Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,033 members, 7,803,473 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:24 PM

4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know (16669 Views)

5 Things Every Job Seeker Should Know Before Starting Their Job Search / Six(6) Things Every Job-seeker Should Be Doing On Linkedin! / Ordeals Of A Nigerian Job Seeker In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by PatrickOkunima(m): 5:59am On Jan 27, 2018
Hi all, it's your HR guy, and I am about to give you insider tips on the shocking facts about exaggerating on your CV. I would also remind you that I have interviewed thousands of candidates, so I speak from experience.

In a bid to land lucrative job roles, job seekers perform a whole lot of wonders on their resumes. In a bid to get lucrative job roles, most of them tend to exaggerate. But should you really risk telling a lie on your CV?

While it may seem just harmless making a “little adjustments” to your resume accomplishments, it can have lots of consequences on you, but what are the facts you don’t know about exaggerating on your CV?

See some of the facts about lying on CV below:

It is your shortest cut to getting yourself an interview

Most times when we advertise a vacancy for a job position, I always pray within me to see the right set of candidates without stress. In the pool of unqualified candidates, you see someone who’s CV is like a gold hidden among stones. Most times I leap for joy at such moment. I know he might be exaggerating, but how would I know?

“Only via an interview” – one thing most candidates always pray for.

Whatever happens during or after the interview is now a question of his ability to show what he can offer. But one thing has happened; the candidate has gotten a chance for an interview.

Expectations during interviews are heightened

I wouldn’t be so happy to come across your resume and don’t expect much from you. I once advertised the position of an IT Support officer. I saw the resume of a guy who claimed he had all the certifications present in the world. I was surprised when the technical team asked him some practical questions, he went on rambling.

I was ashamed, not for him but for myself that called him for an interview. I will still tell you how to create a CV that wouldn’t get you into this kind of position.

Gives you room to negotiate a higher salary

You should know that most firms can go a little bit above their salary scale just to attract a “bright” talent. It would be so unwise just to neglect someone who has lots of accomplishments on his resume because of a salary difference of 10k.

As long as your accomplishments are mind-blowing – whether true or false, you stand a chance to claim a high salary package.

But you should know that salary discussion comes only after you have been tested on all fronts, and have been certified qualified. I don’t know how you are going to do it, but trust me that great accomplishments attract great salary remunerations.

Job expectations heighten

A guy passed all the stages of our interview during a certain recruitment season, and we even went above our salary scale to hire him. We were so confident that we’ve found the right guy to replace another expert that left us and moved to a competitor.

I guess it was because we didn’t have qualified hands to access the guy when he was being interviewed. He excelled and answered some general questions we threw at him. He wowed the junior staff in the same department, and everyone liked him already at the interview hall. I felt so proud fishing out such talent, to the extent I got some recommendations from the MD on my ability to hunt talents.

It was exactly two months after he was hired that he was fired. He made a mess of his unit; he couldn’t perform basic functions that a network Engineer should do, junior colleagues complained about him not being able to do his job. I was shocked as to what happened.

I later got to discover that he was quite able to perform those basic functions, but it was too basic to earn such an amount in salaries. Much was given to him, and much more was expected. Unfortunately, he was gone already.

I understand that I only gave negative examples of those who failed after exaggerating on their resumes. I would also want you to understand that there are those who have succeeded in such exaggeration and have learnt even on the job.

I would leave you with these 3 key points.

1. Exaggerate reasonably

2. Write things you have basic knowledge of and can defend

3. Don’t get intimidated when questions start coming left, right, and center during interviews. Human Resource managers also work based on

perception. “He might be tensed” might be the phrase that would save you and get you a job.

Till we meet again, happy job hunting to all job seekers and God would give you all your desired jobs.

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/2018/01/27/4-shocking-facts-about-lying-on-your-cv-every-job-seeker-should-know/

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by maxwell767(m): 6:39am On Jan 27, 2018
PatrickOkunima:
Hi all, it's your HR guy, and I am about to give you insider tips on the shocking facts about exaggerating on your CV. I would also remind you that I have interviewed thousands of candidates, so I speak from experience.

In a bid to land lucrative job roles, job seekers perform a whole lot of wonders on their resumes. In a bid to get lucrative job roles, most of them tend to exaggerate. But should you really risk telling a lie on your CV?

While it may seem just harmless making a “little adjustments” to your resume accomplishments, it can have lots of consequences on you, but what are the facts you don’t know about exaggerating on your CV?

Most times when we advertise a vacancy for a job position, I always pray within me to see the right set of candidates without stress. In the pool of unqualified candidates, you see someone who’s CV is like a gold hidden among stones. Most times I leap for joy at such moment. I know he might be exaggerating, but how would I know?

