Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,815 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job (6999 Views)

How To Move On After Failing To Get The Job You Really Want in Nigeria / Just Got A New Job Atlast!!!!! / How To Get A New Job After Losing Your Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by KillerBeauty(f): 11:23am On Jan 16, 2018
How to Get Over Your Fear of Failing at a New Job

Walking into a new job can be scarier than a creepy clown with a sack full of spiders.

You don’t know who to talk to. You don’t know who’s got your back or who’s gunning for you. You don’t know the way things are “normally done.” And you don’t know how—or if—things will work out.

It’s this uncertainty that makes you second-guess what you’re doing and doubt whether you’re good enough to do a fantastic job. So yes, the fear of failing in a new job is real.

Fortunately, though, it’s eminently fixable. Here’s how.

Remember Why They Hired You

You went through the interview process (which likely wasn’t a cake walk), and you landed the job. But now that you’ve got the job and you’re faced with the reality of doing it, it’s easy to forget why you got the job. So let me remind you.

You were hired because you’re the best. Your skills, your experience, your strengths, your talents, and your character make you the very best person to nail this. The fact that your new employer selected you as the best person for the job counts for something.

It means you’re as good as you sometimes hope you are and better than you sometimes think you are.

Get Out of the Narrative

I’m going to screw this up. I can’t figure this out. I’m not up to it. Everyone’s going to see me fail. It’s only a matter of time before this blows up in my face.

Just a handful of the thoughts that might whiz through your mind when you find yourself in a new job.

My point is that your brain will manufacture thoughts all day long. That’s its job. These thoughts and narratives are just thought events, and no more represent your truth than the thought.

When you gently notice the thoughts you have about failing or screwing up, you have the opportunity to see them as just thoughts, not reality. And that gives you the opportunity to say “Oh hey, it’s you, thanks for stopping by. You know what, though? I’m capable of so much more, and I’m going to be just fine.”

Engage, Don’t Resist

Fear of failure drives you to do two things. First, it makes you want to increase your odds of not screwing up. So you work to ensure that what you deliver will be what people expect. You work to ensure the right boxes are ticked. And you work to ensure your own safety as a priority.

Second, it makes you hold back—even just a little bit—so that if things do go pear-shaped you can justify it to yourself and devolve yourself of responsibility. So you don’t voice your opinion in case it gets you noticed. You resist going all in, because it’s safer to keep things at arms length. And you build walls so you know just how far you can safely go.

These things, by the way, are exactly what stifles creativity and innovation, turns work into struggle, and prevents you from doing truly great work. You’re more likely to fail by resisting than you are by engaging.

Know Failure Is Not the Enemy

Let’s get down to brass tacks. There’s no way of knowing how things will turn out ahead of time, and it’s entirely possible that you might screw up and experience failure. So what? You’ve screwed up before, and you’re still here. You’ve failed before, and you learned from it. You’ve been there when the brown stuff hit the fan, and you got through it.

Failure is just something that happens from time to time, like a rain shower or indigestion, It’s no more an indicator of how good you are, how capable you are, or how valuable you are than a hole in your sock is an indicator that you cant be trusted to wear clothes.

So perhaps failure isn’t what you should be fearing after all. In fact, even scarier is not being willing to fail in the first place.

https://www.themuse.com/advice/how-to-get-over-your-fear-of-failing-at-a-new-job

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by KushyKush: 7:14am On Jan 17, 2018
Nice writeup.

By why will anyone be scared to fail in a new job?

If we re not fit for that position, you wouldn't be employed in the first place. Just believe in yourself that's all.

10 Likes

Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by jamexborn(m): 7:15am On Jan 17, 2018
grin
Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by Nobody: 7:15am On Jan 17, 2018
hm
Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by jeeqaa7(m): 7:16am On Jan 17, 2018
K
Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by Nobody: 7:18am On Jan 17, 2018
KushyKush:
Nice writeup.

If we re not fit for that position, you wouldn't be employed in the first place. Just believe in yourself that's all.

Most people lie on their CVs and lie through the interviews grin

8 Likes

Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by OG1BABY(f): 7:20am On Jan 17, 2018
Nice write up op.

