Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,898 members, 7,806,623 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:17 PM

How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online (21919 Views)

9 Ways To Get The Best Deal When Shopping For Christmas / 5 Return Policies You Should Know When Shopping Online / Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online by haryomikun(m): 9:45pm On Jan 10, 2018
obaataaokpaewu:
It shouldn't be so. What if someone uses another person's card on the site without permission?
Some middleman payment sites ask for Security only. Some ask for pin. It varies tho..

You're still protected by your OTP in the end
Re: How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online by linearity: 9:58pm On Jan 10, 2018
Xisnin:

Are you willing to try it on your card?
If a website is requesting for OTP, it must be a reputable website, however , there are millions of websites
on the internet which will not ask for OTP, they don't even need your pin. I am speaking from experience.

That is true, each merchant aka website decides what information they need from the card in other to initiate a transaction....The truth is, the bank is not in the picture here, when a merchant initiate a debit to them on your behalf. You only get OTP when you are interacted directly with the bank site or a compatible vendor.

I know this first hand, because am a merchant and accepts credit cards, I program my website backend on what parameter to collect from the individual wanting to make payment e.g. PIN, Address Info, etc and I can also lock out specific IP addresses or geo locations from making any transaction or even decide not to accept the card is the place it is been used is farther from where the card was issued, I can also delay the frequency of use or time interval between use and also max amount and can also decline the card base of fraud score, etc.

Sometimes, I lock out legitimate customers and they usually call me and a relax the security momentary so that, they can go through or if they give me the last four digit of their card, I can manually authorize the captured transaction at the backend...usually these transaction stay for three days before falling off.
Re: How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online by linearity: 10:05pm On Jan 10, 2018
Childofaking:
@ op
ATM cards are not credit cards, they are debit cards.

Agree, The OP is mixing Credit Card with Debit card...but generally, all cards that can be used on an ATM are called ATM cards and credit & debit card fall into that category.

The OP talk about withdrawing money with your card or someone stealing your money from your card, when his title is talking about credit card. We all know that in the Nigeria context, you cannot withdraw money from a credit card, this is only available via a debit card. In the western hemisphere a portion of your credit card limit is available as 'cash advance' against which you can make cash withdrawal but at a higher APR with zero grace period.

1 Like

Re: How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online by Ololade098: 10:44pm On Jan 10, 2018
Christaks:

Aliexpress doesnt askd for PIN or OTP, jst card details...
bro, may I ask wish bank offered you the ATM you are using on Aliexpress, because mine is not working on it
Re: How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online by Medunah: 12:50am On Jan 11, 2018
omoguess:

My dear, Dnt be too sure. You are completely WRONG!!!
I Hve a gtb token, movie app and I use their USSD banking as well. I shop regularly on ASOS.Com and EBay and I Hve NEVER used my token or OTP. So the fact that some site ask for token does nt mean that all site does. You can try and shop at ASOS. Come and give us feed back. Meanwhile shop for amount below 200usd.
Don't mind those ones.
My ATM card was stolen and used for transactions all ASOS......All my money​ was wiped off. These same Gtb. I only woke up to alerts, nothing about them asking​ me for token or rubbish. I already kinda deleted the thread, would av asked u to go​ thru it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online by HRHF: 7:52am On Jan 11, 2018
HallaDaTruth:
My bank sends OTP to my phone, without it nobody can take my money even if they have my card number

Hehehe I dy laugh u... Drop me all the info no drop pin then gimme 30minutes
Re: How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online by Christaks(m): 7:58am On Jan 11, 2018
Ololade098:

bro, may I ask wish bank offered you the ATM you are using on Aliexpress, because mine is not working on it

Zenith Bank, (mastercard)

Ecobank (mastercard) also working
Re: How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online by MrGerald(m): 8:30am On Jan 11, 2018
Childofaking:
@ op
ATM cards are not credit cards, they are debit cards.
They can be either debit or credit
Re: How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online by bedfordng(m): 9:31am On Jan 11, 2018
nitt:

pls wat number is 'cvv2' on the atm card?
the 3 digit number at the bsck of the atm
Re: How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online by Anjeco: 11:15am On Jan 11, 2018
Diffdeef:
Dude,in GTBank,any online transaction you wanna do,you gonna need a hardware token device,I can give you all my card details,I dare you u can't take a pin by any means,without my token device,I feel like I'm locked outside of my own account,how bout u.
brother please don't give too much trust on GTB security reliability.
Re: How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online by nitt: 11:52am On Jan 11, 2018
bedfordng:
the 3 digit number at the bsck of the atm

okay bro. thanks
Re: How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online by lereinter(m): 9:36pm On Jan 11, 2018
Many Online Applications now support the using of Credit Cards popularly known in 9ja as ATM cards for payment,

is nig atm card aka credit card..
Re: How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online by jedisco(m): 9:18pm On Jan 12, 2018
imam07:
otp is your card transaction details my friend. Gtb will send it to u while transacting online. Use your brother Gtb card without otp for online transaction to know what am talking about. For u to use another person card online without otp, u will go extra miles which will even cost u more.

Stop arguing blindly. I also use a GTB card with a token and have done a lot of onine transactions without the token. As a matter of fact, your Security is far more important than the token.
If you're still in doubt, just take a picture of your card, send it across and let's see how much is left within 10 minutes
Re: How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online by charlie34: 11:54am On Dec 01, 2022
In addition to these fees, you must also remember that Joker Prepaid Mastercard is not a reloadable credit card, which means that you cannot add more money to it. To learn more about Joker Card – Canada's #1 Gift Card – Activate and Check Balance, visit on hyperlinked site.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Food Importation: Nigeria At Risk Of Hunger, Says Dangote / London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers / Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.