Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,394 members, 7,800,806 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:04 AM

12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew (32298 Views)

See Porsche’s Cayenne Cabrio And Other Official Prototypes You Never Knew / 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew / Car Badge Acronyms You Probably Never Knew The Meaning Of (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by Automotive1(m): 12:43pm On Jan 18, 2018

Popes weren’t always carried in fancy popemobiles and papal transport wasn’t always referred to as a popemobile. The unofficial term began to be used in the 1970s after the creation of a series of white all-terrain vehicles with bubble tops for use by pontiffs

Here are some facts about the Popemobile you probably never knew

1)Before the use of the Popemobile,Popes used to move around on the shoulders of 12 loyal footmen on portable throne chairs calledsedia gestatoria to greet people during special occasions and processions

2)Since 1929,the chosen cars were black and normally from the brand Mercedes Benz, changing the model over the years.

3)From 1980,it started to be painted in white displaying the arms of the Vatican, and includes a plastic transparent cupola with air conditioning and illumination to allow the Pope to stand or sit while traveling and to see and be seen by everyone.

4)While Mercedes has made 12 different ones over the years, SEAT, GMC, Toyota, Fiat, Isuzu, Kia, Hyundai, Land Rover and Jeep have all made models as well.

5)After the 1981 assassination attempt on John Paul II vehicles came fitted with bulletproof glass.

6)John Paul II disliked the name “Popemobile”, saying it was “undignified”.

7)There is no official name for the Popemobile.

8 )In 2006 an armour-plated 24-ton Leyland lorry Popemobile was sold at auction in the UK for GBP 37,000.

9)Many Popemobiles remain in the country they are used in,from a small Seat Panda in Spain to busses (Mexico City), a Ferrari Mondial (Maranello, Italy, a truck Leyland (England) and a Ford (Ireland), and even a military truck FSC Star when the Polish Pope visited his home land.

10)Despite weighing five tons and travels at about 10mph, it can reach speeds of 160mph in order to provide a lightning fast escape.

11)The car comes with a stereo to help pass the time of day.

12)The vehicles always presented the license plate “SCV 1” – Stato della Città del Vaticano (State of the City of the Vatican) and the number 1 symbolizing that it is for the Sovereign Pontiff.

Do you think you know more? Please add...

Source https://autojosh.com/12-interesting-facts-pope-mobile-probably-never-knew/

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by Oblitz(m): 12:47pm On Jan 18, 2018
Hmm
Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jan 18, 2018
angry

∆ Weighing 5tons. Are you kidding me? ∆

2 Likes

Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by asdfjklhaha(f): 2:24pm On Jan 18, 2018
Innoson should be allowed to produce their own popemobile. After all we have catholics in Nigeria and Africa

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by Bossontop(m): 2:25pm On Jan 18, 2018
cheesy
Nawa ooo....which one com be pope mobile again??

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 18, 2018
Looks classic though

1 Like

Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by owoeye2: 2:27pm On Jan 18, 2018
Pope John Paul visited the guy that tried to assassinate him Mehmet Ali Ağca in prison. He eventually converted to Christianity. Now that is called religion of peace.

131 Likes 14 Shares

Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by enigmagu1(m): 2:27pm On Jan 18, 2018
no official name ..... let me give it a name... mercedes p350.... p stands for pope

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by Originality007: 2:28pm On Jan 18, 2018
g
Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by Starboywrites(m): 2:28pm On Jan 18, 2018
Great information!
Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by samuel19222(m): 2:29pm On Jan 18, 2018
are you sure
Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by Kezifils(m): 2:30pm On Jan 18, 2018
Pope
Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by damilare442: 2:30pm On Jan 18, 2018
All this for the pope?
Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by wane01(m): 2:30pm On Jan 18, 2018
Abeg ee He ain't better than those who trek
Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by bencarson007(m): 2:30pm On Jan 18, 2018
Not like the vehicles and heavy convoys of our pastorpreneurs

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by PASCALSILVA(m): 2:30pm On Jan 18, 2018
i even think say na mobile application...mtchewww!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by LordAA(m): 2:31pm On Jan 18, 2018
Make una learn o Don't Morata this opportunity

1 Like

Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by Timiblanko(m): 2:31pm On Jan 18, 2018
Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jan 18, 2018
I need me one of these so my haters can see me rolling when I touch bar.

*waving* hi haters

6 Likes

Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by CASTOSVILLA(m): 2:31pm On Jan 18, 2018
Nice!
Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by tstx(m): 2:31pm On Jan 18, 2018
Of all the popes, Pope Francis is the best.... and i think our Nigerian pastors can learn a lot from him...

See my Signature

6 Likes

Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by Amadaz(m): 2:32pm On Jan 18, 2018
Anti Catholics won't find this thread pleasant at all but that is their business. I'm Catholic and proud.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by dom(m): 2:33pm On Jan 18, 2018
Yes. In 1998 when Pope John Paul II rode in it along Festival Road Abuja, he waved to me and I waved back.
add am to the list.

20 Likes

Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by bishopkay: 2:34pm On Jan 18, 2018
Very insightful
Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by snipesdam(m): 2:39pm On Jan 18, 2018
Pope Francis
Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by rawtouch: 2:40pm On Jan 18, 2018
orait..
Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by haconjy(m): 2:41pm On Jan 18, 2018
I like this
Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by tealaw(m): 2:41pm On Jan 18, 2018
Imteresting post. Just what one needs to start a beautiful day.
Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by dsocioemmy(m): 2:42pm On Jan 18, 2018
The car look simple untill you try something funny trying to hurt the pope. Then you will see the real beast of a car

9 Likes

Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by dsocioemmy(m): 2:42pm On Jan 18, 2018
The car look simple untill you try something funny trying to hurt the pope. Then you will see the real beast of a car.
Re: 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew by mathmatica: 2:43pm On Jan 18, 2018
Amadaz:
Anti Catholics won't find this thread pleasant at all but that is their business. I'm Catholic and proud.
Dear friend,you're catholic,that's fine but have you ever wondered why the 10 commandment in the catholic bible is way different from those of other bibles?
Have you wondered what happened to the second and fourth commandment in the catholic bible?
Please compare the Catholic bible with any other bible and decide for yourself if Mary is still alive or dead and is in the grave awaiting the second coming of her lord and saviour Jesus Christ.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos Of A Man Washing His Car In A Flooded Rivers Road / Types Of Cars According To Their Body Style / This Three-wheeled Keke Napep Just Sets A 31-minute Nurburgring Lap Record

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.