Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,153 members, 7,780,110 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:45 AM

Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica (62278 Views)

A Brief Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / Ooni Of Ife: The Igbo Race Is First In The World To Discover, Nurture Wealth / Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Chukazu: 8:44am On Jan 23, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Imo and Abia doest not use soso. And naani and soso mean the same thing . Dont teach people what you dont know

Did you see the person I quoted or you just woke up from a nightmare to jump into conclusion? undecided

And where did I state they are different, or you can't comprehend?
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by musicwriter(m): 8:57am On Jan 23, 2018
SIRTee15:

I'm Yoruba but I absolutely agree with u....
U cant claim civilisation without anything to show for it....
An advanced civilisation goes beyond conquering n subjugating ur neighbours....
There must be both physical n social evidence of such empire visible to all.....
I live in canterbury and I marvel at the city walls, cathedrals, castles etc built hundreds of years ago by its inhabitants.....
Thousands come from all over the world just to visit these monuments.....
Where is the contemporary of such in ancient African civilisation....
None bothered to invent the wheel to make transportation easier....
None made effort to have an organised n structured religion strong enough to resist foreign ones.....
None of the traditional healers made any effort whereby knowledge of herbs could be taught n passed on in a structured manner in order to prevent abuse n corruption of the practice.... .
Ancient civilisation has a standard definition n redefining it to suit to own ego is unacceptable.....
Rather, let's learn from our ancestors n ensure we build a proper African civilisation we can proudly bequeath to our children.

You live in Canterbury where they've dumbed you down that black people didn't achieve anything? Why not dive into history and find out whether that's true?

Why not at least go to museums across Europe and ask for African collection that they have all over their museums? Of course, tourists flock to Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Mali, to behold ancient African monuments.

The world's first technological wonder, the pyramid was built in Africa. It is the largest tourist attraction in the world!.

One of the oldest church was built on solid rock in Ethiopia.

One of the oldest school in the world was built in Timbuktu, Mali.

What do you mean we didn't have organized religion and society? Oba Ovonramwen ruled between 1888 – 1897. He was dethroned by Britain via act of violence when his community were having a ''religious'' festival and he told Britain to stay off Bini kingdom until the end of the ceremony. The British thieves refused and invaded him land. And there were hundreds of such organized governments all over Africa.

For your information, there were schools in Africa long before Britain. In fact, the oldest university in the world was in Africa. See Guinness world records http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/oldest-university

The idea of monarchy and government originated in Africa thousands of years before the British monarchy. As far back as 3, 000 BC, a woman had been a queen ruler of a nation in Africa, when Britain and the British monarchy didn't even exist.

List of women that had ruled Africa in ancient times:-

Queen Mertyt-Neith was Female Pharaoh during the 1st Dynasty of Egyptian monarchy- 3000 BC.
Queen Khentkaus was Female Pharaoh during the 4th Dynasty of Egyptian monarchy- 2613-2494 BC.
Queen Ankhnesmeryre II was Female Pharaoh during the 6th Dynasty of Egyptian monarchy- 2345–2181 BC.
Queen Neithhikret was also a Female Pharaoh during the 6th Dynasty of Egyptian monarchy- 2148-2144 BC.
Queen Ashotep was Female Pharaoh during the 18th Dynasty of Egyptian monarchy- 1550–1295 BC.
Queen Ahmose was also a Female Pharaoh during the 18th Dynasty of Egyptian monarchy- 1550-1525 BC.
Queen Hatshepsut was Female Pharaoh during the 18th Dynasty of Egyptian monarchy- 1479-1425 BC.
Queen Nefertiti was Female Pharaoh during the 18th Dynasty of Egyptian monarchy- 1353-1336 BC.
Queen Tausret was Female Pharaoh during the 19th Dynasty of Egyptian monarchy- 1187-1185 BC.
Queen Sobeknefru was Female Pharaoh during the 12th Dynasty of Egyptian monarchy- 1767-1759 BC.

