Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,112 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:34 PM

Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire (38684 Views)

Do We Have Any Self-Made Company In Nigeria That Can Be Bought For $40 Billion? / Austin Russell Is Forbes Youngest Self-Made Billionaire (Photos) / Elizabeth Holmes: Rise And Fall Of The World’s Youngest Female Billionaire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by tundefamuyide(m): 1:26pm On Jan 10, 2018
ayoncox:
Evan Spiegel of Snapchat at 24 is the youngest not this guy...
I could have been one of them if I was over there. Nigeria not making things right for thinkers and innovators like me

Buddy, Seun grew up here, Mark Essien, Jason and Iyin Aboyeji all grew up here. It is not where you live, but how you live. It's not too late, if you intend to join Spiegel or Collison, all you need do is get yourself focused on something and give your all to it.

1 Like

Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by iamrealdeji(m): 1:28pm On Jan 10, 2018
safarigirl:
even the likes of David Beckham, George Clooney, P-Diddy, 50 Cent have made it in the long run. That guy no too reason him talk
Remove 50 cent from the list sis. dude is said to be broke. most entertainers end up to be nothing later on because they live for their status,they maintain their celebrity status and very few are business minded. its very difficult to be in sport or entertainment line and be business minded,they mostly invest their money and the business crumbles because they are not business minded and they're addicted to spending lavish,they rake in enough cash as earnings more than anybody in the world but on the long run,they squander it buy some business men earned peanuts and use it to set up business and after years,they become way richer than the sportsmen or entertainer they started at the same time with. mindset and profession differs . business men multiply money since they have no earnings they rely on,sportsmen and entertainers have lavish money since they have earnings they rely on and that's why they're not the richest people in the world but they are the biggest earners in the world

1 Like

Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by iamrealdeji(m): 1:29pm On Jan 10, 2018
safarigirl:
even the likes of David Beckham, George Clooney, P-Diddy, 50 Cent have made it in the long run. That guy no too reason him talk
Remove 50 cent from the list sis. dude is said to be broke. most entertainers end up to be nothing later on because they live for their status,they maintain their celebrity status and very few are business minded. its very difficult to be in sport or entertainment line and be business minded,they mostly invest their money and the business crumbles because they are not business minded and they're addicted to spending lavish,they rake in enough cash as earnings more than anybody in the world but on the long run,they squander it but some business men earned peanuts and use it to set up business and after years,they become way richer than the sportsmen or entertainer they started at the same time with. mindset and profession differs . business men multiply money since they have no earnings they rely on,sportsmen and entertainers have lavish money since they have earnings they rely on and that's why they're not the richest people in the world but they are the biggest earners in the world
Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by safarigirl(f): 1:37pm On Jan 10, 2018
iamrealdeji:
Remove 50 cent from the list sis. dude is said to be broke. most entertainers end up to be nothing later on because they live for their status,they maintain their celebrity status and very few are business minded. its very difficult to be in sport or entertainment line and be business minded,they mostly invest their money and the business crumbles because they are not business minded and they're addicted to spending lavish,they rake in enough cash as earnings more than anybody in the world but on the long run,they squander it but some business men earned peanuts and use it to set up business and after years,they become way richer than the sportsmen or entertainer they started at the same time with. mindset and profession differs . business men multiply money since they have no earnings they rely on,sportsmen and entertainers have lavish money since they have earnings they rely on and that's why they're not the richest people in the world but they are the biggest earners in the world
who said 50 Cent is broke? 50 Cent is the Executive Producer of Power, he recently got a new contract to continue production and the Contract is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. On top that, he also has a new show coming out. So, anywhere you heard that 50 Cent is broke, issa lie

He filed for bankruptcy two years ago, but that was only to avoid paying Rick Ross' ex for defamation. He was never bankrupt, but the law can be manipulated.

50 Cent is not broke at all.

2 Likes

Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by savagefinder: 1:41pm On Jan 10, 2018
decatalyst:
E be like say there is something about being 'a school drop out' in advance countries. In Africa, you automatically become a street urchin in most cases.

