Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,719 members, 7,805,960 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:12 AM

Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish (32814 Views)

Buy Stockfish And Crayfish In Large Quantities Anywhere In Abuja / This Inflation Is Getting Out Of Hand. See The StockFish I Got for 1,200 / Where To Get Okporoko Stockfish Cheap In Aba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by happysharing: 11:16am On Jan 21, 2018
“The taste of stockfish is life… We can’t cook without stockfish.” That’s the verdict of women at the bustling Onyingbo market in Nigeria’s commercial capital, Lagos, as they carefully choose pieces of the specially dried cod. Heads stare up from market stalls while whole bodies hanging on metal hooks sway in the humid breeze. Bundles of the golden-coloured fish have been cut into different sizes and are sold by weight.

So how did stockfish first arrive on Nigerian shores?
The process of drying it means that stockfish can last for years – and that made it perfect to be used as food for the West African people enslaved and sent on long sea voyages to the Americas, says Norwegian historian Frank Jensen.

But, as Mr Jensen points out, it was the Biafran civil war in Nigeria 50 years that really set the scene for stockfish to become a must-have ingredient in Nigerian cuisine.

In the course of three bloody years, more than a million people died – mostly from hunger. It was a humanitarian crisis on an unprecedented scale, and churches and relief agencies from all over the world joined together to fly in emergency supplies. Norway’s contribution was stockfish.

It doesn’t need refrigeration, and it is full of protein and vitamins – perfect to combat kwashiorkor, the malnutrition that characterised the Biafran war.

“The single weapon against kwashiorkor was stockfish,” says Edwin Mofefe, who was five years old when the war broke out. “It was our medicine.”

For years Mr Mofefe couldn’t eat stockfish because it brought back too many harrowing memories of the war.

Now, finally, he can not only stomach it, he has come to adore it for the depth of flavouring it brings to his favourite egusi or melon seed soup.

Fifty years on, stockfish has turned from an emergency, life-saving ration into a staple food – and a key part of Nigerian culinary identity.

More here... http://nigeriarendezvous.com/nigerias-love-for-norwegian-stockfish/

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by Flexherbal(m): 11:31am On Jan 21, 2018
"...stockfish has turned from an emergency, life-saving ration into a staple food – and a key part of Nigerian culinary identity."

www.nairaland.com/3654604/eat-these-fruits-regularly-grow-healthy-reproductive-organ

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by Pamelayoung: 11:48pm On Jan 22, 2018
Profound

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jan 26, 2018
Paaannla, that fish mad inside Efo.

happysharing:

In the course of three bloody years, more than a million people died – mostly from hunger. It was a humanitarian crisis on an unprecedented scale, and churches and relief agencies from all over the world joined together to fly in emergency supplies. Norway’s contribution was stockfish.

It doesn’t need refrigeration, and it is full of protein and vitamins – perfect to combat kwashiorkor, the malnutrition that characterised the Biafran war.

Norway see us finish sha. Other countries dey give sardine and giesha cheesy , Norway give us panla.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by Follygunners: 8:56pm On Jan 26, 2018
Mods... repost and Bolden the title abeg!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by gmoney12: 8:56pm On Jan 26, 2018
okporoko agworo agwo na ukpaka ya na nkwu elu..

cheii!!!

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jan 26, 2018
If stockfish no dey egusi soup.no b egisi soup grin

38 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jan 26, 2018
The aroma is salivating in ogbono soup tongue

30 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jan 26, 2018
I love the aroma that emanates from any food prepared with stock fish.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by MiaB(f): 8:58pm On Jan 26, 2018
Yum Yum

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by visijo(m): 8:58pm On Jan 26, 2018
Only the head na

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by dontbothermuch: 8:59pm On Jan 26, 2018
smiley
Delicious, even sweeter than the cow meat that is causing so much bloodshed.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by cashlurd(m): 9:00pm On Jan 26, 2018
The good thing about the Igbos is that they always see opportunities to make money in every thing that happens. They hardly say NO to business opportunities or proposals. And their believe almost always works for them.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by grandstar(m): 9:00pm On Jan 26, 2018
Stockfish honestly is simply the best!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by Godswillnwaoma(m): 9:00pm On Jan 26, 2018
That's is my mum business.......and that why people call her nwanyi okporoko in my neighborhood and in the market.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by DoyenExchange: 9:00pm On Jan 26, 2018
gmoney12:
okporoko agworo agwo na ukpaka ya na nkwu elu..

cheii!!!
grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by wildcatter23(m): 9:00pm On Jan 26, 2018
Informative!!!
Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by menwongo(m): 9:00pm On Jan 26, 2018
May Obasanjo Never Write me a letter.

