least,Rinwa and kozimo were talking about the tuition fees issue.

"Thank God I've paid " Rinwa said happily,sitting down on the room's small reading table.

"I pity all those people who will not write exams because they have not paid" Kozimo added.

Badejo opened the door and glared at the two.

"I don't pity them at all" Rinwa secretly view Badejo,he had seen his name on the pasted list."serves this idiot right" he thought.

"Why don't you pity them" Kozimo asked concerned. But Rinwa had drifted off.
Rinwa has not slept though,he only hated Badejo,and he pity the defaulters too,he only said that to spite the bastard.
They had made many attempt to force him out of the room, but Badejo is thick, he did pretend as if he was not aware of their plans. He jumped on his bed and slept off angrily, angry at himself, angry at everybody except Baba- awoo the only who seem to understand him. He didn't go out throughout the day again,all the talks had been about the pasted list of tuition defaulters
Re: Short Story Of A Frustrated UNIOSUN Undergraduate by olril17(m): 1:09am On Jan 09, 2018
Badawy heart jump as soon as he saw Badejo,approaching through the corridor.

"What is wrong,has anything gone wrong in schoo?l"
He asked instinctively,

Badejo who had enter the room glare and stare,unable to utter a word.

"Answer me now,this way you are looking shows something is wrong"
Badawy said,almost pleading now.

Still Badejo stare and stood still.
Then he erupted

"What kind of question is that? Are you just realising my tution hasn't been paid yet?, the dean has said those of us who owe shall not be allowed to write exams again this semester"

He said, almost breaking in to tears,this is too much for him to bear.

He stared in to spaces,trouble is brewing again,he can sense it.

"My dear son, listen to me very carefully, you know I don't joke with education,you know I take it serious, so it is not that I am not paying this on purpose,what is happening to us is very unfortunate,the Governor did not pay us our gratuity as he promised, and you know the monthly stipend is given to us in half"

Badejo flew at his father furiously

"What kind of father are you? Do you want to destroy my life? Is that nonsense you are spewing the solution? See,you this man,if I don't write the exams again this semester, I'll kill everybody"

Badawy tried to remain tactful.

"I'm trying my best,I have really seen people on this issue,it is just unfortunate that the mother hen do sweats,but people will not notice because of its feathers"

Badejo went insane now,he kicked the table,and smashed the small water bowl on the floor in frustration,then he flew at Badawy again.

"I regret in my life having you as my father,you are useless and irresponsible"

Badawy could not take this again

"Are you talking to me your father like that"

"Whose father?,I hate you, God knows I hate you with all my life for all this untold suffering,are you blind? I will not be allowed to write Examinations again. You have practically destroy my life"

Badawy spit out and cursed

"You bastard,one day,your useless,prostitute mother will tell you who your real father is,so because I can't pay your tuition, you have to resort to abusing and vilifying me? Is it a crime I can't pay,are you blind to see this is happening due to being a victim of a system's failure? The Government is making us pensioners and civil servants suffer. Are you blind? ,is it that I have the money,I'm intentionally not paying?
Re: Short Story Of A Frustrated UNIOSUN Undergraduate by olril17(m): 1:20am On Jan 09, 2018
Badejo moved nearer and clapped on Badawy's face.

"I hate you,if they are calling all fathers to assemble,are you actually going to go to such Assembly? You half man!
You have become nothing in your life, now you will destroy my own too" he moved closer to Badawy who was detaching himself by stepping backwards.

Badejo snarled again.

"I'll kill you before that happens,I'll strangle you, you useless,irresponsible father,why must your own ill luck affect us so negatively?"

Badawy breath heavily as he watch his son threatened him and then collapse on the cane chair,cursing and shouting.

Just by a corner in the room,Jemila weep and whimpered quietly, she knew the whole neighborhood must have heard this latest fracas again.

Pastor shaked his head continuously,facing his sister.

"That is how that boy always insults his father,it always hurt me"

Bumalo was incensed.

"My brother,that boy must be a bastard, I have never seen in my life where a boy behaves like that to his own father,this is really unbelievable, what son behaves like that?"

Miriam popped out of the kitchen, eager to contribute to the discussion.

"That is what this government has caused, a lot of families are going through what you just witnessed now,child against father,wife against husband,it's a sad cycle"

Pastor nodded affirmatively.

"Very true,I have a friend, now his wife always nag him,imagine, the wife called me just yesterday to asked me whether its true her husband has not received salary"

They all burst in to laughter.

"She must have been so desperate" Miriam asked

"Yes,whenever she requested for money, her husband will keep saying there is no money available"

They all sigh.

