Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! (23459 Views)

Rock Music Is Satanic? / Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria / Any Fans Of Rock Music On Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by bluespice(f): 12:50am On Apr 20, 2010
from alternative to metal, i'm a rocker thru n thru
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by revomind(m): 12:57am On Apr 20, 2010
Well I'm not suprised there are a lot of rock fans here. I love rock too just love rap a bit more. I'm suprised no one has mentioned the killers. Those guys are awesome. Think their first album 'hot fuss' made it to the best 100 albums chart of the noughties. Won't lie,it was the first rock album i heard completely. Red Hot Chilli Peppers are good too. Wonder why they are not getting a mention from anyone. 'By The Way' in 2001 was a good effort. Stumbled across a Marilyn Manson album recently and boy was i suprised! I think the band is not overrated at all. Other favorites are 3 Doors Down and One Republic.
Rock can't really penetrate Naija. Most folks think its jargon and certainly think you're weird when you've got a huge rock playlist. Don't see rock concerts selling out and naija rock bands with meaningful commercial success generally. Too bad.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Shaunscot(m): 1:17am On Apr 20, 2010
revomind:

Well I'm not suprised there are a lot of rock fans here. I love rock too just love rap a bit more. I'm suprised no one has mentioned the killers. Those guys are awesome. Think their first album 'hot fuss' made it to the best 100 albums chart of the noughties. Won't lie,it was the first rock album i heard completely. Red Hot Chilli Peppers are good too. Wonder why they are not getting a mention from anyone. 'By The Way' in 2001 was a good effort. Stumbled across a Marilyn Manson album recently and boy was i suprised! I think the band is not overrated at all. Other favorites are 3 Doors Down and One Republic.
Rock can't really penetrate Naija. Most folks think its jargon and certainly think you're weird when you've got a huge rock playlist. Don't see rock concerts selling out and naija rock bands with meaningful commercial success generally. Too bad.

I have The Killers' albums Sam's town and Day and Age.
Like I mentioned earlier,I prefer punk rock and alternatives.
Also have Blue October,The Rasmus,Blink 182,Simple Plan,Good Charlotte (Young and hopeless),Yellow Card,Staind,Sum 41,Bowling for soup,3 doors down,All linking park, My collection is endless.

Bandit C.:

I personally listen to every genre except any type of metal, thrash or death, those do not appeal to me.

I love rock but only listen to just Linkin' Park since i got lots of their albums on my iPhone. I love all their albums, from Hybrid Theory, Meteora down to Collision Course. Then again, i like the kid Mike Shinoda a lot, so that could explain it.

You missed out re-animation and minutes to midnite.With the latest single New Divide
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Ruq: 1:32am On Apr 20, 2010
@sinistyle yeah i keep screamin to make my voice like chester's but it won't but i know how to fit in my voice to the kind of song am gonna do!
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by wendoworld(m): 1:46am On Apr 20, 2010
OmO mehn, i love all type of music (including fuji self) but i did not make room for rock back then, but when i decided to give it a try i never regreted making that decision. It got to some extent i was listening to only rock music for like 4months, Though it is sad to admit, but i think i am more in love with rock music than other genres, Especially now wey pink dey run me mad cheesy , Though i still love others (genres) too but i think rock is overtaking
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by xcolanto(m): 2:20am On Apr 20, 2010
BIG UPS to all da rock fans in da house!! had to identify with ya`ll, cool
just listening to Gorillaz-Dare grin grin
peace ya`ll
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by iJAY1: 3:51am On Apr 20, 2010
Why aren't Nigerian musicians interested in nice slow rocks as done by Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson, Nickelback etc. I really love 'em you kno.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Nobody: 4:06am On Apr 20, 2010
nickleback has a very unique gravelly voice- might be rather hard to match that.

however, nigerian artists have their own genre I guess.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by sage(m): 4:37am On Apr 20, 2010
i-JAY:

Why aren't Nigerian musicians interested in nice slow rocks as done by Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson, Nickelback etc. I really love 'em you kno. 

I love slow rock. I would love for the likes of Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson to host a rock concert in Lagos. I love all rock though. My favourite genres are Rock and Country

To all the rockers in the house, you guyz ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!(literally) wink cheesy
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by sage(m): 4:42am On Apr 20, 2010
@Amya

There are so many of us you dont even have an idea wink cheesy grin
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Nobody: 4:48am On Apr 20, 2010
sage:

I love slow rock. I would love for the likes of Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson to host a rock concert in Lagos. I love all rock though. My favourite genres are Rock and Country

they're white

not sure if those types (ie musicians) get invited to Nigeria? (someone correct me if I'm wrong). There'd be an uproar perhaps.

