Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,886 members, 7,806,559 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:17 PM

Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. (40263 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by MRAKBEE(m): 12:45am On Jan 27, 2018
Chimamanda Adichie's epic clapback to a ridiculous question

Lagos, Nigeria (CNN) - Nigerian writer Chimamanda Adichie was asked during an interview in France if there were any bookshops in her country -- and her clapback was epic.

"I think it reflects very poorly on French people that you have to ask me that question," she responded.
The audience erupted in applause as the incredulous "Americanah," author added: "I think surely... I mean it's 2018," she said in the video of the event posted by French news channel Loopsider.

Adichie was the star guest at a global ideas event hosted by the French government called "La Nuit Des Idees" (A Night of Ideas).

Midway through the chat, she was asked if her books are read in Nigeria.

"You'll be shocked to know that they are, yes... They are read and studied, not just in Nigeria but across the continent of Africa," she said.

The interviewer then followed up by asking if there were bookshops in the country. The audience gasped and the visibly embarrassed journalist tried to back up, explaining that "not much is said about Nigeria in France."

"We speak very little about Nigeria in France, certainly not enough, and when we do it's about Boko Haram and the problems of violence and security," the interviewer said. "I would like to take advantage of your presence for us to talk about other things and things that we don't know about your country."

Many Nigerians on social media mistakenly thought the interviewer was asking if there were libraries in the country because of the use of the French word "librairie," which means bookstore.

Another posted that the interviewer made a "lazy and prejudiced insinuation."

One French commentator said the line of questioning was a "cocktail of racism and mediocrity" that was typical of French journalism.

Ahead of the event, the novelist had posted a picture of her meeting first lady Brigitte Macron in Paris on the steps of the Elysee Palace, the official residence of the French president.

Adichie is an award-winning author, humanist and feminist. Her TEDxEuston speech "We Should All Be Feminists" was turned into a book and given to every 16-year-old in Sweden. Beyoncé also sampled it in her "Lemonade" album.

Adichie's novel "Americanah" was also optioned by actress Lupita Nyong'o to make it into a film.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/26/africa/chimamanda-adichie-clapback-nigeria/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMEXYM53G_g

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by noblealuu: 2:08am On Jan 27, 2018
All these whites sef...can't utilize the internet facilities at their disposal to know a thing or two about other countries..... shocked

Little wonder some of them think Africa is a country

31 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by doyinisaac(m): 2:47am On Jan 27, 2018
noblealuu:
All these whites sef...can't utilize the internet facilities at their disposal to know a thing or two about other countries..... shocked

Little wonder some of them think Africa is a continent
Did you just type the bolded??to slap you dey hungry me

273 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Nobody: 6:11am On Jan 27, 2018
The interviewer is right jare.

In 2018, most people in Nigeria spend their days riding giraffes and hunting lions. They have no concept of money, time and culture. Yesterday, when I heard an aircraft pass overhead, I thought it was the gods keeping watch over me.

All hail King Julien.

88 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Fifthwave(f): 6:22am On Jan 27, 2018
noblealuu:

I think you meant Country. Not Continent.

125 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Fifthwave(f): 6:25am On Jan 27, 2018
boostdom:

In 2018, most people in Nigeria spend their days riding giraffes and hunting lions. They have no concept of money, time and culture. Hell, yesterday, when I heard an aircraft pass overhead, I thought it was the gods keeping watch over me.

All hail King Julien.

Also, we use leaves to make clothes to clad ourselves.

26 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Nobody: 6:40am On Jan 27, 2018
Fifthwave:

You use leaves? You elitist bourgeois.

I use jute fiber, it's strong enough to pad my mandingo, so I don't walk with a hunch.

87 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Nobody: 9:33am On Jan 27, 2018
Hahahaha. The wilful ignorance of that journalist.
Lalasticlala.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Wealthii: 2:18pm On Jan 27, 2018
smiley
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jan 27, 2018
Midway through the chat, she was asked if her books are read in Nigeria.

"You'll be shocked to know that they are, yes... They are read and studied, not just in Nigeria but across the continent of Africa," she said.

The interviewer then followed up by asking if there were bookshops in the country. The audience gasped and the visibly embarrassed journalist tried to back up, explaining that "not much is said about Nigeria in France."

