Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,487 members, 7,801,248 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:53 PM

I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. (55154 Views)

My Funny Jjc Experience In Canada........ / Nigerians In U.k, Which University Can I Do My M.ba Programme. Not Expensive / Scholarship For M.sc Program In Memorial University,newfoundland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by JagaJaga1: 11:19pm On May 06, 2010
The school said that the transcripts must be sent by email (what do you mean that the transcripts must be official). Do they mean that the school has to send the transcripts via email by themselves
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by wip4: 8:41am On May 07, 2010
@jaga jaga

Are you a Nigerian or is english your official language? if not you need to write TOEFL or IELTS cos is like you dont understand english very well, so you need to improve your english to study in canada.
It is written on MUN website that Transcripts should be submitted my MAIL not EMAIL pls recheck, MAIL is diffrent from Email. Official Transcripts means your Transcripts should be attested by the governing council of your former University either the registrar or senior authority assigned to sign and stamp transcripts, it should be sealed and signed. Below is the admission requirements you termed difficult on Memorial University of Newfoundland:

Identify and collect all required application materials:
The basic graduate application will include the following items (ensure that your full name and date of birth or Memorial student number appear on all documents):

•Graduate Web Application

Ensure you provide names for all referees.

•Official transcript(s) (must be submitted by mail)
[X] Close Official documents (copies certified by the home university or originals) must be provided and sent directly by the issuing institution for all recognized institutions attended other than Memorial University, from which a degree was earned or transfer credits were awarded.If you are applying for a PhD program, all prior transcripts (for bachelor’s and master’s degree programs or equivalent) must be submitted as part of your application.Official documents (certified copies or originals) noting confirmation of university degree completion are required if notice of degree awarded is not on transcript(s).Notarized English translations are required if official documents are not issued in English or French.If you are a pursuing an undergraduate degree at Memorial, you will be required to submit to the School of Graduate Studies a letter from the Office of the Registrar noting that all degree requirements have been met, or notify us when a degree has been conferred.

•Two (2) letters of appraisal

•$40 (Canadian) Non-refundable application fee
•Proof of English proficiency (must be submitted by mail)
[X] Close International students who have completed secondary schooling, an undergraduate degree program, or a graduate degree program at a recognized institution where the language of instruction is English as per University Calendar regulations are advised to provide a letter from their university stating the language of instruction.All other international students will have to provide minimum scores from acceptable standardized tests listed in the Calendar
TOEFL - Paper-based score of 550 (or higher), or Internet-based with a score of 80 (or higher).
IELTS - An average band score of 6.5 or higher.CAEL - A score between 50 and 60 in each of four bands, with at least 2 band scores of 60.CanTEST - Band Level 4.5 in the listening comprehension and reading comprehension sub-tests and a score of 4 in writing.MELAB - A score of 85% (or higher).Only official and valid score reports sent directly to SGS by the testing agency are acceptable.
•Additional forms and documents may be required.

1 Like

Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by Nobody: 9:02am On May 13, 2010
please guys.I have a first class in botany.can i get a scholarship in Canada with that. pls which universities hav opportunities that i can take advantage of. thanks.
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by newmusic: 11:46am On May 13, 2010
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by wip4: 12:25pm On May 13, 2010
@moroh,

There are alot of university that will offer you scholarships in canada with your class of degree, naturaly most universities in canada do offer grad assitanship to admitted graduate students irrespective of status, for example Memorial offer 18,000CND to admitted master student yearly as master funding which will take care of your living expenses and you hav to do some form of work back to do school like graduate teaching service or research work etc. Also saskatchewn uni etc , just chek braintrack and chek skools in canada that offers your propose master program and email them wat you feel you want to know. you nid to do the search yourself that makes you a better researcher you dont expect anybody to search for you, after you search and talk with the school then come up with any questions for pple living there to contribute. google, braintrack, bing, mama, etc are all search engines to chek wat ever u want online. dont let pple define your destiny do that yourself.
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by wip4: 12:37pm On May 13, 2010
newmusic,

