Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,865 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:06 AM

Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? (12296 Views)

Anglican Church Refuses Man Holy Communion Because Of His Beard. Photo / I Was Prevented From Receiving Holy Communion In Anglican Church Over Card / Church Forbids Wife From Sleeping With Hubby Over Holy Communion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jan 28, 2018
ireneidiva:

Na wa for you o. Something that Christ asked us to do in the Bible is a Catholic/Anglican thing? The way you guys reason sha. Other churches have been doing it since. It not a catholic thing.
Please do share, since when? Don't sound too general, at least try to use actual facts like "other churches have been doing it for the past 30-40 years" which I doubt
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by pek(m): 6:12pm On Jan 28, 2018
IecheM:
Hello fellow nairalanders, so after church service today we had holy communion and they were some leftovers. Please I would like to know if it's right to dispose the leftovers or share the rest among ourselves.

Over to the pastor's in the house.

pastors
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by labelle123(f): 6:18pm On Jan 28, 2018
Templa:
Lol come to the catholic church for tutorials
yes ooooo
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jan 28, 2018
ireneidiva:

It is not only the catholic church that uses leaven bread.

Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by ireneidiva(f): 6:23pm On Jan 28, 2018
Vanillaskin:

Please do share, since when? Don't sound too general, at least try to use actual facts like "other churches have been doing it for the past 30-40 years" which I doubt
Since their creation. You know there are different pentecostal churches. Some have not stayed for up to 40 years. So you can't use that standard.
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by ireneidiva(f): 6:23pm On Jan 28, 2018
faceURfront:

I have corrected it already.
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by LogicStatement: 6:24pm On Jan 28, 2018
Op, it depends on what you refer to as holy communion in your church. If it is ribina or coke and biscuit then, you store the remnants the way you store such food, after all, your communion is a blessed food just like we bless our everyday food we eat. But if it is Holy Eucharist which comes to be through the transubstantiation of the bread and wine by the actions of the priest who is the representative of Jesus Christ, then, the left over (even crumps) is the same in substance as the ones taken and IT IS the whole of Jesus Christ Himself. Note that the Holy Eucharist or communion IS Jesus Christ Himself and therefore, if remaining after distribution to only those worthy to receive Him, the leftover are either consumed by the priest if there is no storage facility in the parish or it is kept in the ciborium and stored in the tabernacle for use at the next Holy Mass.
Churches should please avoid practising things they do not understand. Things like the Holy Eucharist has deeper spiritual meaning which should not be joked with. *imagine, a Christian asking if the Holy Communion should be disposed?! Common, How does one dispose Jesus? Hmmm...look at what protestant churches have done to the body of Christ!

7 Likes

Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by micflo28(m): 6:26pm On Jan 28, 2018
For us catholics, the most important time of the mass is the period of trans-substanciation. When prayers of it are said by the priest and it turns by faith body and blood of Jesus. What most priests do is gather every left overseas at the pallette and charlice used in distributing it into one charlice pours the wine and drink and excess kept in the tabernacle. Reason is the priest at the holy mass represents peter, the rock the church was built and he is a host and authority to keeping the sanctity of the Eucharist and also a bridge to bring faithfuls to Jesus.

1 Like

Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jan 28, 2018
ireneidiva:

Since their creation. You know there are different pentecostal churches. Some have not stayed for up to 40 years. So you can't use that standard.
I'm glad you know some have stayed that long but also know that holy communion has been done in the Catholic church for centuries and can trace its initial stages and origins back to 1551, not years.
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by paix(m): 7:25pm On Jan 28, 2018
veave:
Smiles...

I remember those days we started taking the communion newly. I didn't even really know what it meant even after attending confirmation classes. All I wanted to do is have a feel of that sweet taste of wine. Hehe.

Well, thank God for salvation, a deeper understanding of the word and personal relationship with the Holy Spirit.

cry
Raise your hands if you understand what I'm saying. grin grin grin
Then answer the question!
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jan 28, 2018
IecheM:
Hello fellow nairalanders, so after church service today we had holy communion and they were some leftovers. Please I would like to know if it's right to dispose the leftovers or share the rest among ourselves.

Drinking the body n blood of anything is a ritual.
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jan 28, 2018
veave:
Smiles...

I remember those days we started taking the communion newly. I didn't even really know what it meant even after attending confirmation classes. All I wanted to do is have a feel of that sweet taste of wine. Hehe.

