Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,708 members, 7,802,130 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:34 AM

Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors (18381 Views)

No Programme Of Event Has Been Scheduled For Osinbajo As Acting President- Today / Osinbajo’s 48 Hours As Acting President - Punch / Gbagauns: President Jonathan’s Grammatical Blunders During His Campaign Speeches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 2:34am On Apr 15, 2010
So asking someone to speak in a language he may be more familiar with is an attack on the speakers of that language?
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 2:46am On Apr 15, 2010
Beaf

IBB you call a demon in some of your posts also have a tribe.

I don't think the Nupe people are happy when you criticise him, just like you are not happy that your fellow Igbo man or Ijaw man or Niger-Delta or whatever you call yourself these days; is being criticised.

Jonathan is now the President, at some point he will be blamed for all of Nigeria's problems, so get used to it.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 2:47am On Apr 15, 2010
Instead of us to be focusing on issues that needs to be addressed concerning our nation, pple are out here spotting grammatical errors in the Ag presidents speech,. This is the reason why nigeria is backward. we can never agree on something, we always say negative things. I wonder how long this would continue. undecided
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 2:49am On Apr 15, 2010
krendo:

So asking someone to speak in a language he may be more familiar with is an attack on the speakers of that language?

Its easy to be two-faced. I'm sure you were one of those who screamed loudest when Yar'Adua gave BBC Hausa his first interview (in Hausa) after vanishing from the job of President.
Jonathan represents [size=14pt]all[/size] of Nigeria, whether Yoruba, Ibibio, Igbo or Nupe; therefore referring to Ijaw is rightly seen as a backhand insult on all Ijaw people. Simple as.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 2:52am On Apr 15, 2010
krendo:

Beaf

I don't think the Nupe people are happy when you criticise him, just like you are not happy that your fellow Igbo man or Ijaw man or Niger-Delta or whatever you call yourself these days; is being criticised.

Jonathan is now the President, at some point he will be blamed for all of Nigeria's problems, so get used to it.

Lame.

[size=14pt]Yeah, IBB is a demon[/size]. Is that a lie?
Whats with bringing Nupe into it? You are now reaching for straws, eh?
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by habybson10: 2:56am On Apr 15, 2010
sad[b][/b]
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 3:00am On Apr 15, 2010
Beaf:

Its easy to be two-faced. I'm sure you were one of those who screamed loudest when Yar'Adua gave BBC Hausa his first interview (in Hausa) after vanishing from the job of President.
Jonathan represents [size=14pt]all[/size] of Nigeria, whether Yoruba, Ibibio, Igbo or Nupe; therefore referring to Ijaw is rightly seen as a backhand insult on all Ijaw people. Simple as.

English is our lingua franca but he clearly failed on that one.
The only other available choices are Pidgin or his mother tongue Ijaw language.

Or is Ijaw language not a Nigerian language anymore? if dressing in Ijaw attire while representing ALL Nigerians is not a slight on Ijaw people, then it should not be a slight on them if he speaks the language and if that is the language he finds more comfortable.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Teamarh(f): 3:30am On Apr 15, 2010
Error or not error 9ja current political state isnt a plc 4 grammatical contest wat is nided is action n i tink hs tryng abi no b so?no mata wat obama will undstnd wateva he says dr 4 white huz.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by 006(m): 3:42am On Apr 15, 2010
Why are folks huffing and puffing because the poster pointed out something that's very worrying?
He's a PhD holder for god’s sake and studied all his life in English and had held political offices in Nigeria, yet he couldn't complete a sentence.

The number of grammatical errors is so much that personally I'd question his academic qualification.
Common, we're not that backward anymore. Is this all we’ve got?

HE HAS TO IMPROVE, ELSE HE SHOULD STOP TALKING and stop embarrassing Nigerians!
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 4:06am On Apr 15, 2010
006:

Why are folks huffing and puffing because the poster pointed out something that's very worrying?
He's a PhD holder for god’s sake and studied all his life in English and had held political offices in Nigeria, yet he couldn't complete a sentence.

The number of grammatical errors is so much that personally I'd question his academic qualification.
Common, we're not that backward anymore. Is this all we’ve got?

HE HAS TO IMPROVE, ELSE HE SHOULD STOP TALKING and stop embarrassing Nigerians!