Life generrally is cool over there if you really want it cool yourself, is all about your lifestyle. first i hav not lived for years in canada or saskatchewan , i only hav 1year livin experience over there after i was admitted for my Phd at sask uni, so my research work return me back to turkey and north cyprus after which i shall return back to continue my resaerch nxt yr in saska, i am on a research contract in turkey and EMU which is part of my Phd work. my one yr experience in saskatchewn was okay and i do visit enuf time was there few weeks back. The largest city there is saskatoon where you hav sask uni and that is where most pple live and the capital of saskatchewn is Regina where u hav regina uni. sask has alot of natural resources. farms although the oil industry is larger. Only Alberta exceeds the province in overall oil production. there are alot of job oppurtinities in saska and they hav difrent imigration packages.

I know the school you were refering to , but i will like to tell you that , that school can only offer diploma programs cos is like a apprentice training school where you either add to your degree or learn some trades. it is a nice school. also if you are considering sept entry 2010 , i tink is beter for you to apply now cos is like in Nigeria canadian visa takes upto 4months or so, i hav not applied to canadian visa from Nigeria b4 so i dont know Nigeria procedure for dat it takes less dan 2months in turkey.
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by newmusic: 1:06pm On May 13, 2010
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by Nobody: 1:27pm On May 13, 2010
Thanks man.i'll b in touch.i read aw u helped ppl on d nc thread and i got ur mail.thanks
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by Rare(m): 1:41pm On May 13, 2010
moroh:

please guys.I have a first class in botany.can i get a scholarship in Canada with that. pls which universities hav opportunities that i can take advantage of. thanks.

@Moroh; you would have to be looking to apply to "research-based" Master's programs rather than "taught" programs. Most schools offer scholarships for research Master's programs.
However admissions into such programs usually require you to contact Professors with research interests that match yours (before you apply). Upon their recommendation, you may be admitted and funded.

Use this link to access the leading research-intensive universities in Canada. You can check them in turns for your program of choice (individual websites included).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_Thirteen_(Canadian_universities)
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by JagaJaga1: 2:29pm On May 13, 2010
@newmusic  Their tuition fees are outrageous but i don't care. How are we suppose to pay for the application fee.
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by newmusic: 3:12pm On May 13, 2010
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by JagaJaga1: 3:24pm On May 13, 2010
How are you going to pay for the application fee. They did not give a name of a bank account in the website
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by newmusic: 4:10pm On May 13, 2010
sorry,application fee?

i think it is better to contact the school about that.
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by melodytoda: 4:25pm On May 13, 2010
please who knows how good glasgow caledonian university MBA is
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by wip4: 5:11pm On May 13, 2010
@newmusic,

i never knew it is possible to apply to a school from a country other than country of origin.
Like i am from Nigeria,so it is possible to apply from somewhere like Greece or Norway? Europe to be precise.
If possible,what do someone needs to provide to their embassy?
[quote][/quote]

is there any restriction asking you not to apply to another country? so you have not heard or know anybody schooling in Uk and moved to US before? Anyway wherever you can contact the embassy of your destination and require for the visa documentations and procedure, the only visa i have applied from Nigeria was Turkish visa, South cyprus and Turkish transit visa every other visas to schegen countries and , Uk and canada were applied outside Nigeria cos i meet up with all the requirments as stated by the concerned embassy. if you can provide the requirments as stated by the embassy then why wont you apply? although some embassies might require you to obtain additional documents from your home country cos i remebered applying to newzealand from ankara and i was asked to submit my home country POLICE CHARACTER and submit my application wit police character i have obtaine where i have lived in the past 5yrs. applying to most countries from abroad is even easier compared to naija, call anybody in North or south cyprus and confirm most Nigerians applying to US from there were given 2yrs visa even with just 1200USD in one of the applicants account last yr during MUTALLAB BOMB tin, i was at turkey going to US i was only asked when are you coming back and i said after my conference NOTHING mORE . so is possible sir just ask they will tell you. there few exceptions sha, imagine estonia embassy is not in Nigeria and you can travel to egypt to apply for student permit at egypt eventhough they are repressnted by Netherland embassy in Abuja
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by newmusic: 5:55pm On May 13, 2010
wip4-

though i have heard about that,i was just thinking its only for visiting.

