Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:05 PM

Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings (95393 Views)

Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost / 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings / Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 9:22am On Feb 09, 2018
Fulaman198:

I don't necessarily agree with that statement. You may think India is not doing well, but they actually are. They have bolstered their military, they have created a booming tech economy in Bangalore, and they just keep rising. Most of what you can find in the Western world is now in India. Can you explain how India isn't doing well?

Brasil is a multi-ethnic nation, I guess for the most part they are Christians but other than that, the similarities stop there. Look at how far they have come in the last few decades.

The United States is built on the foundation of immigrants. Most people that do the STEM jobs there (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) are not even white, most are from Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe, yet a white male typically leads them even if he is typically less educated than they are.

What Nigeria needs are ideas, who cares if we have different cultures here? We need people to innovate, to come up with new ideas, but most importantly we need to GET RID of corruption. It is the biggest thing that is killing us right now. Do you really think that if we had a leader doing well in the nation for us that ethnic divisions would be as rampant as they are today? They would still exist but not to the same extent.

India still has a much lower GDP per capita than Nigeria. They've been making some moves in some cities but so has Nigeria but that doesn't make them a model. Their new president seemed capable at first but he has quickly turned into a disappointment.

They've revamped their army because they're obsessed with Pakistan and even with that Pakistani intelligence keeps handing their arse to them. Pardon my language.

Brazil is a country with a clear majority ethnicity and overwhelming majority religion. You can not use them as a model either.

Same goes for the united states. It's not tech that made America great. America has been great long before that. Their pioneers were mostly white and Christian and were fully patriotic and believed in their industrious nature. Each person with a will to succeed and change the world. This is one thing they all shared and still do.

You speak of culture as if it doesn't matter. Culture is everything. Even in companies, the most important thing in recruitment is finding people who fit into the corporate culture. That's what gives you a sustainable advantage.

Corruption is a very dangerous monster I feel we are better off fighting on our terms. Then these leaders won't be able to use these divisive tactics to evade true prosecution and condemnation. I feel a new start just gives an opportunity to rebuild new institutions better suited to our respective cultures and people. In institutional economics it's been proven it's institutions that make great countries and we need to start from there and fully commit to it. In case you haven't noticed BTW, it may not be official but we already live in two separate countries.

3 Likes

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Fulaman198(m): 6:37pm On Feb 09, 2018
DevdanSanguine:

India still has a much lower GDP per capita than Nigeria. They've been making some moves in some cities but so has Nigeria but that doesn't make them a model. Their new president seemed capable at first but he has quickly turned into a disappointment.

They've revamped their army because they're obsessed with Pakistan and even with that Pakistani intelligence keeps handing their arse to them. Pardon my language.

Brazil is a country with a clear majority ethnicity and overwhelming majority religion. You can not use them as a model either.

Same goes for the united states. It's not tech that made America great. America has been great long before that. Their pioneers were mostly white and Christian and were fully patriotic and believed in their industrious nature. Each person with a will to succeed and change the world. This is one thing they all shared and still do.

You speak of culture as if it doesn't matter. Culture is everything. Even in companies, the most important thing in recruitment is finding people who fit into the corporate culture. That's what gives you a sustainable advantage.

Corruption is a very dangerous monster I feel we are better off fighting on our terms. Then these leaders won't be able to use these divisive tactics to evade true prosecution and condemnation. I feel a new start just gives an opportunity to rebuild new institutions better suited to our respective cultures and people. In institutional economics it's been proven it's institutions that make great countries and we need to start from there and fully commit to it. In case you haven't noticed BTW, it may not be official but we already live in two separate countries.

America was built on the backs of slaves and minorites something a lot of Nigerians don't seem to understand, mainly black slaves carried out the work of their white Masters.

India is doing far better than Nigeria. There is a solid middle class in India. They have access to all the cars we don't have in Nigeria, not to mention better schools (IIT Bombay is one of the best engineering schools worldwide), but more even distribution of wealth, constant electricity, and more access to Internet. With that said, they are ranked 3rd in the world for GDP purchasing power. I think you are trying to undermine their achievements. They are doing better than European nations and even the UK have acknowledged this fact. They don't need to co-mingle with the UK like Nigeria wants to for some odd reason. Keep in mind that India has a plethora of cultures as well.

I think it's about time Nigeria stops making excuses with culture. Corruption is truly the biggest problem hands down. If culture was the problem, then why were we doing so well in the 1970s? I agree that Nigeria doesn't need 36 States, I would say we need 12 at most. We need to get rid of the elites that pilfer from the nation.

