Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:34 PM

Atheism Is A Religion - Religion (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Is A Religion (24325 Views)

The Whites Also Believe In The Marine World. Atheism Is Not A Western Thing. / Atheism Is Madness / Atheism Is Extreme Evil! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism Is A Religion by frank317: 5:45pm On Jan 24, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Let me post a portion of your comment again so you would see it yourself

Your comment above is an absolute one. Yet again here you are saying I DONT KNOW. which in itself is not an absolute statement.

Tell me you cannot understand your own comment which is in black and white here.

I repeat... i dont believe God exist because of the lack of knowledge of his existence.

There nothing hard to understand in the statement above
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by budaatum: 6:06pm On Jan 24, 2018
I can understand how you mean what you are saying. The topic, god, necessitates it, as it strongly involves subjective positions. To make it worse is how whatever one says would tend to come off as personal insults to say the least, even if not intended. I cannot, for instance, say you are being subjective without it being obvious that from your point of view, so am I. (By the way, you have not claimed to being objective in this discussion, I notice.)

butterflyl1on:

The evidence doesn't have to be self generated but they were chosen to be SELF BELIEVED.
We could argue about the level of evidence required to form this so called belief, but I'll rest for now.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by butterflyl1on: 6:08pm On Jan 24, 2018
frank317:

I repeat... i dont believe God exist because of the lack of knowledge of his existence.

I don't believe God exists because of the lack of knowledge of his existence is quite different from your comment below

I dont believe a known creator of the world exists. I dont know if the world was created or not and I dont care

So evidence or no evidence you don't care. So it's not about evidence for you. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism Is A Religion by frank317: 7:31pm On Jan 24, 2018
butterflyl1on:

I don't believe God exists because of the lack of knowledge of his existence is quite different from your comment below

So evidence or no evidence you don't care. So it's not about evidence for you. grin

Ok...

Why should i care... evidence or not, what impact does his existence have in this world? If he exists somewhere, what impact will my belief in his existence do to his existence.

The fact is that a believe in a God weather he exist or not is a completely useless venture.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by butterflyl1on: 7:42pm On Jan 24, 2018
frank317:

Ok...

Why should i care... evidence or not, what impact does his existence have in this world? If he exists somewhere, what impact will my belief in his existence do to his existence.

The fact is that a believe in a God weather he exist or not is a completely useless venture.

Budaatum do you see how he went from I don't care to I don't believe because there is no evidence to that effect and now finally back to confessing that

Why should i care... evidence or not, what impact does his existence have in this world? If he exists somewhere, what impact will my belief in his existence do to his existence

So I was right when I said that evidence or not you don't care. I was also right when said you were angry earlier because it was under such emotions that you actually spoke the truth and later wanted to deny it but here you are finally admitting it after being shown your very words.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism Is A Religion by frank317: 7:52pm On Jan 24, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Budaatum do you see how he went from I don't care to I don't believe because there is no evidence to that effect and now finally back to confessing that

So I was right when I said that evidence or not you don't care. I was also right when said you were angry earlier because it was under such emotions that you actually spoke the truth and later wanted to deny it but here you are finally admitting it after being shown your very words.

I dont even know what u are saying...shalock homes.. lol
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by vaxx: 10:53pm On Jan 24, 2018
frank317:

of course assumption differs from faith. I didnt say other wise, i said faith is based on assumptions. Faith does not give testing a chance. pls define Faith. From the christian perspective, Faith is evidence of things HOPED for. You just hope for it and claim u have evidence. Thats having faith based on assumption.

so how can i test your religious saying - God created the world? isnt it by questioning it? I questioned it and find out your belief is filled with nothing but assumption

good

oga many Christians think you will go to hell for being a pagan. Ask butterflylion if u will go to heaven as a pagan. are u a learner?

where will i find God then? where is he hiding?
'' the only living scripture is you, every other scripture are work dead''(anonymous quote) why should you rely on christian scripture? the only truth can only come from you. i told you earlier, do not depend on borrowed answer ,it is capable of stealing your future. you ask me to define faith. faith base on mariam webster dictionary, it define faith as a complete trust or confidence in someone or something without proof.....