I dont remember too many white musicians having concerts in naija unless its in a religious setting.

possibly something to do with nationalism. As it is, black people arent even supposed to listen to "white" music.

Rather strange though because Peter gabriel did do some concerts with Youssou N'dour. U2 also does aid concerts in Africa.

My assumptions could be wrong however.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by tunde121oke: 7:36am On Apr 20, 2010
i love eben and i started loving ROCK
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Ehido(m): 8:02am On Apr 20, 2010
Y'all are very great

I have been able to pick some new acts and some good songs from your postings.

I was just thinking if Chad Hroeger and Amy lee come together and do a collabo, men that will be one hell of a song. Those two have the nicest voice I have ever heard.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Ehido(m): 8:19am On Apr 20, 2010
To those arguing if Robie Williams or Black Eyed Peas are rock artists, they are not but they have done some rock songs, A true rock fan does not look out for any particular artist. Most times I hear the song first even before I discover who the artist is for example

Whitney houston sang I look to you ( a very goog rock song).
Robbie Williams sang come undone, angels, feel (very good rock songs)
Even P diddy sang Come with me soundtrack for Godzilla it featured Jimmy Page (listen to it and tell me its not rock)
Micheal Jackson sang Give in to me (listen to it and tell me its not rock)
Even this song done by Usher "You got me bad" has serious rock in it.
The list is endless.

How come nobody is mentioning six pence non the richer (Kiss me),

The last album that by Carlos santana where he featured michelle Branch, Chad kroeger, dido e.t.c. is one very tight album.

Rock is all about the Guitar men, when you here rock you know its rock.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by wendoworld(m): 8:25am On Apr 20, 2010
cry cry cry cry cry cry o thank you nairalanders, for making me realize that i have been a rock fan ever since, cuz i have listened liked loved some of the songs you guys posted here without knowing they are rock genre songs embarassed and most of them are the type of songs i like to listen to, i mean i cant express how i feel right now cuz PINK is jamming SOBER into my ear cheesy
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by wendoworld(m): 8:29am On Apr 20, 2010
please i stand to be corrected o but me thinks that BLACK EYED PEA`S- I GOT A FEELING is a techno genre, (please note: i love that song too die!!) grin
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by easimoni(m): 8:29am On Apr 20, 2010
chic2pimp:

Did someone just call Robbie Williams a Rock Artist? undecided

Let me entertain you is def a rock song. But he def does a lot more pop than rock
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by ELEOVIE(m): 8:30am On Apr 20, 2010
Even the churches here in Nigeria do a lot of rock music as opposed to 5yrs ago. I know of a Church in Warri that (notable for worhip with rock songs) does most of her praise and worship with rock songs. I hear they are planning on opening a branch in Lagos,
I am a rock freak. Rock is my comfort zone.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by silkshock: 8:32am On Apr 20, 2010
I'm a rock fan, Love the strings, the drums, which I play, Crazy about it
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by easimoni(m): 8:45am On Apr 20, 2010
Any one into Alternative or Punk rock? Try the playlist below

Fall out boy; "thnks fr th mmrs"
Foo Fighters; "learn to fly"
Kings of Leon; "Use somebody"
Franz Ferdinand; "Take me home"
The Offspring; "Keep em separated"
The hives; "Walk Idiot Walk"
Goo Goo Dolls; "Slide"
Miss Li; "Bourgeois Shangri-La"
Panic at the disco; "The only difference between suicide and matrydom is press coverage"
the killers; "Somebody told me" & "When we were young"
Red hot Chilli Peppers; "Tell me baby"
Counting Crows; "Mr Jones" - I always do this one at Karaoke and get funny looks from my 9ja peeps grin
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 8:52am On Apr 20, 2010
[quote author=revomind link=topic=431890.msg5920966#msg5920966 date=12717214
[quote][/quote]

you'll be surprised at how much rock fans are presently in nigeria. I know lot's of people who like rock but don't it's rock. People usually have thd misconception that rock music must be hard rock or heavy metal. Lot's of people like linkin park, avril lavaign, greenday, chris cornell, and other mainstream rock artiste. Amongst my acquaintances alone, a high percentage are rock fans.