Remember, this was thousands of years when the British monarchy have not even began!!. The concept of democracy, man and woman being equal in ancient Egypt (Africa) was so shocking to Herodotus (a Greek historian) when he visited Egypt in 450 BC. He was so surprised about democracy in Egypt that he noted “Egyptians have reversed the ordinary practices of mankind”. He was surprised because at this time Europe was still in total darkness, even till the 1920's women were not allowed to vote in Britain or own property in other parts of Europe.

And they also lied to you there were no cities? Of course, they're the same cities we live in today, they were not kept as monuments. One was even discovered in Eredo, somewhere in Yoruba land and according to reports, it dates back to 5,000 BC.

In fact, a Dutch explorer was more honest about our past. When the Dutch first arrived Benin kingdom in Nigeria around the 16th century they were so shocked about the rate of development they saw over here, so much that their expedition leader had to report back to Europe saying ''The town seem to be very great. When you enter into it you go into a great broad street, well paved, which seems to be seven or eight times broader than the Warmoes street in Amsterdam.

The king’s palace is a collection of buildings which occupy as much space as the town of Harlem, and which is enclosed with walls. There are numerous apartments for the Prince’s ministers and fine galleries, most of which are as big as those on the exchange at Amsterdam. They are supported by wooden pillars encased with copper, where their victories are depicted, and which are carefully kept very clean.

The town is composed of thirty main streets, very straight and 120 feet wide, apart from an infinity of small intersecting streets. The houses are close to one another, arranged in good order. These people are in no way inferior to the Dutch. They wash and scrub their houses so well that they are polished and shinning like glass''.
And this scenario wasn't peculiar to Benin Kingdom. The Ashanti king in ancient Ghana kingdom was so rich that his official seat was made of REAL gold. Africa was extremely very prosperous before Europe made contact with us.

As a matter of fact, the British stole a lot of artworks from Oba Ovonramwen palace after they captured him in late 1897. Why would they want to steal a substandard artwork?.

Binis were the first people to develop copper or brass cast artwork, long before Europeans or any of the known world at the time. Their artworks were so superior to Europeans at that time, such that it was and is still a subject of display in museums worldwide. In fact, white people have refused to return artworks stolen from Bini empire, cause they're so precious. Again, visit museums in Europe and ask for African collection.

But everything changed once Europe made contact with us around 1400 AD. We became conquered and were no longer in charge of our destiny. Instead of developing our lands, African natural and human resources were being used to develop Europe. Therefore, we lost steam and were thrown into total darkness as a people for over 400 years!. But, within this 400 years Europe entered the age of technology and industrial revolution, all made possible by exploitation of Africa. Trains were built, cars built, advance in physics, chemistry, biology, e.t.c happened within this period, but sadly Africa was never a part of this technological revolution. Just imagine where a people could not make a single development for 400 years!.

Worst of it all is that before leaving they installed a brainwashing education to keep us in perpetual imperial control in absentia- which is the same thing you've noticed as ''something wrong with the brain of blackman'' in Africa. Our current situation is as a result of many years of slavery, colonialism, intimidation, fake education/mis-education/indoctrination.

This fake education is our worst undoing today as its not allowing us understand the greatness of our ancestors. Instead we wait for same white people to tell us what to believe. How on earth do you expect Europeans to tell you the truth in Canterbury?

For more information, see why Why Europeans Were Able to Conquer Africa And the Rest of the World http://www.africason.com/2017/09/why-europeans-were-able-to-conquer.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Customer80: 9:27am On Jan 23, 2018
You are a known Igbo hater who always denigrates anything about us and promotes your ethnicity
maclatunji:

Actually, I was busy minding my business pointing out an historical observation until some of your kinsmen I imagine started making noise. That post makes you feel somehow?

Sorry, your whiney friends asked for textual evidence, I simply supplied it. One is still chestbeating #Smiling.