1 Like

Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by Talk2Bella(f): 7:21am On Jan 17, 2018
grin see these fears don't go away, u need to start achieving before you're free from the fear of failure, but the truth is you put out what you have inside, if you have a failure mentality about a new job you're gonna limit your potentials and give up easily.

3 Likes

Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by Talk2Bella(f): 7:21am On Jan 17, 2018
KushyKush:
Nice writeup.

targets mate, TARGETS grin
Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by talk2ekpa(m): 7:23am On Jan 17, 2018
Funny. Anyway, it a well written article.

But the major fear this days is more on how to get a job.

But if you get a new job and wondering how not to fail in the new job, just remember the traumatizing fear and obscurity of not getting any job at all, and your brain will adjust immediately

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by KushyKush: 7:24am On Jan 17, 2018
Talk2Bella:

targets mate, TARGETS grin

Lol, that shows incompetence
Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by Talk2Bella(f): 7:25am On Jan 17, 2018
KushyKush:

Lol, that shows incompetence

30M a month, sure u can keep up? grin
Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by KushyKush: 7:27am On Jan 17, 2018
Talk2Bella:

30M a month, sure u can keep up? grin

If my pay is mouthwatering, I'll do 50M in a month.
Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by naturefellow(m): 7:27am On Jan 17, 2018
talk2ekpa:
d
good post!
Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by talk2ekpa(m): 7:29am On Jan 17, 2018
naturefellow:
good post!
grin
Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by oluFELAxy(m): 7:30am On Jan 17, 2018
Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by sunbbo(m): 7:31am On Jan 17, 2018
Nice write up.

Apply For Lilygate Hotel Latest Job Recruitment (8 Positions)

Lilygate Hotel is an amazing experience located on the Lekki Peninsula, Victoria Island in Lagos state, south-west Nigeria. With easy access to Victoria Island and Ikoyi over the newly opened bridge, our hotel allows both business and leisure travellers to enjoy modern and luxurious facilities in a unique boutique ambiance. Lilygate Hotel Latest Job Recruitment (8 Positions) as follows;

1.) Sales Manager

Click Here To View Details

2.) Sous Chef/ Chef De Cuisine

3.) Waiter

4.) Laundry Attendant

5.) Public Area Attendant

6.) Room Attendant

7.) Sales Executive

8.) Demi Chef De Partie (DCDP)

Application Closing Date: 26th January, 2018

Source; http://www.ngjobseekers.com/2018/01/02/lilygate-hotel-latest-job/
Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by EmekaBlue(m): 7:31am On Jan 17, 2018
Fear o...No fear o

Que sera sera
Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by UsefulTunde(m): 7:37am On Jan 17, 2018
Lol! Why will you be afraid to loose a job if you are capable of on the job? only if you have lied on your cv then you will be afraid but when you are the pillar of the company it's them that will be afraid of you leaving them. If you are making cool money for them then you are their money � making Machine and na.

1 Like

Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by Talk2Bella(f): 7:43am On Jan 17, 2018
KushyKush:

If my pay is mouthwatering, I'll do 50M in a month.

we all say that, don't we grin

1 Like

Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by mitchel1(m): 7:53am On Jan 17, 2018
Well Said!!!
Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by KushyKush: 8:01am On Jan 17, 2018
Talk2Bella:

we all say that, don't we grin

I am more of a doer than a talker ma'am
Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by Ekiseme(m): 8:05am On Jan 17, 2018
you cannot come and kill yourself
Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by OmniSparrow: 8:35am On Jan 17, 2018
Exactly what I'm currently going through. Especially when it's a whole new sector and role.

1 Like

Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by worldcop: 9:02am On Jan 17, 2018
Na who job epp? undecided

make una no go learn work! angry angry
Re: How To Get Over Your Fear Of Failing At A New Job by Nobody: 9:15am On Jan 17, 2018
hallelujah!

(1) (Reply)

International Rescue Committee (IRC) Job Openings / MTN Recruiting Channel Development Administrator / Charcoal production Supervisors Needed. 70K Salary, No Minimum Qualification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.