Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,389 members, 7,808,376 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice (15803 Views)

Which Business Can I Do With N300k As A School Teacher? / How To Make N70,000 Monthly By Baking And Selling Snacks / Make Over N3000 Daily, Selling Snacks To Schools And Shops In Your Area (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by Ewlery: 12:16pm On Jan 21, 2018
Been trying to get a job but it all failed. I was even working as a ticketer for brt. The stress, humiliation and pay is not worth it.
I went to school and also a graduate think I can do better!

I thought about this during the week and want to give it a trial. There are two public schools in my area which have their own vendors but I want to do something spectacular.

I want to sell puff puff filled with pepper and fish. (in form of samosa) then cold zobo to the schools. I need your brilliant ideas on how to package myself to win the market!

My plan is to visit those schools tomorrow and inform the principals about my intention to sell in the school premises so I can be permitted.

I need intelligent ideas to supercede those I met there. Please help!

Lalasticla.la I need your help to be liberated in this business. As being on Frontpage will bring more ideas. Thanks

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by Damibiz(m): 12:24pm On Jan 21, 2018
Wrong section,move to Business section Asap
Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jan 21, 2018
Business
Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by Ewlery: 12:44pm On Jan 21, 2018
Mynd44, Dominique, Lalasticlala, Seun. can you help me please
Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by KemaSS(m): 12:56pm On Jan 21, 2018
Firstly i wish you the best,then while you visit the school look at whats in the shop and maybe include what you know children likes and can easily buy without thinking twice like low prize chocolates.
And Cleanliness matters once you are given d permission.

7 Likes

Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by Ewlery: 1:02pm On Jan 21, 2018
KemaSS:
Firstly i wish you the best,then while you visit the school look at whats in the shop and maybe include what you know children likes and can easily buy without thinking twice like low prize chocolates.
And Cleanliness matters once you are given d permission.
It is a secondary school sir
Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by pocohantas(f): 1:15pm On Jan 21, 2018
You took a good step, rather than waiting for the dream white collar job. I commend you for that, your labour will be rewarded.

Since your location is kinda sorted out and your target market is also determined. I think your greatest weapon would be price [and packaging i.e BE NEAT ]. Students love affordable things.
>Do you have any direct competitor in the school selling same product? If yes, find out how much she sells and how she sells.
>What's the population of the school? You need steady turnover.
>When schools are on holidays, what happens?
>Are you planning to make the puff puff and zobo yourself or would you outsource the production?
>Would it be cheaper to make yourself or not?

I really don't think comparative advantage should come in here. Those two things are pretty easy and cheap to make, you can handle it yourself [especially the zobo...the zobo can be made in different flavours, I hope you have good power supply and freezer]. That way labour is on you,and you'll have all the profit to yourself grin

Except the school is Atlantic Hall and the likes, those small table water containers will serve. You can buy them from fast foods at a little cost, or go to a wedding venue any Saturday with a sibling and pick yourself. Wash/sterilise properly please.

Puff puff doesn't need special packaging. It's just the good old puff puff abi? You can buy packets of straws and serviettes but don't spend too much on packaging at this initial stage, it affects your selling price [and it could undermine your profit].

Take note of whatever they constantly ask for and expand the products you offer.

With hardwork and good customer service, you rarely go wrong with food business. People must eat.

I wish you good luck. I love peppery puff puff too cheesy

82 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by KemaSS(m): 1:16pm On Jan 21, 2018
Ewlery:

It is a secondary school sir
Then look if they sell things like plastic drinks,you can sell Moimoi too,popcorn,Handkerchiefs fanciful ones.little little gift items that student can easily get for their friends
Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by Ewlery: 2:19pm On Jan 21, 2018
pocohantas:
You took a good step, rather than waiting for the dream white collar job. I commend you for that, your labour will be rewarded.

Since your location is kinda sorted out and your target market is also determined. I think your greatest weapon would be price [and packaging i.e BE NEAT ]. Students love affordable things.
>Do you have any direct competitor in the school selling same product? If yes, find out how much she sells and how she sells.
>Are you planning to make the puff puff and zobo yourself or would you outsource the production?