so an intelligent person like you may ask me why should i trust or have confidence on something that has no proof?..
let me tell you something about proof , proof itself is a kind of agreement we settle upon just to achieve mental convenience and that is why an established proof can be challenge or upset at anytime. This is the same error many atheist are making on nairaland that science has proven evolution or big bang. scientist themselves knows that scientific methods prove nothing - they only provide reason to consider an hypothesis falsified. That reason may be very compelling - so compelling that we decide to trust it completely. In that moment we declare our faith. and that is why i subscribe to webster dictionary definition.

you dont question faith, unless it is a blind faith base on assumption. faith is smarter than the question,he knows far better than the question even to the point where the question can not reached...... that is why i will advice you to experience real faith that is not base on nothingness....

form my own experience , i have meet more cool Christians than the fanatics one

where will you find God? you can only find him through yourself .....
where is he hiding? his handwork is writing all over you...... i will advice you to put your five senses to work so you can experience the living God

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism Is A Religion by budaatum: 10:57pm On Jan 24, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Budaatum do you see how he went from I don't care to I don't believe because there is no evidence to that effect and now finally back to confessing that .......
Yes, I seen it. And I notice the fact that he said he doesn't believe because......, nor require evidence. I do detect sarcasm however, and frustration at the way you twist and turn words and the argument to suit your position (which is how you would appear to some, no insult intended).

I personally have issues with atheists who claim not to believe in the existence of gods. An atheist, in my opinion, is someone who has checked the evidence and come to the conclusion that gods, definitely, do not exist. However, one must understand that most atheists converted from one religion or the other and tend to stick to the language of their abandoned religion, hence the use of the word, 'believe', which in effect makes them seem like agnostic (atheists). If language were minded much more, no true blue atheist will claim not to believe in the none existence of gods. Believe (sic) when I say we are working on it.

Have you proven the point you said you would, by the way? Could you give me a conclusion please so it is clear?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by frank317: 7:43am On Jan 25, 2018
vaxx:
'' the only living scripture is you, every other scripture are work dead''(anonymous quote) why should you rely on christian scripture? the only truth can only come from you. i told you earlier, do not depend on borrowed answer ,it is capable of stealing your future. you ask me to define faith. faith base on mariam webster dictionary, it define faith as a complete trust or confidence in someone or something without proof.....
Faith is complete trust in something without proof and u say it has nothing to do with assumption. You say it has to do with research... continue.
You tell me to find God outside the scriptures, christians tell me to find God in the scriptures, who will i believe. Well, i didnt find any God both inside and outside the scriptures. I tried and find out that both u and Christians are confidently living a lie.

so an intelligent person like you may ask me why should i trust or have confidence on something that has no proof?..
let me tell you something about proof , proof itself is a kind of agreement we settle upon just to achieve mental convenience and that is why an established proof can be challenge or upset at anytime. This is the same error many atheist are making on nairaland that science has proven evolution or big bang. scientist themselves knows that scientific methods prove nothing - they only provide reason to consider an hypothesis falsified. That reason may be very compelling - so compelling that we decide to trust it completely. In that moment we declare our faith. and that is why i subscribe to webster dictionary definition.
Ok

you dont question faith, unless it is a blind faith base on assumption. faith is smarter than the question,he knows far better than the question even to the point where the question can not reached...... that is why i will advice you to experience real faith that is not base on nothingness....
How do i experience real faith? By following some.mumbo jumbo any theist present to me? Do i just wake up in the morning and start experiencing faith?

form my own experience , i have meet more cool Christians than the fanatics one
Haven't u met cool atheist? How many atheists u met preached violence to u?
So how many Christians did u meet that didnt find God in the scriptures?

where will you find God? you can only find him through yourself .....
where is he hiding? his handwork is writing all over you...... i will advice you to put your five senses to work so you can experience the living God
U want to turn me to a magician?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by ScienceWatch: 12:24pm On Jan 25, 2018
butterflyl1on:

If you wouldn't mind, I would like you to give me a list of ALL the evidence for God you said is available and we will assess their so called flimsy nature. Mind you, you must be truthful enough to give me ALL.

