Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,516 members, 7,801,375 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) (15083 Views)

Telecoms Operators Groan As States Hike Charges / Telcos To Lose Non-Utilized Licences As FG Suspends Spectrum Trading / NCC To Sanction Telecom Operators For ‘call Masking’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by ijustdey: 6:46am On Jan 23, 2018
By Emma Okonji

About six telecommunications operators may lose their operational licences for their involvement in call masking and refilling, despite repeated warning from the telecoms regulatory body, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

NCC said it just concluded its investigation on call masking and refilling and discovered that six telecoms operators were involved in the illegal act that poses a national security risk and threat to the Nigerian economy, and described the act as an offence punishable by law.

In technical parlance, call masking and refilling is an attempt by callers to hide their true numbers when making calls, especially international calls which are not charged, because the caller’s identity is completely hidden on the network.

NCC’s investigation showed that the six operators were in connivance with international callers to operate masked calls in Nigeria.

The operators include: Medallion Communications, Interconnect Clearing House, Niconnx Communications Limited, Breeze Micro Limited, Solid Interconnectivity and Exchange Telecommunications Limited.

According to NCC, call masking and refilling pose a serious national security risk, since most people threaten the lives of innocent citizens through calls with masked telephones numbers that cannot be traced to them.

NCC also said most telephone numbers were masked just to defraud the economy.

The operators involved often alter local numbers to get international status in order to avoid been charged with the international rate for terminating such calls on international network, but the operators will charge the local caller with the international rate and pay at the local rate to the international network where the call was terminated.

Following the involvement of the six operators, NCC has written reminding them of the implications and the risk they face in losing their operational licences.

In one of the letters written by NCC to Medallion Communications, dated January 12, 2018, and jointly signed by the Head, Legal and Regulatory Services, Yetunde Akinloye and Head, Compliance, Monitoring and Enforcement, Efosa Idehen, NCC said: “The Commission, pursuant of section 45 (1) and (3) of the NCC Act 2003, hereby gives notice of its intention to suspend the interconnect exchange licence granted to your company due to your involvement in call masking and refilling and your failure to rectify the breach, despite repeated interventions by the commission.”

Part of the letter to Medallion read: The Commission has recently been inundated with complaints regarding the prevalence of cal, masking and refilling in the industry.

Considering the economic and security implications of the development, the Commission, in 2017, wrote, directing relevant licences to ensure the cessation of call masking or refilling activities on their respective networks.

The deadline for compliance with the directive was July 28, 2017. At a stakeholders meeting on August 3, 2017, it was resolved that a comprehensive investigation would be carried out by the Commission to determine the companies/licences involved in the illegal activity of call masking and refilling.

At the meeting, licences were warned to desist from the practice, while it was also agreed that identified culprits would be sanctioned as part of measures to forestall the negative impact on national interest.

Having carefully analysed all the relevant data collected in the course of investigation, the Commission has established a direct and indirect evidence against your company in the illegal and unwholesome activity of call masking and call refilling.

NCC has therefore asked the six telecoms operators to state reasons why the Commission should not suspend the said licence, and has equally asked the operators to send in their responses on or before January 31, 2018.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/01/23/six-telecoms-operators-may-lose-licences-over-call-masking-refilling/

lalasticlala
Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by marooh: 6:57am On Jan 23, 2018
Abeg where I fit see zoom or Nitel sim grin

1 Like

Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by Lanceslot(m): 7:01am On Jan 23, 2018
They major in minor and minor in major things... Ndi ala.

11 Likes

Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by Nutase: 7:32am On Jan 23, 2018
Lanceslot:
true

3 Likes

Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by SeunGabs(m): 7:49am On Jan 23, 2018
Hmm
Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by mesoprogress(m): 7:50am On Jan 23, 2018
Ncc is a scam. They increased international calling rate giving way to this kind scam. Skype that was very cheap to call Nigerian number from abroad during the previous tenure is now no longer affordable. All because govt want to raise funds. This is why international call now terminate as local calls . Reason is because operators are hiding real source of call to avoid exorbitant charges by NCC.

14 Likes

Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by REMMEI(m): 7:50am On Jan 23, 2018
I didn't even know what call masking and refilling is before now.. and who are these people mentioned?

The operators include: Medallion Communications, Interconnect Clearing House, Niconnx Communications Limited, Breeze Micro Limited, Solid Interconnectivity and Exchange Telecommunications Limited.

My mind went straight to the likes of MTN, GLO and others.

Well,our national security is more porous than a million sieves before.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by Jacksy(m): 7:50am On Jan 23, 2018
Oun pe
Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by NotBeenPaid: 7:52am On Jan 23, 2018
Usual blabbing and nothing will happen. Or is it not the incompetent NCC I know?