I am definitely not hating on Igbos but seemingly, you guys don't learn from history.When and if you do, you can unlock your obviously great potential.
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Customer80: 9:29am On Jan 23, 2018
Malawian:
Unripe Plantain in my dialect is called "Unyere" I dont known anything like ogede.
Both ripe or unripe is called UKAM in my town
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by BabaIbo: 1:12pm On Jan 23, 2018
RedboneSmith:

You people's problem is that you argue without any sense of history whatsoever. You think because rice is widely grown in Ebonyi today it was always so. Potato is an Irish staple today, but it was only five hundred years ago or so that it was learnt from Latin America, and the name was adapted from Native American words.

African rice and millet and other African cereals were first domesticated in the savanna area of West Africa, among the Mande peoples, and then passed through other savanna peoples like the Hausa before reaching people living in the forested regions to the south (e.g., the Igbo).

your quote is a display of ignorance in the highest other...

But it's now in history that Irish people have their own specie of potato...
The question or argument is simply "is rice cultivated in the south western part of nigeria both in the past and in the present?)... we are not arguing or talking about the first people that cultivated rice in Nigeria since no definite source linked it to a particular zone, what you can only find is suggestions...

I checked a file on rice and there is no record linking the domestication of rice to a particular country but researchers are linking it to two countries in south eastern asia but it's certain it's domesticated in Asia

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by BabaIbo: 1:30pm On Jan 23, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Imo and Abia doest not use soso. And naani and soso mean the same thing . Dont teach people what you dont know

He is right and you are also right...

some part of igboland use soso while another part use nani... but in a broader way they can mean the same thing...
translate "mom is calling only you" and also translate "only you is God" to igbo...

we have igbo nsugbe and igbo ndi... maybe you are using your own native igbo for a general igbo matter...

same way yorubas have varieties too... but there is a general one that everybody understand irrespective of your place
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by doziex: 1:42pm On Jan 23, 2018
It's true. Cause Buju Banton sings, " show me UNU hand " show me UNU steel
Gangsta step up in the club and I'm no fraid, Gangsta brandish dem gun and get paid, Gangsta haul off de bomb and grenade
Etc,etc,etc.

So UNU is used in place of your just as in ibo language e.g. Aka UNU, your hands

1 Like

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 1:55pm On Jan 23, 2018
BabaIbo:

The question or argument is simply "is rice cultivated in the south western part of nigeria both in the past and in the present?)... we are not arguing or talking about the first people that cultivated rice in Nigeria since no definite source linked it to a particular zone, what you can only find is suggestions...

I checked a file on rice and there is no record linking the domestication of rice to a particular country but researchers are linking it to two countries in south eastern asia but it's certain it's domesticated in Asia

There’s ofada rice in the SW. Did you know that?

1 Like

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by RedboneSmith(m): 2:22pm On Jan 23, 2018
BabaIbo:

Between the two of us, who is the ignorant one now? Just look at your ignorance-ridden comment. At your age you don't know that the southeast Asian rice is a different specie of rice that we only began to eat in modern times.

Before the Asian rice got to us, Africans in the inland delta in the savanna country of Mali (who were ethnically Mande people) had domesticated a local specie of rice, which subsequently spread to other parts of West Africa. The Mande empires had contacts with the Hausa, but never had contact with the Igbo. Consequently rice got to the Hausa first, and they had a name for it which was passed on to the Igbo later.

Look, son, pick up a book. I have neither the time nor the patience to educate you. That is the job of your father and your hapless teachers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by bibe(m): 10:12pm On Jan 23, 2018
Originalsly:
I hear you.Hmmm...so during this period of war he was exploring... and knew they were Igbos...maybe they were Albinos?...or offsprings of his fellow European travellers who sexually exploited the natives?...like they do today? So what happened to those light skinned Igbos he said he saw?...they became extinct?
No offence....I just happen to be a critical thinker!

