Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,179 members, 7,807,569 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:27 PM

Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) (15428 Views)

Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 / Honda Accord 99 Or Kia Rio 2006 / Purchasing A New Kia Rio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Aare1(m): 4:36pm On Apr 16, 2010
Saw this accidented Kia Rio and it sruck me as quite odd that there was no sign of airbag deployment in the car??

Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by KunleA2(m): 5:59pm On Apr 16, 2010
That's the type of cars sent to Naija and cant be compared to the US specs at all.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Fhemmmy: 6:13pm On Apr 16, 2010
Most of the brand new ride on sale in Nigeria by the Dealers such as Kia are selling junks on wheels to the people and so sad that people are buying it, thanks to our government that has nothing to protect our citizen.
Most of the good rides are below standard and stripped down to maximize profit.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by GeorgeD1(m): 6:58pm On Apr 16, 2010
what a shame! koreans ripping off nigerians! angry
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Nobody: 7:03pm On Apr 16, 2010
George_D:

Usually, it's the Nigerian dealerships that request stripped-to-the-bone models. The Koreans, and other manufacturers aren't responsible.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Fhemmmy: 7:11pm On Apr 16, 2010
George_D:

This has nothing to do with the Koreans at all.
The Kia Rio in this part of the world has all the safety that are needed.
But Nigerian govt are too busy stealing money and no get time to check safety of what comes to Nigeria.

Another reason why brand new car being bought in Nigeria is a waste of money and time
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Nobody: 7:23pm On Apr 16, 2010
Fhemmmy:

[b]This has nothing to do with the Koreans at all.
But Nigerian govt are too busy stealing money and no get time to check safety of what comes to Nigeria.

Another reason why brand new car being bought in Nigeria is a waste of money and time
[/b]

You got it bang on, Fhemmmy. smiley
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 7:55pm On Apr 16, 2010
There is a Kia Rep/Marketer on nairaland (Indie22 I think)- It will be very interesting to know IF this is from them. I doubt that for real because Ive been to their VI office (Kia Motors) and most of their models there were with Airbags - they even have some rare models there.

I wonder where this came from.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by octar6: 9:01pm On Apr 16, 2010
@onwan,how far na?
The truth is that,airbags are written on the dash board of these cars.even the 1 we saw in the pix. But the once packaged for naija got no airbags at all,although airbags are written in them oh.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Fhemmmy: 9:06pm On Apr 16, 2010
Onwan:

There is a Kia Rep/Marketer on nairaland (Indie22 I think)- It will be very interesting to know IF this is from them. I doubt that for real because Ive been to their VI office (Kia Motors) and most of their models there were with Airbags - they even have some rare models there.

Chief, i will bet anything that as long as the Kia Rio was not imported from North America and assembled somewhere else, it has no Airbag, or might have just one by the steering wheel and nothing else.
They are selling piece of junks to Nigerians and i think that is totally criminal
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Aare1(m): 10:10pm On Apr 16, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Chief, i will bet anything that as long as the Kia Rio was not imported from North America and assembled somewhere else, it has no Airbag, or might have just one by the steering wheel and nothing else.
They are selling piece of junks to Nigerians and i think that is [color=#990000][b]totally criminal
[/b][/color]

My thots exactly. angry
Onwan:

Onwan i saw this car well well, the car was definitely purchased in naija via the accredited dealers
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Fhemmmy: 2:23am On Apr 17, 2010
Aare 1:

My thots exactly. angry
Onwan i saw this car well well, the car was definitely purchased in naija via the accredited dealers

No need to even worry, i remember that the subject has came up before on a thread and even the seller of that brand agreed to the fact.
God will surely save Nigerians.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by chelseabmw(m): 3:05am On Apr 17, 2010
[size=13pt]kia is just a waste of money, Does not have any valve[/size]
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Fhemmmy: 3:07am On Apr 17, 2010
chelseabmw:

[size=13pt]kia is just a waste of money, Does not have any valve[/size]

I would re-word that to Nigerian stripped down Kia Rio is a waste of money
The one sold here are equipped with all the safety that is needed.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 11:50am On Apr 17, 2010
This safety compromise is a very dangerous one.

Its bad enough that Kia is a very weak and fragile brand - now they dont even care about safety? Its not fair at all.