5 Likes

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 6:58pm On Feb 09, 2018
Fulaman198:

America was built on the backs of slaves and minorites something a lot of Nigerians don't seem to understand, mainly black slaves carried out the work of their white Masters.
You mean slaves africans willfully sold to them? And what did africans do with these slaves for themselves? Physical labour is easy, its the rawest form of human capital and that is why its so cheap today. I'm sorry but i dont subscribe to these silly defeatist excuses africans have been using. If labour is all it takes, we have all the labour in the world today, where has it taken us? Improving human capital to more creative and industrious levels is the true challenge.

India is doing far better than Nigeria. There is a solid middle class in India. They have access to all the cars we don't have in Nigeria, not to mention better schools (IIT Bombay is one of the best engineering schools worldwide), but more even distribution of wealth, constant electricity, and more access to Internet. With that said, they are ranked 3rd in the world for GDP purchasing power. I think you are trying to undermine their achievements. They are doing better than European nations and even the UK have acknowledged this fact. They don't need to co-mingle with the UK like Nigeria wants to for some odd reason. Keep in mind that India has a plethora of cultures as well.
I beg to differ. Access to cars does not define how well a nation is doing. They may excel in certain areas but again that doesnt make india a better country than nigeria. maybe some cities, but same can be said for every country. Even with their advancement in IT they experience brain drain, the best of them are in silicon valley in the US which i'm sure if theyre on the pedestal you keep putting them wouldnt happen.

Theres better income distribution in India than the US, again this doesnt make india a better country. I am a big supporter of income equality and wealth redistribution but you are looking at the wrong indicators. A country ranked in triple figures in HDI should never be a model for you when trying to make a case for countries doing well.

BTW, EME's have a much faster growth rate because they are transitioning through early stages of industrialization which is the easiest. India and china averages 7% growth in comparison to japan and US that average around 3%. They're growing faster and though I rate China above most countries due to what they've been able to do given their sizeable population, saying India is doing better than the UK is laughable. Mind you there was a time under Jonathan of all people when Nigeria was one of the top 3 fastest growing economies in the world.

I think it's about time Nigeria stops making excuses with culture. Corruption is truly the biggest problem hands down. If culture was the problem, then why were we doing so well in the 1970s? I agree that Nigeria doesn't need 36 States, I would say we need 12 at most. We need to get rid of the elites that pilfer from the nation.
Culture is the most valid excuse of them all. Its too difficult to find fit within our cultures to build a common ground. As long as we dont have that there is no way we can battle juggernauts like corruption and what not. And what do you mean doing so well? This is a country that just discovered oil in commercial quantity, of course that will serve as a catalyst for its economy but there is always a ceiling.

3 Likes

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Fulaman198(m): 5:05am On Feb 10, 2018
MitrikDenholm:

You mean slaves africans willfully sold to them? And what did africans do with these slaves for themselves? Physical labour is easy, its the rawest form of human capital and that is why its so cheap today. I'm sorry but i dont subscribe to these silly defeatist excuses africans have been using. If labour is all it takes, we have all the labour in the world today, where has it taken us? Improving human capital to more creative and industrious levels is the true challenge.

I beg to differ. Access to cars does not define how well a nation is doing. They may excel in certain areas but again that doesnt make india a better country than nigeria. maybe some cities, but same can be said for every country. Even with their advancement in IT they experience brain drain, the best of them are in silicon valley in the US which i'm sure if theyre on the pedestal you keep putting them wouldnt happen.

Theres better income distribution in India than the US, again this doesnt make india a better country. I am a big supporter of income equality and wealth redistribution but you are looking at the wrong indicators. A country ranked in triple figures in HDI should never be a model for you when trying to make a case for countries doing well.

BTW, EME's have a much faster growth rate because they are transitioning through early stages of industrialization which is the easiest. India and china averages 7% growth in comparison to japan and US that average around 3%. They're growing faster and though I rate China above most countries due to what they've been able to do given their sizeable population, saying India is doing better than the UK is laughable. Mind you there was a time under Jonathan of all people when Nigeria was one of the top 3 fastest growing economies in the world.

Culture is the most valid excuse of them all. Its too difficult to find fit within our cultures to build a common ground. As long as we dont have that there is no way we can battle juggernauts like corruption and what not. And what do you mean doing so well? This is a country that just discovered oil in commercial quantity, of course that will serve as a catalyst for its economy but there is always a ceiling.

What's up with all the new monikers, and why are they always European?

One question, do you honestly believe that Slavery in Africa and Europe are the same? I just want to see what you have to say pertaining to that. Some were sold by Africans of opposing ethnicities, however, Slavery in the Americas is leagues different than the indentured servantry in Africa.

Whilst it is true that the majority of Indian tech wizards are in silicon valley, many of them are returning to India partially due to the bigotry they face in the United States, if anything, the United States will be suffering the brain drain: http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/09/22/trump-has-started-a-brain-drain-back-to-india/. Again, to reinforce my statement, if India was suffering from a brain drain, why do they have a world class University like IIT Bombay? Easily renowned as one of the best Engineering schools worldwide. Engineering subjects are by far the most difficult in the world, I know because I studied an engineering major.