Your statement here is self refuting. God is already doing so to them that first believe and not to those who first wish to see before they believe. Before you experience something from the one offering the experience he has conditions you must meet and when you fail to meet these conditions and do not get this experience would you blame the experience giver or yourself? How can you expect God to reveal himself to someone whose foundation is a lack of belief of His existence. How does that work? Can I get into a car that I do not see in my spirit? Can I eat and enjoy a meal I openly declared does not exist? Even when I do, I could easily call it a different name just to convince myself that I still did not eat that meal.

Since you have chosen not to meet His condition for the experience I can conclude that you either deliberately do not want him to exist to you or since he exists and your pride has been speaking that he does not exist then you would do or say anything to deny his existence to you.

Like what?
Butterflyl1on Sir, You are brilliant at explain complex spiritual principles. I wonder if Seun reads his own comments before posting it? He is saying that his limited intellectual scrutiny hits a blank when examining evidence for the existence of God. There are many instances of scientists, Judges, professors, engineers etc that has testified that they have overcome their own mental weaknesses and fear and now publicly worship the God they once proudly hated and rejected.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by ScienceWatch: 12:25pm On Jan 25, 2018
frank317:

Faith is complete trust in something without proof and u say it has nothing to do with assumption. You say it has to do with research... continue.
You tell me to find God outside the scriptures, christians tell me to find God in the scriptures, who will i believe. Well, i didnt find any God both inside and outside the scriptures. I tried and find out that both u and Christians are confidently living a lie.

Ok

How do i experience real faith? By following some.mumbo jumbo any theist present to me? Do i just wake up in the morning and start experiencing faith?

Haven't u met cool atheist? How many atheists u met preached violence to u?
So how many Christians did u meet that didnt find God in the scriptures?

U want to turn me to a magician?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by ScienceWatch: 12:41pm On Jan 25, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Butterflyl1on Sir, you have also won this debate. Your deep insight into higher truth has enabled you to separate the wheat from the chaff. Frank317 has revealed much more than he wanted, thanks to your highly advanced interrogative skills.

Wisdom dictates that you must use your God given skills to inspire and uplift the spirits/hearts of His believers. Your work is done among Atheists/Godhaters. Genuine, humble truth seekers are waiting eagerly on your enlightenment.

I have been away for a while, posting daily on many internet sites about the serious long term dangers of Atheism to decent communities.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by ScienceWatch: 1:01pm On Jan 25, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Sigh!

But you have been talking about this imaginary God since na without any input from me yet you claim he indeed is imaginary? You well so? grin

You have a very vivid and tangible imagination cheesy
I agree. Thats why Christians avoid 317.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by butterflyl1on: 1:01pm On Jan 25, 2018
frank317:

I dont even know what u are saying...shalock homes.. lol

You just proved yourself going by your comments to be an antitheist and a Godhater.

Something really nasty must have happened to you in your younger years to bring about this hate filled position of yours. Something that you felt you really needed God or his worshippers to help fix but it still went very bad.

Your other comments about God not existing and even if he did you do not care is just you still rebelling and trying very hard (although futile) to get back at God for that incident.

So sad that you have lived all this while with this much pain and trying so hard to punch God for real but always failing. It must hurt real bad.

Anyway if you accept his existence or not. If you worship him or not, life Goes on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism Is A Religion by ScienceWatch: 1:03pm On Jan 25, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Butterflyl1on Sir, we have observed that after you brow beat Frank317, he now does not know what he believes.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by ScienceWatch: 1:11pm On Jan 25, 2018
butterflyl1on:

You are beyond daft. When did an analogy about faith become an analogy about God and drugs? Are you sure you are not a robot who rubbish goes into and rubbish comes out of?

I am making an analogy about faith and its variants using drugs and you are talking about me comparing drugs to God. Indeed a lot of non intelligent people are everywhere on nairaland.

