Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,820 members, 7,798,766 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:00 AM

Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked (41581 Views)

11 Brand New Courses To Be Taught In South African Universities / Covenant, UI, UNILAG, Edo University Ranked As Best In Nigeria By Times Higher / Covenant University Ranked 36th Fastest Growing Young University In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by preciousnobel(m): 9:51pm On Jan 12, 2018
Statsocial:

You don't want to go there at all. There are tons of CU programmers working at Silicon Valley and making strides in ICT
You seem to know so much... I want to be an academic like you, any advice for me?

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by NairaMaster1(m): 10:00pm On Jan 12, 2018
Mememan:
Tithe money...

Yet, 97% of the tithers can't afford the school fees

That's all you can contribute? Meanwhile, you will lick buhari anus for putting you in jeopardy.

Lol
Lol
Lol
Lol
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Lyoncrescent: 10:10pm On Jan 12, 2018
its funny how so many people equate computer science to just programming and netowrking. Computer Science/Information Technology is much more than just programming and networking. Even parts of project management and IT Service Management is becoming a big deal although some people like to see this as Information Systems not computer science/IT.

That being said, unless universities have hubs like stanford , its hard to really rank computer science in universities simply because anyone can come up with the next best idea regardless of institution. while on the other hand, the ceo of a fortune 500 company will probably attend an ivy league school. Secondly ,IT and Computer Science is so dynamic that academic qualifications/knowledge cannot keep up. Only professional qualifications and work experience exposure/innovation/ideas can keep up. And finally, IT is the only field where the student can become a master overnight. All it takes is an idea and its excellent execution. Nairaland is nothing special technically but the idea and execution is bae.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by omolorlarh: 11:13pm On Jan 12, 2018
Statsocial:

Not only OAU, it includes UI(already on the list), UNN, Unilag, OAU and Covenant.

Every year when it's time to collect all the data. Each university from Harvard to Standford, MIT even to University Of Ibadan and every other Uni that are being considered would turn their Financial, Academic and admission record to Times Higher. The record would for example include all the money realised from research, and industry collaboration. Total number of staff and students. Number of international faculty and students, number of academic staff that have PhD and got it from the University.

Then Times would send 18000 surveys to the best Researchers across top notch Institutions Globally - Presumably to US, Europe and some in Asia. The researchers would be asked to pick the current best universities in their field of work e.g Prof. Melissa Franklin of Nuclear Physics, Harvard would have to pick top institutions in Nuclear Physics(Research and Teaching) she may return Harvard, Oxford, MIT and Caltech on the survey. Then it would be tallied(Nigerian Universities rank severely low here barely getting 1% score)

Then they use bibliometric/webometric tools to extract all research work ever produced by universities in consideration between the last five years and obtain Citations, Research Co-Authorship, Research Volume etc

After that, they would now exclude any University in Consideration that does not have at least 1000 research work publication(indexed by SCOPUS) and minimum of 150/year in the past five years.

The Result are then interpreted and audited by Price Water Cooper House(PwC) and released-So you see why it is completely trusted by Governments because it is a very rigorous process.(over 95% of US higher Institutions don't make the top 1000 rank)

I like this

1 Like

Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by darkid1(m): 12:09am On Jan 13, 2018
Fulaman198:

What kind of CS research have they done to be a strong CS uni in Nigeria compared to other Unis in Africa? Have they developed anything special. What kind of CS funding do they have?

For those of us in the actual field of Computational Science, I'm finding this hard to believe. I also believe that schools in Algeria, Morocco, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and possibly Ghana are better for CS than schools in Nigeria.

So let me get, you are very conversant with the thesis , dissertations, and research work done in every university in Africa to come up with your conclusion right?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Bifrost: 12:44am On Jan 13, 2018
Statsocial:

Not only OAU, it includes UI(already on the list), UNN, Unilag, OAU and Covenant.

Every year when it's time to collect all the data. Each university from Harvard to Standford, MIT even to University Of Ibadan and every other Uni that are being considered would turn their Financial, Academic and admission record to Times Higher. The record would for example include all the money realised from research, and industry collaboration. Total number of staff and students. Number of international faculty and students, number of academic staff that have PhD and got it from the University.