Access to cars, latest gadgets, etc. is indicative of how well a country is doing fiscally. Why? You do not see Apple looking to see products here in Nigeria, or you don't see Google selling products from their playstore here in Nigeria. Again why? Because most people in Nigeria simply can't afford them. The fact that they are selling and mass producing said vehicles in India is indicative that many people are indeed able to afford them. Hence, what I said earlier about a solid middle class.

India IS doing better than the UK, there is simply no comparison. The U.K. has been a sinking nation on the verge of bankrupty for nearly a decade: https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/662052/Britain-set-for-BANKRUPTCY-amid-1-85-TRILLION-of-HIDDEN-debt

I don't know why Nigerians keep looking at the UK as if it is something special, many people want to revel in the old glory of the United Kingdom. Nigeria should follow India's example and just let the U.K. be.

You keep saying culture is the most important thing, it simply is not. The driving force behind certain nation's success (The United States) is due to the influx of immigrants willing to undergo difficult majors like Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, etc. whilst American natives lazy around doing simple majors like Liberal Studies/Arts, Political science, etc. etc. Simple subjects don't make a nation strong, it is people that read those difficult STEM majors that push forth a nation from a technological point of view. Everything that we do today is computer based.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 7:39am On Feb 10, 2018
Fulaman198:

What's up with all the new monikers, and why are they always European?
Its complicated though i wouldnt particularly call them European.

One question, do you honestly believe that Slavery in Africa and Europe are the same? I just want to see what you have to say pertaining to that. Some were sold by Africans of opposing ethnicities, however, Slavery in the Americas is leagues different than the indentured servantry in Africa.
Of course, african slavery was in fact less brutal. However, the intensity of labour you're probably referring to should be compensated by time. It isn't. Its like applying fertilizer on a land with no seeds.

Whilst it is true that the majority of Indian tech wizards are in silicon valley, many of them are returning to India partially due to the bigotry they face in the United States, if anything, the United States will be suffering the brain drain: http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/09/22/trump-has-started-a-brain-drain-back-to-india/. Again, to reinforce my statement, if India was suffering from a brain drain, why do they have a world class University like IIT Bombay? Easily renowned as one of the best Engineering schools worldwide. Engineering subjects are by far the most difficult in the world, I know because I studied an engineering major.
If i understand you correctly they're returning due to bigotry abroad and not local prosperity. They have a good IT sector, possibly world class but judging them based on that is a fallacy of composition.

Access to cars, latest gadgets, etc. is indicative of how well a country is doing fiscally. Why? You do not see Apple looking to see products here in Nigeria, or you don't see Google selling products from their playstore here in Nigeria. Again why? Because most people in Nigeria simply can't afford them. The fact that they are selling and mass producing said vehicles in India is indicative that many people are indeed able to afford them. Hence, what I said earlier about a solid middle class.
No. As you mentioned yourself indians are tech savvy, which breeds a culture and curiosity for such things. This is further heightened by the fact that india is 5 times the population of Nigeria makes it a much larger market. I know rich Nigerians, youths who couldnt care less whats in the app store unlike in india where most younglings have this culture of curiosity for tech. That makes for a very attractive market.

India IS doing better than the UK, there is simply no comparison. The U.K. has been a sinking nation on the verge of bankrupty for nearly a decade: https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/662052/Britain-set-for-BANKRUPTCY-amid-1-85-TRILLION-of-HIDDEN-debt
Go to the front page, a very jolly coincidence. 18 African economies grew by 5% in 2017, i would like for you to tell me how much the economy of most developed countries did. And while you are at it, check how much debt the US is currently under to china alone. Uk is in the innovative stage of macroeconomic development, the hardest to reach and to maintain. Its unlikely india will ever reach these heights.

Like i keep telling you. You're looking at the wrong indicators. Simple question, would you rather live in the UK or india? I already know your answer unless you're trying to be clever, which shows that the UK is a better country and regardless of recent trends is a much better success story.

I don't know why Nigerians keep looking at the UK as if it is something special, many people want to revel in the old glory of the United Kingdom. Nigeria should follow India's example and just let the U.K. be.
I didnt bring the UK up you did. And what exactly do you mean let the UK be?

You keep saying culture is the most important thing, it simply is not. The driving force behind certain nation's success (The United States) is due to the influx of immigrants willing to undergo difficult majors like Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, etc. whilst American natives lazy around doing simple majors like Liberal Studies/Arts, Political science, etc. etc. Simple subjects don't make a nation strong, it is people that read those difficult STEM majors that push forth a nation from a technological point of view. Everything that we do today is computer based.
LOL! You stipulate as if Americas success was recent? Yes immigration played a huge part but this started a long time ago when America was the new frontier. These immigrants were able to build an identity and culture based on a similar background. Everything else you mentioned came afterwards. Sure american millennials are lazy but that shouldnt take away from what their forefathers did. And BTW, speaking of these immigrants, these are the ones who grew up living under american culture, look at all the tech moguls, forget their ethnicity. Is there anyone of them you wouldnt describe as american? Only the immigrants able to find fit within this new american culture have prospered.