"You know what makes it bad is that the Government always says it does not owe anybody to the media,so the wife thought her husband must have been lying,whereas it's the Government that is not telling the truth"
Pastor added again.

"And the state media is a propaganda tool of the Government, if you watch the news now,the major thing they will keep hammering upon is that Government does not owe"
Miriam chipped in

"I can see it now,this must be frustrating" Bumalo nodded her head.

Pastor lowered his voice

"Last week,a man committed suicide,in his suicide note,he explained he is tired of life,he has a lot of debts,and the government will not pay them salaries and other entitlements so he can settle his debts"

"What kind of country is this for God sake?"

Bumalo exclaimed.

"Aunty,did you not read it in the news of how much money was spent in the Governor son's wedding?, the ceremony was held in London,come and see how money was wasted on just a day event"

Miriam chipped in again.

"And some people are dying of hunger,this is bad,this is not what this government promised us"
Bumalo was almost in tears now.
Re: Short Story Of A Frustrated UNIOSUN Undergraduate by olril17(m): 1:34am On Jan 09, 2018
Saku looked sadly at Badawy.
"Baba,I don't think the vice chancellor will attend to you,a lot of parents have been here like yourself,the Vice chancellor has refused to attend to them"

Badawy was desperate,and hopeless too,still he will not give up.
"My young lady,still help me to try and push the letter to him,who knows, he may attend to me"

Saku nodded,standing up on the chair,all these old people had made her week a bad one,the VC has not attended to the request of any of them,she do spend night these days thinking how bad this country has become. She nodded again,she knew the VC will not grant this old man's request,it made her tinge inside.

"Go inside baba,you are lucky the VC will attend to you"
Atere lightened up again,thanking Saku profusely.

The VC cut Badawy shot immediately and told him to "go straight to the point"

Badawy look confused again,not knowing where to begin his story,he brought out his documents and show it to the VC .He listened to Badawy pathetic story without interrupting,this old man is not lying,he knew this old man was telling the truth.
Badawy finished his story and look hopefully at the vice chancellor.
Ugodi,the vice Chancellor breath hard,the old man has won him over,he felt pity for this man who has even has to walk long distance to this place from his abode,still he can't help,its a government decision.

Baba,I know you are telling the truth,your documents further prove that,but I'm sorry I can't help you,it was the government policy that those who can't pay their tuition fees should not write any examination "
He watched him exhaled , this old man want to burst and cry,he can see as his face quickly turned reddish.

"Just tell that boy to write a letter of leave of absence, I pray you will see this money in order to pay up"
Ugodi concluded.

He bowed and open the door,Saku can see from his expression that his bid has failed,he has come,and like the others,who has gone,their expressions when they open that door do send her chills.

"I'm sorry,there is nothing that can be done"
Awosoye the faculty portal told Badejo.

"Just write your letter and make sure you submit before you go,ehn?.

Badejo bowed
" okay sir"

"Its sad and unfortunate what you are going through, but believe me,every man who shall be great in life always have one bitter story or two to say,this is your own story,its well my son,don't think too much about this,and don't ever think of giving up,alright?

Badejo nodded again
" thank you sir"

"Pick up books on Awolowo,Nelson Mandela,and even Gani fawenhimi,they undergo far worse challenges than yours,yet today,they have left a blueprint".

"thank you sir"Badejo nodded again and stormed out of the office.
He saw them on the way dancing and interacting happily, the first paper has been written,the much awaited examinations had come at last.

Badawy met Badejo back home in Olode as he came back from the University where he went to see the vice chancellor,Badawy could not hide it again,they burst in to tears as soon as they saw each other,
Jemila walked past them to the verandah and wept bitterly.

1 Like

Re: Short Story Of A Frustrated UNIOSUN Undergraduate by olril17(m): 3:42am On Jan 09, 2018
please don't hesitate to criticise me or correct me where necessary.
Thanks to everyone.
Re: Short Story Of A Frustrated UNIOSUN Undergraduate by olril17(m): 9:06am On Jan 14, 2018
End...I need a constructive critique, please..I want to improve my writing skills.
Re: Short Story Of A Frustrated UNIOSUN Undergraduate by NobodyKnows(m): 4:00pm On Sep 07, 2018
olril17:
End...I need a constructive critique, please..I want to improve my writing skills.
Sai APC.
Oyetola all the way .
Re: Short Story Of A Frustrated UNIOSUN Undergraduate by olril17(m): 4:08pm On Sep 07, 2018
NobodyKnows:
Sai APC. Oyetola all the way .
you are funny. be on your lane while I'm on mine bro... much love.
Re: Short Story Of A Frustrated UNIOSUN Undergraduate by NobodyKnows(m): 4:14pm On Sep 07, 2018
olril17:

you are funny. be on your lane while I'm on mine bro...
much love.
grin grin
You don buy market o.
I must disturb you wella tongue
grin grin.
Na joke o
Re: Short Story Of A Frustrated UNIOSUN Undergraduate by olril17(m): 4:48pm On Mar 10, 2023
olril17:
He wasn't shock when musty accosted him

"Old boy,have you been to school today?"