Then Times would send 18000 surveys to the best Researchers across top notch Institutions Globally - Presumably to US, Europe and some in Asia. The researchers would be asked to pick the current best universities in their field of work e.g Prof. Melissa Franklin of Nuclear Physics, Harvard would have to pick top institutions in Nuclear Physics(Research and Teaching) she may return Harvard, Oxford, MIT and Caltech on the survey. Then it would be tallied(Nigerian Universities rank severely low here barely getting 1% score)

Then they use bibliometric/webometric tools to extract all research work ever produced by universities in consideration between the last five years and obtain Citations, Research Co-Authorship, Research Volume etc

After that, they would now exclude any University in Consideration that does not have at least 1000 research work publication(indexed by SCOPUS) and minimum of 150/year in the past five years.

The Result are then interpreted and audited by Price Water Cooper House(PwC) and released-So you see why it is completely trusted by Governments because it is a very rigorous process.(over 95% of US higher Institutions don't make the top 1000 rank)

I love this.

Who are you Statsocial? Who are you?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by chukzyfcbb: 12:46am On Jan 13, 2018
If you are an under graduate in the department of computer science at any institution, please pay attention to what I have to say.

ICT is the future, don't play with it Every Long Break you have (2nd semester break), ensure to enroll in an IT training school or Pay for an Online class (Udemy).

So at the end of your study, you would have atleast gained 2 professional certificates in IT to add your Bsc.
The opportunities are vast but most of the guys in CSC don't know jack!

Knowing Microsoft office proficiently is for babies. As a CSC graduate, you should atleast know Cisco commands inside or out, or master Microsoft server skills, or you should be able to master one programming language or being a very good pen tester.

These are stuffs I wish someone told me in my days, Never play with your long semester break.
use those period to learn IT skills (Ccna,Mcsa, CEH,Web designing, Programming etc)
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by iguita: 12:54am On Jan 13, 2018
Harvard of Nigeria don go shot. Wait small, e dey come.
jericco1:
hmm and no public uni.
where is the Harvard of Nigeria?
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by yhormite: 1:23am On Jan 13, 2018
niggi4life:
Hmm, All for mere ratings.

In my place of work, i have lots of graduates who majored in computer science and do not even know what a Router or Switch is let alone know how to write a single program or script.
In Nigeria right now, Computer science is still under rated.
I finished from OOU Ago Iwoye and all through my four years in school i never had the opportunity to even see our computer Lab. I groomed myself with personal trainings and research. Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates were both drop outs from Havard Uni, they developed themselves personally, same goes with Seun Osewa of Nairaland.
What am i driving at? It's just that becoming a real computer scientist takes a lot of personal endeavor than going through the four walls of a Uni.
proudly oouites so proud of u Bro what year did u graduated I belong to class of 2016
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by shankara7: 4:32am On Jan 13, 2018
yhormite:
proudly oouites so proud of u Bro what year did u graduated I belong to class of 2016
Proudly OOUites with this kind of grammar? SMH
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Desyner: 5:54am On Jan 13, 2018
Mememan:
Tithe money...

Yet, 97% of the tithers can't afford the school fees

Lol
Lol
Lol
Lol
The school wasn't established to help church members get university education.
It was establish for a purpose, find out that purpose and stop regurgitating old internet trash here.
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Desyner: 6:11am On Jan 13, 2018
Fulaman198:
I know for certain that Egypt and South Africa have better CS schools than Nigeria. I won't be surprised if Algeria, Ghana, Morocco, Tunisia, etc. have as well.

There is a lot to work on from an infrastructure point of view. CS needs to be introduced early to children, let them gain an understanding on basic programming concepts, then they can move onto mainstream CS stuff when in the University.

CS is such a huge field but we don't have the qualified people in Nigeria to teach it in depth. Most qualified Nigerians are abroad.
Covenant uni isn't totally free from the Nigerian factor when it comes to human resource but I can assure you CU isn't your average Nigerian uni either.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Desyner: 6:17am On Jan 13, 2018
Fulaman198:
I forgot to also mention Kenya and Uganda who I assume would have better CS schools than Nigeria as well and possibly Tanzania.
School standard isn't really a function of the country they are in.
The motivating factor for school goes beyond the immediate environment sometimes.
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Desyner: 6:22am On Jan 13, 2018
frankmoney:
I wish I went to a private school , public universities are living in past glory
Lots of people do also but don't want to 'misrepresent' their 'alma mata'.
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Mememan: 8:53am On Jan 13, 2018
Desyner:

The school wasn't established to help church members get university education.
It was establish for a purpose, find out that purpose and stop regurgitating old internet trash here.
Sheep
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by niggi4life(m): 9:03am On Jan 13, 2018
yhormite:
class of 2005
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Desyner: 9:08am On Jan 13, 2018
Mememan:
Sheep
Lol... Goat!
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by ModsWillKillNL: 10:05am On Jan 13, 2018
Bifrost:

I love this.