Thumbs up to the Pretty Lady.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Lorechino(m): 2:19pm On Jan 27, 2018
...And this woman now following vote in BUhaRI abi? every spirit of foolishness die by fire in 2019 amen

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by XingXhang(m): 2:20pm On Jan 27, 2018
Nigeria has bookshops but very few readers.

Keep three books by Anthony Robbins or Zig Ziglar out in the open. No one will dare touch them. But misplace your #5 and you won't see it 5 mins later.

You'll see a book seller looking all dirty; I'll be like, How can a man be selling knowledge and still be ignorant?

Btw, I received joined a WhatsApp group where e-books by almost all the good authors (Christian and motivational) are being sent for easy download and reading. I intend opening mine, if interested to join my READING CLUB on WhatsApp...Send me your number. Thank you.

Leaders are Readers. Consistent readers are Great Leaders. Build a future that will last by investing in books today. FREE BOOKS.

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by seguno2: 2:22pm On Jan 27, 2018
noblealuu:

Is Africa not a continent from where almost everyone is trying to run away

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by EmmaLege: 2:22pm On Jan 27, 2018
grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by DaddyKross: 2:22pm On Jan 27, 2018
noblealuu:

No mind them, them no know say Africa na State cool

13 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Bossontop(m): 2:22pm On Jan 27, 2018
noblealuu:

cheesy
Niccur wha?? At d emboldened

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by DeutschJunge: 2:22pm On Jan 27, 2018
Very annoying set of human beings, the ignorance is just disgusting.
Initially i use to try to educate them but with time i just let them wallow in their ignorance, useless things..
imagine telling them i am schooling and they will be looking at you like "wow!!" like a black man in university, like say na something astonishing!
or you tell them you from africa and the only thing they can imagine is you playing with wild animals..
forget white skin, they are very ignorant!

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by biggy26: 2:23pm On Jan 27, 2018
It's questions like this that made people like us create this site www.poontoe.com for people like them. And lots of people from other European countries and Asia are loving it. You can join in putting content.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by gmoney12: 2:23pm On Jan 27, 2018
undecided undecided
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by farano(f): 2:24pm On Jan 27, 2018
She even finished the journalist with a smile kiss . So dignified in her response.. An epitome of beauty and brain..

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jan 27, 2018
cool
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by seguno2: 2:24pm On Jan 27, 2018
boostdom:

In 2018, most people in Nigeria spend their days riding giraffes and hunting lions. They have no concept of money, time and culture. Yesterday, when I heard an aircraft pass overhead, I thought it was the gods keeping watch over me.

All hail King Julien.

When was the last time you got a book from the library?
A book that is not about personal development but about societal development?

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Cletus77(m): 2:25pm On Jan 27, 2018
Did she defend Nigeria? Somebody should explain that crap up dere for me!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by LMAyedun(m): 2:25pm On Jan 27, 2018
[quote author=noblealuu post=64545470]All these whites sef...can't utilize the internet facilities at their disposal to know a thing or two about other countries..... shocked

Little[b]wonder some of them think Africa is a continen[/b] Are you okay sir?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Doctormarrvin: 2:25pm On Jan 27, 2018
This is a feminist! Not these razz Nigerian girls who parade the title online and on social medias. If you're not accomplished in any area of your life then please! Don't call yourself a feminist cos whatever you say will mostly be interpreted as the words of a non entity

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by jeronimo(m): 2:26pm On Jan 27, 2018
cool
Fifthwave:

cool

You guys must be from the elite part of the jungle. We run around butt naked here. I have to change tree today though, tired of forcing myself in between bamboo I need an iroko.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jan 27, 2018
noblealuu:

funny, I always thought it was a continent myself. Lol correct your comment sir

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by georjay(m): 2:26pm On Jan 27, 2018
heeyah

so after all said and done
should we fry egg with palm oil or what

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Lordspicy(m): 2:26pm On Jan 27, 2018
book stores ke?
over here we cover our privates with smoked raffia, live in huts and and hunt lions for their fur....

useless white racist

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by itchie: 2:26pm On Jan 27, 2018
Smart woman

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Nostradamu(m): 2:26pm On Jan 27, 2018
Chimamanda bi like: grin grin

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 / Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. / Faridah Abike-Iyimide Secures MacMillan Million-Dollar Book Deal In USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.