Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,704 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls (1195 Views)

Do U Have Pups U Find Difficult To Sell / If U Have A Parvo Related Case Or your dog Is Sick...a Vet Available In Ibadan / U Have To Read This NOW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by bobbysaxy: 11:31am On Jan 10, 2018
Rearing of turkey is one aspect of farming I wud love to invest on...Pls kindly state wat is needed to be in place and the type of specie that wud be more profitable.... wat is obtainable from the business if we kick off with like 100 day old turkey?...their feeding,care,precautions and other stuffs I need to know...I read a lot online about them...but I still need to hear from experienced people...Pls share with me...tnx so much...
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by adisabarber(m): 12:29pm On Jan 10, 2018
Just request for a proper broiler vaccination and medication schedule and follow it religiously. You can feed them with broiler starter for 6 weeks then change to grower. As for the breed, I only buy the local breed because they are easier to rear and are more resistant to diseases in my opinion (you can buy 100 and record no mortality). The major challenge will be brooding, once you can get past that you are good to go. You also need a little luck because females don't grow as big as the males so if you get more females than males it will affect your profit.
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by bobbysaxy: 12:35pm On Jan 10, 2018
adisabarber:
Just request for a proper broiler vaccination and medication schedule and follow it religiously. You can feed them with broiler starter for 6 weeks then change to grower. As for the breed, I only buy the local breed because they are easier to rear and are more resistant to diseases in my opinion (you can buy 100 and record no mortality). The major challenge will be brooding, once you can get past that you are good to go. You also need a little luck because females don't grow as big as the males so if you get more females than males it will affect your profit.
I can buy 70males and 30females
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by adisabarber(m): 12:41pm On Jan 10, 2018
bobbysaxy:
I can buy 70males and 30females

You can't specify (according to my supplier). It's what you get you take. Although I always get about 70% males, I still have a feeling some day I might not be so lucky. You can check agric section for contacts of reputable suppliers and ask for more info.
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by bobbysaxy: 12:43pm On Jan 10, 2018
adisabarber:

You can't specify (according to my supplier). It's what you get you take. Although I always get about 70% males, I still have a feeling some day I might not be so lucky. You can check agric section for contacts of reputable suppliers and ask for more info.
ok my boss
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by bobbysaxy: 5:53pm On Jan 10, 2018
More comments pls
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by 14teenK: 6:52pm On Jan 10, 2018
@adisabarber, when you say brooding, you mean that they will naturally try to hatch their eggs themselves, cos it seems mine is heading to that direction.
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by adisabarber(m): 7:05pm On Jan 10, 2018
Brooding is providing chicks with an environment with the right temperature, similar to what they will get from their mother.

14teenK:
@adisabarber, when you say brooding, you mean that they will naturally try to hatch their eggs themselves, cos it seems mine is heading to that direction.
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by 14teenK: 7:16pm On Jan 10, 2018
adisabarber:
Brooding is providing chicks with an environment with the right temperature, similar to what they will get from their mother.

the thing now is that mine, a midget white turkey has laid over 13egss it goes back to the same nest everyday and deposits one, I had a male before, I guess they did their thing. My question now is when would it start incubating the egg, what is the maximum number of eggs and how do I even know the eggs are fertilized?? PS I have no equipment
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by adisabarber(m): 7:38pm On Jan 10, 2018
I have never had any turkey that successfully hatched her eggs. 1 sat on her eggs for almost 6 weeks, nothing happened. Since then, I eat all my turkey eggs and buy DOC when I need them. You can use candling method to check for fertilized eggs. Google it, it's not really difficult.

