Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,859 members, 7,802,756 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:52 PM

Are Pastors actually supposed to create jobs and/or Criticize Political Leaders? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Pastors actually supposed to create jobs and/or Criticize Political Leaders? (694 Views)

If Jesus Didn't Charge For Healing Then Why Are Pastors Doing So? / Are Pastors' Wives Pastors? / Meet 3 Hip-hop Artistes Whose Fathers Are Pastors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Pastors actually supposed to create jobs and/or Criticize Political Leaders? by jamael(m): 9:04pm On Jan 24, 2018
For quite some time, the internet has been awash with calls from many Nigerians to pastors as to their role in nation building or politics.

Here is my own view based on some Bible portions. Feel free to state yours.

The primary duty of every Christian (including pastors) is to BE LIKE CHRIST. Never forget that. In places of work, school, markets, business, trade etc, the individual is first a Christian, and then a worker, student etc. Every other thing is secondary.
We see this clearly in the call of Moses. When the children of Israel were suffering, the bible records in Exodus 3: 9,10. “Now therefore, behold the cry of the children of Israel is come unto me: and I have also seen the oppression wherewith the Egyptians oppress them. Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt”.
Israel was in bondage in the land of Egypt. When God saw their sufferings, and heard their cry, he did not send Moses to make the children of Israel members of the leading council of Egypt, improve the welfare of the children of Israel, enrol the children in schools, empower the women or even increase their wages in Egypt. All these things would have been good on their own, but as long as they were still in Egypt, it was contrary to the plan of God. Same case in our society, nation and around the world. The purpose of the gospel is first to save from sin. “Mathew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shall call his name Jesus for He shall save his people from their sins.”
Re: Are Pastors actually supposed to create jobs and/or Criticize Political Leaders? by jamael(m): 9:05pm On Jan 24, 2018
THE ROLE OF THE CHURCH IS NOT PRIMARILY TO BUILD INDUSTRIES, EMPLOY PEOPLE OR EVEN PROVIDE JOBS. That’s the role of the government and private sectors. Jesus didn’t do any of these, same as the apostles. (It can be a means to an end. Provided the end is reaching the sinners with the gospel). What they did in fact, was to preach the gospel. So, all those who are crying and screaming that the churches should close down their branches in order to build industries are subtly anti-Christ. The solution of the need of all men is not industry or money. With a vast majority of billionaires in America, crime rate is still high and a large percentage of people there are involved in the worst form of perversions imaginable. If money were to solve their problems, then these vices should not be made mention of. NEVER MISTAKE THE BLESSINGS OF GOD IN MONETARY VALUE. In fact, Love for God and love for money are the opposite ends of two parallel lines that can never meet. (Mathew 6:24 and 1 Timothy 6:10).

1 Like

Re: Are Pastors actually supposed to create jobs and/or Criticize Political Leaders? by jamael(m): 9:06pm On Jan 24, 2018
JUST AS THE ROLE OF GOVERNMENT IS NOT TO SPREAD THE GOSPEL AND BUILD CHURCHES. That’s the role of Christians. We make a gross error when we see Christianity as mere religious persuasion or Jewish fantasy. It is a way of life. And that is a life first freed from sin and next, pleasing to God. The fact that there are many people that go to churches does not mean that they are all Christians. Jesus says that in Mathew 5:21 “Not every one that saith (sings, preaches, shouts, teaches, etc) unto me Lord, Lord shall enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” So, the number of churches is not always a direct relation to the number of Christians.

1 Like

Re: Are Pastors actually supposed to create jobs and/or Criticize Political Leaders? by jamael(m): 9:10pm On Jan 24, 2018
Now, some persons say that some of the pastors in our country don’t speak about the cases of corruption and injustice and nepotism and all vices in the land. This, they say, is contrary to the lifestyles of some of the prophets of old like Nathan, Elijah and the rest of them. Now this might be some how true. But we should first note that Israel was a nation meant for Theocracy. In Jeremiah 32:48 “And they shall be my people, and I will be their God”. also, in 1 Samuel 8:7 “And the LORD said unto Samuel, hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them” From this, God was the one who instituted their leaders in those positions, hence He sent his prophets to remind, warn, instruct them when they rejected him.
What then do we see about Christ. In his time, it was not a theocratic system of government. Did He even speak evil of Herod when John the Baptist was killed? That was not what he was on earth for. The only time He mentioned Caesar was when he was to pay his tax. Even the people were surprised as to whether he was the Messiah because they thought he was going to emancipate them politically. (John 6:15 and John 7:31-42). Finally, on this issue we see the instruction of the apostles. In Acts 23:5 “Then said Paul, I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people”. And in 1 Tim 2:1-2 “I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty”. The duty of Christian to political leaders is to pray for them and give them advise when opportune and not to speak evil of them.