If I wish to talk about faith and God this is how I will do so right now. You say YOU DO NOT BELIEVE GOD EXISTS or YOU LACK THE BELIEF THAT GOD EXISTS . now this is simply word play because all I need to do is switch the words around like this

YOU BELIEVE GOD DOES NOT EXIST. Let me put it side by side for easier comparison

YOU LACK THE BELIEF THAT GOD EXISTS
YOU BELIEVE GOD DOES NOT EXIST

LACK SIMPLY MEANS BEING WITHOUT OR NOT HAVING WHICH IS A NEGATIVE.

so you have negative faith. Your lack of belief in the existence of God came from a personal non universal experience which cannot be empirically verified.

If your level of reasoning is very low it is not any fault of mine. It simply means you need to do all you can to raise it up which unfortunately your comments here show that even in that department, you are deficient (ANOTHER NEGATIVE).

Many thanks Butterflyl1on, for your well reasoned and extremely simple explanation to Frank317, yet he he fails to see your sound reasoning. You rightfully say he is"beyond daft", though you could have used more choice words to describe his lack of comprehension.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism Is A Religion by ScienceWatch: 1:17pm On Jan 25, 2018
vaxx:
if you say there is no convincing evidence, do you also have convincing evidence to reject it.... do you now see it goes into each other
Absolutely brilliant Vaxx !! Now is the time to repeatedly and forever ask Atheists to provide convincing evidence that their NO-god exist.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by ScienceWatch: 1:23pm On Jan 25, 2018
butterflyl1on:

You just proved yourself going by your comments to be an antitheist and a Godhater.

Something really nasty must have happened to you in your younger years to bring about this hate filled position of yours. Something that you felt you really needed God or his worshippers to help fix but it still went very bad.

Your other comments about God not existing and even if he did you do not care is just you still rebelling and trying very hard (although futile) to get back at God for that incident.

So sad that you have lived all this while with this much pain and trying so hard to punch God for real but always failing. It must hurt real bad.

Anyway if you accept his existence or not. If you worship him or not, life Goes on.
I agree !! He is an Anti-Christ, therefore no evidence will suffice. He has made a firm commitment to worship his deity called NO-god. MAy the force be with him.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by frank317: 2:34pm On Jan 25, 2018
butterflyl1on:

isnt this a prove of how useless his existence or not is to us? life always goes on and thats what matters
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by frank317: 2:38pm On Jan 25, 2018
ScienceWatch:
I agree !! He is an Anti-Christ, therefore no evidence will suffice. He has made a firm commitment to worship his deity called NO-god. MAy the force be with him.

If i, an ordinary human, is capable of hating your so called almighty God then I really must say ur God is useless.

Well if you say I hate your God, so be it... I will stuff hot iron into his anus when ever he crosses my path. he knows i hate him thats why he is scared of me.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by butterflyl1on: 2:48pm On Jan 25, 2018
frank317:

isnt this a prove of how useless his existence or not is to us? life always goes on and thats what matters

Yes it does. Hate it or love it. Hate Him or love Him. Sleep or no sleep. Death or no death. Pain or pleasure. Life Goes on.

Some learn to move on from the pain and hurt and tears and hate and sleepless nights. But I can see that this is something you have found impossible to do.

Yes life Goes on. Your life has gone on but you chose to carry along all the excessive weight of negativity as you went on. It's so sad that when people are like this, they never stop to do a before and now assessment of their emotions and inner turmoil. If they actually did they would discover that there was so much light and joy and laughter in their hearts and lives before than now.

God bless you and I pray you heal soon and rediscover this God who never stopped loving you despite all your hate toward him and all your impudence.

This is 2018. Learn to live pain free. Hurt free, bitterness free and life would reveal how deeply indeed you are loved.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism Is A Religion by budaatum: 2:55pm On Jan 25, 2018

a discussion on objective reality

Sean Appleby
Neither of them elaborated much on their positions, but it's pretty clear that that particular point the guy on the left made is baseless, and was made because he thought it sounded smart rather than because it was accurate. The guy on the right is saying that he trusts reason because it yields results. What he means is that he trusts reason because it has predictive power and is falsifiable. He thinks rationally about a problem (ie. I need to write something down), comes up with a hypothesis (I'll try to use this pen) and then tests it to get a result, which could either prove or disprove his hypothesis. If the hypothesis is correct then he gains confidence in the validity of his reasoning, and if it is wrong then he loses confidence in that hypothesis. This way of reasoning is the basis of science, and works for literally anything that affects anything, because effects can by definition be measured and correlated to their causation. That way of thinking is the reason you're on a computer rather than in the jungle eating poisonous berries and getting eaten by lions.