I really don't think comparative advantage should come in here. Those two things are pretty easy and cheap to make, you can handle it yourself [especially the zobo...the zobo can be made in different flavours, I hope you have good power supply and freezer]. That way labour is on you,and you'll have all the profit to yourself grin

Except the school is Atlantic Hall and the likes, those small table water containers will serve. You can buy them from fast foods at a little cost, or go to a wedding venue any Saturday with a sibling and pick yourself. Wash/sterilise properly please.

Puff puff doesn't need special packaging. It's just the good old puff puff abi? You can buy packets of straws and serviettes but don't spend too much on packaging at this initial stage, it affects your selling price [and it could undermine your profit].

Take note of whatever they constantly ask for and expand the products you offer.

With hardwork and good customer service, you rarely go wrong with food business. People must eat.

This is really helpful. GOD bless you dear.

I hope I can always mention you whenever I need help smiley

I will go to thr school tomorrow and beg the principal.

My kid brother attends the school and they sell so many things there including puff puff but the kind of packaging I want to bring in will be different and very delicious.

The basic thing is the packaging.

My mother knows how to fry puff puff she will help me for a start then I'll learn.

I have a freezer but no generator (mother disposed it) but I can get ice for the drinks.

Like how much do you think I can start with?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by moski5(m): 3:38pm On Jan 21, 2018
Ewlery:
Been trying to get a job but it all failed. I was even working as a ticketer for brt. The stress, humiliation and pay is not worth it.

I thought about this during the week and want to give it a trial. There are two public schools in my area which have their own vendors but I want to do something spectacular.

I want to sell puff puff filled with pepper and fish. (in form of samosa) then cold zobo to the schools. I need your brilliant ideas on how to package myself to win the market!

My plan is to visit those schools tomorrow and inform the principals about my intention to sell in the school premises so I can be permitted.

Lalasticlala I need your help to be liberated in this business. As being on Frontpage will bring more ideas. Thanks

Target Schools with large population
2. Seek permission from the principal, also ask for the most popular teacher there, if they can vouch for you thats a plus
3. understand biz is about
a. the customer... they are kids still you must be, nice, respectful, a little playful and firm
2. understand/know how to calculate profit Gross and net
c. free samples to the principal and fav. teacher is welcome. also every once in a while send them free sample

someone suggested zobo, nice one, if you can make that cheap cone ice-cream even much better.

if well run ... You'll be glad you started. for questions etc send a pm

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by johnstar(m): 6:06pm On Jan 21, 2018
Buhari

U will never go unpunished

All of u dat vote for that man

Y'all are mad ppl

Bunch of monkeys

Shithole country

Quote me and b render useless in ur life

10 Likes

Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by ignis: 6:07pm On Jan 21, 2018
Nice move...
Op, 2ps are very key in this regards ; Price and Packaging.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by MrsNwaAmaikpe(f): 6:07pm On Jan 21, 2018
shocked shocked

Leave that business for iya bilikisu and mama sikiratu on the streets. I wonder how many years you intend doing that business before you buy a 4matic, G-wagon or even a sex doll.

please put your brain to work and get into 9ja bet, yahoo-yahoo or even trading cryptocurrencies.

I assure you you will blow before you know it

1 Like

Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by purem(m): 6:09pm On Jan 21, 2018
johnstar:
Buhari

U will never go unpunished

All of u dat vote for that man

Y'all are mad ppl

Bunch of monkeys

Shithole country

Quote me and b render useless in ur life
lipsrsealed

Someone is about to make a change in his life and you are here blaming buhari for your deranged life..... undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by Bluehill1051: 6:11pm On Jan 21, 2018
I just tried zooming a Yoruba girl's picture and pepper entered my eyes cry

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by zig2ryme04: 6:12pm On Jan 21, 2018
before you start
what's your starting capital?
type of fish do you want to put?
how many puff puff do you want to make each day?
how much do you want to sell your puff puff looking at the fact that you have fish inside and the stress involved?
can the students really afford it because normal puff puff in Nigeria goes for 10 naira?
students dont usually go for oilly things in the morning (my thought).
Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by tfk96: 6:12pm On Jan 21, 2018
Please who has a link that will make my whatsapp work on my BlackBerry Q10?
Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jan 21, 2018
pocohantas:

Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by SWORD419(m): 6:13pm On Jan 21, 2018
Goodluck Allah bada saa

1 Like

Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by don4real18(m): 6:14pm On Jan 21, 2018
It's a great idea

1 Like

Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 21, 2018
What's your location and when are you starting?