2 Likes

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by JikanBaura(m): 2:32pm On Feb 10, 2018
DevdanSanguine:
DanZubair Baaballiyo Fulaman198 JikanBaura

Question about the Hausawi of Saudi. There is a certain black population of Saudis who carry the surname Hausawi like footballers Omar and Osama hausawi.

Saudis I have spoken to have confirmed that these people are indeed from Nigeria and I'm sure that these people are hausas.

My question is how on earth did they get their, establish themselves and even become accepted as Saudi citizens.

Are these remnants from old hajj days or are they more recent travellers or who people refer to as, and I'm not sure of this "Yan tarauni" or something like that?

We Got there grin On Donkeys, Camels, Horses and maybe some on foot. God accept them so Eveybody will. Takharir is what they are collectively call together with other tribes.

The Eritrean Takharir Hausa astonished me the must, Before I thought the Takharir hausa of Saudi Arabia were only able to preserved the Hausa language and culture because their were continues follows of Thousands Nigerians Hausa speakers in and out of Saudi Arabia, Hence making it alot more easier for Saudi Hausa to retain their language and culture. But Eritrean hausa change my thinking, Because they also just not only retained their culture but made bargO people adopt the hausa language, Culture and have Eritrean tribes respect and accepted them the way they are. cheesy Hausa participate as spreated tribe in eritrean traditional festival organize and carried out annually by the Eritrean government and judging by the Expo videos I watched, It's gave me the impression that my people are well appreciated smiley despite their difference in Nature, History, Culture and Language. Will post their Unique cultural display. cool

But Really it doesn't surprised me that their are Hausa in Saudi Arabia (Knows that since childhood) being hearing about Takari hausa and how our grandparents went to pilgrimage on camels. How hausa are able to reserve their culture and language is what surprises me the must and unbelievably influenced alot of saudi arabs and black Africans tO speak the hausa language for it's considered the lingu-franca of blacks west Africans.

While some of the hausa in saudi are recent some their grandparents got there centuries ago, Them , Their parents are born there some even married within arab tribes. Had an aunt whom was born their and was married to an arab her mother was Saudi arebian of KANO origin and my grandma late brother met her in saudiya during hajj then married.When my mom and grandma went to pilgrimage they reside at their home (Makka) .

Their is a notable Saudi Arabian hausa I came to knew ( watched her interview) Can't recall if it's on CNN or BBC but She's speaks fluent English with American accent grin (Bana matan hausawa ba) sunan ta smiley
Nawal al-Hawsawi The roser pack of Saudi Arabia (Ko waye roser pack? Oho) grin , She is said to be the first Saudi Arabian female pilot, being a female pilot in saudi is every uncommon ( 3months ago Saudi women are not even legalized to drive a car) and she's a license private pilot. She Have led many saudi women in protests, She's Married to a white American whom she converted to Islam at saudia, they are blessed adorable kids. If don't know about her you can check her out on Wikipedia. She's a nice woman ( A female activist) embarassed I follower her on instagram IG.

You know, it doesn't astonished me that their are Hausa in Saudi Arabia (Knows that since childhood) being hearing about Takari hausa and how our grandparents went to pilgrimage on camels. How hausa are able to reserve their culture and language is what surprises me the must and unbelievably alot of saudi arabs speaks hausa language for it's the lingu-franca of blacks living in saudia. Their is a Hausa Hip Hop artist called zoor with a father of Sudan origin and a Nigerian mother (Not Hausa) but said his mother is from Katsina he named her tribe and her area which I'm unable to recall , In an interview he had with Arewa24 zoor Said he never nor his parents have ever visited Hausaland, but Hausa together with arabic is what they speaks in the community.

Eritrean Hausa with their president smiley Wallahi i was full with joy watching them sang in Hausa.

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by JikanBaura(m): 2:49pm On Feb 10, 2018
Baaballiyo:

Yes they're indeed of Hausa stock and most were a remnant of Old hajj and old businesses, in the days of Sardauna people of Northern Nigerian stock were highly respected by the Saudis, and can settled there easily, at that time Nigeria was wealthier than Saudi and Sardauna was highly respected and revered by the saudi Royal house. So most of them are offsprings of Hausa Business class that settled there almost a century ago. So though not Arabs they're naturalized citizens of Saudi Arabia. Some where even abled to marry into some Saudi families, and this Hausawi are mostly Rich and middle class citizens in Saudi. The yan_Tarauni are the more recent immigrants (though there are also some that are of the old stock who where not recognised by the Saudi authorities as citizens but hv a resident permit) who are either are staying illegally in the Saudi or have a residence permit, unlike the Hausawi, their offsprings are mostly referred to as 'Yan Agulla' here in Kano. And a times they got deported but they almost always find their way back.