Whatever happens during or after the interview is now a question of his ability to show what he can offer. But one thing has happened; the candidate has gotten a chance for an interview.

I wouldn’t be so happy to come across your resume and don’t expect much from you. I once advertised the position of an IT Support officer. I saw the resume of a guy who claimed he had all the certifications present in the world. I was surprised when the technical team asked him some practical questions, he went on rambling.

I was ashamed, not for him but for myself that called him for an interview. I will still tell you how to create a CV that wouldn’t get you into this kind of position.

You should know that most firms can go a little bit above their salary scale just to attract a “bright” talent. It would be so unwise just to neglect someone who has lots of accomplishments on his resume because of a salary difference of 10k.

As long as your accomplishments are mind-blowing – whether true or false, you stand a chance to claim a high salary package.

But you should know that salary discussion comes only after you have been tested on all fronts, and have been certified qualified. I don’t know how you are going to do it, but trust me that great accomplishments attract great salary remunerations.

A guy passed all the stages of our interview during a certain recruitment season, and we even went above our salary scale to hire him. We were so confident that we’ve found the right guy to replace another expert that left us and moved to a competitor.

I guess it was because we didn’t have qualified hands to access the guy when he was being interviewed. He excelled and answered some general questions we threw at him. He wowed the junior staff in the same department, and everyone liked him already at the interview hall. I felt so proud fishing out such talent, to the extent I got some recommendations from the MD on my ability to hunt talents.

It was exactly two months after he was hired that he was fired. He made a mess of his unit; he couldn’t perform basic functions that a network Engineer should do, junior colleagues complained about him not being able to do his job. I was shocked as to what happened.

I later got to discover that he was quite able to perform those basic functions, but it was too basic to earn such an amount in salaries. Much was given to him, and much more was expected. Unfortunately, he was gone already.

I understand that I only gave negative examples of those who failed after exaggerating on their resumes. I would also want you to understand that there are those who have succeeded in such exaggeration and have learnt even on the job.

1. Exaggerate reasonably

3. Don’t get intimidated when questions start coming left, right, and center during interviews. Human Resource managers also work based on

perception. “He might be tensed” might be the phrase that would save you and get you a job.

Till we meet again, happy job hunting to all job seekers and God would give you all your desired jobs.

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/2018/01/27/4-shocking-facts-about-lying-on-your-cv-every-job-seeker-should-know/

Thank you

Modified: My FTC 2018 grin
Visit here for jobs/vacancies: https://informationmaxblog..com.ng/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by Flexherbal(m): 7:26am On Jan 27, 2018
Taken !

1 Like

Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by Marcelinho(m): 7:27am On Jan 27, 2018
Only if there is a way to lie reasonably, cos to lie is lie!

Meanwhile, God will help us all, just do your part.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by Nobody: 7:28am On Jan 27, 2018
Lie reasonably. Plus know how to defend that lie.

Don't go looking like zobo when asked some questions relating to your lie.
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by MachoKid(m): 7:32am On Jan 27, 2018
10-4
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by fasho01(m): 7:34am On Jan 27, 2018
Noted!

Try this if only you have connect within cos if it goes South, oyo is ur case
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by Chiefly(m): 7:35am On Jan 27, 2018
Hmmm.. Interesting
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by dingbang(m): 7:36am On Jan 27, 2018
Don't worry I will interview you op...
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by Tospark(m): 7:38am On Jan 27, 2018
THANKS
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by bakynes(m): 7:43am On Jan 27, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Lie reasonably. Plus know how to defend that lie.

Don't go looking like zobo when asked some questions relating to your lie.

You have said it all, lie if you are only able to defend it. But can really back fire on the candidate, if he/she is seeking for employment with a Multi-national company because most of them do background checks and verify the information you provided from your previous employers.
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by Ball22: 7:47am On Jan 27, 2018
PatrickOkunima:

1. Exaggerate reasonably

sir please can you help me with a sample of a good written resume, I'm still in the university and wish to learn how to write it upon graduation, your urgent response will be appreciated, my email:henryigwe17@gmail.com
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by Nobody: 7:47am On Jan 27, 2018
l am my own boss... l answer to no one, friggin' interviews... in the end they pay peanuts. l am better of disposing 40 ft container shipments quarterly... l 've never met a stinkingly rich man working wasting his talent as an employee

2 Likes

Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by hoover420: 7:48am On Jan 27, 2018
Am I the only one that think the topic is misleading?!