I'm not a fan of OBJ but one of my prayer points has always been that may Obasanjo never write me a letter.
Obasanjo may have done exact or more evil than whoever he's writing to admonish but while OBJ always escape repercussions, whoever he writes to admonish are not always lucky.

OBJ's involvement in any issue signifies the imminent end of that issue.

First he wrote to Shagari when the latter was soaked in mismanagement of the economy few months later the military smashed Shagari government.

In 1995 he then wrote to Abacha and described him as a stone age dictator, the letter landed him in trouble, He was almost killed. But after his death sentence was converted into prison terms, he wrote another letter to Abacha titled NO CONDITION IS PERMANENT, Where he said, "I was a head of state yesterday, today, I'm in jail. You're the head of state today, tomorrow, your condition may be worse than mine...".
Indeed, Abacha's future was worse as he ended inside the grave!!!

OBJ didn't write himself while in power but instead wrote his deputy, Atiku Abubakar. Atiku has become a shadow of his pre-1999 self since then.

It wasn't clear whether he wrote Yaradua, a terminally ill former Kastina governor he imposed on Nigeria....but he came out publicly and asked him to resign!!!

He also didn't spare GEJ he wrote him in a letter titled BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE, But it was actually late before the letter was written. Jonathan, today, has become a sorrowful history.

His latest letter to Buhari is no joke,
Take it or not, Buhari needs absolute care else the letter becomes his political abattoir

Beg Obasanjo for me whenever you see him, may he never write me a letter.
Copied!!!

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by timilehin007(m): 9:01pm On Jan 26, 2018
How does it taste..

Praise God I bought my first ever ride yesterday

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by Uniqueness01(f): 9:02pm On Jan 26, 2018
Stockfish inside Ogbono Soup is bae grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by ChineseBuggati3(m): 9:02pm On Jan 26, 2018
cool
Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by PenisCaP: 9:02pm On Jan 26, 2018
sexybbstar:
I love the aroma that emanates from any food prepared with stock fish.

Gimme ur azz n throway stockfish tongue

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by don4real18(m): 9:03pm On Jan 26, 2018
kiss
Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by Solmax(m): 9:04pm On Jan 26, 2018
OMG
I just followed the link and read the whole article.
It is surprising and sad that most of the stock fish we eat today is still being Imported!!!
Dried fish we can produce locally

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jan 26, 2018
Wao, never knew this.
I'm sure even my mum doesn't know too. All she knew was that her mum carried her and ran with other people to their house when one thing like kite grin was seen in the air. Her dad had a lot of yam barn so they never lacked food. grin

I think the war didn't get to her village cos she said lots of strangers took shelter in their village.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by ardeysholah: 9:08pm On Jan 26, 2018
I dislike the fish, most especially the fish odour

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by maclatunji: 9:08pm On Jan 26, 2018
Okporoko, I am a fan.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by bewla(m): 9:08pm On Jan 26, 2018
panla
Re: Nigeria’s Love For Norwegian Stockfish by Godswillnwaoma(m): 9:09pm On Jan 26, 2018
Solmax:
OMG
I just followed the link and read the whole article.
It is surprising and sad that most of the stock fish we eat today is still being Imported!!!
Something we can produce locally
where do you think it can be produce locally?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prices Of Rice, Beans, Maize Soar At Lagos Market - Vanguard / The Making Of A Nairalander’s Homemade Orange Juice(photos) / I Received My Own Share Of Palliatives From Dangote Foundation In Birnin Kebbi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.