Thanks for the information.

I will find out necessary things from the embassy.

God Bless you.
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by wip4: 6:18pm On May 13, 2010
new music,

you are in which country now and citizen of which country?
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by newmusic: 6:43pm On May 13, 2010
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by wip4: 7:39pm On May 13, 2010
newmusic,

then just email or go to canadian embassy in Greece and ask about you travelling for your program in canada , since they have embassy there or you can just enter Izmir from greece and come and apply, at turkey you dont have problem and since is izmir is close to Greece just come over if Greece saiid NO which i doubt.
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by newmusic: 10:50pm On May 13, 2010
Thanks so much,you are blessed.
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by seanpounds(m): 1:27am On May 17, 2010
hi all, nice thread;
@ wip4; also working on studying MSc. environmental science in your school, but i would need some assistance as regards detailed info on the acceptability of my grades in unisask. also on profs and supervisors in my intended feild of study. i would want to know if and when you will be disposed to help a brotha out. thanks in anticipation.
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by seanpounds(m): 1:31am On May 17, 2010
hi all, nice thread;
@ wip4;  also working on studying MSc. environmental science in your school, but i would need some assistance as regards detailed info on the acceptability of my grades in unisask. also on profs and supervisors in my intended feild of study.  i would want to know if and when you will be disposed to help a brotha out. would have sent you a mail but your address is hidden. hope to read from you soon, thanks in anticipation.
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by wip4: 3:17pm On May 17, 2010
@seapounds,

First you have to chek the website of saskatchewan university and go staright to the intended deptment and look for supervisors and ask them on whatever you need to know, they are open and will surely reply you. You have to have some areas of research interests and chek it out in the dept. UNisasks minimum requiremnts for Nigerian is 2.1 thats is 3.5/5 CGPA and the fees is 3090CAD pa year to be paid in 3 instalments and you have about 16,000CAD Master research fund yearly to support your expenses.

I dont know your grades, so i wont know if you can be accepted but the minimum anyway is 2.1 at unisask but MUN can take 2.2 anyway if is calculated to be C grade in canadian scale. chek North cyprus thread here , you will find my contact.
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by seanpounds(m): 10:10am On May 18, 2010
good day [/b]wip4[b] , i've actually gone through the sask website and i intend doing MSc in Environmental science. the problem is the entry level requirement. i finished with a 2.2 in chemistry science, and i dont know how possible it is to get admitted to this course in your school or if there are waivers on the entry provisions, what i mean is i wouldn't mind doing a semester to make up for the ''inadequacy''. i'm not so particular about the school, but i'll rather a competitive institution. is it advisable to enter for a research or taught course mode, considering the level of financing been offered?
didnt get what you said about your details i.e email address on this thread. and which school is MUN; is it also in canada? guess i'd wouldn't mind if my course of interest is offered. thanx n i appreciate your help, looking forward to studying in Canada.
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by wip4: 2:52pm On May 18, 2010
@seapounds,

Unisask will not admit you with 2.2 , what is your CGPA ? if is lower than 3.3 iam not sure you can enter any university for master in Canada, the school that i have known in canada that do accept Nigerians with high 2.2 is MUN, MEMORIAL UNIVERSITY OF NEWFOUNDLAND canada. anything lower is not accepted so if you have less than 3.3 dont bother apply. Also if you are condering Msc in environmental Chemistry , you must have done alot of analytical and environmental chemistry courses in your former university and you have certain area of environmetal chemistry research you are looking at maybe BIOREMEDIATION OF OIL SPILLAGE ZONE, BIOCOMPABILITY OF GRAFTED CHITOSAN FOR WASTE WATER TREATMENT etc just what area are you looking at in environmental chemistry, first your transcripts count alot , they will look at relevant and related courses that matches with your intended MSc program, i will advise you to apply for Msc in chemistry in MUN if your CGPA is upto what i said above and during your Research you can choose environmental chemistry as your area of specialization. In MUN it is an interdiscplinary program. my email is skull4una@gmail.com pls it is advisable for you to chek the braintrack and google for alot of search. www.mun.ca , i may not respond to queries you are meant to get yourself like where is MUN and how much is the fees cos all these are available on their website. your mssg is welcome

