Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,773 members, 7,806,130 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:55 AM

Rattling Sound On Acceleration - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Rattling Sound On Acceleration (2891 Views)

Rattling Sound In My 2006 Avalon Engine / Solution to Rattling Noise On Acceleration On Toyota / Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rattling Sound On Acceleration by NobleEngineer(m): 7:59pm On Jan 20, 2018
I have this rattling sound coming out of the hood of my car. Its been on for like 2 months now. Each time
I accelerate, even as small as 2000 rpm, the rattling sound will just begin.
No check Engine light.
The last time it came up, a knock sensor was faulty and was replaced but since then no CEL but rattling stil continues. I drive a corrolla 2000.
I took the car to 3 different Mechanics (road side), they all said "no problem, na so toyota dey sound" infact one of them said "oga change ur Gasket" the other one said "use fuel cleaner". the last one said " oga buy another PMS from another gas station" .....I tried all these but didnt work.
I neglected the change gasket idea though.
Rattling continues especially on acceleration when going up hills.
Pls car gurus in the house, come n help my solution embarassed
Re: Rattling Sound On Acceleration by makavele: 12:47am On Jan 21, 2018
It's called pinging caused by early detonation . . .

Bad fuel yeah . .

Bad knock sensor . . yeah

Bad oil type . . yeah

All in all, engine replacement loading . . . 30%

Gazzuzz . . see food oh grin grin
Re: Rattling Sound On Acceleration by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:32am On Jan 21, 2018
NobleEngineer:
I have this rattling sound coming out of the hood of my car. Its been on for like 2 months now. Each time
No check Engine light.
The last time it came up, a knock sensor was faulty and was replaced but since then no CEL but rattling stil continues. I drive a corrolla 2000.
I took the car to 3 different Mechanics (road side), they all said "no problem, na so toyota dey sound" infact one of them said "oga change ur Gasket" the other one said "use fuel cleaner". the last one said " oga buy another PMS from another gas station" .....I tried all these but didnt work.

Re scan vehicle, if no codes, monitor coolant temp levels. It is possibly over 100deg celcius, if temp is between 90-96, temp is fine. engine will require de carbonisation.

1 Like

Re: Rattling Sound On Acceleration by jodeci(m): 9:26am On Jan 21, 2018
It could also be that your catalyst has broken apart and the particles are swirling around the exhaust pipings as you accelerate.
Re: Rattling Sound On Acceleration by pannyman(m): 3:32pm On Jan 21, 2018
When I had this problem with my old Camry, it was the broken pipe between the air filter and the throttle body that was the culprit. I replaced it and the rattling sound stopped. It's either this or poor quality fuel.
Re: Rattling Sound On Acceleration by mayor2013: 3:57pm On Jan 21, 2018
NobleEngineer:
No check Engine light.

Have vehicle inspected by a professional first

1 Like

Re: Rattling Sound On Acceleration by NobleEngineer(m): 11:19pm On Jan 21, 2018
when I saw "engine replacement" in your post, i was shocked. To make it worse, hardly will you find a professional mechanic in this our town. I changed knock sensor, changed fuel, 2 full tanks...omo i give up.
makavele:
It's called pinging caused by early detonation . . .

Bad fuel yeah . .

Bad knock sensor . . yeah

Bad oil type . . yeah

All in all, engine replacement loading . . . 30%

Gazzuzz . . see food oh grin grin
Re: Rattling Sound On Acceleration by NobleEngineer(m): 11:24pm On Jan 21, 2018
Monitored the temp guage today, it was at 90 max.. also i noticed it hardly rattle at cold start, it happens only when tori e bati gbona
GAZZUZZ:

Re scan vehicle, if no codes, monitor coolant temp levels. It is possibly over 100deg celcius, if temp is between 90-96, temp is fine. engine will require de carbonisation.
Re: Rattling Sound On Acceleration by makavele: 11:47pm On Jan 21, 2018
NobleEngineer:
when I saw "engine replacement" in your post, i was shocked. To make it worse, hardly will you find a professional mechanic in this our town. I changed knock sensor, changed fuel, 2 full tanks...omo i give up.

"Engine replacement loading" . . . used to be one of Gazzuzz's favorite, should I say, quotes?

LOL tongue tongue tongue
Re: Rattling Sound On Acceleration by cyborg123(m): 12:49am On Jan 22, 2018
All signs seem to point to carbon in engine or lean air/fuel ratio.

Check for broken or removed vacuum hoses around the engine and clean your air filter.

Then,

Keep using fuel injector cleaner a few times and periodically do a few brief full throttle accelerations reasonably while driving. (It takes time to work)

Alternatively,

If you can afford decarbonization, you should see immediate results.
Re: Rattling Sound On Acceleration by cyborg123(m): 12:54am On Jan 22, 2018
NobleEngineer:
No check Engine light.
By the way, how did you establish the bolded and hope no other work was done on your engine before this pinging started.
Re: Rattling Sound On Acceleration by NobleEngineer(m): 6:54am On Jan 22, 2018
I got the car from a friend. after 5 weeks of driving,
the Preignition started suddenly on one lovely afternoon. it happens mostly at low speeds, by the time the engine hits top gear and d car is moving fast say 60km/hr, rattling sound disappears.
cyborg123:

By the way, how did you establish the bolded and hope no other work was done on your engine before this pinging started.
Re: Rattling Sound On Acceleration by cyborg123(m): 9:10am On Jan 22, 2018
Ok.
Re: Rattling Sound On Acceleration by erico2k2(m): 11:30am On Jan 22, 2018
NobleEngineer:
No check Engine light.
OP get your car i nspected by a qualified mechanic,the sound is something rubing on somthing when your car is hot or presurised.So have s o meone listen to the location emmiting the s ound when you car is working at max temp.

1 Like

Re: Rattling Sound On Acceleration by larrypourl(m): 11:28pm On Aug 14, 2019
Op if the sound is like the one attached in the YouTube link below, then it's the power steering pump or power steering pully. Had the same issue, researched about it on youtube and was perfect. 02 Corolla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqMChbDOruI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XtRmOTjPIw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr-t-QN7EhE

(1) (Reply)

What You Need To Do After Replacing The Engine Of Your Car/Vehicle / Advice On Choosing A Car To Buy Within A Budget Of 1.5m-2million Naira / Give Me Reasons To Buy Mercedes Benz ML 320

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.