I'll ignore your condescending attempt at sarcasm and elaborate on my initial point with sources.

https://www.nairaland.com/289678/lightskin-igbos-arent-new-concept

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=_lmFzFgsTZYC&pg=PA168&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=9QORC_cr86sC&pg=PA46&dq=mulatto+eboe&as_brr=1&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=mulatto%20eboe&f=false

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=PrPxWLSrp78C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&redir_esc=y&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

Try a simple search string of "light skinned..." on google and you'll have Igbo thrown up in the prediction engine.

As for the warring period, it wasn't continuous but in breaks. Cheers.
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by bibe(m): 10:23pm On Jan 23, 2018
Feraz:
Poorly equipped military yet, they waged war against the British for close to 40 years. The Binis have never claimed to conquer Igboland or fight them unlike when of recent, Lagos and Ado-Ekiti were being debated. I really do wonder where you get your history from. Isn't it Maclatunji, the one who enjoys twisting things to suit his purpose? undecided

LOL! Of a truth, the narrative has been making sense.

On the contrary, I think the Nok culture (from which it was claimed the Yoruba and Bini culture are an offshoot of it) was the oldest in present day Nigeria.

The article tries to trace the origins of the Edo and Yoruba to the NOK culture, however my assertion was about kingdom (a politically organised society having a monarchial form of government).

Funny enough an excerpt from the article lends credence to my claim regarding the initial influence of the Nri kingdom on the later Bini Empire. Quoted below;

"And Ben-Amos points in connection with Osanobua and the Ogiso, rulers of the 1st dynasty in Benin, to the east: “The east is the cardinal direction associated with the creator god, Osanobua, and with the creation of land, which first rose out, of the primordial waters in a place which today is the Igbo town of Agbor to the east of Benin. All the sites where once the Ogisos built their palaces and ancient quarters are on the eastern side of the present City” (Ben-Amos 1980: 1,3).
Jungwirth reports in view of the indicated direction: “Interessanterweise deuten alle Aussagen des Ohenso von Ugbekun, der Priester aher Mtire der Ogiso, darauf hin, daB der erste Ogiso aus dem Nord-Osten gekommen ist; Andererseits erinnern die ErzLihlungen über den ersten Ogiso an Ursprungsmyth.der Yoruba. DaB es sich aber nicht um Yoruba-Kinige handelt, wird durch den Titel Ogiso angedeutet” (1968: 68).

The east plays a certain role in the Edo calendar which eventually corresponds to the above-said. Egharevba notes: There are four days in the week representing the four corners of the earth. Eken the east, Orie the west, Aho the south, Okuo the north. Eken is a day of rest.” “People do not as a rule go to the farm on that day, but they may do any work in the home. Councils are usually held on this day.. .“ (1949: 81; see also Egharevba 1960: 84) While the days associated with the south and the north were market ones, another native writer amplifies, “Eken and Orie, which also mean the rising and the setting sun, belonged to the gods. It. was dangerous to travel on these two days in case one met the gods” (Omoregie 1972: 9 f)

The subject should not be concluded without mentioning one of the oldest sites of discovery of bronze inside the West African forest. T. Shaw made some astonishing discoveries at Igbo-Ukwu (east of the Niger, Awka District). Prominent among the findings .is the burial chamber of: a dignitary which was dated to about A.D 900 (Shaw 1979). There is no evidence of connections between the Igbo-Ukwu culture, whose origin are not known up till now, and Benin. The Igbo-Ukwu bronzes show no stylistic similarity to those known from Ife and Benin. Nevertheless, two features are remarkable: the facial marks depicted on a bronze head are nearly as prominent as we know them from the Ife heads. Furthermore, there are some snake representations similar to those known from Benin. However, this is not unusual in West Africa"

Those were the same four days of Eke, Oye (Orie), Afor and Nkwo as given by the Eze Nri which constituted the weekdays of the Igbo people of the then Nri Kingdom which already existed before the Bini Empire.
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by BabaIbo: 10:37pm On Jan 23, 2018
RedboneSmith:

Between the two of us, who is the ignorant one now? Just look at your ignorance-ridden comment. At your age you don't know that the southeast Asian rice is a different specie of rice that we only began to eat in modern times.