1 Like

Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by webstradamus: 2:07pm On May 22, 2010
@wip4, I stumbled on this thread recently and I just can't help but commend u for ur openness/willingness to help people. Keep it up man!  That said, I have a few questions to ask you:

1. Did ur girlfriend sit for GRE before being accepted to MUN?
2. Did she get any funding upon being accepted?
3. Do u think a nigerian graduate wit a BSc. CGPA well above 4.0 stands a chance of receiving good funding even without GRE?

Thanks in anticipation of a prompt response.
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by wip4: 5:21pm On May 23, 2010
@webstradamus,

Not all courses do require GRE and GRE is not too demanding in most canadian Universities compare to US schools. She did not write GRE but if a a student write it might help in the evaluation but is not compulsory since the school do not request for it, you need to chek the program you are applying to and see if it requires GRE but most MUN and SASK Uni programs do not required that unless some programs. what program are you applying to?

yeah she got GRA(Graduate research assistanship) funding after she was admitted, it came with her admission letter worth 16,000CND pa year and now she got NRSC scholasrhip worth 4000CND again after her first semesta result came out. so almost all admitted Master students are funded in Canada ranging from 14,000 -22,000CNAd pa year depending on school and programs. check out. these funds is inform of GTA or GRA.

i think the first answer replies your last questions. just browse and chek out the school websites and you can email or call them to clear anything you dont understand.

1 Like

Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by Onyeara: 11:08pm On Jun 11, 2010
hi wip 4, i want to know more about mun, i had mu bachelor in mech eng in nigeria with cgpa of 3.81, did masters in uk with cgpa of about 3.4. so want to know my chance of getting a phd in mun, if i cant make it so that i can put in for a research masters instead of phd. please i really need you help for this thanks
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by Fhemmmy: 12:47am On Jun 12, 2010
Never knew that Canada was in high demand like this oh
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by Nobody: 6:23am On Jun 12, 2010
Check www.touristvisas.info
It has information about all types of visas
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by wip4: 4:08pm On Jun 12, 2010
@onyeara,

what program are you looking at in MUN , dont apply for Research master again since you already have master cert. minimum for MUN Phd is 3.0/4.0. just get your refrences and other stuffs and apply. you can tell me your area then i will tell you more about availble Research areas for Phd. phd is better there you can find alot of equipments and support. i do work my resarch also with some Mechaical engineering students, like a guy working on BIOSYNTHESIS OF NOVEL ABSORBENT HYDROGEL FROM PETROLEUM PRODUCTS is also a mechanical engineeting student from Robert Gordon in UK in MUN now and his work is fully sponsored PHd . so you ahve good chances.

just check your research areas, contact the supervisor , apply, get admitted pay fees is just around 700CND pa semester. apply early to get entry scholarship also, then come over. what do you do in your Master in UK?
Re: I Wish To Go For My M.sc Program In Canada. by Onyeara: 9:10pm On Jun 12, 2010
did masters in mech eng in uk, pls could you hint me on available research area in mun, my girl is also interested in mum oil and gas eng research but she has got no oil and gas exp. she will like to know the weather she can be accept with 3.6 as she was told is very competitive.

(1) (2) (3) (4)

My Trip From Benin City To SINGAPORE (photos) / Money-Laden Bullion Van Crashes In Abuja While Speeding / How People Traveled To Onitsha Before The Construction Of The Niger Bridge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.