"dropped out to focus on his business"

You don't drop out without anything at hand or chasing a dream
Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by dlaw70(m): 1:48pm On Jan 10, 2018
decatalyst:
E be like say there is something about being 'a school drop out' in advance countries. In Africa, you automatically become a street urchin in most cases.

orji uzo kalu is an ABU drop out
Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by Tozara(m): 1:53pm On Jan 10, 2018
bigboyobi:
Na wa O!
for those of you that have been saying that dropouts in Nigeria are worthless or they are doomed for life.. for your information, the owner of Nairaland is a dropout of Obafemi Awolowo University but he is way richer and responsible than anyone can think of. This Nairaland forum is fetching money on a daily basis!
So everything boils down to your tenacity and determination and not some geographical location whatsoever.
Your post contains a trillion atoms of truth, and I get your point. But environment does MATTER, 'cause it determines the kind of support network, opportunities, resources, and privileges that would be available to the person with ideas and talent. It's not all about merit and determination alone.

That some people managed to ascend doesn't mean there is no ceiling blocking breakthrough. The fact remains that the meritorious person born/living in America who has ideas has MORE OPPORTUNITIES than one born and raised in Nigeria.

Imagine if Albert Einstein or Richard Feynman had been raised in Nigeria. You mean they would have come about their ideas and successfully come through with their theories in the Physics department of a Nigerian University, with the caliber of lecturers that abound in such department? Of course, it's not impossible, but it's highly unlikely.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by iamrealdeji(m): 1:59pm On Jan 10, 2018
safarigirl:
who said 50 Cent is broke? 50 Cent is the Executive Producer of Power, he recently got a new contract to continue production and the Contract is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. On top that, he also has a new show coming out. So, anywhere you heard that 50 Cent is broke, issa lie

He filed for bankruptcy two years ago, but that was only to avoid paying Rick Ross' ex for defamation. He was never bankrupt, but the law can be manipulated.

OK good for him as I've always been a fan of his but that isn't my point,my point is that Business men are money multipliers amidst low earnings and prudent because they have nobody to spend money to impress,sportsmen and entertainers are money spenders because they have millions of people to impress by spending lavishly and they are the biggest earners but have financial issues when their career nose dives or is over
Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by iamrealdeji(m): 2:14pm On Jan 10, 2018
Oyinbos can give their children anything "Collision" ha ha. unlike in Africa when people are named with prayer names like Oluwagbenga (God lifts me up),Adewale(Crown comes home),Omoronike(Child meets the person to bless him/her). Yet,highest percentage of Nigerians are poor and non achievers upon all the prayer names but these oyinbos would be named "Stone,Collision,Cooper,Berry,Green,Jack,Sand,Tiger,Woods,Banks,Etc and they're the richest people in the world and biggest achievers and some Islamic Clerics and Pastors would be telling me your child would turn out to be whatever you name him. Mtcheeeww
Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by InvertedHammer: 2:26pm On Jan 10, 2018
decatalyst:

Africans especially Nigerians do not understand education. The main yardstick for measuring the quality of education in Nigerian remains one's ability to read and speak impeccable English. Great nations like China, Germany, France, etc do not speak English. Britain taught English to Nigerians to bridge the communication gap while Nigerians turn around to make it the center point of education. Engineers turned technicians, doctors turned technicians, lawyers that cannot write ordinary contracts. Yet everyone speaks English well.
The foundation is weak. Throw in sick government and conniving religious leaders who sell miracles and picking calls, then you get a perfect stagnant nation.
/
Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by uvalued(m): 2:30pm On Jan 10, 2018
Hnd vs university clowns take note....name drop out... Its not certificate but what you reproduce between your ears grin
Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by Cocolatti(m): 2:33pm On Jan 10, 2018
eezeribe:
It's the Self-made and successful entrepreneurs that inspire me,whether drop out or 'drop in'....
Not entertainers or sports men,who end up with nothing in the long run...
Entertainers and sports people are still better than our kleptocratic political billionaires and also better than Dangote whose business empire was built through political patronage.
Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jan 10, 2018
Tozara:
Your post contains a trillion atoms of truth, and I get your point. But environment does MATTER, 'cause it determines the kind of support network, opportunities, resources, and privileges that would be available to the person with ideas and talent. It's not all about merit and determination alone.

That some people managed to ascend doesn't mean there is no ceiling blocking breakthrough. The fact remains that the meritorious person born/living in America who has ideas has MORE OPPORTUNITIES than one born and raised in Nigeria.

