Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,027 members, 7,807,039 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:48 AM

How To Write Your Name Officially - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Write Your Name Officially (55452 Views)

Npower Physical Verification Starts Officially On Tuesday 14th June To Saturday / Npower (nasims.gov.ng) Portal Has Officially Closed to record updating / Is GNLD/NEOLIFE Officially A Scam? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Write Your Name Officially by bingbagbo(m): 3:06pm On Jan 14, 2018
*DON’T WRITE YOUR SURNAME BEFORE YOUR FIRST NAME*

People must understand that the arrangement of names is standard across the globe. When you’re asked to mention or write your name, call/write your first name first before any other names and the name that comes last is presumed to be your last name/surname. For example, if you’re James and your surname is John, in writing your name, write James John not the other way round.

All over the globe, the standard practice is:
First name
Middle name(s) if any
Surname or Last Name

However, if you write your surname first, always put comma so that readers can identify it as such. For example, if you write *John, James* a reader will know that John is your surname and James is your first name.

Another acceptable practice is — you write your surname in caps and keep the first name in lower keys. For instance, *JOHN James* will communicate to every reader that your surname is John and your first name is James.

Also, if you want to introduce yourself with your titles, mention the first name first in the sequence. For example; I am
*Prof/Dr./Rev./Mr. James John*
It tells a reader that James is your first name while John is your last. In instances where you mention your surname first after your title, don’t add your first name. For example, “Hello, I am Mr. John” don’t add your first name James.

People are losing juicy jobs due to these minor mistakes they make at job interviews. Stop mentioning your surname before your first name. Surnames always come last that’s why in some jurisdictions, they specifically call it your *Last Name*.

Credit: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/english-language-and-literature?wssl=1#

127 Likes 30 Shares

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jan 14, 2018
Thank you!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jan 14, 2018
I tell people this a lot but they don't listen. Even after giving examples. You don't hear them saying Obama Barack or Trump Donald. Or even Buhari Muhammad. But then. . .someone will be arguing with me that its surname first. I wonder how this 'practice' originated in Nigeria sef. I always go the extra mile to make sure I get my surname written in all caps- or a comma placed before my name (or both).

76 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Halyma(f): 6:12pm On Jan 14, 2018
Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by heykims(m): 6:24pm On Jan 14, 2018
Informative
But you are identified by your surname at your place of work.
Dr Surname H.A.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Chukazu: 7:02pm On Jan 14, 2018
Maybe it's an official thing in Nigerian too, because even when you are filling most forms in Nigeria be it online or hardcopy, you are usually required to write the surname first undecided

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by AnodaIT(m): 7:10pm On Jan 14, 2018
The simple rule is, when spoken either you use only surname or first name and surname NEVER surname and first name.

In writing use either Mr. James John or Mr John or John, James or JOHN James.
Where John is the surname.
NEVER use only first name in documents
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by uchennamani(m): 7:14pm On Jan 14, 2018
heykims:
Informative
Dr Surname H.A.
The post reads 'How to Write Your Name Officially'. Stick to the topic please.

16 Likes

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by profstar(m): 7:23pm On Jan 14, 2018
AnonyNymous:
I tell people this a lot but they don't listen. Even after giving examples. You don't here them saying Obama Barack or Trump Donald. Or even Buhari Muhammad. But then. . .someone will be arguing with me that its surname first. I wonder how this 'practice' originated in Nigeria sef. I always go the extra mile to make sure I get my surname written in all caps- or a comma placed before my name (or both).

The confusion starts during primary and secondary schools where for attendance sake and uniformity, surname has to come first, which was kind of understandable however, it became a problem when the students who have gotten used to being called by surname-firstname arrangement, now see it as a norm

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by lilkech(m): 8:04pm On Jan 14, 2018
I remember when this op was playing around in jokes section those years

bingbagbo nice & informative post

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 14, 2018
heykims:
Informative
Dr Surname H.A.
There should be a comma after the surname, still. Or written in all caps. Or both. That is, Dr. SURNAME, H.A . Or, SURNAME, H.A (PhD). Otherwise its still written the way the OP said. For example, Professor K.A Stroud, Professor R.K Rajput. If you studied Engineering I think these names should be familiar to you.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Alphasoar(m): 8:55pm On Jan 14, 2018
Nice info you got here!

1 Like

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Oluwadare: 9:00pm On Jan 14, 2018
Thank you. Learned something here.

1 Like

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by fergie001: 9:47pm On Jan 14, 2018
Good one,op

I have learnt sth today.

3 Likes

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Haywhymido(m): 10:09pm On Jan 14, 2018
Welldone
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by phemmyfour: 5:53am On Jan 15, 2018
Its not practice all over the globe. On CV, surname comes before the first name
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by kolafolabi(m): 7:18am On Jan 15, 2018
Its different in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by dust144(m): 7:19am On Jan 15, 2018
Kai, thanks for these correction.
How many Nigerians care?
Lets enlightened others.

1 Like

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by IMASTEX: 7:20am On Jan 15, 2018
Nice info
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by bumi10(m): 7:21am On Jan 15, 2018
Good writ

Thanks for the info
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by DonOms(m): 7:22am On Jan 15, 2018
phemmyfour:
Its not practice all over the globe. On CV, surname comes before the first name

That's not true. It should carry the comma after it or be in all CAPS. That's the right way as the OP explained.

2 Likes

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Majesticniyi(m): 7:23am On Jan 15, 2018
I'm impressed.
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Flexherbal(m): 7:23am On Jan 15, 2018
Taken
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by EmmyG012(m): 7:23am On Jan 15, 2018
Cool
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by jc4real(m): 7:25am On Jan 15, 2018
OK. Now i know.
Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by phlamesG: 7:25am On Jan 15, 2018
The one that annoys me most is when I see graduates writing or begin their surnames with small letters. angry

2 Likes

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by flyca: 7:27am On Jan 15, 2018
It annoys me when people write the first letter of any name with small letter. Eg flyca instead of Flyca

It's a proper noun for heaven's sake! angry

By the way, FLYCA looks like you are screaming the name! undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by deepwater(f): 7:27am On Jan 15, 2018
DEEPWATER North Sea

Deepwater, North Sea

DEEPWATER NORTH SEA

North Sea Deepwater

N. S Deepwater (Capt.)

6 Likes

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Millz404(m): 7:28am On Jan 15, 2018
In Nigeria, the ugly name is always the surname

5 Likes

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by aybabz101: 7:30am On Jan 15, 2018
Thanks @opp. I am always in dilemma coz of this issue. on my certificate, my name arrangement is first name, middle nam, then surname name respectively- which i believe should b d norm.

I attended an human resource seminar, which i asked the question. the woman said it should b in the respective format of surname, middle name and first name. so i do follow this trend and also, i believe its more common in our society.

moreover, most of the HR are not even aware of the official format. And also, i beleive these arrangements are dependent on countries. The Brits follow ur assertion while i think the americans varry.

1 Like

Re: How To Write Your Name Officially by Noblefreeman(m): 7:34am On Jan 15, 2018
very grateful

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nobody Really Cares, So Hide That Certificate And Just Survive Anyhow / Abdullahi Olatoyan Offered A Job By Uche Nnaji / At What Age Did You Make Your First N100,000?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.