Their is Arabic rap song I watch on Arewa24 the song is titled agullah, Also watch the interview nomisegee have with the kid, ask him what the meaning of his song and it titled they boy said he's rapping about Hausa people like him that were born in Saudia, They are called Yan agullah, They boy live in rich neighborhood and show off the studio parents build him studio in their house. But like many, The dude said he have never been to Kano (Nigeria) (But nomisegee advice him to give a visit) his hausa isn't any different Kano's hausa the agullah boy spit bars in Arabic.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by abdulwastecx(m): 8:12pm On Feb 10, 2018
Baaballiyo:

Nigeria was indeed respected by them a lot in those days, I heard it on good authority they even had an official mourning for the demise of Sardauna in the 60's and that of Murtala Ramat in late 70's. And there was a time when Nigeria used give some financial assistance to the Saudi Government.

There's one Dr. in Bayero University Kano Dr. Ahmad, he was originally a Ghanian, he studied in Saudi btw the 50's and 60's he said after their graduation their University in Saudia offered to retain them and they also got offer from Bayero University, and the salary page in Nigeria was two folds morethan that of the Saudi at that time, hence they decided to accept that of Bayero University.

Me too would love to have those good old days back. It's unfortunate how things fell apart for us. But I still believe that some day we would make it back, though not soon but eventually we'll.

Saudi Arabia was a poor country before the oil boom of the seventies and eighties that may explain the reasons for the respect they have for Nigerians those days.

2 Likes

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 3:44am On Feb 11, 2018
abdulwastecx:

Saudi Arabia was a poor country before the oil boom of the seventies and eighties that may explain the reasons for the respect they have for Nigerians those days.

Respect isn't determined by wealth or lack thereof.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 4:06am On Feb 11, 2018
Baaballiyo:

Yes they're indeed of Hausa stock and most were a remnant of Old hajj and old businesses, in the days of Sardauna people of Northern Nigerian stock were highly respected by the Saudis, and can settled there easily, at that time Nigeria was wealthier than Saudi and Sardauna was highly respected and revered by the saudi Royal house. So most of them are offsprings of Hausa Business class that settled there almost a century ago. So though not Arabs they're naturalized citizens of Saudi Arabia. Some where even abled to marry into some Saudi families, and this Hausawi are mostly Rich and middle class citizens in Saudi. The yan_Tarauni are the more recent immigrants (though there are also some that are of the old stock who where not recognised by the Saudi authorities as citizens but hv a resident permit) who are either are staying illegally in the Saudi or have a residence permit, unlike the Hausawi, their offsprings are mostly referred to as 'Yan Agulla' here in Kano. And a times they got deported but they almost always find their way back.

*Yan Chirani. Was the phrase I was looking for.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Baaballiyo(m): 12:10pm On Feb 11, 2018
Fulaman198:

It may be sooner than you think if we can all come together instead of being divisive all the time. Being divisive is not in our interests, it only weakens us as a nation. Corruption is a HUGE problem that leaders in the North and South are both guilty of. Something that we must address! One thing we must remember is that no man/woman is better than anyone else.

It's not fair when someone lives in luxury and another person must struggle with barely anything to eat. Something must be done to address the huge gap between rich and poor in this nation Walahi!

Yes indeed it could be sooner if we are able to unite and be selfless. Though for as long as Nigeria exist; for her Unity has always been elusive. Though with the right leadership, Education and Economic development we can turn things around.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Baaballiyo(m): 12:31pm On Feb 11, 2018
JikanBaura:

Their is Arabic rap song I watch on Arewa24 the song is titled agullah, Also watch the interview nomisegee have with the kid, ask him what the meaning of his song and it titled they boy said he's rapping about Hausa people like him that were born in Saudia, They are called Yan agullah, They boy live in rich neighborhood and show off the studio parents build him studio in their house. But like many, The dude said he have never been to Kano (Nigeria) (But nomisegee advice him to give a visit) his hausa isn't any different Kano's hausa the agullah boy spit bars in Arabic.

Yeah I also watched some part of the interview and the song. Most are fluent in both Arabic and Hausa.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Baaballiyo(m): 12:36pm On Feb 11, 2018
MitrikDenholm:

*Yan Chirani. Was the phrase I was looking for.

Ohk. But for the most part they are not referred as "yan cirani" in Kano atleast. They're called lot of names of which I know of, Yan Tarauni, Yan Zaman Shahada, Takari, Yan Kano to Jiddah e.t.c.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 12:58pm On Feb 11, 2018
Baaballiyo:

Yeah I also watched some part of the interview and the song. Most are fluent in both Arabic and Hausa.