Imagine if Albert Einstein or Richard Feynman had been raised in Nigeria. You mean they would have come about their ideas and successfully come through with their theories in the Physics department of a Nigerian University, with the caliber of lecturers that abound in such department? Of course, it's not impossible, but it's highly unlikely.

The worst part is that those great minds existed before the internet. . . so their ideas would be thrown out the window by arrogant professors instead of researched on. And theyd have no avenue to share them with others except they could raise money to travel. Things are quite easier for us today, and while there are still millions if juicy business opportunities in Nigeria, the environment is a very big retarding factor.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by adecz: 2:55pm On Jan 10, 2018
Here in Nigeria,
People are waiting for 'Open heavens'
miracle jobs, & supernatural visitations.

Others specialize in Yahoo-yahoo, skelewu,
pipeline vandalization, human trafficking
or other cheap confidence scams to "make
it"

while in other places, youths & adults
transform their lives by using their God
given brain & educational knowledge.

Blackman, una never begin suffer yet...

Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by odizeey(m): 2:58pm On Jan 10, 2018
iamrealdeji:
far richer than E-money Hushpuppi,Davido,etc put together and he's dressed in a tweed jacket.
Oyinbos are way different from blacks in thinking.
so I nor fit wear cloth wen I like because I won look humble?
Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by Chukazu: 2:58pm On Jan 10, 2018
decatalyst:

Because Africans value "paper qualification" than raw talents...
Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jan 10, 2018
Olalekank:
From comments, many are criticizing Nigerians and saying that we don't have the environment to become great like many of these young entrepreneurs in the US.

Go on Quora and you'd hear of how many startups in the US fail, we only get to see the successful ones! Dont forget also, it's not everyone who drop out thar succeed, it's a risk and some of them succeed.

The problem with the Nigerian youth is laziness, we might not have everything at our disposal but we are being mediocre just because we think we lack the various resources needed to run a startup.

The greatest thing you have is yourself and the greatest investment you can also make is in yourself!

Pls this 2018, You need to change the way u reason. As far as i'm concerned, most Nigeria citizens are industrious not lazy. Pls I don't wanna hear that lazy shit part again after so much frustration the nation has rendered us In.
Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by odizeey(m): 3:07pm On Jan 10, 2018
safarigirl:

dat guy just came from the past.
Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by Olalekank(m): 3:20pm On Jan 10, 2018
Holamscoh:

Pls this 2018, You need to change the way u reason. As far as i'm concerned, most Nigeria citizens are industrious not lazy. Pls I don't wanna hear that lazy shit part again after so much frustration the nation has rendered us In.
I'm sorry if I pressed the wrong button but the truth has to be said. Many just lie still booking games (nairabet) and some others go into yahoo. Some others who have just finished from the university sit down at home.

BTW, the investment I was talking about is developing one's self in the various sought skills (coding, entrepreneurship, reading of development books, etc).

The fact that we are in a new year doesn't mean that people have also transitioned from lazy to hardworking

1 Like

Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by Olalekank(m): 3:20pm On Jan 10, 2018
Holamscoh:

Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by noziz(m): 3:45pm On Jan 10, 2018
kikio1992:
Meet John Collison, who can today be referred to as the World's youngest self-made billionaire, after he dropped out from Havard to focus on his business.

When people look down on you, and think crazy of that bright idea you have got, just keep moving and don't lose hope. The story of this young man is sure to inspire you, and make you realise that you can make it in life regardless of your educational qualification.

John Collison, the cofounder and president of Stripe, is the world's youngest self-made billionaire at 27, and you can do the same, there is no limits to the heights we can attain in life.

John started Stripe, designed to transform the way people make online payments, with his older brother when he was just 19.

Originally from a small town in Ireland, he came to the US to attend Harvard until he dropped out to focus on Stripe in Silicon Valley, and now he has hit Silicon Gold.

John Collison has a net worth of $1.1 billion today, after Stripe's $9 billion valuation in the year 2016. Today, Collison enjoys flying planes, running, and hiking with members of the Stripe team.

http://leofirms.com/meet-john-collison-havard-dropout-worlds-youngest-self-made-billionaire/

he made a great decision by dropping out of school. he switched from E and S quadrants to B and I quadrants where he will become richer with little or no tax. he now has a constant cash flow where money works for him!!!

Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by chuksjuve(m): 4:21pm On Jan 10, 2018
harrwix:

Bless you too bro
Imagine how much is being splashed on our exes; yet entrepreneurs are searching for funds for their little startups
God help us

It can only be God..