Well, thank God for salvation, a deeper understanding of the word and personal relationship with the Holy Spirit.

Raise your hands if you understand what I'm saying. grin grin grin
Every human being has a personal relationship with the holy spirit grin.
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by miraclea: 7:49pm On Jan 28, 2018
[quote author=IecheM post=64579031]Hello fellow nairalanders, so after church service today we had holy communion and they were some leftovers. Please I would like to know if it's right to dispose the leftovers or share the rest among ourselves.

Holy communion as Jesus commandments is done wrongfully now in our churches holy communion was a food eaten to the full just like a normal food we can take example from its origin but now our churches are stingy with the food may God help his church
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by rossyc(f): 8:01pm On Jan 28, 2018
Fifthwave:

Are the two fishes and five loaves of bread the communion Jesus instituted? How can you make such allusions?

You should have made reference to the last supper when Jesus broke bread with his disciples. .
Well, in the catholic church, leftovers are stored in the tabernacle. And if there's no tabernacle, the priest ensures that there's no leftovers either by eaten all of it, or sharing large amounts to the recipients of the Eucharist.
Also in parishes without a tabernacle, communion cards is been issued to ensure their is no leftover.

1 Like

Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by Topweez(m): 8:21pm On Jan 28, 2018
Emily22:
Shebi na prawn crackers and velleta wine....we go chop everything ni
no na cream cracker and carlo rosy

1 Like

Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by vicfy(m): 9:37pm On Jan 28, 2018
Divay22:
In my church we share it o grin grin grin
Na Agege bread?
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by Divay22(f): 9:40pm On Jan 28, 2018
vicfy:
Na Agege bread?
Lol
Nah.. But it's too sweet to ignore grin
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by HeyCorleone(m): 9:46pm On Jan 28, 2018
Keneking:
Line the altar boys and let them feast..if the Catholic church is not a Parish.

The home of communion is the Blessed Tabernacle. grin

Lol. I remember those days.

The priest would pack like 10 each in our mouths.

1 Like

Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by vicfy(m): 9:46pm On Jan 28, 2018
Divay22:

Lol
Nah.. But it's too sweet to ignore grin
I fear naa
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by Handsomecole(m): 10:08pm On Jan 28, 2018
This question is what makes the Catholic church outstanding till date. Pentecostals no nothing about the holy communion they take . I remember one time I attended one they shared biscuits and zobo saying it has been converted to holy communion .

Pentecostals still don't undestand that the Holy communion is the Body and blood of Jesus Christ himself so it is actually Jesus Christ, how can you dispose the body and blood of Christ? ??
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by Fifthwave(f): 10:39pm On Jan 28, 2018
rossyc:

Also in parishes without a tabernacle, communion cards is been issued to ensure their is no leftover.

Exactly.

1 Like

Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by Trexnemesis(m): 10:57pm On Jan 28, 2018
ProfEinstein:
In the Catholic church it is kept in the tabernacle and never to be tampered with except by the priest.

Meaning, priests shack the wine in the tabernacle bah?
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by Trexnemesis(m): 11:02pm On Jan 28, 2018
In our Church, we serve more wine to the congregation till it finishes. Ministers too are free to take more at same time that the people are being served the extra .
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by ofexpryz(m): 12:25am On Jan 29, 2018
Don't ever dispose off the holy communion please.
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by Biggaboi(m): 12:38am On Jan 29, 2018
Pavore9:
For the Catholic Church, it goes back to the Tabernacle.
That's right. There's no such thing as leftovers!
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jan 29, 2018
Bossontop:

I guess in ur church d pastor doesn't pray for everybody(including d children) b4 d communion abii??

Oga, the Eucharist isn't meant for kids. It's meant for discerning believers who are in a state of grace.
Kindly read up 1 Cor. 11:23-30.

I don't know how you Protestants see the Eucharist but for us Catholics, it is the body and blood, soul and divinity of our Lord. The real presence.
Not for kids, brother.
Not for kids.
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jan 29, 2018
Read that!

Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by spongeisback: 4:08am On Jan 30, 2018
phemmyfour:
You are the one without understanding of the Bible. Communion is sacred, eating it is sacred as well and comparing it to "feeding of five thousands" shows your level of understanding
TLisieux:
For us Catholics, holy communion or the holy eucharist is Jesus Christ himself after the priest says the eucharistic prayer (transubstantiation). So it is sacrilegious to treat it as mere bread or leftover food to be thrown away. It is kept in the ciborium and placed inside the tabernacle. The holy eucharist is the centre and source of our faith.
Templa:
Lol come to the catholic church for tutorials
ProfEinstein:
In the Catholic church it is kept in the tabernacle and never to be tampered with except by the priest.
Pavore9:
For the Catholic Church, it goes back to the Tabernacle.
LogicStatement:
Op, it depends on what you refer to as holy communion in your church. If it is ribina or coke and biscuit then, you store the remnants the way you store such food, after all, your communion is a blessed food just like we bless our everyday food we eat. But if it is Holy Eucharist which comes to be through the transubstantiation of the bread and wine by the actions of the priest who is the representative of Jesus Christ, then, the left over (even crumps) is the same in substance as the ones taken and IT IS the whole of Jesus Christ Himself. Note that the Holy Eucharist or communion IS Jesus Christ Himself and therefore, if remaining after distribution to only those worthy to receive Him, the leftover are either consumed by the priest if there is no storage facility in the parish or it is kept in the ciborium and stored in the tabernacle for use at the next Holy Mass.
Churches should please avoid practising things they do not understand. Things like the Holy Eucharist has deeper spiritual meaning which should not be joked with. *imagine, a Christian asking if the Holy Communion should be disposed?! Common, How does one dispose Jesus? Hmmm...look at what protestant churches have done to the body of Christ!
micflo28:
For us catholics, the most important time of the mass is the period of trans-substanciation. When prayers of it are said by the priest and it turns by faith body and blood of Jesus. What most priests do is gather every left overseas at the pallette and charlice used in distributing it into one charlice pours the wine and drink and excess kept in the tabernacle. Reason is the priest at the holy mass represents peter, the rock the church was built and he is a host and authority to keeping the sanctity of the Eucharist and also a bridge to bring faithfuls to Jesus.
Biggaboi:

That's right. There's no such thing as leftovers!
AkunnaTochi:

Oga, the Eucharist isn't meant for kids. It's meant for discerning believers who are in a state of grace.
Kindly read up 1 Cor. 11:23-30.

I don't know how you Protestants see the Eucharist but for us Catholics, it is the body and blood, soul and divinity of our Lord. The real presence.
Not for kids, brother.
Not for kids.

Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by nonye6194: 9:28am On Jan 30, 2018
DREAMZZZ:
Men my church catholic my wicked priest dey chop everything digest am with wine for our front as hunger dey fire us

That's false sire. what he does at the end of distribution of communion is to gather all the communion left unshared from other ciboria into one ciborium. then cleans it with a linen. what he eats is barely pieces of crumb left in the ciborium. But if the leftover is very little, then he he's authorized by the Vatican II to consume it, which is rare for a big parish
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by Templa(m): 1:43pm On Jan 30, 2018
spongeisback:

You will dey listen to fake news network?? Repent.. CNN is FAKE NEWS
Re: Holy Communion Leftover: Should It Be Disposed Or Shared? by LogicStatement: 5:41pm On Jan 30, 2018
spongeisback:

"Chickens at the farm feed on the extra dough from remnants of communion wafers, made by cloistered nuns who live on the property." - CNN 2017
Here is the full article to avoid misquotation https://www.local10.com/news/international/harvest-time-at-the-popes-farm

There is difference between communion and Holy Communion. Communion is an unleavened bread made from dough while Holy Communion or Eucharist is the body and blood of Christ which is, through transubstantiation of the bread and wine by the prayers of a priest during Holy Mass. Note that communion and its wafers/crumps can be eaten by anybody and be fed to animals because it's only a bread- food. Nuns or Revered Sisters often make this bread for use by the Catholic church.
You can visit any convent near you where this communion is made, I tell you, you will eat enough of it if you want, but for the one that has been transubstantiated to the body of Christ, u will not have access to it unless given to you by a priest only if you are in a state of grace.

cc: AkunnaTochi
Biggaboi
micflo28
Pavore9
ProfEinstein
Templa
TLisieux
phemmyfour

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Pagans Are Responsible For The Draw-backs In Nigeria" / "Child Witches" Of Akwa Ibom - Story By Umari Ayim / What Does "The Wages Of Sin Is Death" Really Means

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.