1 Like

Re: Are Pastors actually supposed to create jobs and/or Criticize Political Leaders? by jamael(m): 9:11pm On Jan 24, 2018
Finally, this Christian race is an individual one. We came to this world alone, we will die alone and we will all stand before God alone. Don’t allow other people, sinners, men of God, God of men, freedom fighters, emancipators etc. to change your faith in God. Jesus only and Jesus alone. God’s grace.
SHARE YOUR VIEWS
cc: OLAADEGBU;
alBHAGDADI

1 Like

Re: Are Pastors actually supposed to create jobs and/or Criticize Political Leaders? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jan 24, 2018
And finally the role of the church is not to fleece it's congregation dry, as most live in penury, while the head of the churches lives in affluence. Sometimes Daddy Freeze is right.
Re: Are Pastors actually supposed to create jobs and/or Criticize Political Leaders? by jamael(m): 9:43pm On Jan 24, 2018
Remimadrid:
And finally the role of the church is not to fleece it's congregation dry, as most live in penury, while the head of the churches lives in affluence. Sometimes Daddy Freeze is right.
Yes. Sometimes
Re: Are Pastors actually supposed to create jobs and/or Criticize Political Leaders? by Nobody: 1:51am On Jan 25, 2018
The whole saga of criticism is traced to poverty and unemployment. Am sure if the unemployment and poverty rate is low,we wouldn't be seeing many business centres in the name of church and many lunatics in the name of movement to free sheep.They will be all busy with one thing or the other that the social media will have less traffic
Re: Are Pastors actually supposed to create jobs and/or Criticize Political Leaders? by jamael(m): 7:41am On Jan 25, 2018
asuustrike2009:
The whole saga of criticism is traced to poverty and unemployment. Am sure if the unemployment and poverty rate is low,we wouldn't be seeing many business centres in the name of church and many lunatics in the name of movement to free sheep.They will be all busy with one thing or the other that the social media will have less traffic
Really true. Some of the people who go to churches are poor and their pastors take advantage of them. They are told that God will bless them if they give. But they don't know that the blessings come if they give attention to their duties in their place of work and also try to improve themselves. They forget the scripture: "He that does not work should not eat". If you want God to bless you, let Him see you doing something. Not staying idle and refusing to take risks.
Re: Are Pastors actually supposed to create jobs and/or Criticize Political Leaders? by paxonel(m): 7:54am On Jan 25, 2018
jamael:
For quite some time, the internet has been awash with calls from many Nigerians to pastors as to their role in nation building or politics.

Here is my own view based on some Bible portions. Feel free to state yours.

The primary duty of every Christian (including pastors) is to BE LIKE CHRIST. Never forget that. In places of work, school, markets, business, trade etc, the individual is first a Christian, and then a worker, student etc. Every other thing is secondary.
We see this clearly in the call of Moses. When the children of Israel were suffering, the bible records in Exodus 3: 9,10. “Now therefore, behold the cry of the children of Israel is come unto me: and I have also seen the oppression wherewith the Egyptians oppress them. Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt”.
Israel was in bondage in the land of Egypt. When God saw their sufferings, and heard their cry, he did not send Moses to make the children of Israel members of the leading council of Egypt, improve the welfare of the children of Israel, enrol the children in schools, empower the women or even increase their wages in Egypt. All these things would have been good on their own, but as long as they were still in Egypt, it was contrary to the plan of God. Same case in our society, nation and around the world. The purpose of the gospel is first to save from sin. “Mathew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shall call his name Jesus for He shall save his people from their sins.”
Pastors were suppose to educate people, but they are not. So we have many ignorant leaders springing out of the population
Re: Are Pastors actually supposed to create jobs and/or Criticize Political Leaders? by Nobody: 11:28am On Jan 25, 2018
jamael:

Really true. Some of the people who go to churches are poor and their pastors take advantage of them. They are told that God will bless them if they give. But they don't know that the blessings come if they give attention to their duties in their place of work and also try to improve themselves. They forget the scripture: "He that does not work should not eat". If you want God to bless you, let Him see you doing something. Not staying idle and refusing to take risks.
That is true
Re: Are Pastors actually supposed to create jobs and/or Criticize Political Leaders? by alBHAGDADI: 1:18pm On Jan 26, 2018
Remimadrid:
But he states that Churches are to be building infrastructure, a thing which is the duty of governments and was never our commission from Christ.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Open Heavens Daily Devotional 26/01/18 / Faith In The Gospel Of Water And The Spirit Is The Orthodox Faith. / Archaeologists Have Found First-ever Evidence Of A Legendary Biblical Prophet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.