Safe man
Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by Pataricatering(f): 5:22pm On Jan 10, 2018
Lol . I hadn’t laughed all day , thanks .
decatalyst:
Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by Comrade1410: 5:31pm On Jan 10, 2018
Good one my broda man n keep it up
Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by Rozaytee: 5:42pm On Jan 10, 2018
iamrealdeji:
doomed? Africans with this ape mentality sha. no wonder why there are so many people graduating and landing into poverty when people like you think getting a job with your degree is what assures you of a better future. drop outs,pass and 3rd class grads make it bigger than anybody even here in Nigeria. a boy that committed suicide for having bad grades definitely listened to people like you. destiny has no correlation with grade,dropping out or not. there are too many poor graduates in Nigeria and many will be never be rich,many will rely on pension later in life,many are relying on unpaid pensions to eat now when even illiterates can pay their salaries for years. how can one be more doomed? bad grades and dropping out mostly make people extremely determined since they have no certificate to rely on. so stop thinking black.
so on point...u have a matured mind...

1 Like

Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by STARKACE(m): 5:55pm On Jan 10, 2018
ayoncox:
Evan Spiegel of Snapchat at 24 is the youngest not this guy...
I could have been one of them if I was over there. Nigeria not making things right for thinkers and innovators like me
Spiegel is 28, he was born 1990,he hold the position before this dude displaced him
Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by Afam4eva(m): 6:50pm On Jan 10, 2018
I'm sure some Olabisi Onabanjo University students who are reading this are also thinking of dropping out.

1 Like

Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by Afam4eva(m): 6:53pm On Jan 10, 2018
iamrealdeji:
I think the point that you're trying to make is that people whose incomes are not symmetrical with their input tend to lavish their money more than people who actually sweat for every dime. That's why Musicians, Sports men and Actors are more likely to go broke later in life. That's not to say that there aren't some people from this group that are business savvy.

1 Like

Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by decatalyst(m): 7:08pm On Jan 10, 2018
Pataricatering:
Lol . I hadn’t laughed all day , thanks .

...a pleasure, dear. wink
Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by iamrealdeji(m): 7:31pm On Jan 10, 2018
Afam4eva:

I think the point that you're trying to make is that people whose incomes are not symmetrical with their input tend to lavish their money more than people who actually sweat for every dime. That's why Musicians, Sports men and Actors are more likely to go broke later in life. That's not to say that there aren't some people from this group that are business savvy.
yeah,and upon the fact that they have the biggest opportunities as biggest earners,the richest of that category isn't worth more than 2billion dollars(Michael Jordan is the richest sportsman in the world and not worth up to 2b dollars, world Richest actor isn't a billionaire,world Richest rapper isn't a billionaire,world richest singer isn't a billionaire either) compared to people that started with close to nothing but are worth almost 100billion dollars today. there are many business men that started with a little but can buy all the richest entertainers and sportsmen put together today. its like that all over the world.
In Nigeria you see many musicians and sportsmen that used to be big earners and spenders but today surpassed by business men that started with 500k or less around the same time or after. its not like these entertainers and celebs don't have business sense too but its impossible for them to keep business rules like prudence,monitoring, dedication,etc which draws them back. no famous celeb or sportsman wants to be seen not riding and maintaining nice cars,flying first class or private,wearing blings,etc but one must avoid all that to succeed in business. I'm sure Amokachi was richer than Otedola in the 90's but to keep up that celebrity lifestyle isn't easy and today he isn't in the same level with Otedola even though its sure he might have invested more money into businesses than Otedola but its not about how much you invest in business but how business minded and prudent you are. Who is Otedola impressing to be spending lavishly when he started his business,even up till now,he might choose to use a simple car or phone and people would praise him for it but if a celeb or sportsman tries it,people would label him as broke especially of its persistent,remember Azadus paying okada man. So,full time business men will always be far richer than entertainers and sportsmen. Fame itself is very costly to maintain,you have to spend to nurture it and that would decrease your money doubling strength.

1 Like

Re: Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire by Bondesniger(m): 7:32pm On Jan 10, 2018
i AM LOADING TO MAKE AFRICA LIST SOON IN JUST A MATTER OF MONTHS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help / Prince Olisa, Arthur Eze’s Son Dedicates First Son (Photos) / The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.