Before the Asian rice got to us, Africans in the inland delta in the savanna country of Mali (who were ethnically Mande people) had domesticated a local specie of rice, which subsequently spread to other parts of West Africa. The Mande empires had contacts with the Hausa, but never had contact with the Igbo. Consequently rice got to the Hausa first, and they had a name for it which was passed on to the Igbo later.

Look, son, pick up a book. I have neither the time nor the patience to educate you. That is the job of your father and your hapless teachers.

you have issue with your comprehension ability... did you read what I wrote there or the pic I attached...
it was in the pic I attached Nigerian rice is the least grade type of rice, I know that already, so don't dodge my question. ..
I think I have to be a bit harsh at this level because that is what you need... I asked you a simple question but you keep avoiding it, you are only reading what I put up in the picture for me... answer the question relating to the topic... Is rice grown in Yoruba land?
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Originalsly: 2:02am On Jan 24, 2018
bibe:

I'll ignore your condescending attempt at sarcasm and elaborate on my initial point with sources.

https://www.nairaland.com/289678/lightskin-igbos-arent-new-concept

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=_lmFzFgsTZYC&pg=PA168&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=9QORC_cr86sC&pg=PA46&dq=mulatto+eboe&as_brr=1&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=mulatto%20eboe&f=false

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=PrPxWLSrp78C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&redir_esc=y&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

Try a simple search string of "light skinned..." on google and you'll have Igbo thrown up in the prediction engine.

As for the warring period, it wasn't continuous but in breaks. Cheers.
Why were they called West Indies Eboes? Wouldn't that lead one to believe that they were from the West Indies?....that somehow returned to Africa?.... and their light skin was as a result of the slave masters impregnating the slaves? Then if they were there before the slave trade then why would they be termed West Indies Eboes?
Don't take this as veiled sarcasm or such...... I just love to chew very well before I swallow.(just hit the first reference and my comment based on that)
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by bigfrancis21: 4:27am On Jan 24, 2018
Originalsly:
Why were they called West Indies Eboes? Wouldn't that lead one to believe that they were from the West Indies?....that somehow returned to Africa?.... and their light skin was as a result of the slave masters impregnating the slaves? Then if they were there before the slave trade then why would they be termed West Indies Eboes?
Don't take this as veiled sarcasm or such...... I just love to chew very well before I swallow.(just hit the first reference and my comment based on that)

You should learn to read and understand properly next time before commenting.

'All the Negroes imported from these vast and unexplored regions..are called in the West Indies Eboes...'

2 Likes

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by bibe(m): 5:55am On Jan 24, 2018
Originalsly:

Go through the other books, you'll see where there's specifically red ibo (that book had some words and their meaning) and in another book talking about the light skin color compared to the other slaves (although they noted it was more prevalent with the female ibo slaves)

The West Indies tag was giving a specific location of the ibo slaves in question. Just like in some books describing African countries before outright colonisation, they'll refer to the West African countries lumped together as the country of Guinea.
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 7:20pm On Jan 26, 2018
bigfrancis21:

Haha...you for mention me at least na make I enter here finish people like scholes0 tongue cheesy

It's amazing how these people come back to life on Igbo threads. cheesy Honestly speaking, 'Igbo' should be the miraculous word to wake up many people up from the dead. cheesy

And listen, do you know the name of that weird Nollywood movie where the fat man don vex with his wife for coming home late from church and later has some juju done on him and loses his cock or something?