Who are you Statsocial? Who are you?

I suspect he is Azubike.

He studied Computer Science in CU.

He made a First Class.
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Nobody: 10:08am On Jan 13, 2018
Mirand606:
TheVictorious Statsocial Desyner Darkid1 Hakeem4(Living Faith Uni Crew grin)

You people tried. Though you need to work on your Citations.

I want to ask who sponsors the publications from covenant university staff? Is there a funding pool or individuals pay?

Free standard journals are mostly not open access and you will pay high for it if you want it open access
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Bifrost: 10:46am On Jan 13, 2018
ModsWillKillNL:

I suspect he is Azubike.
He studied Computer Science in CU.
He made a First Class.
He's really good. Been following him on this platform for a while now.
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Nobody: 11:27am On Jan 13, 2018
ejibaba:

I want to ask who sponsors the publications from covenant university staff? Is there a funding pool or individuals pay?

Free standard journals are mostly not open access and you will pay high for it if you want it open access
David Oyedepo Foundation pays 1,000USD for every International Publication that emanates from CU faculty to make it open access. They also pay N50,000 for local publications - so yes the DOF an Covenant Uni Centre for Research Innovation and Discovery (CUCRID) are the funding pool for CU research work..
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jan 13, 2018
Statsocial:

David Oyedepo Foundation pays 1,000USD for every International Publication that emanates from CU faculty to make it open access. They also pay N50,000 for local publications - so yes the DOF an Covenant Uni Centre for Research Innovation and Discovery (CUCRID) are the funding pool for CU research work..

aba Jo!!! I would have said na! but that's good. The staff will be loyal then...because it's a great boost to ones resume.

I hope to join them in the future.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 13, 2018
ejibaba:

aba Jo!!! I would have said na! but that's good. The staff will be loyal then...because it's a great boost to ones resume.

I hope to join them in the future.
As a lecturer ba. What did you study?

Yes they are trying for staff members. They also send them on one International and local Conference/year.
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jan 13, 2018
Statsocial:
As a lecturer ba. What did you study?
Yes. Business Administration
Though already lecturing in one of the FG uni
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jan 13, 2018
ejibaba:

Yes. Business Administration

Though already lecturing in one of the FG uni
Oh wow that's great. Is there any particular advantage you will get in CU that you wouldn't get in your current uni.
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jan 13, 2018
Statsocial:

Oh wow that's great. Is there any particular advantage you will get in CU that you wouldn't get in your current uni.

So many...For example, the university is promoting research of their staff, thereby encouraging them to further contribute to make resounding impacts in their field of study.

Promotion is faster and merit is the focus rather than loyalty and godfather.

However, I will rather stay where I'm for now till I make the name so I earn the right value! Also, I'm a winner so spiritual connection is valuable.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jan 13, 2018
ejibaba:

So many...For example, the university is promoting research of their staff, thereby encouraging them to further contribute to make resounding impacts in their field of study.

Promotion is faster and merit is the focus rather than loyalty and godfather.

However, I will rather stay where I'm for now till I make the name so I earn the right value! Also, I'm a winner so spiritual connection is valuable.
Makes a lot of sense. CU or any other living faith university would be an awesome place for you to be... You would certainly feel more fulfilled over there.
Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jan 13, 2018
Statsocial:

Makes a lot of sense. CU or any other living faith university would be an awesome place for you to be... You would certainly feel more fulfilled over there.

Sure I know I will but at the right time I will make the switch.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 African Universities In Computer Science: Covenant University Ranked by TheVictorious(m): 9:40pm On Jan 14, 2018
Mirand606:
TheVictorious Statsocial Desyner Darkid1 Hakeem4(Living Faith Uni Crew grin)

You people tried. Though you need to work on your Citations.

Transparency shows you the data of a school's citations since its inception but in actual fact, rankings are often limited to specific periods of time, usually 5 years from when it is conducted.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hilarious Post Updated On University Of Nigeria, Unn's Facebook Page / 6 Countries You Can Study At Top Universities At Affordable Fees. / 7 Of The Best Secondary Schools In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.