Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,805 members, 7,798,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:08 AM

Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? (4575 Views)

As A Married Man, Do You Sometimes Dream Of Leaving Your Family & Disappearing? / Woman Abandons Her Child At A Catholic Church In Delta (Photo) / Face Masks, Hand Sanitizers Included In Bride Price List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by MYSELF2018: 6:19pm On Jan 09, 2018
Good afternoon to you all, Please I need your advice.

I love everything about this guy and it is almost leading to the altar but a problem is about separating us. My Man is an Igbo man and a Roman Catholic, I am a Yoruba lady attending a pentecostal church. My Man is saying that he can't go to any other church for his wedding and it must be in his catholic church, He says their tradition in Igbo land forbid them from doing wedding in the brides church, whereas Yoruba tradition says that the wedding must hold in my Father's church not the groom's church as to give honour to my parents.

My man also said that he won't be recognized as a Catholic if he should go and do his wedding in pentecostal church. I have been having mixed feelings ever since this issue started. Please I need your input and advice.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by sinaj(f): 6:23pm On Jan 09, 2018
Hehe

Just get ready to wed in catholic church or forget abt the wedding if his mum worships in catholic church too.
You are evn lucky he hasnt converted you yet.

4 Likes

Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jan 09, 2018
sinaj:
Hehe

Just get ready to wed in catholic church or forget abt the wedding if his mum worships in catholic church too.

What are you trying to do, cause confusion?
Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Brooke60(f): 6:32pm On Jan 09, 2018
To settle this, go to registry.
Very Simple

5 Likes

Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by dingbang(m): 6:32pm On Jan 09, 2018
Sinaj is right..

4 Likes

Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by sinaj(f): 6:35pm On Jan 09, 2018
wilsonreuben:

What are you trying to do, cause confusion?
what am trying to do? Letting her know that Catholics are strict when it comes to wedding or rites just like Jehovah witness nd some other churches.

If you think otherwise, share your own opinion nd move on.

11 Likes

Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 6:39pm On Jan 09, 2018
Brooke60:
To settle this, go to registry. Very Simple
This is the best advise.
Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jan 09, 2018
sinaj:
what am trying to do? Letting her know that Catholics are strict when it comes to wedding or rites just like Jehovah witness nd some other churches.

If you think otherwise, share your own opinion nd move on.

Let her just convert. Who send her to go fall in love with a Catholic.

Just so you know, the wedding can be done in her church if both parties agrees and the couple will also agree with the church that their children will become catholics(they will be baptised and brought up in the catholic church)

2 Likes

Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Wisebird22(m): 7:05pm On Jan 09, 2018
go to catholic church and register ur bands of marriage,notify d church dt u guys will do d weddin in ur church(protestant)u will attend marriag clases at catholic church/marriage at protestant and firstmass at catholic,(she authomatically bcoms a catholic member)
Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by HallaDaTruth: 7:15pm On Jan 09, 2018
You don't have to marry in catholic or pentecostal church, both of you should go to white garment church. Love is what matters

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by MYSELF2018: 8:33pm On Jan 09, 2018
sinaj:
Hehe

Thanks alot.Hmmm, this is a very serious issue, his mum worships in catholic church too. I am just confused

1 Like

Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by MYSELF2018: 8:35pm On Jan 09, 2018
Brooke60:
To settle this, go to registry.
Very Simple
I have brought up this issue too. He said registry is different from catholic recognized wedding.
Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by MYSELF2018: 8:38pm On Jan 09, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
This is the best advise.
Thank you ma. I have said it several times but he said ...Catholic wedding is the one that we must do. He even suggested that he wont mind coming down to my place as my tradition if my Dad can arrange with a Catholic church to hold the wedding here . But my Family is not attending Catholic and they won't support that suggestion from him
Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by MYSELF2018: 8:42pm On Jan 09, 2018
wilsonreuben:

Just so you know, the wedding can be done in her church if both parties agrees and the couple will also agree with the church that their children will become catholics(they will be baptised and brought up in the catholic church)
I fell in love before I realized this issue. I have agreed to join him in catholic after wedding. But the issue on ground is the church that the wedding will take place !!

1 Like

Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by crackhaus: 8:43pm On Jan 09, 2018
Both of you look like you're not ready to get married yet. Keep arguing church...

9 Likes

Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jan 09, 2018
MYSELF2018:
I fell in love before I realized this issue. I have agreed to join him in catholic after wedding. But the issue on ground is the church that the wedding will take place !!

