Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,957 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:16 AM

GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 (9185 Views)

Rolls Royce Goes Into Flying Taxis, To Be Ready By 2019 For Testing / Nigerians Saw A Self-Driving Car For The First Time & Mobbed The Car (Pic,Video) / Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by obafemee80(m): 6:34pm On Jan 12, 2018
[img]https:///a/img923/6463/wrytYQ.jpg[/img]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvP82IsGqNc

General Motors has announced its self-driving car,Cruise AV,a modified electric Chevrolet Bolt on Friday, January 12, following a petition submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to deploy a car that doesn’t comply with current safety standards.

They are seeking U.S. government approval for a fully autonomous car,one without a steering wheel, brake pedal or accelerator pedal to enter the automaker's first commercial ride-sharing fleet in 2019.

If the Department of Transportation grants GM's latest Safety Petition,the Cruise AV will be the the first ever production-ready vehicle built from the start to operate safely on its own, with no driver, steering wheel, pedals or manual controls.

[img]https:///a/img922/3062/kSSwkT.jpg[/img]

For passengers who cannot open or close doors, the Cruise AV has even been designed to perform that task. It will have other accommodations for hearing and visually impaired customers.

So why would GM want self-driving cars without a steering wheel and pedals?This is mainly because the equipment frees up space and weight in vehicles that will be the heart of an autonomous vehicle ride-hailing program.

Since there will not be a driver in the cars, GM is taking the next logical step of removing the steering wheel and pedals, freeing up another seat for a passenger.

And in case there is an emergency or the car is not moving to the side of the road,each of the new steering-wheel free Chevy Bolts feature an emergency stop button passengers can press if they need to stop the car.

GM's Cruise AV is equipped with the automaker's fourth-generation self-driving software and hardware, including 21 radars, 16 cameras and five lidars sensing devices that use laser light to help autonomous cars "see" nearby objects and obstacles.

The Cruise AV will be able to operate in hands-free mode only in premapped urban areas.

Source https://autojosh.com/gm-plans-mass-produce-self-driving-cars-without-steering-wheel-pedals-2019/

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

2 Likes

Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by Johnholmes: 6:46pm On Jan 12, 2018
The car interior looks so weird
I don't think I'll ever like this car
It kills the fun in driving

8 Likes

Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by maxiuc(m): 7:16am On Jan 13, 2018
:D4th
Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by nony43(m): 7:16am On Jan 13, 2018
N.
Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by ednut1(m): 7:18am On Jan 13, 2018
angryif network hang for 2 seconds nko

4 Likes

Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by northvietnam(m): 7:18am On Jan 13, 2018
nony43:
N.

Power

2 Likes

Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by brostheo(m): 7:18am On Jan 13, 2018
Vision 20200
Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by tribalistseun: 7:18am On Jan 13, 2018
Not for Nigerian road

3 Likes

Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by brostheo(m): 7:18am On Jan 13, 2018
lol
Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by Bossontop(m): 7:20am On Jan 13, 2018
undecided
No pedal or steering wheel??....i no dey enta lai lai
If my village pipo com hack d motor how i go com do....self driving cars wif d option to also drive it mysef na d best biko

14 Likes

Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by horlah005: 7:20am On Jan 13, 2018
This pple keep going...
Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by millhouse: 7:20am On Jan 13, 2018
Johnholmes:
I don't think I'll ever like this carj
embrace change... Don't be like Nokia that refused to move from QWERTY keyboard to touch screen and eventually lost their market space

5 Likes

Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by Coldfeets: 7:22am On Jan 13, 2018
The Rise of the Machines continues...

More job losses looms...

Less interactivity between people beckons as more and more people continue to have little or no need for others...

Ladies and gentlemen...

This is the New World Order! grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by Hespee93: 7:22am On Jan 13, 2018
Johnholmes:
Johnholmes:
The question iss. How will you pos in this kid of of a thing. You just relax nd the car moving itself.
Many life will be lost cos if it looses control or malfunction.
Some poeple will sure buy in d name advancememnt.
undecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecided
Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by donneco(m): 7:26am On Jan 13, 2018
Nawaoo.
No steering wheels, pedals, etc.
What if i tell the car to take me to Lagos, and it starts taking me to sambisa forest, and refuses to stop.

3 Likes

Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by Troublemaker007(m): 7:31am On Jan 13, 2018
ednut1:
angryif network hang for 2 seconds nko

donneco:
Nawaoo.
No steering wheels, pedals, etc.
What if i tell the car to take me to Lagos, and it starts taking me to sambisa forest, and refuses to stop.

Lmfao. You are on your own cheesy
Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by eleojo23: 7:31am On Jan 13, 2018
The days of the Terminators are upon us!