It's not reason justifying reason. It's reality justifying reason.

If it didn't work then we would have not been able to solve any problems or invent anything, and would still be living in caves.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by ScienceWatch: 3:33pm On Jan 25, 2018
frank317:

If i, an ordinary human, is capable of hating your so called almighty God then I really must say ur God is useless.

Well if you say I hate your God, so be it... I will stuff hot iron into his anus when ever he crosses my path. he knows i hate him thats why he is scared of me.
But I am not scared of you. Hatred is the weapon of choice of the weak.

Einstein said it best,
“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is A Religion by ScienceWatch: 3:37pm On Jan 25, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Yes it does. Hate it or love it. Hate Him or love Him. Sleep or no sleep. Death or no death. Pain or pleasure. Life Goes on.

Some learn to move on from the pain and hurt and tears and hate and sleepless nights. But I can see that this is something you have found impossible to do.

Yes life Goes on. Your life has gone on but you chose to carry along all the excessive weight of negativity as you went on. It's so sad that when people are like this, they never stop to do a before and now assessment of their emotions and inner turmoil. If they actually did they would discover that there was so much light and joy and laughter in their hearts and lives before than now.

God bless you and I pray you heal soon and rediscover this God who never stopped loving you despite all your hate toward him and all your impudence.

This is 2018. Learn to live pain free. Hurt free, bitterness free and life would reveal how deeply indeed you are loved.
Very true Sir. I have search all Frank317's posts for clues of hope, but sadly I found none. His destiny is to serve his deity called No-god.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism Is A Religion by budaatum: 3:40pm On Jan 25, 2018
Subjectivity and Objectivity in Qualitative Methodology

You are strongly advised to read the full article rather than my subjective selection from it posted below.

In subjectivism, all viewpoints are simply another way of approaching a thing. But none of them delivers any information about the thing itself. My view that Santa Claus is a myth and your view that he is a real person have equal truth value—namely, none at all. Whether one favors one or the other is simply a matter of how interesting they appear as cultural expressions. [5]

Similarly, I may think women enjoy being raped while you think they hate it. Neither indicates what women truly feel. They are simply our views of the topic. They are to be judged according to what meanings they contribute to the culture. If my opinion imparts a cultural meaning that women are happy and well adjusted while yours contributes a cultural meaning that women are frightened and angry and maladjusted, we select among the two views on that level.1) [6]

Subjectivism is often regarded as the sine qua non of qualitative methodology. However, this is untrue. Qualitative methodology has an objectivist strand as well. Objectivism states that the researcher's subjectivity can enable her to accurately comprehend the world as it exists in itself. Of course, subjectivity can bias the researcher and preclude objectively understanding a subject's psychological reality. However, this is not inevitable. In fact, one of the advantages of recognizing subjectivity is to reflect on whether it facilitates or impedes objective comprehension. Distorting values can then be replaced by values that enhance objectivity. [7]

Objectivism integrates subjectivity and objectivity because it argues that objective knowledge requires active, sophisticated subjective processes—such as perception, analytical reasoning, synthetic reasoning, logical deduction, and the distinction of essences from appearances. Conversely, subjective processes can enhance objective comprehension of the world. [8]

Objectivity presupposes an independent reality that can be grasped. If there is no independent reality, or if reality cannot be apprehended, or if reality is merely the concoction of the observer, then the notion of objectivity is moot. [10]

The psychology of people is independent of the observer just as physical objects are. Just as the moon is there and has certain characteristics independently of the astronomer, so my wife has certain emotions about her mother independently of me. It is incumbent on me to understand my wife's emotions as they exist for her. If I do not understand my wife's emotional state as it is—if I try to construct it as meaningful in my terms rather than as meaningful for her—I will pay dearly. Of course, some of her emotions are generated in part by my acts. Nevertheless, her emotions are HER Erlebnis and I must objectively understand them as they are FOR HER, as her psychological reality.2) [11]