This is how we praise our leaders into failure in this country. Yar'adua was once the darling of every Nigerian. Then it was almost criminal to criticize anything about him. Now we know better.

Yar'adua for all his bad english and all signs of a mediocre leader. We kept choosing to tell our selves lies about Yar'adua that everything wrong about the man Yar'adua was what makes us Nigerians. Now we know better.

He promised us to review the Land-use-act, he promised railway lines, he promised rule-of-law, fight against corruption, emergency on energy, transportation netwrorks bla bla bla.

What did we get? more corruption, inability to respect the law even in death bed, An Attorney General whose sole responsibility was to serve as defence lawyer to his previous corrupt clients, probe of everything probable and yet no progress on lights, reversals upon reversals including reversing themselves.

But you know how we started? Yar'adua was very humble, Yar'adua was our first Graduate President, Yar'adua has a beautiful smile, thou shall not touch my annointed. We praised, praised and praised him untill all our institutions were destroyed and a dictator emerged. We now claimed Yar'adua was a good man surrounded by bad people.

We have started again with Jonathan. Thou shall not question anything he does for he has been annointed by God through OBJ to liberate the good people of Nigeria to Utopia where all Nigerians will be driving helcopters and Nigeria will emerge the next world super power.

FOLKS WAKE!!!!!!! UP WE CREATE DICTATORS BY OVERPRAISING LEADERS WHO HAVE SIMPLY ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING. CRITICISMS HELP KEEP LEADERS HORNEST. IT HELPS FOR TRUE REALITY CHECK. STOP THE ENCOMIUMS AND START ASKING QUESTIONS.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Jakumo(m): 5:57am On Apr 15, 2010
Reports from around Nigeria confirm that the perennial mains electricity blackout is finally coming to an end.  For the first time in DECADES, lights are on, freezers are running, welding shops are reopened for business, computerized offices and life saving hospital equipment hum uninterrupted, people can charge their phones and pump drinking water without the use of a generator, and Nigeria is actually beginning to awaken from her vegetative slumber.

This good news is a very VERY VERY big deal.  Jonathan Goodluck has wrought a miracle in Nigeria, y'all, and has done so without fanfare or publicity.   With this stunning transformation now under way for the whole world to see, nobody in their right mind ought to care in the slightest whether or not President Goodluck speaks the English language with an African, Chinese or Icelandic accent, or indeed whether he can speak English at all.

Jonathan Goodluck.  You is da MAN !    Sho y'right ! 

Vote for Jonathan Goodluck and Raji Fashola as President and  Vice President for Nigeria 2011 !  Yeeeeeeehaw !

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to say.  Phuck Baboongida and the horse he rode in on.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by mamagee3(f): 6:08am On Apr 15, 2010
It's funny how most users are here are against the poster's criticism of Jonathan's Grammar. . .
Guys, take it easy. . .Jonathan should be able to speak standardized English, that's the main quality of being a leader (President)
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Jakumo(m): 6:13am On Apr 15, 2010
Mama gee-spot , if a poll were taken across Nigeria to find out whether continuous electrical power is more or less important than the quality of the president's spoken English, NOBODY will make ANY reference to linguistic skills, while EVERYBODY will praise and salute the woman that gave birth to Jonathan Goodluck - the Light Giver, who rescued Nigeria from the darkness and hopelessness that till now seemed her eternal fate.

[size=18pt]Goodluck for President 2011 ![/size]
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nigerd(m): 6:17am On Apr 15, 2010
krendo:

Beaf

Point of correction
IBB no be Nupe, He is Gbari by Tribe,
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by mamagee3(f): 6:20am On Apr 15, 2010
Jakumo:

Mama gee-spot , if a poll were taken across Nigeria to find out whether continuous electrical power is more or less important than the quality of the president's spoken English, NOBODY will make ANY reference to linguistic skills, while EVERYBODY will praise and salute the woman that gave birth to Jonathan Goodluck - the Light Giver, who rescued Nigeria from the darkness and hopelessness that till now seemed her eternal fate.