2 Likes

Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by Nobody: 7:52am On Jan 23, 2018
Lanceslot:
Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by sydneyobioha(m): 7:52am On Jan 23, 2018
shit hole country

1 Like

Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by OlalekanMultiD(m): 7:53am On Jan 23, 2018
Who masking helps... Abeg help me beg Glo to return my money i no sub again.. Since 3days now I haven't been able to use the jakujaku data. I just hate you more

4 Likes

Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by Durchmann(m): 7:54am On Jan 23, 2018
This is a good development.

I've seen this occur a lot of times. International calls come in like local calls and you'll be wondering why the phone number looks local. That's fraud and also poses a security risk as well.

Good job, NCC!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by jerflakes(m): 7:56am On Jan 23, 2018
OlalekanMultiD:
Who masking helps... Abeg help me beg Glo to return my money i no sub again.. Since 3days now I haven't been able to use the jakujaku data. I just hate you more

Stale talk

Glo works perfectly everywhere I go

5 Likes

Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by mesoprogress(m): 7:56am On Jan 23, 2018
Durchmann:
This is a good development.

I've seen this occur a lot of times. International calls come in like local calls and you'll be wondering why the phone number looks local. That's fraud and also poses a security risk as well.

Good job, NCC!!!
Ncc is a scam. They increased international calling rate giving way to this kind scam. Skype that was very cheap to call Nigerian number from abroad during the previous tenure is now no longer affordable. All because govt want to raise funds. This is why international call now terminate as local calls . Reason is because operators are hiding real source of call to avoid exorbitant charges by NCC.

3 Likes

Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by 2shure: 7:57am On Jan 23, 2018
im sick of windows 10
sick of spectranet.
something jus said check your data balance.
low and behold.its on 5gig
and i made subcription 6days ago.
10k.....
data....25gig...... very low
data deceit bonus...free night browsing. yes its free.
hidden charges(if u dont restart your wifi just afta 1am...all your data na bye bye)
why 1am.....because they are lazy and useless.
a new day starts 12am.

spectranet are thieves..useless 3g network claiming 4g.

2 Likes

Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by ClumsyFlimsy: 7:59am On Jan 23, 2018
aragon4realz:
true talk
are you in south south, south east and need a website visit www.cloudlinedesigns.Com
how much
Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by ikorodureporta: 8:00am On Jan 23, 2018
Ok
Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by SalamRushdie: 8:00am On Jan 23, 2018
Call Masking has been more helpful to suffering Nigerians as its the reason why you call to USA is sometimes cheaper that a local call to another network..the Telcos are doing all possible to make call affordable to Nigerians but the NEC is adamant on making phone calls affordable for the rich alone ..well thanks to what's app calls we can now all initiate and terminate crisp and clear audio or video call all in the internet where NEC has no say

2 Likes

Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by aragon4realz(m): 8:09am On Jan 23, 2018
ClumsyFlimsy:
how much
contact or what'sapp us 08127403006, let talk business
Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by jide333(m): 8:12am On Jan 23, 2018
in as much as we welcome the idea of trying to make them pay for the internation calls just like the way they charge we citizens, i believe hiding your number doesn't pose any threat to the national security. Hello !!!!! even in the usa and in uk you can as well hide you number to make calls, if anyone feel threaten then he or she can report to the police and the police will visit the network you are using be it mtn, glo, 9mobile to name a few. Trust me there is nothing hiding to them when it comes to making calls if u like mask your number with masquerade or eyo or igunuko, i swear they will detect the caller and trace the number if they truly want to catch the caller that hid his/her number. but i guess this is the work of the senate since kidnapping they affect them and i believe the kidnappers they always call with hiding number so dem no want make their relative die before investigation go complete to detect the caller... NICE MOVE!!

3 Likes

Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by three: 8:12am On Jan 23, 2018
May lose ke?
Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by whyniel: 8:25am On Jan 23, 2018
MTN is culprit #1
Especially when you receive calls from/call African countries where they have coverage.

1 Like

Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by Nobody: 8:27am On Jan 23, 2018
2shure:
im sick of windows 10
sick of spectranet.
10k.....
hidden charges(if u dont restart your wifi just afta 1am...all your data na bye bye)
a new day starts 12am.

Hey bro I can help you with the data consumption you are currently facing. It's not for free though. It's not a scam either. So if you are ready just call me 09027565685
Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by Horlaarsco: 8:29am On Jan 23, 2018
HOW MANY WE CON GET?
Re: Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) by Nobody: 8:32am On Jan 23, 2018
2shure:
im sick of windows 10
sick of spectranet.
10k.....
a new day starts 12am.

it depends on the area you live in . Places like ikeja, yaba, vi. The spectranet network is very fast.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Data Usage For The Month Of June / Interswitch Ng Mobilepay (umobile, Z-mobile) / HELP!! My Airtel Social Bundle Cannot Open Facebook, Google And Gmail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.