I love your zeal, keep it up.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by Everest1989(m): 6:16pm On Jan 21, 2018
Not too nice. What if the school goes on vacation?
Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by voicelez: 6:19pm On Jan 21, 2018
Ewlery:

Lalasticla.la I need your help to be liberated in this business. As being on Frontpage will bring more ideas. Thanks
G

There is no limit to what you can achieve, give it a shot

1 Like

Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jan 21, 2018
Ewlery:

I don't understand, what is disgrace gotta do with it? It's either you settle with the disgrace of making your legit pay, or deal with the disgrace of not having money in future, your call

Focus on the business climate, 100naira per snack may be high and will reduce possible sales, try to negotiate with a baker to make cheap snacks, 50 naira per piece snacks, puff puff is old school, meat pie is better, it has class, boys will want to buyto impress girls, make it 50naira. Try to collect data and track your earnings.

Do not do Zobo. Don't do what you like to do in business, do what is needful. Zobo exposes you to risk, i.e. spoilage ( especailly with the electricity problems ) The market for getting Zobo ingredients and pastries are not the same, it will force you to make two different trips. I recommend counting Zobo from a producer if you want to do it, otherwise, don't do it.

Focus on pastries :

FISH ROLL - 50 NAIRA

MEAT PIE - 50 NAIRA

Don't do puff puff or bons, focus on attraction, kids want to look cool, so cooler snacks will induce more sales

OUTSOURCE THE PRODUCTION....Or try to make your snacks yourself for the first few weeks, calculate your profit. Later, calculate the profit against the amount you will make if you outsource, this way, you can determine if you'll continue producing yourself or outsource

If you wanna do Zobo, please make sure it's flavored, pineapple flavor in Zobo tastes like life at its best...

Vanilla falvour too ordinary... Strawberry flavour is also nice... But, who knows, start, this is what matters. Like Nike's motto, Just do it. Don't over-deliberate, just start !

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by tballeyy(m): 6:23pm On Jan 21, 2018
It is agood idea, u can add tuwoo shikafa with it, it Will also make a lot of sense
Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by nenergy(m): 6:23pm On Jan 21, 2018
I wish you success!

Your price and quality is important. You can make the snack small, but it should be cheap and tasty.
Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by basmur(m): 6:25pm On Jan 21, 2018
Your frying time should also be considered to enable you to serve not too cold puff puff. Try as much as possible to have it hot.
Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by nenergy(m): 6:30pm On Jan 21, 2018
Ewlery:

This is really helpful. GOD bless you dear.

I hope I can always mention you whenever I need help smiley

I will go to thr school tomorrow and beg the principal.

My kid brother attends the school and they sell so many things there including puff puff but the kind of packaging I want to bring in will be different and very delicious.

The basic thing is the packaging.

My mother knows how to fry puff puff she will help me for a start then I'll learn.

I have a freezer but no generator (mother disposed it) but I can get ice for the drinks.

Like how much do you think I can start with?

Please don't BEG o, you might make yourself vulnerable (if you're female and principal is male) You're offering a service, so be bold. Meet him and make enquiry. Be warm and friendly.

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by federal9: 6:34pm On Jan 21, 2018
tfk96:
Please who has a link that will make my whatsapp work on my BlackBerry Q10?

Change your phone date to 8(day)-1(month)-2018(year). Close the app and open again.

Anytime you want to whatsapp just change the date and after dat you could always change the date to the accurate date.

Quote me if it works
Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by Schoollatest(m): 6:37pm On Jan 21, 2018
Its nice of you guy
http://schoollatest.com.ng
Re: I Want To Start Selling Snacks In A School. Need Advice by ipobarecriminals: 6:37pm On Jan 21, 2018
cool very good. May God bless and enlarge. ur coast. If u knw how to fry Aka,.Find somewhere @ a busy junction, .Not just Akara,u go spicy am wit onion.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Life Hacks On How To Save & Manage Money In Nigeria / Naira Depreciates To N375/$ In Parallel Market / Introduction To Technology Incubation Centre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.