Objectivism is the highest form of respect for the subjects we are studying. It respects their psychological reality as something meaningful and important which must be accurately comprehended. Subjectivism either denies a psychological reality to subjects, or else makes it unknowable. The psychology of other people is clouded by the subjectivity of the observer and is not recognized for what it (truly) is. [14]

To objectively comprehend peoples' psychology, the researcher must organize his subjectivity appropriately. Hypothetical concepts must be well-defined so that they can be identified unambiguously. An appropriate methodology must be adopted in order to solicit complete, meaningful evidence that can be used to test the validity of hypothetical concepts. And the evidence must be analyzed through sensitive, systematic procedures which can detect its features and compare them to the characteristics of hypothetical concepts. In this way, the researcher can be warranted in believing that her concepts illuminate the true nature of peoples' psychology. Nebulous hypothetical concepts, insufficient or inappropriate behavioral evidence, and arbitrary analyses vitiate objectivity and allow the researcher to impose her theoretical constructs on the data. [15]
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by dalaman: 3:49pm On Jan 25, 2018
butterflyl1on:

So there is this God that has NEVER stopped loving him, YET you are the one telling him? Just listen to yourself. If the is a God that loves him endlessly, then why are you the one telling him? Why not allow the said God to tell him, himself? Can your God do anything on it's own? Is it alive? Why is it depending on you to do EVERYTHING FOR IT?

Enough of your empty platitudes abeg. Alow your God that you claim has never stopped loving him to tell him that himself and express the said love himself. Stop killing yourself and doing things on behalf of an alleged God that is Almighty, can do all things and created all things. Let your God do things by itself, if it is alive, real and not imaginary.

Stop pouring water into a basket with many big holes, it will never be full.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by budaatum: 3:54pm On Jan 25, 2018
Subjectivity & Objectivity

2. Objective and subjective judgments
One common use of the notions of objectivity and subjectivity is to demarcate kinds of judgement (or thought or belief). On such a usage, prototypically objective judgements concern matters of empirical and mathematical fact such as the moon has no atmosphere and two and two are four. In contrast, prototypically subjective judgements concern matters of value and preference such as Mozart is better than Bach and vanilla ice cream with ketchup is disgusting. I offer these examples not to take sides on whether such judgements actually are objective or subjective, but only to call attention to a typical way of using "objective" and "subjective". The question arises as to what it means in this context to call these respective judgements "objective" and "subjective". Some have proposed that the difference hinges on truth. Objective judgements are absolutely true, whereas the truth of subjective judgements is relative to the person making the judgement: my judgements are true for me, your judgments are true for you. You and I can each utter "vanilla tastes great" but in your mouth this may constitute a truth and in my mouth it may constitute a falsehood. Subjective judgments are subject relative. Some philosophers have noted an analogy between this kind of subject relativity and a kind that obtains for indexical expressions. You and I can both utter "I am here" and thereby express different propositions. Some philosophers have construed indexicality as an instance of subjectivity and some others have even gone so far as to argue that subjectivity just is indexicality.

I will postpone taking sides on these issues, but let me spell out further what I take the importance of the above remarks to be. I call attention to the precedent of labeling judgements (and beliefs etc.) objective and subjective. In this discussion, it is representations that have propositional or sentential structure that are the first and foremost instances of objective (and subjective) things. The question arises, then, of what it is about these representations that makes them subjective. One suggestion is that the subjective/objective distinction marks a distinction in ways of assigning truth values to these representations, ways that are relativist and absolutist, respectively. Another suggestion is that the subjective/objective distinction marks a distinction in ways of assigning representational content to these representations, ways that are indexical and non-indexical, respectively. Yet another approach seeks to classify representational schemes in terms of the degree to which they reflect a particular perspective or point of view in the literal sense that pictorial representations represent the visual appearance of objects from a point of view. On this suggestion, pictures are the prototypically subjective representations and objective representations are to be defined in contrast. Among the issues to be sorted out in considering the "truth", "indexical", and "picture" suggestions are those concerning whether they constitute distinct viable alternatives, and if so, whether they are compatible. Such sorting will have to wait for another occasion, however. I turn now to consider a different way of construing the distinction between the objective and the subjective.

