Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,891 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:06 AM

Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin (696 Views)

If Jesus Had Not Resurrected? / When Jubril Came To Mary, Was He A Man Or An Angel? / The Sabbath: A Perpetual Covenant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by lonikit: 8:15am On Jan 28, 2018
All major branches of Christianity agree that Mary was a virgin until Jesus was born. But the question of whether she continued as a virgin is not agreed on. Catholic theology teaches that Mary continued in “perpetual virginity” after the birth of Jesus, while Protestants believe she had normal marital relations with her husband, and gave birth to several more children.
Mark 6:3, says, “Isn’t this the carpenter? Isn't this Mary's son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren't his sisters here with us?” Matthew 13:55-56 says the same thing. Protestants interpret this to mean that after Jesus’ birth Joseph and Mary produced several children in the normal way. Catholics disagree. Some argue these were children of Joseph by a former wife (of which Scripture is silent). Most focus on the Greek word adelphoi, translated “brothers.” They interpret this to refer to relatives other than immediate family, usually “cousins.” They correctly point out that the word adelphoi is sometimes used for close relatives other than brothers and at times for fellow countrymen. But in this passage Jesus is called “the carpenter” (a very specific reference), as well as “Mary’s son” (a close family reference), and then the adelphoi are listed by name (again suggesting immediate family), and “sisters” (adelphai) are mentioned as a group. Because the context uses such specific and close terms for Jesus and Mary, it is likely that the adelphoi are best understood as “brothers” and the adelphai as “sisters.”
A relevant incident is found in Matthew 12:46-47, Mark 3:31-32 and Luke 8:19-20. Jesus was busy with ministry, surrounded by a crowd so large that when “Jesus’ mother and brothers came to see him” they couldn’t get near him. Jesus was told, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to see you.” We again admit that adelphoi can refer to relatives besides direct siblings, but the use of “mother” along with “brothers” suggests these were immediate family members. Some argue Jesus’ response, that those who do God’s will are his “mother and brothers,” indicates those outside were not his real mother and brothers. That is not what Jesus meant, however. He was contrasting his genuine blood relatives with his metaphorical relatives. Jesus always did the will of his Father, and those who do the same are akin to him.
One last notable point concerning the word “brothers” (adelphoi): If the authors of Scripture intended to mean “cousins” rather than “brothers,” there is a Greek word that would have more precisely said that. It is the word anepsios, used in Colossians 4:10, where we read that Mark “was the cousin of Barnabas.”
Psalm 69 is a Messianic psalm, quoted several times in the New Testament with reference to Jesus (John 15:25 quotes verse 4; Romans 15:3 quotes vs. 9; Matthew 27:34 quotes vs. 21; Acts 1:8 quotes vs. 25). But the verse that is relevant to our question is Psalm 69:8, which reads, “I am a stranger to my brothers, an alien to my own mother's sons.” It describes how Jesus’ brothers would reject him, which at first they did. These “brothers” were not his cousins, for they were his “own mother’s sons.”
There are other indications that Joseph and Mary had sexual relations after Jesus was born. Luke 2:7 says, “...she gave birth to her firstborn, a son...” Why call Jesus “firstborn” unless others were born? Jesus is called God’s “only born” (Greek monogenes), so why not call him Mary’s “only born?” I suggest it is because he wasn’t her only born.
Matthew 1:24-25 tells us, “When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son…” The sentence would be complete without the phrase “until she gave birth to a son.” Why include it? Because apparently Joseph had union with Mary after she delivered Jesus. The natural result of this would be other children, half-siblings of Jesus.
Re: Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by thorpido(m): 8:26am On Jan 28, 2018
Of course she had other children from the biblical reference above.She had a normal wife/husband relationship with Joseph.
Even if she didn't,she couldn't remain a virgin after giving birth to Jesus.Abi na C/S dem do for am?
Re: Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by lonikit: 8:33am On Jan 28, 2018
thorpido:
Of course she had other children from the biblical reference above.She had a normal wife/husband relationship with Joseph.
Even if she didn't,she couldn't remain a virgin after giving birth to Jesus.Abi na C/S dem do for am?

lolzzz
Re: Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by Olachase(m): 8:43am On Jan 28, 2018
yes and I'm also one of jesus brother.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by lonikit: 9:00am On Jan 28, 2018
some persons don't believe she had other children
Re: Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by Filmewell(f): 9:01am On Jan 28, 2018
OK. Next argument you just won
Re: Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by lonikit: 9:29am On Jan 28, 2018
Filmewell:
OK. Next argument you just won
lolzzz. all is well.
Re: Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by lonikit: 9:41am On Jan 28, 2018
Re: Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by lonikit: 9:51am On Jan 28, 2018
Re: Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by authehighness: 10:42am On Jan 28, 2018
i have a question,in john 19v26-27when jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing near,he said to his mother,woman behold your son,then he said to the disciple ,behold your mother and from that hour the disciple took her to his own house and i ask why did Jesus hand mary to John when he knew he has siblings,ezekiel 44v2this gate shall remain shut,it shall not be opened and no one shall enter by it,for the lord,the God of isreal has entered by it,God cannot allow the womb and blood that form and give birth to Jesus to produce another being,because the blood is too precious,mary virginity is pure truth,catholic church teaches with written word,that is the scripture and oral language,taught by the apostle without being written,2 thessalonical 2v15 so then brethren,stand firm and hold to the traditions,which you were taught by us,either by word of mouth or by letter