If you have agreed to join the Catholic faith then do the wedding in the Catholic church. You will get more blessing because you are not divided.

Don't let religion scatter what God want to join together.

He is the man, you are under him(you were equal in the beginning until ate from that tree and gave him to eat).

If he says it should be done in the Catholic church let it be as he has said.

Take my advice, don't think twice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 9:03pm On Jan 09, 2018
MYSELF2018:
Thank you ma. I have said it several times but he said ...Catholic wedding is the one that we must do. He even suggested that he wont mind coming down to my place as my tradition if my Dad can arrange with a Catholic church to hold the wedding here . But my Family is not attending Catholic and they won't support that suggestion from him
There is nothing a little discussion cannot solve both families should meet and be more open minded and I am sure you can reach an agreement denomination should not be a basis for disagreement and Happy married life to you in advance.
Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by chinene1(f): 9:16pm On Jan 09, 2018
Like someone said. Go through the motions of attending marriage classes and bans of marriage. Then after the court wedding, have a blessing of the marriage certificate in his church. That way, his marriage to you will be recognized by his church. Then you can have your white wedding in your church. It's a long process sha but it may be able to satisfy everyone.
Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by PSTEMMA1960(m): 8:03am On Jan 10, 2018
MYSELF2018:

I love everything about this guy and it is almost leading to the altar but a problem is about separating us. My Man is an Igbo man and a Roman Catholic, I am a Yoruba lady attending a pentecostal church. My Man is saying that he can't go to any other church for his wedding and it must be in his catholic church, He says their tradition in Igbo land forbid them from doing wedding in the brides church, whereas Yoruba tradition says that the wedding must hold in my Father's church not the groom's church as to give honour to my parents.

My man also said that he won't be recognized as a Catholic if he should go and do his wedding in pentecostal church. I have been having mixed feelings ever since this issue started. Please I need your input and advice.

Thanks
to be honest with u, most igbo familes are born and brought up in catholic, secondly it's easier to convert a muslim into penticostal than to convert a catholic..

my advice to u is this, if u truly love him and want to marry him, then u have to listen to him, because after ur wedding wether u like it or not u are following him to catholic..

bt on the other, if u feel that u can't go to catholic, then call it of..

bt as a pastor i can tell u that there is no church in heaven, it does nt matter where u worship, bt what matters is how u worship..

best of luck..

2 Likes

Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Exponental(m): 8:51am On Jan 10, 2018
I think this is an Igbo-Catholic modified doctrine. It is not purely Catholic. I have attended weddings of male Catholics in other churches. My Aunty's was one!

2 Likes

Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by NoToPile: 11:34am On Jan 10, 2018
Miss there are about 2 factors here.

Church
Igbo/ yoruba culture

On the issue of church to wed, culturally in yoruba land it's the brides father or brides church(depending on circumstances)that the wedding is done, the point is the brides family are the ones that make arrangements for wedding both trad and white.

It seems Igbos have no problem with the wedding holding in the man's church culturally and then you now add catholic/ penstecostalism to the mix.

So your people will see your hubby's request as strange which is expected, most yoruba dad's will never allow it because they will tell you it is the man that is coming to marry the woman.

While your hubby's people will see it as no big deal.

My friends wedding was stalled for more than a year same issue

Bride- yoruba/ baptist
Groom- igbo catholic

The grooms mum was the fore runner of the you must come to the east for the church wedding and the yoruba people were like we don't do it that way where we come from, it's you guys that must come to southwest in our own church it was not a small matter.

I did notice that other Igbos of other denominations really don't have an issue with this it's only the igbo catholics that insist the wedding must be in the grooms church, it sounds more like culture than the Catholic doctrine.

nobody was right or wrong, it's just the way things are done differently.

Madam you have a lot on your hands, you won't want to hurt your family and he wouldn't want to hurt his and unfortunately nobody is right or wrong it's just the perspective each is coming from.

1 Like

Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by estheremma(f): 1:13pm On Jan 10, 2018
ok,im catholic we do something called mixed marriage,that is marriage with ousiders,we can marry them n allow them continue their church.See with ur fiance pls,if he doez not wed in d catholic fold,he ceases to be a communicant,may not participate in major things.If u love him,do a mixed marriage for peace
Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:29pm On Jan 10, 2018
MYSELF2018:

Thanks

let me tell you the simple truth. your man is trying to help you, if you are married in his Church he is sacramentally tied to you and cannot divorce you without a serious back lash from his Church.

let me explain.

