Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,742 members, 7,802,260 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:42 AM

How Our Schools Do Not Actually Test Our Intelligence - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Our Schools Do Not Actually Test Our Intelligence (584 Views)

Mallam Adamu Adamu Open Our Schools / Reopen Our Schools, NANS Implores Makinde / The State Of Deterioration In Our Schools In Borno State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Our Schools Do Not Actually Test Our Intelligence by Kalatium(m): 2:19am On Jan 26, 2018
never let my schooling interfere with my education — Mark Twain

Intelligence is not measured by the number of A's you get nor a GPA of 5.0. Our educational system ( or should I say schools) use tests and exams to determine how intelligent we are but the truth is that they are just testing our memories.

There is a saying that a child educated only in school is an uneducated child. There is quite true. In School students are only taught what to learn but not how to learn. True Education is not merely learned by reading a text book and to prove someone understands something is not merely through a test. The way of memorising facts and dates then taking a test and forgetting about them a week later is of no good. Education is about inspiring ones mind not just feeling our heads.

Our schools don't test all aspects of our intelligence only our memory and once you can't remember what you've read you are referred to as being unserious. Our educational system follows a check list and once you give anything out of the box you are marked down. All what we are taught to do is garbage in garbage out. Some once said that if you want to succeed in live you have to do what you have never been taught in school or else every who went to school will be successful.

Howard Gardner came up with the theory of multiple intelligences that there are 8 types of intelligences.

#1 Linguistic intelligence (“word smart”)

#2 Logical-mathematical intelligence (“number/reasoning smart”)

#3 Spatial intelligence (“picture smart”)

#4 Bodily-Kinesthetic intelligence (“body smart”)

#5 Musical intelligence (“music smart”)

#6 Interpersonal intelligence (“people smart”)

#7 Intrapersonal intelligence (“self smart”)

#8 Naturalist intelligence (“nature smart”)

Our schools and culture focus most of their attention on linguistic and logical-mathematical intelligence. We esteem the highly articulate or logical people of our culture. We praise those with high IQ but that's only a part of intelligence. We should also place equal attention on individuals who show gifts in the other intelligences: the artists, architects, musicians, naturalists, designers, dancers, therapists, entrepreneurs, and others who enrich the world in which we live. Unfortunately, many children who have these gifts don’t receive much reinforcement for them in school. Many of these kids, in fact, end up being labeled “learning disabled".

You see, we all have different gifts and strengths and to create an educational system where only one type of learning is preferred is absurd.

The fact that you fail a test doesn't mean you are dumb. Just because you are having a hard time understanding something doesn't mean it's impossible. There are no bad students only inflexible teachers No one is dull just that they don't understand in the way the teacher /lecturer thought.

The secret is you, you must figure how you learn and everything you can about what you love and I promise, learning will be a lot easier.

Thanks for reading.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Our Schools Do Not Actually Test Our Intelligence by billynoni(m): 3:24am On Jan 26, 2018
Nice one OP
Re: How Our Schools Do Not Actually Test Our Intelligence by OneCorner: 4:27am On Jan 26, 2018
Actually I did not read the post but I think the girl has no right to slap her boyfriend in public. Maybe they should report the issue to their village elders but if the neighbours refuse to pay the rent, they should just kill the landlord and forget about the missing car.

Re: How Our Schools Do Not Actually Test Our Intelligence by Kalatium(m): 5:38pm On Sep 02, 2023
OneCorner:
Actually I did not read the post but I think the girl has no right to slap her boyfriend in public. Maybe they should report the issue to their village elders but if the neighbours refuse to pay the rent, they should just kill the landlord and forget about the missing car.
This kind of nairaland members eh grin cheesy
Re: How Our Schools Do Not Actually Test Our Intelligence by NairalandSARS: 11:09pm On Sep 02, 2023
Hmm! But there is very strong correlation between exams and IQ (intelligence). So where did you get the idea our educational system only tests memory?
Re: How Our Schools Do Not Actually Test Our Intelligence by Kalatium(m): 2:59pm On Sep 03, 2023
NairalandSARS:
Hmm! But there is very strong correlation between exams and IQ (intelligence). So where did you get the idea our educational system only tests memory?
What are u even saying.

Are u saying the exams you have been writing all this while that u haven't failed because you forgot something?
Re: How Our Schools Do Not Actually Test Our Intelligence by Kalatium(m): 3:00pm On Sep 03, 2023
billynoni:
Nice one OP
wink
You are welcome.
Re: How Our Schools Do Not Actually Test Our Intelligence by NairalandSARS: 4:09pm On Sep 03, 2023
Kalatium:

What are u even saying.

Are u saying the exams you have been writing all this while that u haven't failed because you forgot something?

So you failed one question, so what? The human brain is error-prone. If you get 0%, and you learnt/study, then you are an otondo.

Memory, is a major component of Intelligence BTW. IQ tests have memory sections.
Re: How Our Schools Do Not Actually Test Our Intelligence by Kalatium(m): 8:19am On Sep 04, 2023
NairalandSARS:

So you failed one question, so what? The human brain is error-prone. If you get 0%, and you learnt/study, then you are an otondo.

Memory, is a major component of Intelligence BTW. IQ tests have memory sections.

This is same mentality that is been advised against in my post.

Using one yardstick to judge every human.

No wonder Albert Einstein said:

If you Judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live it's whole life believing it is dumb.
Re: How Our Schools Do Not Actually Test Our Intelligence by NairalandSARS: 9:24am On Sep 04, 2023
Kalatium:

This is same mentality that is been advised against in my post.

Using one yardstick to judge every human.

No wonder Albert Einstein said:

If you Judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live it's whole life believing it is dumb.

What yardstick is that?
Re: How Our Schools Do Not Actually Test Our Intelligence by Kalatium(m): 10:34pm On Sep 04, 2023
NairalandSARS:

What yardstick is that?
Just rest

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Professor Seeks For Help From Students After 5 Months Of Suspension / Data Yakata SME Plans Works For All Network On All Devices 08163898595 / ADMISSION! HND Conversion To B.sc.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.