I was worried they may lose their ability to speak Hausa but I'm really glad to hear they didn't.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 12:59pm On Feb 11, 2018
Baaballiyo:

Ohk. But for the most part they are not referred as "yan cirani" in Kano atleast. They're called lot of names of which I know of, Yan Tarauni, Yan Zaman Shahada, Takari, Yan Kano to Jiddah e.t.c.

Lol! Lucky guess for me I guess. I didn't even know they were referred to as the latter, chirani is the word I was familiar with. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Baaballiyo(m): 2:58pm On Feb 11, 2018
MitrikDenholm:

I was worried they may lose their ability to speak Hausa but I'm really glad to hear they didn't.

One thing about Hausa people is, no matter where they live or settled even if they do not hold on to the Hausa culture they almost certainly hold on to the language. Hardly u find a native Hausa wherever he/she might be, so long as he/she grow with some elders then he/she can speak the language. And Hausa ppl don't care wether they learn another language or not, it's amazing to meet Chinese, Lebanese and Arabs that speak Hausa . I used to laugh and marvel at the accent of the Chinese cheesy .

2 Likes

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by A7(m): 3:47pm On Feb 11, 2018
@baaballiyo

So Takari is of Arab origin?

Any correlation with the Hausa speakers called Takari [takarawa(plural), batakare(singular male)] by fellow Hausas because their dialect is different and heavy?

Example: Sheikh Giro (Takari), Kabiru Gombe (Hausa)
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Baaballiyo(m): 11:26pm On Feb 11, 2018
A7:
@baaballiyo

So Takari is of Arab origin?

Any correlation with the Hausa speakers called Takari [takarawa(plural), batakare(singular male)] by fellow Hausas because their dialect is different and heavy?

Example: Sheikh Giro (Takari), Kabiru Gombe (Hausa)

Takari are full fledged Hausas, most of them left their homes in Nigeria and reside in Saudia either legally or illegally, and I think their Hausa become heavy due to the influence of the Arab environment they live in (i.e. for those that live there for a vry long time without returning home). As for those that use to spend sometime there and return back to their homes in Nigeria and then go back you'll hardly heard their Hausa bcm heavy.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by A7(m): 12:10am On Feb 12, 2018
Baaballiyo:

Takari are full fledged Hausas, most of them left their homes in Nigeria and reside in Saudia either legally or illegally, and I think their Hausa become heavy due to the influence of the Arab environment they live in (i.e. for those that live there for a vry long time without returning home). As for those that use to spend sometime there and return back to their homes in Nigeria and then go back you'll hardly heard their Hausa bcm heavy.

The Takari/Takarawa i was referring to were indigenous Hausa speakers with roots mainly from Katsina, Zamfara, Sokoto and Kebbi.

They got the name from other Hausa speakers because of the different dialect they use.

I think the Takari i was referencing and Takarir are entirely different terminologies.

The Arab uses Takarir for non Arab settlers while the Hausa uses Takari for fellow Hausas from states i listed above.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Fulaman198(m): 3:26am On Feb 12, 2018
Baaballiyo:

Yes indeed it could be sooner if we are able to unite and be selfless. Though for as long as Nigeria exist; for her Unity has always been elusive. Though with the right leadership, Education and Economic development we can turn things around.

Insha'Allah it will happen dear brother. I like your attitude and positive attitude towards the matter/issue. We need people like you to make Nigeria the great nation it was destined to be.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 3:28am On Feb 13, 2018
Baaballiyo:

And how do you achieve the bolded without the other? That's the irony of it all, you cant achieve one without the other.

Insanity they say is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by jiddama(f): 2:03pm On Feb 13, 2018
DanZubair:
Yes, but with your help.
I have that intention in mind and I am a part of them. Kanuris, Fulanis, Tuaregs, Igbos, Yorubas and other Africans
Hausa naming ceremony and Hausa names;
The Hausas are fond of giving their children one or more names other than the Islamic names. Children are often named after the day of the week on which they were born:
Day of the week- male/female
Sunday- Danladi/Ladi

Monday- Tanimu/Inna or Attine

Teusday- Tatu/ Talatu or Lanti or Lantana or Tatu

Wednesday- Balarabe/ Balaraba or Laraba

Thursday - Danlami/Laminde

Friday- Danjuma or Jume or Jumare / Jummai or Jimma or Juma

Saturday- Dan Asabe/ Asabe or Asibi or Gude

I stand to be corrected
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Baaballiyo(m): 8:38pm On Feb 13, 2018
A7:

The Takari/Takarawa i was referring to were indigenous Hausa speakers with roots mainly from Katsina, Zamfara, Sokoto and Kebbi.

They got the name from other Hausa speakers because of the different dialect they use.

I think the Takari i was referencing and Takarir are entirely different terminologies.