My point though is this;

@Aare 1
Kia Nigeria in VI has models up to 6M - They have this new SUV for 6M, and something to counter the Suzuki SX4, looks nice - Are you saying that Kia Motors Nigeria is selling those brand new vehicles, with Airbag written on the dashboard and there is actually no airbag or airbag deployment?? - It is actually criminal and I dont imagine it is true.

@Fhemmmy
I know that there are some dealers and car lots that sell that same Rio "brand new" for a fraction of the price of the new one - could this have come from one of them or are you stuck sure its from Kia Motors dealership?

Im not a Kia fan by any means (though they have some nice designs that are clones of the real things - For me they are like disposables with expiry dates) BUT we all know that just like with other brands like Honda and Toyota, some dealers have ways of getting the "Brand New" of these vehicles, which are of cause arranged stripped down models of the real thing (Just like Siena rightly put it). I would like us to differentiate these facts and confirm IF Kia Motors Nigeria (VI for instance) sold that brand or sells the likes.

I wont knock Kia Motors Nigeria for that vehicle because I do not know if they sold it and because I am aware that road side dealers arrange the same vehicles and label them brand new for a fraction of the price of the new ones from Kia Motors' lot.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Fhemmmy: 1:04pm On Apr 17, 2010
Onwan, you have raise a very good point of differentiating btw a dealer that sells the stripped down brand new and the dealers that will not mind to sell the real thing, or the % of rides that are stripped to the real thing.
However, i think this boils down to the educationing of people on automobiles and their prices, we have said this on this forum, time without number that if something sounds too good to be true, it is probably garbage.

Now i wish there is a way for us to find out the dealer that sold that ride and a way for us to find out which dealership that has such on their lot, as well as find if there are quota of importation, cos the lives of our fellow citizens are in danger with such nonsense.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 1:17pm On Apr 17, 2010
@Fhemmmy
Personally, I would advise that IF one wants to buy a brand new Kia vehicle, one should go to Kia Motors Nigeria - One must not expect the best from anything else. Your point is very true about the very vital need to educate people - its actually the difference between buying a good vehicle and buying a lemon - and for that kind of money? its simply criminal.

Sincerely speaking, IF one can budget for or afford a brand new Range Rover (for instance) - it will be insane to walk into a dealer's shop with 15M; It will be appropriate to at least go on to the manufacturer's website and find out as much as possible who one can buy from in Nigeria and IF Coscharis pops up, then Coscharis it is. Same thing goes for any other brand. Anything apart from this is not real.

I beleive to a large extent that anyone can put up anything for sale (really), BUT its the buyer who should be very careful not to fall into the wrong hands. So If you dont want to get a rotten apple, get it from the tree.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by oblo(m): 2:15pm On Apr 17, 2010
^^ Guy you make brain!!
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by elms: 5:15pm On Apr 17, 2010
How come nobody is also thinking of the possibility of a defective airbag (SRS) system in this car. I have seen a lot of people driving their so called american/japanese machines (cars) with their airbag lights on on the dashboard and yet they dont think about checking it out. I think we are all jumping to hasty conclusions. The lights on your instruments cluster are to warn in case there is a problem and that is why the airbag light is RED not green. So there could have been another side to these stories. Mind you, i am not a kia or hyundai lover.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by GeorgeD1(m): 6:58pm On Apr 17, 2010
elms,
the airbags have to be there in the first place before we can talk of their system being defective.

these naija korean junks don't have any airbags in them to start with!  grin
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Sammiejo: 7:19pm On Apr 17, 2010
@op poster. How did you confirm there are no airbags in the car?
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Aare1(m): 7:33pm On Apr 17, 2010
Onwan:

Its bad enough that Kia is a very weak and fragile brand - now they dont even care about safety? Its not fair at all.

My point though is this;

@Aare 1
Kia Nigeria in VI has models up to 6M - They have this new SUV for 6M, and something to counter the Suzuki SX4, looks nice - Are you saying that Kia Motors Nigeria is selling those brand new vehicles, with Airbag written on the dashboard and there is actually no airbag or airbag deployment?? - It is actually criminal and I dont imagine it is true.

@Fhemmmy
I know that there are some dealers and car lots that sell that same Rio "brand new" for a fraction of the price of the new one - could this have come from one of them or are you stuck sure its from Kia Motors dealership?

Im not a Kia fan by any means (though they have some nice designs that are clones of the real things - For me they are like disposables with expiry dates) BUT we all know that just like with other brands like Honda and Toyota, some dealers have ways of getting the "Brand New" of these vehicles, which are of cause arranged stripped down models of the real thing (Just like Siena rightly put it). I would like us to differentiate these facts and confirm IF Kia Motors Nigeria (VI for instance) sold that brand or sells the likes.