1 Like

Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by espn(m): 7:32am On Jan 13, 2018
Any sudden mechanical fault while on motion...especially on this our bad roads... or or men of the underworld dey operate...
Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by MasterKim: 7:38am On Jan 13, 2018
Lai lai.
I no fit use horn tear my neighbour ear.
I no fit use am spill water for my ex and her bf body.
I no fit use am do shakara for my padis like say I won hit dem.
I no fit pack and tell my sister "sukura sare wole, motor WA leyin mi"

The car go jus be like say pesin dey inside brt. No fun in riding.
Na yellow bus go finish d bumper for traffic.
D conductor go tink say na u dey drive am.
He go tell driver make he enta lane say he don beg u. grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by iamrealdeji(m): 7:38am On Jan 13, 2018
Johnholmes:
where is the fun in driving? I prefer to be driven like this abegi
Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by free2ryhme: 7:48am On Jan 13, 2018
obafemee80:
[img]https:///a/img923/6463/wrytYQ.jpg[/img]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvP82IsGqNc

General Motors has announced its self-driving car,Cruise AV,a modified electric Chevrolet Bolt on Friday, January 12, following a petition submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to deploy a car that doesn’t comply with current safety standards.

They are seeking U.S. government approval for a fully autonomous car,one without a steering wheel, brake pedal or accelerator pedal to enter the automaker's first commercial ride-sharing fleet in 2019.

If the Department of Transportation grants GM's latest Safety Petition,the Cruise AV will be the the first ever production-ready vehicle built from the start to operate safely on its own, with no driver, steering wheel, pedals or manual controls.

[img]https:///a/img922/3062/kSSwkT.jpg[/img]

For passengers who cannot open or close doors, the Cruise AV has even been designed to perform that task. It will have other accommodations for hearing and visually impaired customers.

So why would GM want self-driving cars without a steering wheel and pedals?This is mainly because the equipment frees up space and weight in vehicles that will be the heart of an autonomous vehicle ride-hailing program.

Since there will not be a driver in the cars, GM is taking the next logical step of removing the steering wheel and pedals, freeing up another seat for a passenger.

And in case there is an emergency or the car is not moving to the side of the road,each of the new steering-wheel free Chevy Bolts feature an emergency stop button passengers can press if they need to stop the car.

GM's Cruise AV is equipped with the automaker's fourth-generation self-driving software and hardware, including 21 radars, 16 cameras and five lidars sensing devices that use laser light to help autonomous cars "see" nearby objects and obstacles.

The Cruise AV will be able to operate in hands-free mode only in premapped urban areas.

Source https://autojosh.com/gm-plans-mass-produce-self-driving-cars-without-steering-wheel-pedals-2019/

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

hope say una wey go buy this motor don ready una health insurance grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by Josephamstrong1(m): 7:49am On Jan 13, 2018
The spirit world has in the day time taken over.
Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by slurity1: 8:11am On Jan 13, 2018
kiss
Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by Mckandre(m): 8:17am On Jan 13, 2018
nekwa accident shocked with this one, u will be watchn ur sef enter trailer back without being able to save urself. angry

3 Likes

Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by msylva2147(m): 8:35am On Jan 13, 2018
espn:
Any sudden mechanical fault while on motion...especially on this our bad roads... or or men of the underworld dey operate...
they must have put all those things into consideration because bringing it on.
Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by bisiboi(m): 9:56am On Jan 13, 2018
millhouse:
embrace change... Don't be like Nokia that refused to move from QWERTY keyboard to touch screen and eventually lost their market space

i love that

1 Like

Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by stchinedu: 1:50pm On Jan 13, 2018
espn:

I love that part...'or men of the underworld dey operate'

Na to begin your last prayer be dat o...Cos the car will just drive you into dem hand jejely grin cheesy

Just like local dogs like 'bingo' dey carry thief enter where the owner dey hide grin cheesy
Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by micheal004: 2:51pm On Jan 13, 2018
Interesting.
Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by adjoviomole(m): 3:35pm On Jan 13, 2018
If dangote truck wan overtake me and the network goes offline?

Mi o le wa fi owo ra iku

1 Like

Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by mrcoolautofix(m): 8:57am On Jul 03, 2021
obafemee80:
[img]
Why would a healthy vigorous human be driven by a car?

You are not driving car, car is driving you and overriding your priorities..

So yo telling to seat in that box and watch it get under trailer abi?

Tesla models with steering wheel autonomous have been go off course not to mention this..

I think it's designed for those who are mentally and physically disabled..
Re: GM Plans To Mass-Produce Self-Driving Car Without Steering Wheel & Pedal By 2019 by Cokahot: 2:57pm On Jul 03, 2021
I go vex open car wash

(1) (Reply)

Where Is Nissan CVT Oil NS-1 Oil Available In Nigeria or Elsewhere Now? / Nissan Rogue Trail Warrior Project Sets Triangular Tracks For Adventure / Okada Riders Flouts Lagos Law On Restricted Routes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.