Catholics consider marriage to be a sacrament... that means it is an effective means of grace by which God sanctify and bless a union of man and wife, for us that Union is so deep and that it mirrors the Union of Jesus and his Church... thus marriage now has an intrinsic Christian character....that it becomes indissoluble, stable and self given... I don't even know if you will understand this... it is not found in Protestant theology. you may check the thread for Catholics if you really wish to understand it.

to cut a long story short a Catholic is only recognized are sacramentaly married if he weds in his Church, or seeks and receive dispensation to be married in your Church.

without this, his Church will not recognized this so called marriage and it will be as if you guys are just living together, he won't be able to receive communion. in fact If you guys divorce tomorrow his Church would not even care because he isn't considered validly married.
this is very serious.

he needs a dispensation to get married in your Church or you marry in his....

it is important the guy isn't trying to be rigid... where a Catholic marries is a very valid concern.
Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:36pm On Jan 10, 2018
MYSELF2018:
I have brought up this issue too. He said registry is different from catholic recognized wedding.
registry isn't recognized as sacramental marriage in the Catholic Church... in fact he won't be allowed to receive communion

1 Like

Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:38pm On Jan 10, 2018
MYSELF2018:
ask him about a dispensation... he need to see a priest and his bishop.

but his family won't like it and it will take time.
Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:39pm On Jan 10, 2018
wilsonreuben:

they need a dispensation to do that

1 Like

Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:40pm On Jan 10, 2018
chinene1:
Like someone said. Go through the motions of attending marriage classes and bans of marriage. Then after the court wedding, have a blessing of the marriage certificate in his church. That way, his marriage to you will be recognized by his church. Then you can have your white wedding in your church. It's a long process sha but it may be able to satisfy everyone.
this may work...
blessing the marriage in both Church
Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:42pm On Jan 10, 2018
Wisebird22:
go to catholic church and register ur bands of marriage,notify d church dt u guys will do d weddin in ur church(protestant)u will attend marriag clases at catholic church/marriage at protestant and firstmass at catholic,(she authomatically bcoms a catholic member)
she doesn't automatically become a Catholic member... that is very nuanced
Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:43pm On Jan 10, 2018
Exponental:
I think this is an Igbo-Catholic modified doctrine. It is not purely Catholic. I have attended weddings of male Catholics in other churches. My Aunty's was one!
it is purely Catholic... it is even serious enough to stop communion. there is a way to do it, it is called dispensation
Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:44pm On Jan 10, 2018
estheremma:
ok,im catholic we do something called mixed marriage,that is marriage with ousiders,we can marry them n allow them continue their church.See with ur fiance pls,if he doez not wed in d catholic fold,he ceases to be a communicant,may not participate in major things.If u love him,do a mixed marriage for peace
amen
Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:45pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
This is the best advise.
not really, registry doesn't work for Catholics
Re: Can a Catholic Man do his wedding in bride's pentecostal church? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:46pm On Jan 10, 2018
NoToPile:
Miss there are about 2 factors here.

Church
Igbo/ yoruba culture

On the issue of church to wed, culturally in yoruba land it's the brides father or brides church(depending on circumstances)that the wedding is done, the point is the brides family are the ones that make arrangements for wedding both trad and white.

It seems Igbos have no problem with the wedding holding in the man's church culturally and then you now add catholic/ penstecostalism to the mix.

So your people will see your hubby's request as strange which is expected, most yoruba dad's will never allow it because they will tell you it is the man that is coming to marry the woman.

While your hubby's people will see it as no big deal.

My friends wedding was stalled for more than a year same issue

Bride- yoruba/ baptist
Groom- igbo catholic

The grooms mum was the fore runner of the you must come to the east for the church wedding and the yoruba people were like we don't do it that way where we come from, it's you guys that must come to southwest in our own church it was not a small matter.

I did notice that other Igbos of other denominations really don't have an issue with this it's only the igbo catholics that insist the wedding must be in the grooms church, it sounds more like culture than the Catholic doctrine.

nobody was right or wrong, it's just the way things are done differently.

Madam you have a lot on your hands, you won't want to hurt your family and he wouldn't want to hurt his and unfortunately nobody is right or wrong it's just the perspective each is coming from.
it is doctrine but there is a process to escape it

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I'm 8 Months Pregnant With Hymen Still Intact, Can't Bear To Be Disvirgined / Would You Marry A Gurl/Guy You Met At Party Dancing/Fighting / Wife Sleeps On Same Bed With A Pal, can I trust her?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.