14teenK:
the thing now is that mine, a midget white turkey has laid over 13 eggs it goes back to the same nest everyday and deposits one, I had a male before, I guess they did their thing. My question now is when would it start incubating the egg, what is the maximum number of eggs and how do I even know the eggs are fertilized?? PS I have no equipment
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by bobbysaxy: 8:01pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ok...is d egg better than. That of chicken...sweeter?
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by 14teenK: 8:18pm On Jan 10, 2018
adisabarber:
I have never had any turkey that successfully hatched her eggs. 1 sat on her eggs for almost 6 weeks, nothing happened. Since then, I eat all my turkey eggs and buy DOC when I need them. You can use candling method to check for fertilized eggs. Google it, it's not really difficult.

what is doc and were your eggs fertilized and yet didn't hatch?. ...this is really a bummer.
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by Jungpablo: 11:20pm On Jan 10, 2018
bobbysaxy:
Ok...is d egg better than. That of chicken...sweeter?

lol Bobby yu funny....... sweeter
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by Jungpablo: 11:20pm On Jan 10, 2018
14teenK:
what is doc and were your eggs fertilized and yet didn't hatch?. ...this is really a bummer.

Day old chicks I guess
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by ugo4u: 1:49am On Jan 11, 2018
adisabarber:

My turkey has hatched about 4sets of eggs... Though not all at a particular time .i.e It lays up to 40eggs I remove like 25 and leave 15 that it can properly cover and it hatches at least 10 chicks..
NB I started Turkey bjz with just a male and female now I have about 12 giant turkeys thanks to the Mama Turkey
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by bobbysaxy: 11:01am On Jan 11, 2018
ugo4u:

My turkey has hatched about 4sets of eggs... Though not all at a particular time .i.e It lays up to 40eggs I remove like 25 and leave 15 that it can properly cover and it hatches at least 10 chicks..
NB I started Turkey bjz with just a male and female now I have about 12 giant turkeys thanks to the Mama Turkey
wat breed of turkey? Can we see pictures?
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by babyboy4every1: 1:38pm On Jan 11, 2018
You take your turkey eggs to a hatchery close to you every week where you pay 70 naira per egg and they will give you date for the collection of your poult.
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by ugo4u: 2:39pm On Jan 11, 2018
bobbysaxy:
wat breed of turkey? Can we see pictures?
Local turkey
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by Amalunweze2017: 1:20pm On Jan 13, 2018
From my experience on foreign turkey if you are getting few DOC poults you might have to get some chickens to encourage them
bobbysaxy:
Rearing of turkey is one aspect of farming I wud love to invest on...Pls kindly state wat is needed to be in place and the type of specie that wud be more profitable.... wat is obtainable from the business if we kick off with like 100 day old turkey?...their feeding,care,precautions and other stuffs I need to know...I read a lot online about them...but I still need to hear from experienced people...Pls share with me...tnx so much...
to start eating properly. The vaccination apart from the regular Lasota and gumboro you would have to give them fowl pox vaccine at about 6 weeks. A little more calcium and vitamins would be needed also at about 6 weeks. Very important you must make sure you have the market cause they eat a lot and not so many people can afford them. My turkeys laid loads of eggs but none were fertile, I don't think the males with their size were able to do a good job.
Re: If U Have Great Experience In Turkey Rearing.pls Share Here.proffesionals Pls by babyboy4every1: 10:03pm On Jan 13, 2018
Amalunweze2017:
From my experience on foreign turkey if you are getting few DOC poults you might have to get some chickens to encourage them to start eating properly. The vaccination apart from the regular Lasota and gumboro you would have to give them fowl pox vaccine at about 6 weeks. A little more calcium and vitamins would be needed also at about 6 weeks. Very important you must make sure you have the market cause they eat a lot and not so many people can afford them. My turkeys laid loads of eggs but none were fertile, I don't think the males with their size were able to do a good job.
U are very correct, some chicks should be put among them (day old foreign turkey) otherwise they would refuse to eat. Also, u need to help them cross cos they wont cross themselves. Those eggs u picked werent fertiled.

(1) (Reply)

Imported Adult Male Slant Back German Shepherd / 6weeks Old Both Sex Rottweiler Pups Available / 7 Months Old Male Serbian Cat For Sell .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.