I wont knock Kia Motors Nigeria for that vehicle because I do not know if they sold it and because I am aware that road side dealers arrange the same vehicles and label them brand new for a fraction of the price of the new ones from Kia Motors' lot.

if you have a software that you can use to zoom the picture, check the windscreen around the area were there is breakage, the paper stuck on it says Dana Motors. If i have the opportunity to go to the area were the car is packed i'll take a better shot, almost took anoda pic today but forgot b4 i finally left. But believe me when i tell you that the car was sold at Dana Motors, cos i made a concious to look at the back of the car, the Dana sticker was there,which was when i realised the sticker on the windscreen too.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Thelonius: 7:36pm On Apr 17, 2010
I doubt it hasn't. Every industry has industry safety standards and regulations and all cars must meet these standard before they're certified for use. The law's been amended continuously. The only explanation is that the triggering system's defective.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Aare1(m): 7:40pm On Apr 17, 2010
Onwan:

My point though is this;

@Aare 1

@Fhemmmy

if you have a software that you can use to zoom the picture, check the windscreen around the area were there is breakage, the paper stuck on it says Dana Motors. If i have the opportunity to go to the area were the car is packed i'll take a better shot, almost took anoda pic today but forgot b4 i finally left. But believe me when i tell you that the car was sold at Dana Motors, cos i made a concious to look at the back of the car, the Dana sticker was there,which was when i realised the sticker on the windscreen too.

Sammiejo:

@op poster. How did you confirm there are no airbags in the car?

i looked inside the car and the steering wheel was intact, no sign of deployment on the driver's side or passenger's side, infact if the airbag had deployed, i want to believe you'll have seen a sign from the windscreen
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by aloyemeka2: 7:50pm On Apr 17, 2010
[size=14pt]The Nigerian model Toyota Corolla has no airbags too. Shuo[/size]
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by samcc30(m): 8:06pm On Apr 17, 2010
hi
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Igwe9(m): 8:15pm On Apr 17, 2010
what a shame, and the buyers ain't helping matters either. sad
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by mee2: 8:27pm On Apr 17, 2010
YOU NIGERIANS ARE BUSY BLAMING KOREANS, HOW MANY VEHICLES HAVE YOU PRODUCED AS A COUNTRY?
AND YOU ARE BUSY RAISING TANTRUMS. YOUR GRADUATE ENGINEERS CANNOT EVEN DESIGN A CIRCUIT AND YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT AIRBAGS. DO YOU KNOW THE MECHANISM BEHIND DESIGNING A VEHICLE. I THINK YOU NIGERIANS NEED TO BE COLONIZED THE SECOND TIME. THIS TIME BY THE KOREANS. IT IS CLEAR YOU CANNOT SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS YOURSELVES. TAKE FOR INSTANCE, POWER GENERATION, REAL ESTATE, RESTAURANTS. VERY SOON YOU WILL COMPLETELY BE TURNED INTO SLAVES. VERY SOON!
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by ziga: 8:37pm On Apr 17, 2010
@post and replies

The fact that you do not see airbags in the PICTURE of a car is enough to deduce that kia rio doesn't come with airbags

Nigeria is a world of rumors and no facts.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by rickie4us(m): 8:48pm On Apr 17, 2010
to me, the less the features, the less expensive the car. not all cars have the basics.
even some brand new cars still make use of manual windows , check out the new cars Akala bought as Taxis in Ibadan.
some of the models don't even have air bags. .   they are just basic models
if you want more options, then you pay more
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by violent(m): 8:58pm On Apr 17, 2010
I believe some reformist lawyers ought to drag their behind to civil courts for this rubbish, it is totally criminal in nature and irritatingly deceitful as well. . . . the owner ought to forward petitions to the judicial office and seek legal means for the cost of damages the company did to him with their lies.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by MsTom(f): 9:04pm On Apr 17, 2010
Fhemmmy:

This has nothing to do with the Koreans at all.

True! But isnt there a way for the buyer to check if they do have airbags or not? Not sure. We should be responsible for our safety too even if the govt refuses to do their end of the deal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? / Best Place To Keep Your Car Spare Key / Audi Ditches Russian Doll Car Design So That You Can Differentiate All Its Model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.