The Arab uses Takarir for non Arab settlers while the Hausa uses Takari for fellow Hausas from states i listed above.

Ohk , actually this is may first time of hearing about them (The ones u're referring to).
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by JikanBaura(m): 10:01pm On Feb 13, 2018
Baaballiyo:

One thing about Hausa people is, no matter where they live or settled even if they do not hold on to the Hausa culture they almost certainly hold on to the language. Hardly u find a native Hausa wherever he/she might be, so long as he/she grow with some elders then he/she can speak the language. And Hausa ppl don't care wether they learn another language or not, it's amazing to meet Chinese, Lebanese and Arabs that speak Hausa . I used to laugh and marvel at the accent of the Chinese cheesy .

99% right smiley

True talk bahaushe generally don't joke with his language, to hausa people their language (hausa) is the must important aspect of their culture because hausa believe is only when you keep your language that your will reserve your culture. When language dies culture begin die little by little.

Hausa generally cares to learn other tribes language

wink I want to learn Fulatanci and Zarma , cheesy Na iya Hindi da turanci kadan kadan.

You know, It might seem like hausa people generally don't gave a hoot about others people language, But we actually do care to learn new languages, infact i can say no tribe loves learning new languages than Hausa, if other tribes haven't abandoned their mother tongue all hausa in Nigeria would certainly be multilinguals. When tribes haven't force their languages on themselves why would anybody want to learn a dead language.

cool Hausa takes much pride in being multilingual, You know it's a sign of being smart and interlectual person to be able to understand as many language as possible. A typical hausa with informal education would likely strive to learn arabic and those with formal education would love to learn English, French, Germans and maybe Chinise. In my opinion these are the languages we hausa would what to learn mainly because learning them creat uppertunities for us just like must people from the above countries that chose to learn hausa they do because they see uppertunities in doing so.

Do minority Hausa crosses African countries preserve the hausa language

In Africans countries where other tribes keep their languages you will find out hausa people have aswell learn to use those tribes language the only difference is Hausa will never dump their mother tongue in favor of other people language and that's even if they (hausa) happen to be a minority tribe.
A case in point are the hausa people in African countries like (Cameroon, Gabon, Sudan, Ghana, Eritrea) you will notice hausa people thus being minorities, had only not learned other tribes languages but also managed kept theirs sound and alive (from generations to generations) hence influence other tribe people to learn hausa language aswell.

Here is a video link of Eritrean hausa (Takharir) singing in hausa language while hausa and other tribes dance during Eritrean festival 2015. Watch your will find it's fascinating. cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC_TvljT4bg
grin

Even here in Northern Nigeria you will see hausa speaking Fulatanci (Fulfulde) , Kanuri, zarmanci (Songhai) ,Dakarci it's because they had reside in village, town and cities of those tribes. What differentiates those tribes is we hausa don't speaks other language (like English) to our fellow hausa . Even if you are Igbo or Yoruba once you showed me you understand hausa then it's the language we are going to discuss with.

In Niger Republic

More than half of the Hausa from Niger Republic speaks two or more languages. Unlick Nigerians, Niger republic people as whole tend to be multilingual. I love them for that.

That's how it should be in Nigeria , People shouldn't joke with their native language for it's the must important aspects of their culture. When language dies culture follow dies with it, that's why we all should value mother languages above any language.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Baaballiyo(m): 11:37pm On Feb 13, 2018
MitrikDenholm:

And how do you achieve the bolded without the other? That's the irony of it all, you cant achieve one without the other.

Insanity they say is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Yes we cant achieve one without the other, but I dont believe we're doing thesame thing over and over again, with every passing leardership we are becoming more aware of our abilities and potential as a Nation I believe we are graadually developing politically and with time the right leaders would take over or we as citizen would unite against the bad ones. But like I said it may take time, but I believe we would make it.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 2:51am On Feb 14, 2018
Baaballiyo:

Yes we cant achieve one without the other, but I dont believe we're doing thesame thing over and over again, with every passing leardership we are becoming more aware of our abilities and potential as a Nation I believe we are graadually developing politically and with time the right leaders would take over or we as citizen would unite against the bad ones. But like I said it may take time, but I believe we would make it.

Hmm. You know I never saw it this way. Good point. Problem is, after our current leader, who do you think would be an improvement? Won't we just revert back to the same old same old again? Don't forget we've had good leaders in the past. Problem is the pool is too dirty and corrupt to have a constant string of improving leadership. It's like washing your feet in the mud.

But I really like your perspective. Maybe I'm wrong and were progressing but either way the process is just too frustrating and unhurried for my liking and I fear with every year we waste other countries are leaving us further in the dust.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Isahalbash(m): 2:29am On Feb 16, 2018
jiddama:
This is very informative
@op could you possibly make a compilation of kanuri native names
Our culture is gradually fading out ......