[size=18pt]Goodluck for President 2011 ![/size]

In your dreams, I say. . . grin
People would rather elect Obasanjo for a 3rd term than vote for that weakling called Jonathan Goodluck. . .
Let's face it, he has no quality of a leader talk less of a President.
And how long has he been in Office, 9 months? undecided
With nothing to show for it?
grin
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nigerd(m): 6:31am On Apr 15, 2010
mama-gee:

In your dreams, I say. . . grin
People would rather elect Obasanjo for a 3rd term than vote for that weakling called Jonathan Goodluck. . .
Let's face it, he has no quality of a leader talk less of a President.
And how long has he been in Office, 9 months? undecided
With nothing to show for it?
grin

U understand ur self so?

Open ur eyes madam, c 4 ur self,

IBB 8yrs and Goodluck 2months
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Jakumo(m): 6:37am On Apr 15, 2010
Mama Gee you evidently have no idea what a MAJOR accomplishment it has been for Jonathan Goodluck to obliterate the cartel that has kept Nigeria without electrical power for the past 30 years.  That is the only feat he NEEDS to perform to win hearts and minds all over Nigeria.

Living stateside as you do, you can be forgiven for assuming that there is uninterrupted electrical power all over the world, so it is understandable that you would not recognize the importance of this monumental feat of magic performed by the MAIN MAN, Jonathan Goodluck.

[size=16pt]Jonathan Goodluck The Light Giver for president of Nigeria 2011 ![/size]
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 8:22am On Apr 15, 2010
If we Nigerians can not constantly criticize our leaders in order to make them perform effectively well in everything they do, including speech presentations, then I think there is something wrong with our mentality as Nigerians. Jonathan represents a country of 150 million Nigerians today, he is the main public image which the whole world uses to access us, so if he can not be presidential in everything he does, then he still has a long way to go.

I mean these are minor things he should know considering his level of education.

Obama despite his high performance ratings is still constantly criticized by the American people and institutions, and that is the best way to make him better in everything he does. embarassed

E
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Dominoifet(m): 8:24am On Apr 15, 2010
Mama-Gee
Why r u talking like Turai?
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 8:36am On Apr 15, 2010
That is why it is always best for people to move out of their enclaves to get the needed exposure that would make them better in everything they do,rather than staying in one village, state, or country and becoming local champions that would always fall like a pack of cards on the world stage
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Abagworo(m): 8:50am On Apr 15, 2010
best orator does not make the best leader but the best decision taker makes the best leader.it is all about wisdom and understanding and not language.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Dominoifet(m): 8:54am On Apr 15, 2010
Mama gee

Pls don't give us sometin reminiscent of Turai as we r trying to move on now.

Turai was torn between to options
1 her husband
2 Power
Which should b her priority?
She choose power at d detriment of her husbands health and her image as well

Now here we r with Lucky. Which should b priority
1 Power electricity
2 English

I think he didn't choose English like the non performing Bankole, I think that is what we need now. National construction as oppose to grammatical construction
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by kev123(m): 9:44am On Apr 15, 2010
guy we don't need somebody that speaks english and mind you the english does not really matter , what matters most a leader that will take this country further, a leader that will redeem the image of this country, a leader that will stand and say no to corruption, a leader that will hear the cry of the masses, a leader that will create employment opportunity to the masses, a leader that can conduct free and fair election and a leader that will meet all the needs of nigerian like infrastructure's and others.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by londoner: 10:03am On Apr 15, 2010
AG Goodluck Jonathan's priority is not his way of speaking, but as someone who is now the closest to what we have as a president, he needs to undergo some type of training in terms of his speech diction etc. Its not a new thing, even Prime Ministers of England and people like Obama are trained on how to talk, walk and even hand gestures. Its a well known fact that we make an assessment about people within the first few seconds of meeting them. He doesn't need anything coming from him which doesn't inspire confidence in him as a leader and in turn Nigeria as a country.

Having said that, its a problem with many Nigerians generally, from newsreaders to so called ministers down to supposed graduates. They dont have a grasp of the English language, a language which is the official language of their country and one which they have been "taught" from an early age. Many Nigerians struggle to speak clearly and correctly and the spelling is absolutely atrocious, even with words which are relatively simple.

Mistakes are allowed (we all make them), but ignorance as to the correct way to spell, pronounce common words are evidence of the failure of the Nigerian educational system. Lets not forget that he never envisioned being in this position just a few months ago.