1 Like

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by bigfrancis21: 8:39pm On Jan 26, 2018
Probz:

And listen, do you know the name of that weird Nollywood movie where the fat man don vex with his wife for coming home late from church and later has some juju done on him and loses his cock or something?

I don't remember o cry

1 Like

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 2:20pm On Jan 27, 2018
Praise God I’ve got a book about the traditional Igbo food system. I’ll post some pages to dispel some myths coming from the Yoruba demons on this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 2:21pm On Jan 27, 2018
bigfrancis21:

I don't remember o cry

There’s too many of those same old same old movies with different actors to remember innit. No yawa.

2 Likes

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 3:18pm On Jan 29, 2018

2 Likes

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by SakuraSimiola: 10:17am On Feb 04, 2018
A lot of Igbo were sent through the bight of biafra via Arochukwu

Here is the history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=463L0sbXu34

1 Like

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Awoofawo(m): 2:56pm On Feb 05, 2018
Lordave:
I don't think you were referring to me but I me chip in, anyway.
What influence do Edo people had or have on Igbos?If Edo had an influence on Igbos it was on people of Onicha and the influence was contained there in Onicha or maybe a bit further into Anambra and not Igbos in General as you and your mischievous fellows are trying to paint it.

Your last paragraph, though. Where there ever a German, Italian, Greek or Roman invasion of England? How do you explain the so many borrowed words in English language?

Your ignorant self won't let you know that there is no superior language. You think inferior languages borrow from superior ones.
All those race you mention actually ruled over England at one time or the other....you don't anything bro!
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Nobody: 4:15am On Feb 07, 2018
scholes0:

See this one, no one is arguing the presense of some Arabic and Hausa words in Yoruba due to centuries of contact.. We all know what words in Yoruba are of Hausa origin via Nupe and others.

Besides there are Hausa words of Yoruba origin as well, such as Ashishi (Eshinshin) Housefly, Agwaluma (Agbalumo) African star apple, Alade (Elede) Pig Etc. There is many more.

So Yoruba and Hausa borrowing goes both ways.

There are plenty Hausa words in Igbo too don’t lie and pretend as if Hausa words exist only in yoruba, lol- that means the Igbo language is the most deficient in nigeria, cause they pick words from every corner.
The bone of contention here are YORUBA authentic words that have diffused into languages like Igbo which they now claim today like AKARA, EGUSI, etc.

Very soon, Igbos will claim Kpomo, Gele, Ogede and many more Yoruba words.

Just watch.

Yes. Things like these are bound to happen especially for people in the same country but House fly is called kuda in Hausa. Agwaluma definitely sounds like a yoruba word plus I don't think we grow the fruit in the north. Alade well I don't know cause we don't have pigs in hausaland so probably a yoruba word as well.
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Born2Breed(f): 9:17am On Aug 10, 2018
baby124:

Igbos call egusi melon. Egusi is not an Igbo word or food. Stop misinforming. Even the way you cook Egusi is very typical of Yoruba soups. We cook soup differently from others with a palm oil and pepper base.

Melon is English.

Who cooks Egusi soup with groundnut oil? grin

The Yoruba Egusi soup can't be compared to the Igbo's Egusi soup. I've tasted both and I'm not from any of the tribes,the IBO Egusi soup is real deal and the Yoruba's is always supported with stew(that one na soup)?
BTW the best vegetable soup is from Yoruba efo riro.
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by baby124: 12:36pm On Aug 10, 2018
Born2Breed:

Melon is English.