Yana
Yagana
Yakaka
Yakui
Acha'budu
Yangila
Yakwaila
Yachilla
Bakura
Babagana
Yanunu
Baitu
Kandirah
Mairu
Kachalla

I hope I got some rightgrin
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Isahalbash(m): 2:33am On Feb 16, 2018
DevdanSanguine:

I think even in Nigeria you'd find that kanuris and north easterners in general are very proud of their culture. The downside being theres a very tribalistic element amongst you lot and I'm sure you can confirm. Usually in the northwest we just ask which state a person is from and generally don't care about other labels, but from personal experience and observations I noticed ethnicity is always the question in the north east.

So I guess there's a positive and negative element to it but overall I think their culture is intact. I can remember a friend showing me an invigilators list for his exam and I was surprised at some of the names because they sounded alien to, he confirmed that these were kanuri names. Him being from the north east as well had to throw a few shades about them and their character in there so am I wrong in assuming this?

There's no tribe in Nigeria that's not tribalistic in one way or the other;

Fulani,Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba, Kanuri etc.
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Isahalbash(m): 2:42am On Feb 16, 2018
jiddama:

True...but given the mass exodus of indigenous kanuri from borno state (2007-to date) due to security challenges has put the culture and language at risk....
I cringe to think of what future generations of kanuri would be....if no effort is being done to preserve our culture.....
As saying goes "kowa ya bar gida ,gida ya barshi"

I think kanuris started migrating from Borno to hausaland when Rabeh conquered Borno.." Rabewar Daular Kanem-Borno da Zuwan Rabeh ne yasa wasu daga cikinsu suka tsinci kansu a Daular Usmaniyya, wadda take cike da Hausa Fulani. Kanurinda suke yankin Masarautar Hadejia Musamman ma kasar Guri, sun gauraya da Badawa da fulani da Auyakawa. Hakan tasa karin sautin muryarsu ya sha bamban da kanurin Borno da Yobe. Sannan Al'adunsu sun jirwaye da na Hausawa."

Besides, d insecurity in Borno started around 2009 if am not mistaken.

1 Like

Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Isahalbash(m): 2:58am On Feb 16, 2018
Fulaman198:

Well the problem is most Nigerians are not the way you think they are. A lot of it is cultural. As you know certain ethnic groups behave differently from others, so there is no "one Nigerian behaviour fits all" kind of thing.

I often think that if there are people stereotyping Nigerians in the country you are currently at, you should do the same thing with them. I find it ridiculous when people see Nigerians a particular way. If I am abroad, I am one of the biggest defenders of the country.

Dividing Nigeria will only weaken it, also I disagree with your assertion that Nigeria has been failing for a century. It's been failing now since Babangida came into power, but prior to that, at one point 1 Naira = 2 dollars.

Buhari, despite what people think has great intentions for the nation. I'm not saying this because I'm a Northerner like him, I'm saying this because he's one of the first few leaders that is not corrupt. I do however agree that those who are pilfering (the elites) from the nations' wealth need to be dealt with in a way to show others their actions are not permitted.

There is a saying, United we stand, divided we fall. If we are divided we become more of a laughing stock than Sudan in its current state. This is what Westerners want to happen. They want to see Nigeria's economy grow even weaker. We don't need that. We need to starting increasing the power of the Naira (which Buhari is for, unlike that idi0t Babangida), we need to start immersing ourselves in newer tech, advancing our educational and health systems. We need to build ourselves up from a technological point of view.

Ideally, I want to see Nigeria become the next South Korea. I know that we are not a monolithic nation like S.Korea in that everyone is the same culturally speaking, but look at India. It's almost as diverse as Nigeria, yet they are doing so well.

I do not understand, but why the Pessimism? What caused it?

" Nigeria was set to become a great nation until Babangida came into power and then f00ls like Abacha, Goodluck Johnathan,"
etc. followed.

So IBB, Abacha and Gej.. Are the ones who destroyed Nigeria?

What about Muhammadu Buhari or was/is he not part of them too? Oh! Because he's fulani like you, you are given him excuses.

Person wey killed more than 800 hundred shi'ites in just 4days nah that wan better abigrin
Re: Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 4:06am On Feb 16, 2018
Isahalbash:

" Nigeria was set to become a great nation until Babangida came into power and then f00ls like Abacha, Goodluck Johnathan,"
etc. followed.

So IBB, Abacha and Gej.. Are the ones who destroyed Nigeria?

What about Muhammadu Buhari or was/is he not part of them too? Oh! Because he's fulani like you, you are given him excuses.

Person wey killed more than 800 hundred shi'ites in just 4days nah that wan better abigrin

LOL What? I'm guessing you're a Shiite then. And whether he did what you claim or not (he didn't) how does that equate to killing the country. Mind you I'm not even the biggest fan of his.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You / Strange Scenes From Coronation Of Oba In Benin Kingdom. / Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 194
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.