Rock has come to stay in nigeria,
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by meggieblac: 8:58am On Apr 20, 2010
i'm such a fan of rock, maybe that's why i hate 99.9% of naija music.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by wendoworld(m): 9:00am On Apr 20, 2010
i remember the first time i listened to my immortal by evanescence, i remember yabbing the bros that was playing it that he was listening to a vampire`s music grin , but he laughed and called me a small boy shocked shocked angry after staying weeks with the guy, to my own greatest surprise when the bros goes out, i will sneak into his room just to listen to that same song grin grin and thats when i think i started listening to rock, now i remember cheesy
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by onmyown(m): 9:45am On Apr 20, 2010
i was a vocalist with a band called thunder 'n' lightning here in nigeria. i came after one or two of the original members had moved on. jeremiah giang (a damn good musician was the keyboardist). we had a guitarist called hendricks who if he had a choice would have ended up in a rock music hole. hes over in the uk now i think. xtina the sister did great voacls and did awesome interpretations of some stuff. she has been critisised as been too cool in her rock renditions but i defer.

i say all this to say that some people have tried out their hands at rock here in nigeria. the responce has been, to say the least, minimal. will you get a full house if a rock show was held? i doubt much.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by ELEOVIE(m): 10:27am On Apr 20, 2010
I am currently working on a rock album. It will be completed by the end of May. Though this album has been in the making since January, I have had problems with the musicians and friends with how they view rock in Nigeria. They have been reluctant to contribute to the project, many times I see that they feel inferior to their peers who listen or produce hip hop because they are made to believe that rock songs are too easy to make up.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by harpo(m): 10:35am On Apr 20, 2010
theres a new group still coming up though LUCID STORM(NAIJA GROUP) they ar good watch out
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Nobody: 10:39am On Apr 20, 2010
@Ehido:
Thanks for the Evanescence Tip, I didn't know about their first album "Origin", guess you're more of a fan than I am, now for me to go look for it! grin grin

Did you guys hear the song Timbaland did with fall out boy, "One and only",
then stained, sting, etc, ah I can go on and on, lol
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by snthesis(m): 10:47am On Apr 20, 2010
fell in lov with rock d moment i hed Cranberries-Zombie, a total blast some yrs past, and i havent lookd back. there ar a number of rock artist in 9ja, and dnt get it confused we have basically 2classes:  soft rock i.e the likes of nicki laoye, ectera, lifehouse, coldplay, gorrillaz, then we have hard rock- i.e metallica, foo-fighters, system of a down, cranberries(cant rili place them), licken park,nightwish etc.
what ever happened to rockcity a radio program on metrofm in lagos, enjoyed the combo of doris and wale owolabi, and all ofcourse the progenitor Sulai
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by chrisrock(m): 10:58am On Apr 20, 2010
I think i  am more than a rock fan i think i am a Rockaholic,rock is my everything,and @poster there are rock bands in Nigeria but just few of them.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by tollu: 11:10am On Apr 20, 2010
Awww sweet rock.

I fell in love with rock some centuries back wen I got this Dave Mirra game on Playstation.
Luv it luv it luv it.

snthesis:

fell in lov with rock d moment i hed Cranberries-Zombie, a total blast some yrs past, and i havent lookd back.

what ever happened to rockcity a radio program on metrofm in lagos, enjoyed the combo of doris and wale owolabi, and all ofcourse the progenitor Sulai

Really love dat Zombie song man.

I remeber dat show as well was it on Metro FM or Eko fm? Can't remember for sure now
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by chrisrock(m): 11:27am On Apr 20, 2010
i remeber dat show as well was it on Metro FM or Eko fm? Can't remember for sure now
[quote][/quote]
The name of the programme is ROCK CITY ON METRO FM,every tuesday and thursday from 4:30 to 5:30pm,dont miss it.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Shaunscot(m): 12:03pm On Apr 20, 2010
harpo:

theres a new group still coming up though LUCID STORM(NAIJA GROUP) they ar good watch out

I know LUCID STORM and it seems they have potentials to be class.

I'll be honest though, I wasnt impressed with their rendition of the National Anthem.

Other Nigerian rock tracks that are okay include Eben (God Dey,Imaranma), Neyo(NEPA Bring the light, No network) and Rooftop MC's (shock Therapy)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Top Radio Shows In Lagos/Nigeria? / 10 Rising Artists Music Listeners Should Keep A Tab On In 2021 / Which Of These Current Nigerian Musicians Surprised You The Most?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.