3. Objective and subjective existence
I again call attention to the precedent of calling judgements (and beliefs etc.) objective and subjective. Such a usage contrasts against a usage whereby it is not judgements but things themselves that are either objective or subjective. An example of this alternate usage would not call the judgement that the earth has an atmosphere objective, but instead it is the property of having an atmosphere that is objective. Such prototypical examples of objective properties are those that do not depend on the existence of minds for their instantiation. The idea of this kind of objectivity can be extended to include the existence of objects as well as the instantiations of properties. Objects exist objectively if they do not depend on minds to do so. In contrast, subjective properties and objects are mind-dependent. The central issues to be examined concerning this sense of the objective/subjective distinction concern the most theoretically useful and tractable way to construe mind-dependence. Does subjectivity as mind-dependence require only the existence of minds or does it instead require being represented by a mind? I return to such questions later. I close this section with some terminological remarks. I adopt the convention of calling the sense of the objectivity/subjectivity distinction that hinges on mind-dependence "metaphysical objectivity/subjectivity" and the sense of the distinction that hinges on kinds of representations discussed in the section above "epistemic objectivity/subjectivity". One set of questions that I am especially interested in concern the relation between epistemic and metaphysical objectivity. For example, as I will discuss further below, one way that theories of epistemic objectivity differ is over the issue of whether epistemically objective representations must be about metaphysically objective things.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by ScienceWatch: 3:55pm On Jan 25, 2018
frank317:

You have made a startling personal revelation here. You are in fact stating that it is your own lack of knowledge that is blocking your comprehension while many others have succeeded. Therefore you have chosen a lifeless substitute known as NO-god.

frank317, the real creator God do not want to know you. You are a spiritual reject and ready for the waste bin.

Remember the wise instruction, "DONT THROW YOUR PEARLS OF TRUTH TO THE SWINE, THEY WILL CRAP ON IT, THEN TURN AND REND YOU."
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by ScienceWatch: 4:02pm On Jan 25, 2018
frank317:

Your dark hatred is has changed the atmosphere of this tread. I knew it the moment you arrived. I will stuff a hot iron up your stinking anus if you dont stop. This is a public platform with many innocent youths logged in here. You dont want them to revolt and abandone Nairaland because of you. Do you really want that?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by frank317: 4:03pm On Jan 25, 2018
butterflyl1on:

hehehe... we all go through pain at a time in our lives.. i will not deny having lost a loved one or gone through a tough ordeal. what I dont understand is why you think any pain I must have gone through has anything to do with your imaginary God. Is ur God synonymous with pain? Well, what ever pain i went through in the past, i dont think it has anything to do with ur nonexistent God.
Your God does not exist and is not capable of stopping or increasing my pain or joy.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by frank317: 4:04pm On Jan 25, 2018
ScienceWatch:
But I am not scared of you. Hatred is the weapon of choice of the weak.

Einstein said it best,
“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”

You and your God are scared of me? now run under your bed... the punisher is coming
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by ScienceWatch: 4:18pm On Jan 25, 2018
JacksonD7:
And one day these fishes decided to live on land. In time, the amphibious offspring of these fishes gave birth to reptiles, and these reptiles gave birth to mammals.

These mammals then gave birth to apes, and the apes have birth to your human ancestors, who have birth to you. I don't know about you, but for me the entire scenario above, sounds like a plot device from a terrible sci-fi novel.

Despite the odds stacked against it, atheists are still die hard believers of evolution. Despite the frequent dismissals of evolution for lack of evidence, despite the theory defying logic and common sense. Despite atheists not knowing all there is to know about evolution, they still believe that evolution is true.

I will never forget the day I listened to Richard Dawkins tell a group of Atheists that their great, great , great grand parents were all fish.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Femi Aribisala: How I Stopped The Rain At My Niece's Wedding / Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th / Pastor E.A Adeboye Plays The Piano (Video, Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.