Who cooks Egusi soup with groundnut oil? grin

The Yoruba Egusi soup can't be compared to the Igbo's Egusi soup. I've tasted both and I'm not from any of the tribes,the IBO Egusi soup is real deal and the Yoruba's is always supported with stew(that one na soup)?
BTW the best vegetable soup is from Yoruba efo riro.
Yea right. Egusi is a Yoruba word first and foremost. We own the soup my dear. I have never seen Igbo egusi soup anywhere. When I was growing up, Igbo Egusi soup did not exist. They have their own native soups and so do we. I think Yoruba’s have the best soups. I have tried Igbo and even Akwa Ibom soups and they are not delicious to me. The soup is too watery or the vegetable too hard. Very overhyped. It must be based on palette or taste for anyone to call it the best soups.
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by RedboneSmith(m): 12:44pm On Aug 10, 2018
baby124:

Yea right. Egusi is a Yoruba word first and foremost. We own the soup my dear. I have never seen Igbo egusi soup anywhere. When I was growing up, Igbo Egusi soup did not exist. They have their own native soups and so do we. I think Yoruba’s have the best soups. I have tried Igbo and even Akwa Ibom soups and they are not delicious to me. The soup is too watery or the vegetable too hard. Very overhyped. It must be based on palette or taste for anyone to call it the best soups.

When you say there was no 'Igbo egusi soup when you were growing up', are you saying Igbo people were not making and eating egwusi soup when you were growing up?

5 Likes

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by baby124: 12:46pm On Aug 10, 2018
RedboneSmith:

When you say there was no 'Igbo egusi soup when you were growing up', are you saying Igbo people were not making and eating egwusi soup when you were growing up?
They were. The Yoruba type. Now the delicacy has spread around the country. Even delta people now have Egusi peppersoup.
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 2:09pm On Aug 10, 2018
baby124:

They were. The Yoruba type. Now the delicacy has spread around the country. Even delta people now have Egusi peppersoup.

The only thing that’s spread is the word egusi itself. Egusi’s been in Igboland since time immemorial. Especially in Anambra State.

3 Likes

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Born2Breed(f): 2:39pm On Aug 10, 2018
baby124:

Tah! Aside Efo riro which I like so much because of the pepper,Yoruba don't have any other soup.
Is it the okro or ewedu with stew? Or the watering Egusi with stew?
I have tasted Egusi from both IBO n Yoruba buka,the IBO's own wins anytime. Don't know much about other IBO soup but don't compare Yoruba soup with Akwa Ibom,the Akwa Ibom are number in Nigeria when it comes to variety of delicious looknsalivate soup.
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by baby124: 2:44pm On Aug 10, 2018
Born2Breed:

Tah! Aside Efo riro which I like so much because of the pepper,Yoruba don't have any other soup.
I have tasted Egusi from both IBO n Yoruba buka,the IBO's own wins anytime. Don't know much about other IBO soup but don't compare Yoruba soup with Akwa Ibom,the Akwa Ibom are number in Nigeria when it comes to variety of delicious looknsalivate soup.
I have tasted Calabar soup and I have never enjoyed it my dear, it’s my least favorite soup. There are many Yoruba soups that you will never eat. Don’t go by Lagos Standards, Lagos is a fast city and people will eat what is fast. Doesn’t mean that there are no variety to Yoruba soups. By the way most tribes don’t have more than 4 or 5 soups so it’s funny when you guys come and say Yoruba don’t have soup. I won’t go down this road with you. I know you are Igbo, but you want to twist it around and call it IBO to make you sound not Igbo. I don’t have time for this. The efo riro you eat in Lagos is not even the correct one. Efo riro is made of about 4 different types of vegetables. So you see, what you eat in Lagos is commercial and meant for busy and hungry people, it has no bearing on the true nature of Yoruba foods.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by ewa26: 3:01pm On Aug 10, 2018
hon what about jollof rice, Ibo or Yoruba
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by ewa26: 3:03pm On Aug 10, 2018
Born2Breed:

hon, what tribe in Nigeria cooks beta jollof rice, Yoruba or Igbo

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Oba Aruna Ishola: "Any Oba Who Sees Me Will Die" / Ooni, Enitan Ogunwusi, Returns From The Forest With The Traditional Crown / Imo State Mandatory Bride Prize List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.