Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,233 members, 7,807,771 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:55 PM

Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) (22409 Views)

80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report / Free Online Course To Boost Your Communication Skill / Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by lavenjcrown(m): 10:39am On Jan 15, 2018
Good day my fellow nairalander, my name is Adewunmi, an OND holder, currently doing my internship here in NNPC DEPOT, Lagos. i am fortunate to be working in the Depot manager's office as the assistant secretary but the issue i'm having here is i don't know how to express myself so well when i'm with my DM or staff that comes around to see the DM. i feel i should be eloquent and bold with speaking to my DM but i feel so shy and less courage when speaking with her. please your advice.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Nobody: 10:53am On Jan 15, 2018
Probably you are suffering from low self esteem or you are just naturally shy. You need to first be courageous and always try to speak up. You could even try to first be friends with your boss ( polite boss - employee friendship), then from there you start to get confident while expressing yourself to him.. It's gradual but surely you'll get there.

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by royallord1(m): 11:24am On Jan 15, 2018
@lalasticlala... Abeg send to FP... To help this guy out... A lot of persons face this problem

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by veekid(m): 12:59pm On Jan 15, 2018
Drink orijin plastic bottle, bullet or any ogogoro liquors when going to office and don't forget to watch American movies

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by nairavsdollars(f): 12:59pm On Jan 15, 2018
Buy Brighter Grammar Books 1 to 4

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by maticdamian(m): 12:59pm On Jan 15, 2018
First to comment omonope

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by tstx(m): 12:59pm On Jan 15, 2018
following
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by tstx(m): 1:00pm On Jan 15, 2018
maticdamian:
First to comment omonope
Obviously you don't know how to count..

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by YomiTee123(m): 1:02pm On Jan 15, 2018
nairavsdollars:
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Gwan2(m): 1:02pm On Jan 15, 2018
Firstly, are you having the challenge with just your boss and his cronies or is a general challenge?
Secondly, you can always communicate with simpler English words...master the act of using simple English words when communicating, you don't have to use complex words that might impair your fluency while speaking. That should come after you have mastered the simpler English words.
Thirdly, obviously your boss is a smart , intelligent and eloquent woman....reason inferiority complex set in while communicating with her..... Improve your vocabulary base by reading more, try to know a little about most things. It will make you more effective and confident thereafter.
Lastly.....Love yourself in your own skin.

48 Likes

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by kokomaster3d: 1:02pm On Jan 15, 2018
Drink 3 Bottles of Origin everyday before going to work. You will thank me later. Funny enough, that was how I overcame lack of confidence. At a point I got used to being confident that even without the beer I still maintain my confidence.

23 Likes

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Nawtiblayse(m): 1:02pm On Jan 15, 2018
You probably lack the confidence you need... See a therapist
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Lexusgs430: 1:02pm On Jan 15, 2018
lavenjcrown:
Good day my fellow nairalander, my name is Adewunmi, an OND holder, currently doing my internship here in NNPC DEPOT, Lagos. i am fortunate to be working in the Depot manager's office as the assistant secretary but the issue i'm having here is i don't know how to express myself so well when i'm with my DM or staff that comes around to see the DM. i feel i should be eloquent and bold with speaking to my DM but i feel so shy and less courage when speaking with her. please your advice.

Enrol in a self building and esteem classes...

1 Like

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by fineguy11(m): 1:02pm On Jan 15, 2018
self confidence is the only solution.

1 Like

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Lilimax(f): 1:03pm On Jan 15, 2018
Keep on speaking...Practice makes perfect. smiley

10 Likes

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by orumba(m): 1:03pm On Jan 15, 2018
HER and SHY? Don't be a learner

1 Like

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Ramanto(m): 1:03pm On Jan 15, 2018
But you write well. It's confidence you need.
That your "staff" should be followed by a plural verb.

5 Likes

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Nawtiblayse(m): 1:03pm On Jan 15, 2018
nairavsdollars:

your brain needs cough syrup

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Elnino4ladies: 1:06pm On Jan 15, 2018
Drink black bullet before going to work. Thank me later

2 Likes

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Lagbaja01(m): 1:06pm On Jan 15, 2018
Dear op, your written english is okay. So I assumed you might be suffering from low self esteem. Solution: You need to change your perspective about your boss, stop viewing them like your boss, treat them like a boss.

4 Likes

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by GrammarCheck: 1:06pm On Jan 15, 2018
lavenjcrown:

Buy Brighter Grammar and visit me for lessons
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Concept(m): 1:06pm On Jan 15, 2018
Lack of confidence, if you are the one that typed the message sent, then you need to just work on your self esteem. You need more social activities to boost your confidence.

3 Likes

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by coolhamid(m): 1:06pm On Jan 15, 2018
OP, don't you think you have put so much information about yourself while creating this thread. Must you tell us you work as assistant Secretary to the NNPC depot manager before driving home your point ?

On the question you raised , I think your problem is that you are scared of making grammatical blunders hence you remain quiet around people. Put the fear aside and start talking with confidence. Making mistake is part of communication process.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Lagbaja01(m): 1:06pm On Jan 15, 2018
op
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by bettercreature(m): 1:07pm On Jan 15, 2018
nairavsdollars:
His problem is his mother tongue this is why you shouldnt allow your children to speak local dialect

6 Likes

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by permsec: 1:07pm On Jan 15, 2018
If you actually wrote that, then i think your problem isnt speaking but sheer inferiority complex.

Speaking is easier than writing.

If na lie, check out our half baked celebrities when they are on interviews.

Op brace up... make sure u eliminate any form of mother tongue for now and speaking english language frquently.

Peace.

7 Likes

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by maticdamian(m): 1:07pm On Jan 15, 2018
tstx:
Obviously you don't know how to count..
1 2 3 4 5 6 I bet you were disappointed

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Kobicove(m): 1:07pm On Jan 15, 2018
You need to put yourself in situations that force you to speak to a gathering of at least 4 people...this will help you to build your self confidence

2 Likes

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by jerflakes(m): 1:07pm On Jan 15, 2018
lavenjcrown:

You go dey very hot tempered

Abi?

2 Likes

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by tartar9(m): 1:07pm On Jan 15, 2018
Nawtiblayse:
You probably lack the confidence you need... See a therapist
Seeing therapist?
for naija grin

6 Likes

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Kylekent59: 1:08pm On Jan 15, 2018
My advise is you visit these two sites. Or you could Google it. Hilfen English grammar exercise and also learn english.com.

Just one week with the site,ur English is gonna be smooth.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reasons To Start A Private School Business In Nigeria / Now I Know Salary Is For Bills Only. / How I Got A Job For An Unadvertised Position

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.