2 Likes

Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by Deo1986(m): 7:52am On Jan 27, 2018
Yawns!! Never been interviewed. Oil firm comes into my community, needs ten workers gave my name was called, trained and jack! Found myself in angola working as a roustabout with a salary scale of 150k tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by Deo1986(m): 7:54am On Jan 27, 2018
hoover420:
Am I the only one that think the topic is misleading?!
You are not alone dude, OP is still in the stone age if he thinks good job still interviews.
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by samzzycash(m): 8:01am On Jan 27, 2018
Above all
Contact alhaji lie Mohammed for mentorship
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by Follygunners: 8:01am On Jan 27, 2018
Lie? Nah. It's called 'effective strategizing'. Utilizing key / catch phrases; corporate and business terminologies or whatever field you're specialized in your resume/CV. Focus on achievements rather than mere job responsibilities. For e.g an Accounting / Finance candidate...

Ordinarily written resume:
"Responsible for month-end variances analysis by effectively comparing Actuals against the forecast and budget-plans."

Well, this could also be strategically/corporately re-written reflecting your achievements and utilizing basic financial/accounting terminology as:..

Professionally written resume:
Effectively optimized resources thereby reducing source cost by >10% for the month-end expense analysis (Actuals, Forecast/Budget & Variance Analysis).
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by seunny4lif(m): 8:03am On Jan 27, 2018
Na waoh
CV matter again

People see dey write CV for Nigeria?
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by uckennety(m): 8:08am On Jan 27, 2018
PatrickOkunima:

1. Exaggerate reasonably

Goodmorning sir

Can you please review my cv i humbly beg you
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by donem: 8:11am On Jan 27, 2018
All this for just employment, mehn! job oppurtunity done tire rapper. God help the unemployed.
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by marooh: 8:17am On Jan 27, 2018
Nigeria Cvs
U must get LL (long leg) grin
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by 1clickng(f): 8:18am On Jan 27, 2018
In This country is not all about jobs again, yesterday my friend got a message from his uncle that he should start work on Monday, a work he didn't apply for, so lying or not lying is not the matter, the main matter is do u have the connection to get you there

10 Sure Games You Can Predict Correctly THis weekend
http://anstalk.com/updated-predictions-10-sure-games/

1 Like

Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by condomuser: 8:21am On Jan 27, 2018
If you can defend it then why not, a friend of mine lied on his cv, 99% of his cv is filled with lies but he can defend it up to 60%.
The only truth on his cv is his name and his phone number

Guess what he was hired by a multi-national and he gets paid N550k/month and in less than a year he will be promoted to earn N940K/year.

Sometimes you have to.

PatrickOkunima:

1. Exaggerate reasonably

Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by jeeqaa7(m): 8:35am On Jan 27, 2018
Wetin man go do
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by chyna4luv: 8:49am On Jan 27, 2018
PatrickOkunima:

1. Exaggerate reasonably

Why must one lie or exaggerate on their CVs to get a job? I will not advise any job applicant to lie because, it may deprive the candidate other opportunities if caught. How? If it is a firm or organization that is mindful of their reputation and core values, they may go extra mile dragging the culprit to court to pay for reputational damages, may affect the school graduated from, even publicize the name on tabloids.

I am not an HR practitioner though, if I have a company that took me years to build and because of one candidate's lie, then the reputation and trust my customers had for my brand now broke, then, I shall take a legal action on that.

Let's have a second thought before we lie to get a job.

Regards,

Chyna.
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by Nobody: 8:54am On Jan 27, 2018
[quote author=PatrickOkunima post=64546587] hi Patrick, is it ok to include previous appraisal scores in your CV?
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by amunites19(m): 9:16am On Jan 27, 2018
Is better for HRs to adopt written test when testing a candidate about technical knowledge because the HRs mostly don't have the technical knowledge so they wouldn't known if the technical team are not manipulating the process; weither they are asking relevant questions or weither the candidate is giving right answers.
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by mvem(m): 9:26am On Jan 27, 2018
Marcelinho:
Only if there is a way to lie reasonably, cos to lie is lie!

Meanwhile, God will help us all, just do your part.
...is more of a strategic move or use of diplomacy....Someone wants you to go out with him/her and merely saying I don't want is not the nice words to use....saying I hv a stomach ache or sick might be a lie to you but is just you using ur senses
Re: 4 Shocking Facts About Lying On Your CV Every Job Seeker Should Know by sylvez(m): 9:35am On Jan 27, 2018
i read this thing 3 times before I got what you are saying!!!!
technical, technical just full everywhere

na wa o !!!

E no go better for Buhari !!!

amunites19:
Is better for HRs to adopt written test when testing a candidate about technical knowledge because the HRs mostly don't have the technical knowledge so they wouldn't known if the technical team are not manipulating the process; weither they are asking relevant questions or weither the candidate is giving right answers.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal Character Commission Was Like A Market For Selling Job Slots – Chair / Aso Villa Demo Day 2016: Pictures / What Kind Of Job Do You Do And What's The Hardest Part of Your Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.