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by lonikit: 11:11am On Jan 28, 2018
authehighness:
i have a question,in john 19v26-27when jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing near,he said to his mother,woman behold your son,then he said to the disciple ,behold your mother and from that hour the disciple took her to his own house and i ask why did Jesus hand mary to John when he knew he has siblings,ezekiel 44v2this gate shall remain shut,it shall not be opened and no one shall enter by it,for the lord,the God of isreal has entered by it,God cannot allow the womb and blood that form and give birth to Jesus to produce another being,because the blood is too precious,mary virginity is pure truth,catholic church teaches with written word,that is the scripture and oral language,taught by the apostle without being written,2 thessalonical 2v15 so then brethren,stand firm and hold to the traditions,which you were taught by us,either by word of mouth or by letter
where u quoted in John is very possible even in the present world. there are pole dat are closer to us more than our siblings.
pls, did Mary divorce Joseph after he gave birth to Jesus? and pls how u explain this
Matthew 1:24-25 tells us, “When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son…”
Re: Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by authehighness: 1:40pm On Jan 28, 2018
lonikit:

where u quoted in John is very possible even in the present world. there are pole dat are closer to us more than our siblings.
pls, did Mary divorce Joseph after he gave birth to Jesus? and pls how u explain this
Matthew 1:24-25 tells us, “When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son…”
gospel focused so much on Jesus and his ministry,there are books that give account of mary life and testimony,starting from her encouragement to the apostles while in the upper room,the role she played in the early church and her marriage to joseph,a pious and a religious,who understand God's plan for mary without argument took her as his wife,as i said early catholic is an ancient church with many collection of books,even the bible,they help to put together,gospel is all about christ no need of including mary's account,thanks,being overshadowed as archangel gabriel said in luke1v 48,said for he has regarded the low estate of his handmaiden,for behold henceforth all generation shall call me blessed,it is a prophesy that must fulfilled even if catholic church don't honour and called her blessed,God will raise another that will fulfil this prophecy
Re: Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by lonikit: 1:53pm On Jan 28, 2018
authehighness:
gospel focused so much on Jesus and his ministry,there are books that give account of mary life and testimony,starting from her encouragement to the apostles while in the upper room,the role she played in the early church and her marriage to joseph,a pious and a religious,who understand God's plan for mary without argument took her as his wife,as i said early catholic is an ancient church with many collection of books,even the bible,they help to put together,gospel is all about christ no need of including mary's account,thanks,being overshadowed as archangel gabriel said in luke1v 48,said for he has regarded the low estate of his handmaiden,for behold henceforth all generation shall call me blessed,it is a prophesy that must fulfilled even if catholic church don't honour and called her blessed,God will raise another that will fulfil this prophecy
alryt sir, no need to argue unnecessarily. u are entitled to ur belief. but if bible says Joseph took her to be his wife and that he had no marital union with her until she gav birth to her first born, then, its obvious she was nt a perpetual virgin.
Re: Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by davesd: 1:59pm On Jan 28, 2018
pls I need Christian books (PDF) for my spiritual growth. If you have any, you can send through this email: saawuandavid@gmail.com. thanks for your concern in advance.
Re: Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by JusticeSeeker: 4:39pm On Jan 28, 2018
Roman Catholics assert this so as to justify their idolatrous deitification of Mary as the mother of God and make her the fourth person in the unity of the godhead
Re: Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by lonikit: 5:06pm On Jan 28, 2018
JusticeSeeker:
Roman Catholics say assert this so as to justify their idolatrous deitification of Mary as the mother of God and make her the fourth person in the unity of the godhead

there are lot of references in the bible that she was never a perpetual virgin
Re: Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by authehighness: 8:16pm On Jan 28, 2018
JusticeSeeker:
Roman Catholics assert this so as to justify their idolatrous deitification of Mary as the mother of God and make her the fourth person in the unity of the godhead
idolatory is anything that takes place of God in your life,even your phone can be your idol,moreover,mary has never taken place of God in our church,how many times do we mention mary in our mass,God gave law through moses and the jew celebrate and honour moses till today,God gave us christ through mary and celebrating and honouring her has become idolatory,even some country celebrate and honour their heroes,erecting statues in their honour,you hate mary,because catholic chose to honour her,forgeting she is the mother of christ,our God and saviour,first daughter of God the father,mother of God the son and spouse of God the holyspirit,salvation brought grace and she is full of grace before christ death,ask yourself why is it so,she deserve my honour,i have never worship her because i know what worship is all about,even you that claim to worship God,if God open your eyes in the spirit,you might be ashame,of what you called,worship of God

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Jesus Had Siblings, Mary Was Not A Perpetual Virgin by lonikit: 8:49pm On Jan 28, 2018
authehighness:
idolatory is anything that takes place of God in your life,even your phone can be your idol,moreover,mary has never taken place of God in our church,how many times do we mention mary in our mass,God gave law through moses and the jew celebrate and honour moses till today,God gave us christ through mary and celebrating and honouring her has become idolatory,even some country celebrate and honour their heroes,erecting statues in their honour,you hate mary,because catholic chose to honour her,forgeting she is the mother of christ,our God and saviour,first daughter of God the father,mother of God the son and spouse of God the holyspirit,salvation brought grace and she is full of grace before christ death,ask yourself why is it so,she deserve my honour,i have never worship her because i know what worship is all about,even you that claim to worship God,if God open your eyes in the spirit,you might be ashame,of what you called,worship of God

u are right

(1) (Reply)

A Church In Tanzania Where Pastor Must Not Touch Ground Till He's Done With Serm / BREAKING: SWEDEN To BAN Muslim Schools After Huge Calls To Resist Islamization! / “Anyone Who Is Not Paying His Tithe Is Not Going To Heaven” Adeboye (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.