Accent is absolutely irrelevant , but sometimes it can lead you to make elementary mistakes, such as some people whos accent leads them to add an "h" sound" where there is none, or leave it off where it should be there.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by FrankC3: 10:39am On Apr 15, 2010
Uncle J is obviously a very sound mind when it comes to logic and deductive thinking, and talking too but the fact remains that his spoken English contains too many grammatical errors. But i rather have a GJ with quite pragmatism and bad spoken English than have a 'Soyinka' with a beautiful spoken English and a bad leadership.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by knotty(m): 10:39am On Apr 15, 2010
Can someone point out the wrongly spoken words of the Acting President? can they please show me where he got his expression, construction and mechanical accuracy wrong, at least we all hold that the content is okay?

let those who think they can speak better than him tell us plainly what they would have said better than the man.

at this stage of our national backwardness, we cannot afford to cure ACNE while LEPROSY is eating deep into our collective souls.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Arkison: 11:02am On Apr 15, 2010
The bondage to Slavery is more apparent when you are denied the right to speak in your mother Tongue.

Wake up Africans. Speaking good English, French, Portugese, Arabic will not make us a better nation.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by desgiezd(m): 11:13am On Apr 15, 2010
His english is not presidential at all, at least yara dua has an A in that area.

@ Poster

By comparing Jonathan's spoken English with that of Yar Adua shows how terribly bias you are. Is it the same Yar Adua who when he speaks one would be struggling to understand each word because of the way he pronounces them or you are talking of another Yar Adua? If you are claiming Jonathan does not speak good English, what then would you say about most leaders from Asia?

By the way, is it his manner of speaking that will translate to 24 hours electricity supply and organising free and fair elections?

Quit being petty and let's face issues that would lift us from the debased level we have found ourselves as a nation.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by soulamanne(m): 11:32am On Apr 15, 2010
thanks poster i noticed big time, this isnt about dissin or beefin the guy.a bit of tushin the accent up is part of diplomatic gimmicks.wonder what his PR guys are doing
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 15, 2010
I dont see why reasonable minds should compare Bankole's performance with Jonathan's,
For God's sake, Bankole is only a speaker, he is neither a minister nor a governor, so I believe  Jonathan affects our lives directly much more than Bankole.

Frankly speaking, I have nothing against Jonathan, though I have my reservations about him, being the fact that he is still part of the gang of crooks holding Nigeria to ransome.

But we should all agree to the fact that his speech  presentation needs to be polished in order to make him presentable outside Nigeria, It is for his own good and not for my own good. sad
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 11:54am On Apr 15, 2010
mobuch:

I dont see how reasonable minds should compare Bankole's performance with Jonathan's,
For God's sake, Bankole is only a speaker, he is neither a minister nor a governor, so I believe Jonathan affects our lives directly much more than Bankole.

Frankly speaking, I have nothing against Jonathan, though I have my reservations about him, being the fact that he is still part of the gang of crooks holding Nigeria to ransome.

But we should all agree to the fact that his speech presentation needs to be polished in order to make him presentable outside Nigeria, It is for his own good and not for my own good. sad

So you aren't even Nigerian or what?
And we all thought you were arguing for the benefit of the country! cry cry cry

Go Uncle Joe! Nutin do yu!
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by londoner: 12:16pm On Apr 15, 2010
Heads of states are trained on how to present themselves. Why are we acting as if its not important? Look at Bush, one of the most enduring memories of him was the way he came across as uneducated and less intelligent than his peers. We dont have to pretend that these things will not count in the future, although I agree that its not an issue of immediate importance.

I must wonder though whether people actually took note of what was said. Jonathan gave a worrying insight into his mindset and possibly the way he will be a "business as usual" leader. Did you notice that when he was asked about Iwu, he stated that the last THREE elections were FREE and FAIR?? Even Yaradua came out publicly to admit the last one was flawed. He is not singing from the same hyme sheet as the rest of Nigeria.

If he sees nothing wrong, its unlikely that there will be no real electoral reform or adoption of the Uwais report. I'm beginning to get worried.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Reps Threaten To Impeach President Goodluck Jonathan / Julius Berger To Build Second Niger-Bridge / Supreme Court Orders Retrial Of Petition Against Dakwambo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.