Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,886 members, 7,806,565 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:21 PM

Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? (3636 Views)

Why Is God's Name 'JEHOVAH' Not In Your Bible? / Is Your Bible A Sword Or A Butter Knife? Why You Need The King James Version / 5 Unbelievably Good Reasons To Read Your Bible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by Nobody: 9:01am On Jan 21, 2018
I know some Christians read the Bible only on Sundays in church, but some do read it often. Those that read it only on Sundays are completely dependent on their pastors for the content, meaning, and interpretation, while those that read it often do well for themselves in knowing the content, meaning, and in interpreting it.

If you read it only on Sundays, don't you think you are akin to a student who doesn't read his books often?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by RichFoundation(m): 6:00pm On Jan 21, 2018
Nice question No be Daddy G. O say �

Our pastor Say �

Read your bible so you will know what the Bible say about tithing.

FTC

I DEDICATE THIS PAGE TO DADDYFREEZE. thanks for the eye � opening.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by MrsNgoziKalu(f): 6:00pm On Jan 21, 2018
I know the word of God more than my Pastor grin

4 Likes

Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by Naturalobserver(m): 6:01pm On Jan 21, 2018
G
Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jan 21, 2018
A christian who does not meditate on the word of God daily is a powerless christian.

1 Like

Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by olamil34(m): 6:02pm On Jan 21, 2018
MrsNgoziKalu:
I know the word of God more than my Pastor grin

Oya prove it

1 Like

Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by ignis: 6:02pm On Jan 21, 2018
It's one thing to read the bible and it's another thing to obey/practice what you read.

Some people don't read the bible regulary but their life is a hundred times better than those who read it everyday and night.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by MhizzAJ(f): 6:02pm On Jan 21, 2018
What do they (pastors) know

I read the Bible myself

3 Likes

Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jan 21, 2018
Interesting question... Read a lot of it when I was much younger.

1 Like

Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by Olachase(m): 6:04pm On Jan 21, 2018
c
Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by Joeisafatprick(m): 6:04pm On Jan 21, 2018
Brb
Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by Uyi168: 6:04pm On Jan 21, 2018
...Those that cnt read will still have to rely on their pastors for interpretation..
Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by Quoran: 6:05pm On Jan 21, 2018
Good question. That's why some Christians are easily deceived because they don't know what's in their bible.

Nevertheless, a good sermon by a pastor must be backed up with adequate scriptural backing.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by Next2Bezee(m): 6:09pm On Jan 21, 2018
I read my bible on my own. It's not hard.

There are some pastors that will tell you that what's on the pages of the bible isn't correct as it has a spiritual meaning. sad

Genesis 1:1 - In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Spiritual Meaning: Givers never lack. First fruit include February - December salary.

John 1: 1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Spiritual Meaning: Thou tithe secureth our private jet fuel god's blessing .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by emsheddy(m): 6:09pm On Jan 21, 2018
I read mine. That's why any man of God cannot use me as a slave to satisfy his needs.

1 Like

Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by TechZiga: 6:12pm On Jan 21, 2018
Meditating and reading are too different things.
95% of Nigeria Christian only know and meditate on what their pastors tells them not what is in the bible. Every Christian is suppose to have conmpletly read the bible from Genesis to Revelation before calling him or herself a Christian.
majekdom2:
A christian who does not meditate on the word of God daily is a powerless christian.
Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jan 21, 2018
TechZiga:
Meditating and reading are too different things.
95% of Nigeria Christian only know and meditate on what their pastors tells them not what is in the bible. Every Christian is suppose to have conmpletly read the bible from Genesis to Revelation before calling him or herself a Christian.
you cannot meditate without reading. You can only think about what has entered inside of you. How can it enter without reading. Of what usefulness is reading a bible without meditation on it @ bolded?
Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 21, 2018
I would rather watch p.orno than read the bible, Atleast i can understand what goes on in a po.rno movie unlike the contradictory biased bible grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by bejeria101(m): 6:34pm On Jan 21, 2018
The same one daddy fridge told us nt to listen to?
Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by thatigboman: 6:43pm On Jan 21, 2018
If you read your bible often, then what work will the pastor be doing? Only collect offereings and tithes?
Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by eenai(m): 6:51pm On Jan 21, 2018
Why do I have a pastor. Lol.
Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by swashbuckler84: 6:53pm On Jan 21, 2018
I advise Nigerians to stop reading the King James translation of the Bible and read a translation they can understand. Before some illiterate so called pastor comes along to misinterpret verses for you in the name of "reading with the spirit."

2 Likes

Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by ocee31(m): 6:55pm On Jan 21, 2018
when you don't read the bible on your own you're dependent on second hand gospel, hence the reason why Christianity is what it is today.

1 Like

Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by omojeesu(m): 6:56pm On Jan 21, 2018
A vitally important question!

Reasons people don't read the Bible:
1) No interest at all. These are mostly non-Christians
2) Mere church goers not 'Christian' by New Testament definition. They are not born again.
3) Christians who are just too busy.
4) Christians who are just too lazy.
5) Motivational teachings and such have diluted the word of God.
6) Some Christians are contented with prophetic declarations.
7) People are preoccupied with miracles, signs and wonders. They seek short cuts to solutions.
cool A sign of the end times:

2 Timothy

4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Finally, it goes beyond mere reading of the Bible but studying, memorization, meditation, declaration and obedience to it.
Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by omojeesu(m): 7:00pm On Jan 21, 2018
swashbuckler84:
I advise Nigerians to stop reading the King James translation of the Bible and read a translation they can understand. Before some illiterate so called pastor comes along to misinterpret verses for you in the name of "reading with the spirit."

Not stop but read other versions too.

The KJV is the 'gold' standard. We shouldn't jettison it.
Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by swashbuckler84: 8:32pm On Jan 21, 2018
omojeesu:

Not stop but read other versions too.

The KJV is the 'gold' standard. We shouldn't jettison it.

What gold standard? Every Bible is a translation of the original ancient Hebrew. The only thing special about the King James version is that it was the version used to colonize us.

It was written in that era's English so that the people of that time could understand their Bibles. They didn't also keep a copy of the previous era's translations so they could do literary analysis.
Re: Do You Read Your Bible Or You Give The Work To Your Pastor? by omojeesu(m): 8:08am On Jan 22, 2018
swashbuckler84:

What gold standard? Every Bible is a translation of the original ancient Hebrew. The only thing special about the King James version is that it was the version used to colonize us.

It was written in that era's English so that the people of that time could understand their Bibles. They didn't also keep a copy of the previous era's translations so they could do literary analysis.

That's why I deliberately put 'gold' in inverted comas. Thank God for the version because it seems to convey some power or force or spirituality that many relatively modern versions don't seem to have. My personal experience and the experience of many that I know. Reading the version resonates more with the Spirit of God in us.

(1) (Reply)

Slain In The Spirit - Pure And Absolute Heresy / COVID 19: Deeper Life Bible Church Donates Additional Relief Items To Lagos / General Election Shows That ALLAH Is Greater Than Xtian Gods

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.