"No,what happened?" Badejo who has already guessed what musty want to tell him was still hoping its something else.

"Its all on the board,your name was listed among those who owe tuition fees"
Musty concluded and moved past him to the pavement

"How much was there?"

" 400000"
musty replied.

He spit and looked away from musty,his heart thudded, he must had aged ten times over,if he was deeply affected by the news,he kept it away from Musty, the campus jester and gossiper.

"My dad is working on it musty,I should definitely pay before the examination commence"
He pouted and spit again

"Better do,I overheard the dean telling someone over phone that students who owe shall not definitely write the examinations.
Musty replied again.

His heart thudded heavily again,it almost jump out of his mouth,still he seems unaffected.

" But that is bad musty,what is this school turning in to?, it wasn't like this before "

Musty put down the plastic kettle and sigh sympathetically

" Yes,but since they changed the vice chancellor,things has really change in this school"
He concluded.

Badejo hissed and rain curses on the vice chancellor quietly.

"So if a person was not allow to write his examinations, will they conduct his own examinations for him after he pays?"

Musty brushed his hand,rinsed it with water and looked up again.

"Walahi,I tell you,its a most wicked decision, a lot of people who has not paid,it is not their fault at all"

"Its not their fault,we have wicked student leaders in this school,why can't they do something about this,they will not say anything as usual"
Badejo protested In frustration

"Don't blame them Bade,don't you know we have moles among us,some students in this school are hell bent on frustrating the student leaders"

Musty said,brushing his mouth with water and spitting it on the ground

"That is true,but those idiot students should consider people like us,its not our fault we didn't pay"

"Look at you,they want to finish school on time,so they know if the students go on rampage and the school is closed ,it will increase the year they will spend in school"

"And so what? "

He brushed through his hair
"Apart from that some use their tuition fee to do Magic money"

Musty said and laugh hysterically,switching his face from side place to side.

"Those people are very stupid,but the school should know how to separate those who do magic money and those whose it is not their fault they didn't pay"

He was washing his left feet now

"Bade,it will not happened, that will be too tedious for the school to do,the decision is sad,its better to find a way to pay before the deadline"

He walked toward him and zoomed to the "Ali mosque" where the Muslim students perform their prayers .Badejo was mostly grateful, musty didn't notice because he hide quite well,that was a most uncomfortable topic for him,he was lying though,his father is helpless and they will not be able to pay the fees,still he hoped on miracles.

"Badejo,where have you been"
Tokode called from afar angrily "

"Wetin I do you na,why u con dey shout ma name like that"
He always enjoy his pidgin.

"Dey there,dey shout,the dean don dey look for you tete"
Tokode also fired back in pidgin.
Badejo raised his eyes and hold his waist,he could feel his heartbeat,the tension has risen to the highest.

"Why da dean dey look for me,wetin I do am again"

Tokode is a man of little patience.

"I no know oo,he sha wan see you,he don call your number sef,im no go"

"Okay tokode,I go go see am for office on Monday"

Tokode walked past the gate and stopped the motorcycle man.

"Better do,it will not be funny if you don't write exam again this semester o,don't joke with this information o"

He was already on the bike,Badejo was relived,he tilted his head,and went back to his room,which he shared with three other roommates,he considered them annoying,he did not like them for anything,but they do not speak well of him too. If he can tolerate the others,he does not like Rinwa and Rinwa has told him severely he does not think highly of him too.
There was even a scuffle between them weeks ago as the two of them could not hide their disgust.

"Cass,tell Rinwa never to talk to me like that again in his life"
Rinwa was silent at first,then he hissed.

"Cass,can you see that? Is it me that nincompoop and half trained idiot is hissing at?"

Cass closed his contract textbook,took a measured look at Badejo and nodded secretly. Badejo is the menance and trouble maker of this room,he did not regard him,but he always find a way to tolerate him the way others,especially,Rinwa could not. Their room hadd been nicknamed "War room"
And Badejo had play a role to in that.

"Rinwa, you sef, you should know how to control yourself"

(1) (Reply)

The Trouble With Kissing Him / Old But Legendary Stories On Nairaland / Who Are Your Favourite Nigerian Authors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.