Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,187 members, 7,780,296 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:51 AM

Why Would You Serve God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Would You Serve God (980 Views)

I Want To Serve God / Do You Think Anyone Will Serve God If There Was No Evil Atall? / Is Being A Worker In Church The Only Way To Serve God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Would You Serve God by phoenixsta: 3:44pm On Apr 13, 2010
I was in the office and this Argument emerge and i asked him a question and he answered with this question why would you serve God,

I was of the Opinion that i served God because he is all in all, and the only one that can grant every of my heart desires .
I see no rason why i should worship anything that does answer my request. so i just want know why you would sever my feel is not a bad one neither is my opinio
Re: Why Would You Serve God by Mudley313: 5:17pm On Apr 13, 2010
I dont think if there was an existing creator entity, he/she/is would care that much for the servitude, worshiping or praises of mere mortals n be bothered about the trivialities of u serving another non-existent entity. only egoistic, tyrannical "human" rulers are concerned wit such trivialities
Re: Why Would You Serve God by jagunlabi(m): 5:40pm On Apr 13, 2010
Mudley313:

I dont think if there was an existing creator entity, he/she/is would care that much for the servitude, worshiping or praises of mere mortals n be bothered about the trivialities of u serving another non-existent entity. only egoistic, tyrannical "human" rulers are concerned wit such trivialities
Excellent reply, mudley.
The poster has just stated why he has to worship God, "because God provides nice things for whoever worship him". From that statement, you can see that egoistic and materialistic reasons are usually the main grounds for the urge to worship a being that neither asks nor needs their worship or servitude in the first place.
Nigerians have managed to convince themselves that they have to worship God by force(or atleast pretend to) before this god can bestow his materialistic blessings on them. And failure to worship means zero material blessings.
In that sense, the relationship between a typical nigerian churchgoer and his/her god is purely materialistic, very much like the relationship between a golddigger and a wealthy person.
Re: Why Would You Serve God by deluxecad(m): 6:49pm On Apr 13, 2010
Do we need reasons to worship God? I don't think so. Everything about God is just faith-based, the belief that He exists in the first place, the belief dat He created all things, the belief dat He sent His son to die for a people most of whom don't know Him, If we worship God based on things we believe we gain from Him or things that happen around us, believe me, most people would not do God any worship. Good and bad things happen. It can only be by faith!
Re: Why Would You Serve God by Fhemmmy: 7:18pm On Apr 13, 2010
If i dont serve He that is greater than the greatest, who else would i wanna serve?
Re: Why Would You Serve God by jagunlabi(m): 7:31pm On Apr 13, 2010
Fhemmmy:

If i dont serve He that is greater than the greatest, who else would i wanna serve?
Serve mankind? Serve humanity by leaving this world in a better shape than you met it? Show me a better way to serve the creator.
Re: Why Would You Serve God by Fhemmmy: 8:06pm On Apr 13, 2010
jagunlabi:

Serve mankind? Serve humanity by leaving this world in a better shape than you met it? Show me a better way to serve the creator.

What other way to do that than to " love the way He has ordered us to" love your neighbors as yourself and even your enemies, what other way makes the world better than we met it?
Re: Why Would You Serve God by jagunlabi(m): 8:22pm On Apr 13, 2010
Fhemmmy:

What other way to do that than to " love the way He has ordered us to" love your neighbors as yourself and even your enemies, what other way makes the world better than we met it?
The "way" he "ordered" is neither here nor there. We should just love our neighbours as ourselves simply because it is a compassionate thing to do, and not because we have been "ordered". The very act of loving should have a merit on it's own.
Another way to serve is to stop thinking that you have enemies, then you won't even have to love them because they wouldn't exist, anyway.
Re: Why Would You Serve God by Fhemmmy: 8:23pm On Apr 13, 2010
jagunlabi:

The "way" he "ordered" neither here nor there. We should just love our neighbours as ourselves simply because our neighbour is us, and not because we have been "ordered".
Another way to serve is to stop thinking that you have enemies, then you won't even have to love them because they wouldn't exist, anyway.

The best way to wanna love is to think of the supreme being that never said, we have to love him and dont care about anyone else.
Re: Why Would You Serve God by jagunlabi(m): 8:27pm On Apr 13, 2010
Fhemmmy:

The best way to wanna love is to think of the supreme being that never said, we have to love him and dont care about anyone else.

You don't have to think of any being before loving, just become that love and the rest will follow. You don't need any approval from above to do that, and if you do, then your love is nothing but fakery.

We don't have to love "him". All we need do is just become love in order to truly love. The rest will follow.
Re: Why Would You Serve God by Fhemmmy: 8:31pm On Apr 13, 2010
jagunlabi:

You don't have to think of any being before loving, just become that love and the rest will follow. You don't need any approval from above to do that, and if you do, then your love is nothing but fakery.

We don't have to love "him". All we need do is just become love in order to truly love. The rest will follow.

There is a difference btw fake and being thought to do something, cos if not cos of the grace of that God, some people are just not loveable.
Re: Why Would You Serve God by jagunlabi(m): 8:41pm On Apr 13, 2010
Fhemmmy:

There is a difference btw fake and being thought to do something, cos if not cos of the grace of that God, some people are just not loveable.
Anybody who is not loveable has him or herself to blame. That is not your problem, but theirs.
Re: Why Would You Serve God by Fhemmmy: 8:50pm On Apr 13, 2010
jagunlabi:

Anybody who is not loveable has him or herself to blame. That is not your problem, but theirs.

That is where the supreme one come into greatness, that it is not the fault of that person, but that we should love the person regardless.
Re: Why Would You Serve God by jagunlabi(m): 10:00pm On Apr 13, 2010
Fhemmmy:

That is where the supreme one come into greatness, that it is not the fault of that person, but that we should love the person regardless.
I did not say it is that person's fault for not being loveable, but rather his own PROBLEM that he has to deal with on his own. That is part of his own personal evolutionary path. You can't help him there, but rahter he has to help himself. All that you can do is judge him not, but show love and understanding.
Re: Why Would You Serve God by jagunlabi(m): 10:06pm On Apr 13, 2010
To serve God in truth is not to be a religious bigot, but rather to love all of God's creations equally, no matter from whatever background they originate. All is ONE, and the ONE is GOD.
Re: Why Would You Serve God by phoenixsta: 5:43pm On Apr 15, 2010
Quote from: Mudley313 on April 13, 2010, 05:17 PM

Excellent reply, mudley.
The poster has just stated why he has to worship God, "because God provides nice things for whoever worship him". From that statement, you can see that egoistic and materialistic reasons are usually the main grounds for the urge to worship a being that neither asks nor needs their worship or servitude in the first place.

Nigerians have managed to convince themselvse that they have to worship God by force(or atleast pretend to) before this god can bestow his materialistic blessings on them. And failure to worship means zero material blessings.
In one sense, the relationship between a typical nigerian churchgoer and his/her god is purely materialistic, very much like the relationship between a golddigger and a wealthy person.

Posted

Really i never meant the egoistic part of it i meant the God that answers ma prayers what on earth were you observin when you were goin through ma comment i really never wanted to raise a issue would you serve him if He (GOD) isn't God then what makes the difference with the smaller gods not really looking from that perspective. NEITHER DO I CONDEMN THEE GO AND SIN NO MORE hope you still remember those words.
Re: Why Would You Serve God by ilosiwaju: 4:15pm On Apr 20, 2010
Most do because of the punishment associated with doing otherwise. Threat of hell na strong thing o.
grin grin
Re: Why Would You Serve God by phoenixsta: 1:08pm On Apr 22, 2010
ilosiwaju:

Most do because of the punishment associated with doing otherwise. Threat of hell na strong thing o.
grin grin

True words
Most do because of the same really i wonder whom we are deceiving hell indeed is one reason.
Re: Why Would You Serve God by pinkylady1(f): 1:11pm On Apr 23, 2010
@poster

I serve God cos i was created to do so, and by being alive till date is for me to continue to serve him

for i am nothing without him
Re: Why Would You Serve God by phoenixsta: 4:24pm On Apr 28, 2010
pinky lady:

@poster

I serve God cos i was created to do so, and by being alive till date is for me to continue to serve him

for i am nothing without him

Thank God for your own life cos you have found the reason behind your creation. would still want to hear why many others want to serve God and i hope we are being frank.

Ha-ll-lu-yah, Ha-ll-lu-yah,Ha-ll-lu-yah, Amen.

(1) (Reply)

Christ Ambassey Again With 419 In Enugu / 20 Christians including students at Bayero University massacred / Will You Ever Deny Jesus?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.